Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Was talking to a friend and he had a chat with one of Galways backroom team this week. Basically that member of the backroom team is seriously concerned for Galway. He doesn't think they've been as focused this year. He thinks if they lose on Sunday they will seriously struggle to win the AI. He thought if there were a few more minutes last Sunday, Kilkenny could have won and if there was extra time he was sure we would have taken them then.

This does not mean we'll win or anything but its little indication that all is not 100% in Galway. I think their just not humming as they were last year. He thinks their players have been just a tiny bit complacent. I think if you asked the players they'd say "no we're working harder than last year" but this guy doesn't think it's been enough. It's also something you can't just turn on at will, I don't think so anyway.

This doesn't mean that Galway won't and can't beat us, I still think if they got a few goals they'd push on and beat us, unless we score a few ourselves which we don't really look like doing too easily. However I do think it shows that if we push them as hard again and put them under the same and even more pressure we can win the game. I think they showed a bit of this by not scoring for the last 7 or 8 minutes at the end of each half.

Galway got a little too complacent on Sunday going for goals when they were not on. Expect them take their points on Sunday and forget about goals. This strategy won them the all Ireland last year
    The work horses of Kilkenny turned them over when they tried the fancy stuff!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

This doesn't mean that Galway won't and can't beat us, I still think if they got a few goals they'd push on and beat us, unless we score a few ourselves which we don't really look like doing too easily. However I do think it shows that if we push them as hard again and put them under the same and even more pressure we can win the game. I think they showed a bit of this by not scoring for the last 7 or 8 minutes at the end of each half.

Well done on your previous match analysis. It would be pedantic to disagree with any of it. I still think we can do it too. This work ethic of Kilkenny and the black and amber tradition does have a mental effect on the opposition.

However, Goals! It is a concern I did feel the longer the drawn game went on whoever got a goal would win it. As it turned out nobody got one. Galway are not great at getting goals either. None at all last year in the championship. I think it is a problem at adult club level in Kilkenny. Coaches are coaching a lot of the creativity out of players working to strict conditions and plays. It is there naturally as evident by the magnificent seven from the minors. I've mentioned this before, but adult club matches are not getting a huge amount of goals. I think looking at the bigger picture, its something club coaches need to address, and I do say it in general terms. I'm sure someone will come up with a counter stat.

Good luck to the Junior footballers who take on Galway in the All-Ireland semi-final in Nowlan Park on Saturday at 4pm. Almost all are dual players, so hopefully the Kilkenny public will support them. They recently won the British Championship and are putting in huge efforts in an environment that is not fully supported by clubs and the Kilkenny public. I also hear that DJ Carey's footballers are playing a Galway development squad in the curtain raiser. It will be interesting to see how they are going. Plenty of weekend Kilkenny V Galway action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

That was always the fear with Galway, in that even though they are easily up there as one of the most talented hurling counties in Ireland, do they have the same drive, will to win etc that Kilkenny have in bucket loads, and Cork and Tipp definitely have as well, although not to the same extent as Kilkenny. Nobody has a divine right to win All Irelands, but Galway should be winning more, and they will never get a better opportunity to win another one or two than they have with the current squad. However if the same drive or hunger as the previous year is not there this year or next year, then it won't happen, and it will be yet another lost opportunity for Galway. While winning an All Ireland is a great achievement in itself, great teams go on to win two or three All Irelands, so next Sunday should tell us a lot as to where Galway 2018 are at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Reading the posts over the past few days it appears most are happy with Sundays performance yet Galway did look the more impressive team for most of the game. It is Kilkenny who were playing catch up and if we have to play catch up next Sunday it will not be so easy to catch them. They have been warned.. I do not wish to be hard on anyone after such a gutsy display but John Donnelly should start the replay, he had a part in all of the last three points we scored. just don't know who he should replace. Great position to be in though and unbelievable if one goes back to the first half of our first league game. Wonderful strides have been made and i feel there is even more improvement to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah the more I think about it Galway have been a small bit complacent this year. I heard they totally let themselves go when they went on the team holiday after doing preseason beforehand. The Kilkenny lads used to go enjoy the holiday but they'd make sure they went for a run or a do a bit of gym work every day, so as not to undo all the work they'd laid down. It sounds like Galway wintered well as we used to say, thats fair enough to a degree but you have to know when to stop, they may have done that too late. They have been catching up fitness wise ever since and thats not something that can be fixed on a recovery week.

I don't know if this great improvement that everyone is expecting will materialise. I do think they will be better but I don't think it will be a huge improvement. I think like last Sunday they will fade at the end of both halves as it's to be a scorcher on Sunday again (28/29C). I think as long as we don't concede a few goals we'll be well in it and can hopefully punish them again at the ends of both halves, when they start flagging.

We all know that when their on their game and full fit they're currently a better team than us but I think the situation gives us a great chance to catch them and propel ourselves on to a semi final. I also think we have a bigger deck for Cody to play with he has so many options up front, between picking the team and bringing in subs we have more options not as tried or tested as Galways but we have more lads to choose from, so we can find the correct one for the situation that arises.

I would be worried about Mossy's recovery after a hard slog last week, he and Bill Sheehan are in their first year of this kind of strength and conditioning program and that quick a turn around will probably be harder on him. Like many have said they'd like to see Richie Hogan in and I think he would be the best option if he's responded well to the game time.

My team I would go for
    E Murphy
    P Murphy, P Walsh, P Deegan
    J Holden, C Buckley, E Morrissey
    J Maher, C Fogarty
    B Ryan, TJ Reid, R Leahy
    W Walsh, R Hogan, G Aylward

I'd be amazed if he went with it as he normally changes it up in at least places for a replay if not more.

The back 9 all deserve another go and I'd be happy they will do the job again. I'd move Billy Ryan out as he's similar to Mossy and he's not afraid to get stuck in, he's fast as well and hopefully will contain P Mannion. I think if the player against Mannion is too physical like Donnelly or Blanchfield this could just turn into wrestling match allowing the Galway cover to come in and sweep up the ball, where what I think we want them to do is to drag Mannion around and try make space for others to use. The other two on the HF line speak for themselves.
    I'd move Wally to the corner to start and see how Hanbury handles him. I'd let Hogan try and drift around and hopefully tempt Daithi Burke away from goal, if not Richie will have plenty of space to do damage. I'd try Ger Aylward in the other corner and see how he goes on Touhy. I'd have Donnelly ready to spring from the bench as soon as a lad starts to flag. We also have Mossy, Fennelly, Blanchfield, Scanlon and Sheehan to bring in for the lads if they tire. There also won't be a nice big shadow over half the pitch in the second half and it'll be very tough day for both sides. The ground in Thurles is apparently like playing on concrete and that's going to be killer on lads feet, they'll get massive blisters on their soles. That will also count against the loser in trying to recover in 6/7 days for the quarter final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I wonder how close kevin kelly is to returning?A lad was that was watching it on tv told me joe lyng was doing the hurls good to see him still involved.
    id expect both to name same team but wouldnt be suprised to see one or two changes before 3 o clock on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

What slightly worries me for Sunday is that canning had a bad day on the frees last week and it's hard to see him missing as much again which will keep the scoreboard ticking over for them, also the Kilkenny backs will have to rule the skies again if we want to win. Last week was the first time in a while where our backs were consistently catching high balls over their markers. I'd be confident enough that they can dominate again and would be hopeful our forwards can catch abit more Sunday.

The team I'd like to see is:
    Murphy
    Murphy Walsh Deegan
    Holden Buckley Morreissy
    Maher Fogerty
    Wally Hogan Leahy
    Alyward TJ Ryan.

The hardest part of picking that team was leaving Donnolly out, I agree he was brilliant last week and against Wexford. Only reason I'd start Ger is because I don't think his game is suited to coming off the bench but I wouldn't be surprised if Donnolly did start. I would like to see Hogan at 11 and just see him roam around the place and see him cause problems. Wally and TJ could switch easily

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Has anyone managed to get decent tickets? Only ones I can find are in the corners.
    Looking for 2 or 3 if anyone has any spare 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Has anyone managed to get decent tickets? Only ones I can find are in the corners.

Hi, got section 208 old stand.

did you try nowlan park? usually better than super value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

The_Ghost wrote: »
    What slightly worries me for Sunday is that canning had a bad day on the frees last week and it's hard to see him missing as much again which will keep the scoreboard ticking over for them, also the Kilkenny backs will have to rule the skies again if we want to win. Last week was the first time in a while where our backs were consistently catching high balls over their markers. I'd be confident enough that they can dominate again and would be hopeful our forwards can catch abit more Sunday.

Murphy
    Murphy Walsh Deegan
    Holden Buckley Morreissy
    Maher Fogerty
    Wally Hogan Leahy
    Alyward TJ Ryan.

The hardest part of picking that team was leaving Donnolly out, I agree he was brilliant last week and against Wexford. Only reason I'd start Ger is because I don't think his game is suited to coming off the bench but I wouldn't be surprised if Donnolly did start. I would like to see Hogan at 11 and just see him roam around the place and see him cause problems. Wally and TJ could switch easily

I can't see Richie Hogan starting, I don't see him being fit enough to last 70 minutes yet and think he would be better used as a substitute when space opens up in the second half. Like the last day, I would expect us to bring in about 4 subs in the forwards. Players are bound to tire in the heat and after the exertions the last day. If we are to win, I think we will need to score more goals than Galway. Paul Murphy, Padraig Walsh and Joey Holden had their best games of the season the last day and I think we are going to need a few other to have their best games of the season next Sunday. I think 9 of the squad have at least two All Ireland medals and a further two players have won one All Ireland. Hopefully the blend of these players along with the new lads will get us over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

oconnol1 wrote:
    Hi, got section 208 old stand.

Any chance I can get 2 off you?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Looking for 2 or 3 if anyone has any spare ��

I cant go sunday have a adult and child season ticket.will give them to u if u mail me a number

blackcard wrote: »
    The_Ghost wrote: »

Murphy
    Murphy Walsh Deegan
    Holden Buckley Morreissy
    Maher Fogerty
    Wally Hogan Leahy
    Alyward TJ Ryan.

I can't see Richie Hogan starting, I don't see him being fit enough to last 70 minutes yet and think he would be better used as a substitute when space opens up in the second half. Like the last day, I would expect us to bring in about 4 subs in the forwards. Players are bound to tire in the heat and after the exertions the last day. If we are to win, I think we will need to score more goals than Galway. Paul Murphy, Padraig Walsh and Joey Holden had their best games of the season the last day and I think we are going to need a few other to have their best games of the season next Sunday. I think 9 of the squad have at least two All Ireland medals and a further two players have won one All Ireland. Hopefully the blend of these players along with the new lads will get us over the line.

I think we'll at least have to match our intensity and work rate sunday and hopefully score a goal or 2 and hope our backs produce another similar performance as last week but id expect both teams will try something different.
    it was unusuall both teams went long more often with puck outs and this could of possibly led to the stop start match we got.
    I thought our fowards worked extremely hard but galway were able to get there points from play a bit easier but our fowards didnt give their backs a chance to pick out men with quality ball.
    mossy and maher done a lot of donkey work and as we knew their half back line was the springboard for attack but cody got his tactics right the last day in hoping he'll have a trick up his sleeve for sunday.
    id expect gylnn to start sunday he has a great hand and likes to throw it out to the shooters.
    our team is im proving and learning every game deegan and maher have being 2 very good finds but i think donnelly is better coming on when the game us open.
    as i said both teams will probably make changes id like to see us putting wally in on hanbury or moving tj off ger mc because there 3 and 6 both seem to cancel out wally and tj for us.Itd be great to get the win sunday because it'll be a big ask for the loser facing a relatively fresh limerick side the following weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think we did well in the finish against Dublin as well but I agree that in general we have not caught fire at all yet. The last outing against galway didn't give much cause for optimism and neither did the u21 last week. But I dunno, I just have a feeling this weekend might go better than we're being given credit for. Our forwards have been, let's be honest, totally septic so far this summer. But we'll hopefully have a fully fit and back in his rhythm Richie Hogan, meaning the opposition won't be able to consider the job done once they bottle up TJ. No particular reason for the hope on this, just a feeling, I think he has a point to prove right now and this is the match to do it. Not pinning everything on that but in general I think the forwards are "due" a break out. A few players have been showing flashes here and there and it's like they're waiting to click. Donnelly, for example. Walter has been underrated this year IMO, he's doing good work coming out hunting for ball while at other times playing the old fashioned full forward.

But the forwards performance will depend on how well we have adjusted at the back since the last game. Cody is notoriously bad at making changes in matches (I think that's a little overstated but anyway it has some truth) but he's always been great at responding to what went wrong between games, and there's no way we'll be as naive again in terms of letting Buckley get completely bottled up coming out with possession again, if they are serious about developing the passing game it's one thing to talk about giving good ball to the forwards, but the backs need to be supporting each other in possession to make that possible, if you're clearing under pressure that's impossible. I think with the extra space that will suit Buckley et al.

Can't do much about the physicality, Galway are just bigger tougher men than our lads, but that is no reason at all to be bullied. There needs to be a much bigger mean streak to the backs, a bit of bouldness. Paul Murphy needs to lead the way on that, make an early statement and less by example that this **** of being horsed out of it and pushed around isn't going to happen today.

But I have a good feeling. Kk by 1 or 2 is my prediction.

This was my prediction last week, I felt like there was likely to be a tactical response from Cody to the round robin game, mainly centring on doing more to free up Buckley in the middle, and that there needed to be a willingness on players like Murphy to stand up and let the Galway lads know they aren't going to get it all their own way. I also felt the forwards were due an improvement. What I hadn't expected at all was that our high fielding would be so much better than it had been before, was like the good old days.

And that's why I'm still bullish going into the replay too. All year we've been hearing on this site from people who, quite literally, felt that Galway just had to show up to win the All Ireland, let alone beat KK. Hurling is always full of narratives like that, the team that people just can't see being beaten. Until they are. I was really nervous all through this match, literally the most worked I've been watching a match since the 2006 All Ireland final. Probably the last time KK were being written off going into a match and the whole narrative was about this unbeatable machine.

Now there's plenty of logic to the idea that we missed our chance. Joe Canning is unlikely to miss that many again the next day, etc. But that's all built on this notion that Galway just had an off day. But that's the thing with narratives like that: Billy Ryan missed a few, TJ missed a goal, but that's just us not being good enough, Galway do the same and it's an off day. The evidence in front of our eyes tells us that both teams had chances to win the match and couldn't quite do it. But there's other things not likely to happen again the next day: Richie Hogan is not likely to only be on the field a couple of minutes, for one thing. We are unlikely to keep Walter in the same position for as long the next day either (he had a great battle but he needs to be moved around a bit more often I think).

And we're a team that learns from match to match. All this talk about how Galway will start Glynn the next day and have a field day. I hope that's his attitude, because I think we'll roast him if he goes in with the same approach he did last week.

We still have a lot of progress to make, the forwards are still not making scores from play, but if the match is like last week, and on an even bigger pitch, I think that suits us pretty well in terms of forcing frees anyway. We still need to take the pressure off TJ but they haven't found a way to deal with him yet either.

I don't know that we will win the next day, but there's a lot of magical thinking going on with neutrals, where they seem to think Galway will just have another gear and beat us. But they were not exactly taking it handy the last day, where is this extra gear going to be found? My prediction is the same as last week, us by 1 or 2.

This was my prediction last week, I felt like there was likely to be a tactical response from Cody to the round robin game, mainly centring on doing more to free up Buckley in the middle, and that there needed to be a willingness on players like Murphy to stand up and let the Galway lads know they aren't going to get it all their own way. I also felt the forwards were due an improvement. What I hadn't expected at all was that our high fielding would be so much better than it had been before, was like the good old days.

And that's why I'm still bullish going into the replay too. All year we've been hearing on this site from people who, quite literally, felt that Galway just had to show up to win the All Ireland, let alone beat KK. Hurling is always full of narratives like that, the team that people just can't see being beaten. Until they are. I was really nervous all through this match, literally the most worked I've been watching a match since the 2006 All Ireland final. Probably the last time KK were being written off going into a match and the whole narrative was about this unbeatable machine.

Now there's plenty of logic to the idea that we missed our chance. Joe Canning is unlikely to miss that many again the next day, etc. But that's all built on this notion that Galway just had an off day. But that's the thing with narratives like that: Billy Ryan missed a few, TJ missed a goal, but that's just us not being good enough, Galway do the same and it's an off day. The evidence in front of our eyes tells us that both teams had chances to win the match and couldn't quite do it. But there's other things not likely to happen again the next day: Richie Hogan is not likely to only be on the field a couple of minutes, for one thing. We are unlikely to keep Walter in the same position for as long the next day either (he had a great battle but he needs to be moved around a bit more often I think).

And we're a team that learns from match to match. All this talk about how Galway will start Glynn the next day and have a field day. I hope that's his attitude, because I think we'll roast him if he goes in with the same approach he did last week.

We still have a lot of progress to make, the forwards are still not making scores from play, but if the match is like last week, and on an even bigger pitch, I think that suits us pretty well in terms of forcing frees anyway. We still need to take the pressure off TJ but they haven't found a way to deal with him yet either.

I don't know that we will win the next day, but there's a lot of magical thinking going on with neutrals, where they seem to think Galway will just have another gear and beat us. But they were not exactly taking it handy the last day, where is this extra gear going to be found? My prediction is the same as last week, us by 1 or 2.
    Great post agree with it all except the margin. I think if we stop them scoring goals we could win by 3+ but I'll take one obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Galway only played to 80% of their potential while Kilkenny played at 100-% so Mi,chael O Donahue has nothing to fear.. This is according to B
    rendan Cummins anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Presume the same team will be named tonight with changes on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Word of caution. We've played our best stuff this year when we've been written off: Tipp x2, Wex & Gy. We've been poor when we were expected to win. We need to approach Sun with a point to prove not confident. Galway are not invincible bit are still a very good team if allowed play. We have the ability to stop them but it'll require a similar effort to last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Presume the same team will be named tonight with changes on Sunday
    Usually comes out this evening alright - hard to know if there'll be any changes. I'm not in favour of dummy teams. Just name it and start it on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »
    Word of caution. We've played our best stuff this year when we've been written off: Tipp x2, Wex & Gy. We've been poor when we were expected to win. We need to approach Sun with a point to prove not confident. Galway are not invincible bit are still a very good team if allowed play. We have the ability to stop them but it'll require a similar effort to last week.
    But we are being written off. The whole week people have dismissed the result as an aberration, just waiting for normal service to be restored.

Kil v Gal E Murphy P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey C Fogarty J Maher M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward Subs D Brennan C Delaney R Lennon J Cleere C Browne R Hogan C Fennelly L Blanchfield L Scanlon J Donnelly B Sheehan

Kilkenny v Galway replay
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan
    J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey
    C Fogarty J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan

Same as last week

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Kil v Gal E Murphy P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey C Fogarty J Maher M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward Subs D Brennan C Delaney R Lennon J Cleere C Browne R Hogan C Fennelly L Blanchfield L Scanlon J Donnelly B Sheehan
    as expected same squad released id expect a few changes Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

If Sunday is as warm as predicted, good substitutions will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Mankbag wrote: »
    If Sunday is as warm as predicted, good substitutions will be crucial.
    Whats a bad substitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

citykat wrote: »
    Whats a bad substitution?

Bringing you on ....

One adult and one juvenile ticket for sale, Section 208 row BB. Face value. North Kilkenny.,

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Best of luck to senior team on sunday.cant be there but my heart and mind will be.roar the team on lads.

• Advertisement

best of luck to the footballers today in the junior semi final against galway a huge step up no doubt but hopefully we can give a good performance and show real progress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement