Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Car
    E Murphy
    C Wallace H Lawlor C Delaney
    M Cody P Deegan M Carey
    C Fogarty A Murphy
    B Ryan W Walsh J Maher
    B Sheehan R Hogan G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Walsh
    A Nolan
    T Kenny
    D Blanchfield
    N Brassil
    L Scanlon
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    T O'Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I don't generally like to complain about the teams but would it hurt to drop Aylward for Carlow and give someone like Scanlon a go from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Kil v Car
    E Murphy
    C Wallace H Lawlor C Delaney
    M Cody P Deegan M Carey
    C Fogarty A Murphy
    B Ryan W Walsh J Maher
    B Sheehan R Hogan G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Walsh
    A Nolan
    T Kenny
    D Blanchfield
    N Brassil
    L Scanlon
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    T O'Dwyer

Surprisingly not more changes I thought brennan might get the goal but brassil and Donnelly both playing fitzgibbon so no harm letting them prepare for their semi finals next week.This team suprised most of us last week so they deserve another go.Its a long time since we racked up a big score like last week so hopefully they go well again.Richie playing his first game will probably grab headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

I don't generally like to complain about the teams but would it hurt to drop Aylward for Carlow and give someone like Scanlon a go from the start

Agreed and I think Richie is an odd choice too.

Comerman wrote: »
    Agreed and I think Richie is an odd choice too.

Scanlon,brassil,blanchfield etc have fitzgibbon next week so that is probably the reasoning behind this.i thought aylward tried very hard last week and it's a big league for him he will have to impress or he could be under pressure.Wouldnt mind getting a look at tadgh dwyer.Agreed bout richie I thought he might of being wrapped up and try get him right for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I don't mind Richie playing. With all the games he's missed over the last few years I like to see him on the field to get game fit when possible

brookville wrote: »
    Scanlon,brassil,blanchfield etc have fitzgibbon next week so that is probably the reasoning behind this.i thought aylward tried very hard last week and it's a big league for him he will have to impress or he could be under pressure.Wouldnt mind getting a look at tadgh dwyer.Agreed bout richie I thought he might of being wrapped up and try get him right for the summer.
    The league is a place to nurture new players and rest the older "seasoned" players in my opinion. Tadgh is a very good hurler but will he get a chance to prove himself in the next few weeks?? Along with others.

The league is a place to nurture new players and rest the older "seasoned" players in my opinion. Tadgh is a very good hurler but will he get a chance to prove himself in the next few weeks?? Along with others.

I agree the league should be used to blood inexperienced lads and we started a mostly inexperienced team against dublin.doubt tadgh dwyer will see much game time but he is a dangerous corner foward hopefully he will get a run along with others who impressed with their clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

The standard of hurling tonight is on another level compared to what we can offer. Great movement from both sets of forwards with pace and skill. Compare that to Kilkennys movement.
    Look at who Tipp have on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

mullinr2 wrote: »
    The standard of hurling tonight is on another level compared to what we can offer. Great movement from both sets of forwards with pace and skill. Compare that to Kilkennys movement.
    Look at who Tipp have on the bench

Hope your just playing the poor mouth. Half a Kilkenny team with 14 men beat Dublin last weekend but apparently we are terrible. Only watching the 1st half of tonight's game now and it's nice open hurling with hardly a shoulder laid on anyone. Don't think we need to over react at all. As far as I remember Kilkenny were in the All Ireland final last year so need to worry just yet.

• Advertisement

How was the shoulder to the head not a straight red as last week, inconsistency?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

How was the shoulder to the head not a straight red as last week, inconsistency?

Therein lies the enigma that is James Owens esq.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Seen better and harder hitting girls cricket games than that crap tonight .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Seen better and harder hitting girls cricket games than that crap tonight .

Once RTÉ get loads of scores who cares about the standard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

It was so bad I flicked over to mayo v Dublin which resembled something like a mans game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Zetor19 wrote: »
    It was so bad I flicked over to mayo v Dublin which resembled something like a mans game.

Ah now comon it wasn't that bad. Pitch looked in good condition, thought it was a good contest for the first of February.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

citykat wrote: »
    Therein lies the enigma that is James Owens esq.

True. The Tipp number 4 was on a yellow and clearly fouled on at least two more occasions but the ref ignored it.

Inconsistencies between refs is one thing but inconsistencies in the one match is ridiculous - like last Sunday.

Changes for the start
    Enda Morrisey corner forward for Ger Aylward Mossy Keoghan in for Conor Fogarty

John Donnelly on the bench instead of Liam Blanchfield

Changes for the start
    Enda Morrisey corner forward for Ger Aylward Mossy Keoghan in for Conor Fogarty

John Donnelly on the bench instead of Liam Blanchfield

Correction Aylward starts, Morrissey was announced in the stadium before the start

HT KK 1-12 to 0-05 CAR
    Carlow down to 14 men after the 8 minute for a similar challenge to Leahy last weekend on Huw Lawlor. He caught him square in the chest and I don't think he hit Huw's head a yellow for me but I'm on the opposite side to it. Forwards showing well but taking a bit to much out of the ball Sheehan set up James Maher for a nice goal and Wally missed another easy one and we probably could have had another 1 or 2. The wind is strong and we've been playing into it.

• Advertisement

HT subs
    Conor Browne in for Mikey Carey
    Brazzil in for Mossy

FT 3-21 to 0-9

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

How did richie do

HT KK 1-12 to 0-05 CAR
    Carlow down to 14 men after the 8 minute for a similar challenge to Leahy last weekend on Huw Lawlor. He caught him square in the chest and I don't think he hit Huw's head a yellow for me but I'm on the opposite side to it. Forwards showing well but taking a bit to much out of the ball Sheehan set up James Maher for a nice goal and Wally missed another easy one and we probably could have had another 1 or 2. The wind is strong and we've been playing into it.
    It was a straight red, caught Huw in the side of the head

Routine win.the sending off was the correct decision but lawlor just bounced back up infairness to him no rolling around the ground looking for a card.It was a heavy slap underneath the stand.Wallace played the spare man and mopped up alot of ball.Only criticism were his deliveries were high every time into the fowards.Browne came on as a corner back he didnt do a whole pile but he could be an option here.Kilkennys touch and speed was just a few seconds faster.Carlows discipline and giving out to the ref after conceding frees is an area they must improve.Unfortunately for them they have probably gone back a bit.
    Richie took his goal well and grew into the game.Maher done some good things as did alan murphy.Brassil was lively when he came on but went off with a hamstring injury hopefully he will be ok for the college.Big match now in a few weeks against wexford.We will have a better idea how we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Did anyone hear on KCLR who got man of the match?

laneykin wrote: »
    Did anyone hear on KCLR who got man of the match?

Heard Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

dubcat51 wrote: »
    How did richie do

Did ok and scored 1-3, didn't get on much ball for the first 20 minutes or so but was decent after that. Hard to judge on that game.

A decent performance but an easy victory in the end. Ger Aylward and Niall Brassil went off injured in the second half.
    Alyward and Richie Hogan got goals in the second half as well. Richie Hogan had been fairly quite in the first half but came into it when he left the square.
    Eoin Murphy 8- had very little to do got a few long range points and hit some nice puckouts
    Ciaran Wallace 8- was very good again but was the free man for a lot of the game. He delivered some nice balls forward
    Huw Lawlor 8- did well anytime the ball went in he even ventured forward occasionally, had at least one pop at the posts.
    Conor Delaney 8- was solid and played wing back for most of the second half his man had drifted so far out.
    Michael Cody 7- was good without being amazing was replaced after 50 mins by Tom Kenny
    Paddy Deegan 8- played well and mopped up lots of ball, still some dodgy deliveries but he tried harder to pick out good ones.
    Michael Carey 7- was alright and burst forward at times but it didn't workout for him, replaced by Conor Browne at half time.
    James Maher 9- played well particularly in the second half when he got motoring scored a nice goal in the first half and at least one nice point at the end.
    Alan Murphy 8- hit most frees on a windy day and overall was decent without being amazing.
    Billy Ryan 7- worked hard and had a few nice runs but never managed to get away from the covering defenders, replaced by Tadhg O'Dwyer after about 60mins
    Walter Walsh 8- used his strength and power and really should have had two goals ended up with a few nice points he led the forwards well but you would hope for more from him. If I was DJ or Gorta I'd take him aside and just work on scoring goals with Wally as he's getting in the position he's just not taking the right shot or at the right time.
    Mossy Keoghan 7- worked hard in the first 15-20 mins and was causing trouble but seemed to drift out of it which is understandable given how much he's played recently, replaced by Niall Brassil at half time.
    Bill Sheehan 8- played really well especially in the first half he won lots of ball and set up at least 2-3 and got a point himself. The summer will suit Bill better with harder ground he probably would have had a few goals himself today it would help him use his acceleration better.
    Richie Hogan 8- as I said above played better when he moved out of the square and got a great goal after a piercing run in from the wing by Brassil. Worked very hard all day.
    Ger Alyward 8- like the other two worked really hard and got his goal and got injured at the same time went off shortly afterwards and was replaced by Aidan Nolan after about 45 mins
    Subs
    Conor Browne 7- was ok without really impressing made a dart or two forward and played some nice ball in to the forwards
    Niall Brassil 8- played well when he came on and got at least one point. He took a silly shot from way out when Wally was 1 on 1 in the square. Wally roared at him, Brassil won the resulting puckout and made a mazy run through the Carlow defence laid off the ball to Wally who hit a great shot but the Carlow keeper made a great save in fairness. Got injured in the end looked like a hamstring maybe, didn't see who replaced him right at the end.
    Aidan Nolan 7- like Browne struggled to get into the game but did ok made a few nice runs forward.
    Tom Kenny 7- did well when he came in and looked comfortable would have liked to see him win a high ball or two made a nice run forward as well with a nice pass but the opportunity was squandered.
    Tadhg O'Dwyer - couldn't really rate him wasn't on long enough but made a nuisance of himself.

All town men came off the bench- 3 Village and 2 Boro.

A win as we'd expect, they were comfortable on a poor day, in fact the weather in Carlow seems to have been worse than it was in KK. That won't be good enough to beat any of the top teams but we weren't playing any of the top teams today. Wexford the next day after their defeat today will be interesting.

• Advertisement

It was a straight red, caught Huw in the side of the head

Fair enough as I said I was on the far side. In fairness to Huw he didn't make a meal of it and hopped up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement