Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Terrible conditions and not much to take or get from the game IMO.it was like watching a hybrid type game of hurling.getting like football with the amount of handpasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stand em up

Were under no illusions in Wexford about today's match, a two point win over your team with a lot of your good players to still come back in for the rest of the league and championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Grats wrote: »
    Wexford are well respected by Kilkenny people. And we're well aware that we're a good bit off from the team of a few years ago. In fairness to the current team they did get through to the Final last year.

Wexford need to push on now and to gauge themselves against the better teams. Kilkenny have been conquered, so time for Wexford to reach for higher goals now. However, if Davy is satisfied with just beating a developing Kilkenny team then he's doing Wexford no favours.

Developing Kilkenny team? I think I read the average age of the Kilkenny side beaten by Wexford in Leinster final last year was a good bit older than Wexford.

I just think Kilkenny had a fabulous bunch of players come together and won all round them from 2006 to 2015.

It’s not a developing team, it’s just an average team with a few of the older brigade like TJ and Colin carrying them through championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

conor05 wrote: »
    Developing Kilkenny team? I think I read the average age of the Kilkenny side beaten by Wexford in Leinster final last year was a good bit older than Wexford.

I just think Kilkenny had a fabulous bunch of players come together and won all round them from 2006 to 2015.

It’s not a developing team, it’s just an average team with a few of the older brigade like TJ and Colin carrying them through championship games.

That's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That's your opinion.
    10 of your starting 15 from years all ireland final are 28 or older, correct me if im wrong.

• Advertisement

10 of your starting 15 from years all ireland final are 28 or older, correct me if im wrong.

I have no idea. I was referring to today's team in which you had for instance in the full back line, Browne and Wallace in their first campaign, Lawlor in his second. I see that as a developing team. "Average" by comparison to our great teams but shur most teams would be in that boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Great game today in the conditions, credit to both teams. We dug it out but it took bringing on 3 of our top players,if Kilkenny had brought on TJ,Colin F,Padraig Walsh,Mullen ,KK would of probably won it with that wind. It will never be remembered in a couple of months time and really the League is only a glorified training game now. There is very little between these 2 teams. Was happy with our work rate, newcomers Joe O Connor and Aidan Rochford are holding up well and give us a few options but a real pity that we are not using it to give more of our panel game time and opportunities. KK look to have a couple of new decent backs,Bigger games to come for both teams. KK are never rebuilding, They were in the All Ireland final last year! As your contributor said earlier we have to push on now and see if we can get to the next level. Best of luck for the coming season KK

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Wexford are limited...jeez the arrogance of Limerick posters after there 1 lucky all Ireland in 47 years is incredible, shouldn't be surprised the bitterness of 1996 lifes on as shown by the snapbites from the likes of ciaran carey in the media. Maybe we are limited but at least none of our panel hang their fellow panel members out to dry by recording a fight on their phone instead of trying to break it up and been that stupid to put it on what's app and at least no kilkenny or Wexford player are appearing in court in may on 2 assault chargers, Limerick have an excellent panel at the moment but considering you're a county who specialize in over hype and under achievement ( 3 u21s in a row spring to mind) there's no guarantee this panel will fulfil their potential.

From a Limerick man's perspective
    I watched the game today I thought it was a good game especially considering the conditions I think kilkenny are building nicely at the moment and when everyone returns will be formidable opponents as will wexford I was v impressed the way they closed out the game.

As for your comments on limerick arrogance thats an opinion fair enough but have to pull you up on the lucky all irl jibe can't see how you'd say that.
    Anyway this is a kk forum I was impressed by the ballyhale no4 in the clubs I'm assuming he's a brother of Adrian Mullen whats the thinking there is he a possible for kk this yr?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

He came on as a sub today so should see more game time over the course of the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

lim4ev wrote: »
    From a Limerick man's perspective
    I watched the game today I thought it was a good game especially considering the conditions I think kilkenny are building nicely at the moment and when everyone returns will be formidable opponents as will wexford I was v impressed the way they closed out the game.

As for your comments on limerick arrogance thats an opinion fair enough but have to pull you up on the lucky all irl jibe can't see how you'd say that.
    Anyway this is a kk forum I was impressed by the ballyhale no4 in the clubs I'm assuming he's a brother of Adrian Mullen whats the thinking there is he a possible for kk this yr?
    lucky is a bit harsh but i wouldn't say it was a dominant win. Your quarter final against kk could have went either way brilliant contest, cork will still regret that semi final a brilliant nickie quaid flick saved ye, final ye were completely the better side but galway still nearly got an underserved draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

Really do feel Davy and wexford have a mental thing going over kk at the moment
    Walsh cup league and championship;

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

All in all today was what it was - a full blooded league encounter in February in desperate conditions which will have no bearing on what happens this summer.

Positives to take from today were the performance:

1. Ciaran Wallace's progress. Today's game was a good test and he impressed. Right now he looks nailed on for a starting spot.

2. Conor Browne full debut at corner back - see above.

3. Paddy Deegan. The leader & heartbeat of this side now. Could hold the centre back spot therby releasing Padraig to the wing or midfield.

4. Backs were generally sound, hopefully Buckley regains speed & sharpness from here on.

5. Midfield wasn't great but that part of the pitch was really crowded and difficult to find any space there.

6. Only 7 of the AI team started today. While it is difficult to imagine us going to the well with the exact same 15, most of these players will be challenging for their place shortly which can only help with depth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

All in all today was what it was - a full blooded league encounter in February in desperate conditions which will have no bearing on what happens this summer.

1. Ciaran Wallace's progress. Today's game was a good test and he impressed. Right now he looks nailed on for a starting spot.

3. Paddy Deegan. The leader & heartbeat of this side now. Could hold the centre back spot therby releasing Padraig to the wing or midfield.

4. Backs were generally sound, hopefully Buckley regains speed & sharpness from here on.

5. Midfield wasn't great but that part of the pitch was really crowded and difficult to find any space there.

6. Only 7 of the AI team started today. While it is difficult to imagine us going to the well with the exact same 15, most of these players will be challenging for their place shortly which can only help with depth...

If the game had no bearing on what happens later this summer, then all subsequent comments must thus be redundant. :P:pac:

MfMan wrote: »
    If the game had no bearing on what happens later this summer, then all subsequent comments must thus be redundant. :P:pac:

The result of that game will have no bearing on what happens in the summer.

Did anyone pick up on the question put to Davy on Radio 1 regarding inter county finances and how he was a bit defensive about it...Might be wirth watching that space

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Agree pretty much all of above and was very much pleasantly suprised with how well Browne went at corner back. There was one stage in second half he showed brilliant speed to make up ground and win the ball before clearing. We havnt had the speediest of FB lines of late and always struggle with oppositions that have the lively nippy corner forwards so could be a serious option here and I am a big fan of Joey but he and Murphy will have their work cut out to get back in the starting 15 and D Mullen surely come in to reckoning here too for corner back too at some stage. Did think it was strange to bring him on at midfield yesterday.

Really thought KK would drive on a finish off the game once the got things level and had strong wind but Wexford subs really made a difference and their comfort and ability to hold possession in very testing conditions was excellent and very impressive. What was most dissapointing for me is that yet again we cant grind out the tight affairs against Wexford like we Kk use to and in fairness Wexford really do have a fantastic record of us now in all competitions the last few years.

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Agree pretty much all of above and was very much pleasantly suprised with how well Browne went at corner back. There was one stage in second half he showed brilliant speed to make up ground and win the ball before clearing. We havnt had the speediest of FB lines of late and always struggle with oppositions that have the lively nippy corner forwards so could be a serious option here and I am a big fan of Joey but he and Murphy will have their work cut out to get back in the starting 15 and D Mullen surely come in to reckoning here too for corner back too at some stage. Did think it was strange to bring him on at midfield yesterday.

Really thought KK would drive on a finish off the game once the got things level and had strong wind but Wexford subs really made a difference and their comfort and ability to hold possession in very testing conditions was excellent and very impressive. What was most dissapointing for me is that yet again we cant grind out the tight affairs against Wexford like we Kk use to and in fairness Wexford really do have a fantastic record of us now in all competitions the last few years.

I might be more worried if we had a full strength team out yesterday but the fact is at least 3 if not 4 of our likely starting front 6 were absent. Yesterday was a good workout with a few new faces as mentioned above doing their chances no harm at all. I think there has been a bit of change of strategy with Cody with regards the approach to the league. It is all about peaking for later in the year - the substitution of Hogan yesterday was evidence of that.

I would really like to see Eoin Cody giving a run at the weekend as Clare will be a proper match and it would be a good introduction to this level for him. Would leave TJ, Colin, Holden and Padraig out of it for now while possibly including Mullen on the bench. Richie Leahy has to come back into contention as well.

Unfortunately Alan Murphy, Bill Sheehan & Mossy failed to sparkle again yesterday so that makes the case for introducing Cody and perhaps a wildcard like Bergin on the bench for Clare. Would like to see Liam Blanchfield involved at the weekend if he has recovered from injury as he had been playing well for IT Carlow..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

According to cody after the game yesterday when he was asked are we likely to see colin and Padraig etc return he said no.is fogarty injured?
    Yesterday was a good test i thought we done well for 60 mins but failed in the last ten mins.We got ourselves in a position to win but unfortunately couldn't see it out.Hopefully we can learn from this.
    Darren brennan got a game under his belt.
    Two inexperienced corner backs stood up well.
    Could deegan be our number 6 for the summer?he is definitely our leader in defence.
    Will he try Padraig in midfield or attack?
    Bringing on mullen midfield was a bit strange although he is very flexible.
    The clare match will be another good test.We have a very poor record against them.
    We might see leahy return but blanchfield looked to be in distress for carlow he could be out for a few weeks.
    I would like to see eoin cody or shane walsh added to the bench soon.

Fogarty picked up an injury against Dublin and played no part in the last two matches. R Hogan wasn't due to start yesterday and I guess he was never going to be played for entire match.
    In addition to those big names missing for the moment, Aylward and E Murphy couldn't line out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Impossible to judge alit of positions yesterday especially midfield.with the puckout going less than 40 yards and leading to ruck after ruck it tells you very little in regards to championship hurling.giving lads a chance is what its all about.leagues are for playing and championships are for winning.

• Advertisement

Fogarty picked up an injury against Dublin and played no part in the last two matches. R Hogan wasn't due to start yesterday and I guess he was never going to be played for entire match.
    In addition to those big names missing for the moment, Aylward and E Murphy couldn't line out yesterday.

Not true - Hogan was named in the team Friday night. I take it you are going by the match programme which had Aylward at No.14? Assumption here is that the team giving to the programme printers was provided early in the week to beat print deadlines.

Not true - Hogan was named in the team Friday night. I take it you are going by the match programme which had Aylward at No.14? Assumption here is that the team giving to the programme printers was provided early in the week to beat print deadlines.

What's not true?

What's not true?

You said Hogan wasn't due to start...

You said Hogan wasn't due to start...

Aylward was listed as 14. Hogan as 23. I guess Aylward picked up a knock in training before Friday night when Hogan replaced him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Aylward and scruff were on the programme to start but richie was named friday night at 14.aylward wasnt named friday night but was listed yesterday and replaced by paul holden on the programme.
    Hopefully we see an eoin cody or shane Walsh on a match day squad.We should make the quarter finals at least so it's no harm getting game time into lads.

brookville wrote: »
    Aylward and scruff were on the programme to start but richie was named friday night at 14.aylward wasnt named friday night but was listed yesterday and replaced by paul holden on the programme.
    Hopefully we see an eoin cody or shane Walsh on a match day squad.We should make the quarter finals at least so it's no harm getting game time into lads.

No numbers were listed when the team was announced on Friday. On the day R Hogan wore 23 which, as I said earlier, suggests that Cody hadn't planned to start him until Aylward cried off.

Anybody know what happened Aylward and E Murphy?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No numbers were listed when the team was announced on Friday. On the day R Hogan wore 23 which, as I said earlier, suggests that Cody hadn't planned to start him until Aylward cried off.

Anybody know what happened Aylward and E Murphy?

The numbers match what is in the program. It doesn't suggest he wasn't planned to start. Hogan was named in the team on Friday, so obviously he was planned to start from at least Friday.

adrian522 wrote: »
    The numbers match what is in the program. It doesn't suggest he wasn't planned to start. Hogan was named in the team on Friday, so obviously he was planned to start from at least Friday.

Obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I might be more worried if we had a full strength team out yesterday but the fact is at least 3 if not 4 of our likely starting front 6 were absent. Yesterday was a good workout with a few new faces as mentioned above doing their chances no harm at all. I think there has been a bit of change of strategy with Cody with regards the approach to the league. It is all about peaking for later in the year - the substitution of Hogan yesterday was evidence of that.

I would really like to see Eoin Cody giving a run at the weekend as Clare will be a proper match and it would be a good introduction to this level for him. Would leave TJ, Colin, Holden and Padraig out of it for now while possibly including Mullen on the bench. Richie Leahy has to come back into contention as well.

Unfortunately Alan Murphy, Bill Sheehan & Mossy failed to sparkle again yesterday so that makes the case for introducing Cody and perhaps a wildcard like Bergin on the bench for Clare. Would like to see Liam Blanchfield involved at the weekend if he has recovered from injury as he had been playing well for IT Carlow..

If Alan M is not there who's our free taker until TJ returns. Bergin a free taker or am I confusing him with someone else. I knew we would struggle when Murphy's Law came into play and the wind dropped considerably in 2nd half. Good fight to get back after being way down but should've seen it out. Too much Rt 1

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

The conditions yesterday were horrendous and it turned into tough battle, delighted we didn't play some of the more senior players and exposed the young lads to a game against tough opposition.

Invaluable game in a hostile atmosphere for the likes of Darren Brennan, Ciaran Wallace and Conor Browne in a new position.

Have to say we played great stuff in the first half against the breeze and thought our half back line showed we can carry and work ball through the hands.

Billy Ryan is showing a good eye for goal but needs better supply and needs to stay in the game more. Another positive was Conor Brownes performance, he covered ball in behind him very well and broke/won every ball on Cathal Dunbar, the ground he made up for a wexford break near the end was unreal. I agree with an earlier poster that said Joey and Paul murphy could be under pressure from Mullen and Browne. Ciaran Wallace also looks very capable and is comfortable on the ball, I dont think he will let us down.

Slightly concerned about our midfield options, I think Fogarty will take one spot but we really need someone else to step up, few candidate we have are blowing hot and cold. Conor Browne was more of a stopper there so feel we can move him to corner back. Need someone to nail it down.

My ideal spot for Padraig Walsh is half back but I would consider playing him at centre forward in one or two games if we reach semi of the league to see how it goes.

Love to see something like the following near the end of the league

Murphy
    Mullen Lawler Browne
    Delaney Deegan Buckley
    Fogarty A Mullen
    Donnelly P Walsh TJ Reid
    Walter Fennelly Ryan

Richie Hogan and Riche Leahy as first subs and Joey and Paul Murphy there or thereabouts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement