Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

What kind of team would we like to see sunday or is there a chance the match might not go ahead if the bad weather continues.
    It looks like a few more regulars will return.the few lads hurling fitzgibbon Wednesday should be excluded this weekend although the the dcu lads could see action.
    This will be a game both teams will want to get a win and davie will probably bring back a few more of his big names.
    The team I'd like to see
    Murphy
    Wallace,lawlor,browne
    Delaney,deegan,cody
    Maher,murphy
    Wally,donnelly,billy
    Cody,hogan,sheehan
    Aylward has done well so far and will probably start but I'd like to see someone new like cody or shane walsh get a run or darren mullen in defence.Id also hope james bergin gets called in after having a good club and college campaign.We might see colin,joey and Padraig return to the bench but hopefully a few of the less established players get game time.
    It'll be intresting to see how we set up and play against the sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Carlows delivery into the forwards is worse than ours

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Huge disappointment for the Kilkenny lads involved with Carlow tonight. Dj will be devastated and the likes of leahy scanlan cleere blanchfield have lost the last 3 finals they’ve been in, 4 for the bennestbridge men. More positively I thought they all hurled decently ish. Leahy looked like he was told not to shoot and scanlan gave an awful handpass straight to fitzgibbon who went up and scored a great point from to put them a point up. Blanch broke a lot of ball and scored another goal which is good but he went out of it. As mentioned they just went route one which doesn’t offer much optimism that DJ will change our struggles we’re having in attack. Scanlan is much better out the field in my opinion.

On wexford obviously the league doesn’t really matter but it would not be nice to have wexford do a job on us again. Wexford seem to have a few back. I’d like to see Darren, Adrian and John Donnolly reintroduced while giving the carlow lads a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Huge disappointment for the Kilkenny lads involved with Carlow tonight. Dj will be devastated and the likes of leahy scanlan cleere blanchfield have lost the last 3 finals they’ve been in, 4 for the bennestbridge men. More positively I thought they all hurled decently ish. Leahy looked like he was told not to shoot and scanlan gave an awful handpass straight to fitzgibbon who went up and scored a great point from to put them a point up. Blanch broke a lot of ball and scored another goal which is good but he went out of it. As mentioned they just went route one which doesn’t offer much optimism that DJ will change our struggles we’re having in attack. Scanlan is much better out the field in my opinion.

On wexford obviously the league doesn’t really matter but it would not be nice to have wexford do a job on us again. Wexford seem to have a few back. I’d like to see Darren, Adrian and John Donnolly reintroduced while giving the carlow lads a rest.

I think your abit harsh on Blanchfield considering he came off injured after 25 mins with a hamstring injury that affected him when he scored the goal after about 5-10 mins despite the fact he still hurled relatively well when injured but as you said “he went out of it” despite not being on the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Kkman00 wrote: »
    I think your abit harsh on Blanchfield considering he came off injured after 25 mins with a hamstring injury that affected him when he scored the goal after about 5-10 mins despite the fact he still hurled relatively well when injured but as you said “he went out of it” despite not being on the pitch

Did forget to mention the injury sorry but I felt carlow had them in the first half and didn’t push on and thought he could have done a little better once or twice but nice to see him showing more positive form a goal in the quarters, semis and final. Hopefully he’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Question there. What was the name of the James Stephens goalie in the late 2000s? Was it Dermondy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Did forget to mention the injury sorry but I felt carlow had them in the first half and didn’t push on and thought he could have done a little better once or twice but nice to see him showing more positive form a goal in the quarters, semis and final. Hopefully he’s ok.

UCC had too much class when the game needed to be won. Carlow IT worked harder deserved there lead but class prevailed in the end, some of the points by Fitzgibbon, Kingston and Conway were top class.

Cork are creating a lot of talent down there

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

thesultan wrote: »
    Question there. What was the name of the James Stephens goalie in the late 2000s? Was it Dermondy?

Francie Cantwell and Derek Brennan were the two village goalies in the noughties

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

thesultan wrote: »

Frannie Cantwell?

• Advertisement

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Francie Cantwell and Derek Brennan were the two village goalies in the noughties
    2009 county final?

He made a great save at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Muntz39

Derek Brennan would have been in goals for the village by 2009 and I do remember him making a wonder-save from Henry in a county final or semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Village87 wrote: »
    UCC had too much class when the game needed to be won. Carlow IT worked harder deserved there lead but class prevailed in the end, some of the points by Fitzgibbon, Kingston and Conway were top class.

Cork are creating a lot of talent down there

Sad but true

I attended all three games (semis and final) and while DCU were unlucky (Donnelly was ridden all day and never got a free off Horgan and Adrian should have slotted the likely winner), Carlow weren't.

Carlow's hurling did not deserve to win
    One also has to be honest and say KK'S best 3/4 players on view last night (Leahy, Scanlon and Blanch) are not as good as UCC's equivalents (Fitzgibbon, Coleman, Kingston)

Conversely, I thought our best three on Sat (Donnelly and two Mullens) were and are every bit as good
    UCC would never have gota 6 point jump (against a gale) on DCU if two Mullens had started (I understand the logic, they hadn't been able to take part up till now, but FFS it's a semi)

Darren Mullen is a serious hurler and mad for action
    Seems to be a leader, really involved and driving people on
    Adrian is really filling up to be a serious physical presence, he looked like Eddie Keher in physique

Feel bad for Carlow, wont get a better shot (3 points up and extra man?) but never a bad thing to see the classier team come through

I am not getting in to an over analysis of Carlow's tactics
    I'd get too mad
    Stone Age stuff
    In the 2nd half you could hear the groans as yet another ball was skied

Finally, the spectacle of continually seeing a keeper hitting 100-120 yard frees (even when on target) leaves me cold, and does nothing for the game
    It especially sucks momentum and continuity out of it
    That's not taking from Rowland, he's a brilliant keeper.

btw
    Bergin from Conahy was tremendous on Sat for DCU in first half (was left with hopeless 1 on 3 situations all 2nd half)
    Mad for the ball and beat his man to it nearly every time including a few 30/70 ones he still won
    Effing lads out of it for taking crazy pot shots in dreadful windy conditions
    Definitely worth a look

Joey holden speaking at a glanbia thing yesterday said he doesn't expect the ballyhale contingent or padraig to return sunday but they are all back in with the count.I would also be in favour of easing these lads back Hopefully the few younger ballyhale lads make the bench and probably tommy and mossy will be there or there abouts.He also spoke about eoin cody and shane Walsh being brought in after impressing for their clubs
    Agree with the previous poster that james bergin deserves a look I know he wasnt called in a few weeks ago but with college hurling finished he might get the call.Darren mullen will hopefully see action soon alot of people looking forward to see can he make the step up .We know that davey and cody will be flat out to win this despite it only being February.it will be intresting to see what way we set up.Liam blanchfield could be out for a while but the positive thing is he is hurling with a bit of confidence.The cw lads should be given the weekend off but we might see the dcu lads return.
    If this storm comes this weekend the chances are this match might not go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »
    Joey holden speaking at a glanbia thing yesterday said he doesn't expect the ballyhale contingent or padraig to return sunday but they are all back in with the count.I would also be in favour of easing these lads back Hopefully the few younger ballyhale lads make the bench and probably tommy and mossy will be there or there abouts.He also spoke about eoin cody and shane Walsh being brought in after impressing for their clubs
    Agree with the previous poster that james bergin deserves a look I know he wasnt called in a few weeks ago but with college hurling finished he might get the call.Darren mullen will hopefully see action soon alot of people looking forward to see can he make the step up .We know that davey and cody will be flat out to win this despite it only being February.it will be intresting to see what way we set up.Liam blanchfield could be out for a while but the positive thing is he is hurling with a bit of confidence.The cw lads should be given the weekend off but we might see the dcu lads return.

Joey and Padraig are away on holidays this week I've been told so little chance of them playing.I was talking to one of James Begins family last week and they said he has been in county training. The team is very late I wonder are Cody and Davey playing their usual silly games and only announce the team 20mims before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Joey and Padraig are away on holidays this week I've been told so little chance of them playing.I was talking to one of James Begins family last week and they said he has been in county training. The team is very late I wonder are Cody and Davey playing their usual silly games and only announce the team 20mims before the game.

Not naming teams is ridiculous as the match programme would be already printed. The sooner the GAA take appropriate action over this issue the better.

Pleased to hear James Bergin is in. Any news on Cillian Buckley?

Good to see browne getting run corner back and buckley back.carey midfield is a suprise it would of being a good time to try Darren mullen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Programme will probably be the same team as last week. Not naming a team with 50 lads on the panel in February is a joke. Cody has the fear of god of Davy

Village87 wrote: »
    Programme will probably be the same team as last week. Not naming a team with 50 lads on the panel in February is a joke. Cody has the fear of god of Davy

Team is named released at half 10.i do agree davey spooks him but at least he isnt rushing lads back

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »

Kil v Wex
    E Murphy
    C Browne H Lawlor C Wallace
    C Delaney P Deegan C Buckley
    J Maher M Carey
    J Donnelly A Murphy M Keoghan
    B Ryan R Hogan W Walsh
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Walsh
    M Cody
    E Morrissey
    D Mullen
    T Kenny
    D Blanchfield
    A Nolan
    B Sheehan
    T O'Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Will the game even go ahead? Wind that's forecast is horrendous down there for Sunday

Tis windy down there on a normal day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Will the game even go ahead? Wind that's forecast is horrendous down there for Sunday

would be a concern there alright, even if it does go ahead the wind will run the spectacle thats what happened with us and clare 2 wks back. Of all the prominent hurling venues probably the 2nd worst for windy conditions after salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's somewhat unlikely I think. Pitch is in rag order and has some disease or some issue like that. Can't imagine it can hold too much water.

A good year for the Boro under age
    U13 finalists (robbed by ref who couldn't keep track of the score)
    U15 Champions
    U17 Champions
    U19 Champions
    U21 semi finalists lost to the eventual Champions O'Loughlin's.

would be a concern there alright, even if it does go ahead the wind will run the spectacle thats what happened with us and clare 2 wks back. Of all the prominent hurling venues probably the 2nd worst for windy conditions after salthill.
    There was a list of games called off for tomorrow and Wex v KK isn't among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

There was a list of games called off for tomorrow and Wex v KK isn't among them.

Any word of an early pitch inspection don't want to travel in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Any word of an early pitch inspection don't want to travel in vain.
    inspection at 9, 2nd inspection at 11 or 12 seen conflicting reports, i'd imagine the ref will have to do an inspection upon arrival. Weather in terms of rain is ok for tomorrow but wind very strong, depends on how today's rainfall effected the pitch, we played u20 football today in enniscorthy 15 miles up the road from Wexford park but thats a better surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

After walsh pk 2nd worst venue IMO.took me an hour over 2 year ago to get out of there.swore never again.allways a wind ruins the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement