Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Match has been changed to Nowlan Park on Sunday at the request of Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

laneykin wrote: »
    Match has been changed to Nowlan Park on Sunday at the request of Laois.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/02/26/laois-v-kilkenny-national-league-game-switched-to-umpc-nowlan-park/

It's a wonder another pitch in Laois wasn't used instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Danno wrote: »

Reading the kilkenny people adrian will have to wait up to a month before operating to let the swelling down.Darren done his twice and Patrick done his so they have being very unlucky but hopefully he will come back all the better from it...as said maybe the break will do him no harm and he will be a key player for us in years to come.
    Not suprised match sunday is switched portlaoise looked in bits for the carlow match and surely would of being dangerous.it will give eddie a chance run out his players before coming in the summer but I would of thought there might of being another pitch in the county because wont be a huge crowd at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I don't think they've another ground that's capable of it. Most club grounds in Laois don't even have a small stand. Virtually every game of importance is played in OMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Would the pitch in Rathdowney not be good enough for a league match like that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

So a cruciate injury-enforced break is now deemed a good thing! That’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stand em up

Looking in from the outside personally you have to say Brian Cody has given a lot of the young players League and championship time in the last few years. He must know by know what sort of squad he has and know doubt will have a competitive team ready for championship. You would have to think Limerick or Tipperary will win the championship. As for the rest of us in Leinster it is going to be another battleground.

citykat wrote: »
    So a cruciate injury-enforced break is now deemed a good thing! That’s ridiculous.

Its a dark lonely time that players don't wont to go to, he showed his disapontment when it happened last sunday the best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

1. Portlaoise probably the most used pitch in the country, this and mother nature have taken their toil. 2. Runout in nowlan park for laois pre leinster championship encounter 3. Result immaterial to laois, their safe but can't make the knockout stages 4. From the main hurling area of laois ( south and west) this and thurles would be the shortest away journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Stupid stupid post. People are trying to be positive about the matter.

Yes his cruciate is gone, is it good for himself, Ballyhale or Kilkenny.. OBVIOUSLY not.
    People are commenting on his age, rest and how he will come back better and stronger. Few things in his favour, time of year, age and chance to develop as he was overloaded the last few years. But nobody is glorifying a cruciate injury

• Advertisement

Are they positive for him or trying to stick there size nines in it, no time is a good time to get such as serious injury as he did last sunday . the ground will be getting dry I am sure he would rather be out on the field than looking out not been out there with his team mates. A week ago people were on here cutting the back off him about his county career etc the chap put in a long winter with his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Good Lord
    4 cruciates in one family before any of them even reach 21
    That's horrendous bad luck

I see Kevin's brother Ray Moran is yet again the surgeon
    That is some operation he has up in Santry, but cruciates would keep a medium sized clinic going on their own
    An absolute modern plague for athletes

Has any analysis been done to verify hurlers are in highest risk category?
    It certainly seems that way but could be just I have a higher interest in it and maybe notice the frequency more

Also, I would have thought with pitches nowadays in much better shape, this would help reduce incidence of cruciatre type injuries.

No expert, so just throwing out a few questions

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Good Lord

That is some operation he has up in Santry, but cruciates would keep a medium sized clinic going on their own

It certainly seems that way but could be just I have a higher interest in it and maybe notice the frequency more

Also, I would have thought with pitches nowadays in much better shape, this would help reduce incidence of cruciatre type injuries.

I read an article from a surgeon a few years ago and he said that it’s all the weight lifting etc. The players are putting on lots of extra muscle and not building up their legs to match. He was saying they’re “top heavy” and when they land the extra weight coming down causes the trouble.

Injuries are unfortunate especially long term ones.We're all dissapointed that we wont have adrian this year.What some lads were trying to say is he has a huge amount of hurling done at a high level for a 20 year old.He has being on the go since he left kierans,county u20,seniors and two club all ireland.Hopefully he can make a full recovery and come back refreshed.best of luck to him.
    On the match sunday laois are safe so attention will turn to the summer and probably why eddie decided to give up home advantage.Laois haven't played much in nowlan park in recent years so they will use this as a rehearsal when they arrive in the summer.
    On ourselves cody said we might have padraig back but will mostly be the same squad.Maybe he might get a few runs in midfield.
    Darren mullen looked very comfortable against clare and should be close to nailing down a starting place in the summer.Wallace has being improving and it's good to get league time into buckley and richie.
    We mixed the good with the poor against clare and it's the second match we looked to have being in a good position but let it slip and somewhat lucky to get a draw despite having the last chance.maybe we are lacking a few senior players to close these games out.
    Team I'd like to see
    Brennan
    Mullen,lawlor,wallace
    Delaney,deegan,buckley
    Leahy,maher
    Murphy,Donnelly,wally
    Billy,hogan,cody
    Hope we will see blanchfield and brassil back soon both were hurling well before getting injured.Id also like to see shane walsh or James bergin getting a taste.

Good Lord

Maybe some people are more likely to pick up knee injuries due to genetics. Brendan Maher and his brother, Martin, both had cruciate injuries. Their first cousin, Philip, also did his cruciate hurling for Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Maybe some people are more likely to pick up knee injuries due to genetics. Brendan Maher and his brother, Martin, both had cruciate injuries. Their first cousin, Philip, also did his cruciate hurling for Tipp.

Definitely a factor, but their prevalence in the GAA is multi factoral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Laois
    D Brennan
    T Walsh H Lawlor C Wallace
    C Delaney P Walsh D Mullen
    R Leahy J Maher
    M Keoghan E Cody A Murphy
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    J Holden
    C Browne
    E Morrissey
    M Carey
    M Cody
    T Kenny
    B Sheehan
    L Scanlon
    J Bergin
    S Walsh
    A Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Kil v Laois
    D Brennan
    T Walsh H Lawlor C Wallace
    C Delaney P Walsh D Mullen
    R Leahy J Maher
    M Keoghan E Cody A Murphy
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    J Holden
    C Browne
    E Morrissey
    M Carey
    M Cody
    T Kenny
    B Sheehan
    L Scanlon
    J Bergin
    S Walsh
    A Nolan

No sub goalie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Village87 wrote: »
    Stupid stupid post. People are trying to be positive about the matter.

Yes his cruciate is gone, is it good for himself, Ballyhale or Kilkenny.. OBVIOUSLY not.
    People are commenting on his age, rest and how he will come back better and stronger. Few things in his favour, time of year, age and chance to develop as he was overloaded the last few years. But nobody is glorifying a cruciate injury

Nobody comes back better and stronger from a cruciate. Such a claim is utterly ridiculous. Most athletes should make a near full recovery but will never get back 100% to where they were. Why randomers are trying to be positive about such a horrible injury beats me. There is nothing positive in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Nobody comes back better and stronger from a cruciate. Such a claim is utterly ridiculous. Most athletes should make a near full recovery but will never get back 100% to where they were. Why randomers are trying to be positive about such a horrible injury beats me. There is nothing positive in it.

David Moran from Kerry most definitely did. I agree with you, bit of sugar coating going but it's not unreasonable to think Mullen is still improving and could be a better player than we saw last year in the future.

It takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice to come back from it though, but in fairness most inter county players have that.

• Advertisement

Brian cody said eoin murphy is still a few weeks away with a groin injury.The game time will do darren brennan no harm he would of being dissapointed with the 3rd goal especially so hopefully he will learn from these.Niall brassil is very close to returning and blanchfield is still a little bit away.
    Tommy walsh and ger aylward get a start after impressing against clare.Good to see eoin cody get a start and bergin and walsh making the match squad hopefully they get a run.
    Are jason cleere and evan shefflin injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brendan Maher done his cruciate against Clare in 2018, came back in 19 and has arguably had his best 18 months of hurling since. And he's 31.

Heartbreaking as it is for Mullen I'd fully expect him back flying next year. He's only a kid really, has loads of time. He's looked a little jaded recently when I've seen him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Brendan Maher done his cruciate against Clare in 2018, came back in 19 and has arguably had his best 18 months of hurling since. And he's 31.

Heartbreaking as it is for Mullen I'd fully expect him back flying next year. He's only a kid really, has loads of time. He's looked a little jaded recently when I've seen him.

Jack McCaffrey, another example, didn't seem to cost him any pace. Possibly the most influential player in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Ok Eoin Murphy will be in goal, Tommy Walsh has not secured his place. Hue Lawlor will be full back , Wallace appears to have secured his place. Delaney appears to have secured his place. Padraigh is back where he should be and should be left there, Darren Mullen has everything to play for. Leahy and Maher are in their positions but one will lose out to Fogarty when push comes to shove and finally we will have TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, John Donnelly and Billy Ryan certain starters come championship than likely Waltar and Ritchie Hogan joining them. The subs do not appear to have many unknowns or new comers so the status quo remains.
    So
    Murphy
    Walsh Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Mullen
    Leahy Fogarty
    Reid Donnelly Waltar
    Ryan Fennelly Hogan
    These appear to be our championship starters which of course means nothing changing from 7 to 15 from last year. They were not good enough in 18 or 19 and I do not see what has made them any different this year. And no they are not young lads any more, most are 22 or 23 and saying the likes of Taggy and Eddie Brennan had to serve 4/5 years apprenticeships before becoming regulars is as false a narrative as can be expounded. Remarkable hurlers kept them off the team and noting else. This is not the case now.It is a sorry state when you know if any of the starting six are not firing there is no one among the subs you can really depend on to make an impact.We have not been as toothless for a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

How in the name of god can you say Billy Ryan is a certain starter .....what has he done

davidx40 wrote: »
    How in the name of god can you say Billy Ryan is a certain starter .....what has he done

Simple, he has played in every single league game so the management obviously rate him above all of the rest. I never said I was impressed. I have been complaining about how many chances many of the current crop have been given having said that Billy after John Donnelly has been has been about the best of a very ordinary group who are just not good enough and as long as they put themselves forward we do have a right to state an opinion. We must respect the effort they put in but not to the point that we cannot express an opinion that may hurt some feelings. TJ Reid at 32 years of age is our main forward with no one within an asses roar of even challenging him for that position shows how far from grace we have fallen

Jesus give me peace.

And just one new forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can't believe we don't have 6 TJ Reids, arguably one of the best players to ever play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

The sky is falling again around here again I see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Rosita

Can't believe we don't have 6 TJ Reids, arguably one of the best players to ever play the game.

If that's a reply aimed at this comment "TJ Reid at 32 years of age is our main forward with no one within an asses roar of even challenging him for that position shows how far from grace we have fallen" it's fairly far off the mark and greatly misses the point that poster was making.

A point being unpalatable is not the same as a point being invalid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement