Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Two good hurlers gone if that's the case one of them in the running for senior club player of the year the other just back after his club exploits. Is your friend C Fogarty still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Is Kevin Kelly still on panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

robwen wrote: »
    Is Kevin Kelly still on panel?

Got surgery after relegation final and is hoping to be involved in the April club month.
    I am suprised walsh and shefflin are dropped.shefflin got no game time and Shane five minutes against laois.He did look very light when he came on but hopefully these two continue with good club form and the county door might open again.

brookville wrote: »
    Got surgery after relegation final and is hoping to be involved in the April club month.
    I am suprised walsh and shefflin are dropped.shefflin got no game time and Shane five minutes against laois.He did look very light when he came on but hopefully these two continue with good club form and the county door might open again.

You have to wonder about Bill Sheehan and a couple more players if Shane Walsh was to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Is it St Kierans versus St. Flannans this weekend? What are Kierans like this year? What will our minors be like this year?

Kierans v Flananns in Mallow tomorrow
    If Kierans can get through they will be hard beaten as usual, especially if they get Ciaran Brennan back

But two Galway schools look very strong
    Hardly surprising given they won last two AI Minors impressively

Athenry easily beat CBC today and I would fancy them to beat Colaiste Eoin (would love to be wrong as they are a terrific school with a small pick who excel in both codes)
    Gavin Lee who played in the controversial u16 AI win over Kierans before Xmas torched CBC today, he is some handful

I'd be surprised if Flannans go all the way
    The Harty is a hugely overrated competition and the ****e they go on with would annoy you, it would rival the hyperbole of the Leinster Schools Rugby at times
    Anthony Daly at it again last Monday in Examiner inferring the Harty was the Blue Riband
    "For Flannans it's the Harty, the AI a bonus, but for Kierans it's always the AI"

FFS
    What team in this day and age (or in any age) could possibly value a provincial title over a national one?

I's also deeply insulting to Leinster and Connacht teams, who more often than not in recent times have been of better standard than two Harty reps.
    However it is also bound to be a huge spur, Kierans in particular for decades have put away supposed "Harty Invincible" winners time and time again

I rem watching Ardscoil Limerick warm up a few years ago for final
    One of their supposedly unbeatable teams
    Harty Cup Champions emblazoned across the back of their tracksuits.
    What must that do for opponent teams in AI series
    And what coach would sign off on it?

Kierans can never be discounted but they will need to get lucky with injuries and with 3 wins in 4 weeks needed to win AI, that might be asking for too much luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Brendan Maher wins the club hurler of the year

Fred Daly wrote: »
    You have to wonder about Bill Sheehan and a couple more players if Shane Walsh was to light.

I'm not disagreeing with you because scanlon is on the squad a few years and struggled to win ball the other day.
    I think we're all a little surprised these two are dropped before they start it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

A few lads dropped from the Kilkenny panel on Thursday night.

Paul Holden
    Shane Walsh
    David Blanchfield
    Aidan Nolan
    James Maher
    Evan Shefflin

Open to correction on these but this is what I heard from a good source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Village87 wrote: »
    Panel was cut recently, Shane Walsh and Evan Shefflin are 2 of the lads dropped. Few Village lads did well to avoid the chop :D

Aidan Nolan and David Blanchfield are gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

KK36 wrote: »

Paul Holden
    Shane Walsh
    David Blanchfield
    Aidan Nolan
    James Maher
    Evan Shefflin

James Maher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭blackcard

KK36 wrote: »

Paul Holden
    Shane Walsh
    David Blanchfield
    Aidan Nolan
    James Maher
    Evan Shefflin

Heard 4 of these are gone but I would be a astonished if James Maher was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Kierans beaten 14-11 in Mallow
    Weird game
    They were 8-1 up and Flannans down to 14 after 20 mins but looks like Flannans took over from there
    Assume wind a factor but 3 points from about 45 mins play v 14 has got to hurt

I dont think james maher heart was in it from what i was told, hopei am wrong but there is a life after hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Charlie69

blackcard wrote: »
    Heard 4 of these are gone but I would be a astonished if James Maher was gone

James Maher definitely gone.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    James Maher definitely gone.

Surprised. Any idea of how many/who is left on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

blackcard wrote: »
    Surprised. Any idea of how many/who is left on the panel?

Surprised myself James Maher is gone, he's been incredibly unlucky with injuries but he was definitely struggling this year. Hopefully he'll be back again.

I'll try name who I think is left.
    Goalkeepers
    Eoin Murphy (injured?)
    Darren Brennan

Backs
    Ciaran Wallace
    Huw Lawlor
    Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Padraig Walsh
    Darren Mullen
    Joey Houlden
    Paddy Deegan
    Paul Murphy
    Cillian Buckley
    Jason Cleere
    Enda Morrissey
    Tom Kenny
    Richie Reid
    Michael Carey
    Michael Cody

Midfield
    Alan Murphy
    Richie Leahy
    Conor Fogarty
    Conor Browne

Forwards
    Mossy Keoghan
    Eoin Cody
    Billy Ryan
    Walter Walsh
    Ger Aylward
    Luke Scanlon
    Bill Sheehan
    James Bergin
    TJ Reid
    Colin Fennelly
    Richie Hogan
    John Donnelly
    Liam Blanchfield (injured)
    Niall Brassil (injured)
    Tadhg O'Dwyer
    Adrian Mullen (injured) was in the box with McGarry for the Laois game.

I'm sure I've missed a few that's 38 including Adrian Mullen. I think they carried too many players into the Championship last year and I don't think it helped they had a 40+ panel for the All Ireland. I could see another 5 being dropped before Championship. Hopefully he will settle on a core team of 12 to 13 places and there might be two or three positions up for grabs everyday. However the players have to give him no choice but to pick them.

The lads with most to worry about would be Tadgh O'Dwyer and Luke Scanlon but then again their Village men so he won't drop them.
    Mossy Keoghan
    Bill Sheehan
    Alan Murphy
    Michael Carey but DJ is there
    Michael Cody
    Tom Kenny
    Jason Cleere
    Enda Morrissey
    Richie Reid

I would see all the rest as being safe but I would have said the same about James Maher so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Village87 wrote: »
    Panel was cut recently, Shane Walsh and Evan Shefflin are 2 of the lads dropped. Few Village lads did well to avoid the chop :D

The Shefflin clan in Ballyhale won’t like that one.

Think he might have struggled against the Kerry hurler Shane Conway in the Fitzgibbon Cup match UCC v DCU so maybe that was taken into consideration.

In fairness he had a great club campaign, he didn’t get any chances in league? Seems very odd to drop him so quickly off the full panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

It's a big call and a surprising one at that too especially when you look at the lack of midfield options we have and Mahers versatility. Considering how early it is in the year and how players can play themselves back into form then even more so.

I understand Kevin Kelly is still on.the panel albeit injured at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

It's a big call and a surprising one at that too especially when you look at the lack of midfield options we have and Mahers versatility. Considering how early it is in the year and how players can play themselves back into form then even more so.

I understand Kevin Kelly is still on.the panel albeit injured at present.

Iv seen James Maher play 3 times and I thought he was a very good player. He has a serious engine. From a Limerick point view it's crazy that the likes of Luke Scanlon who has never put on a pound of muscle despite being around for 3 years. He ll be killed in Championship but then again he wont be playing.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Iv seen James Maher play 3 times and I thought he was a very good player. He has a serious engine. From a Limerick point view it's crazy that the likes of Luke Scanlon who has never put on a pound of muscle despite being around for 3 years. He ll be killed in Championship but then again he wont be playing.

Why would you have a clue why he was dropped, late for training, not turning up for team meetings, went on the beer a couple of times when he shouldn't have . The Dublin match last year in Nowlan park he was injured but he was asked to be with the team all the other injured players were there but no sign of james. Half hearted player wont get you anywhere as ye are well aware in Limerick down through the years of these type of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Why would you have a clue why he was dropped, late for training, not turning up for team meetings, went on the beer a couple of times when he shouldn't have . The Dublin match last year in Nowlan park he was injured but he was asked to be with the team all the other injured players were there but no sign of james. Half hearted player wont get you anywhere as ye are well aware in Limerick down throuso gh the years of these type of players.

Yeah I dont have a clue why James Maher was dropped. How would I. I'm just going on what iv seen as a fan. Your half hearted comment is more idle speculation and to bring Limerick into it is silly. I'm not well aware of half hearted players down through the years in Limerick. Limerick have a half decent team at the moment. It wont last because most of the cities best athletes play rugby but the team that's there now is good .

It is surprising maher is gone.im sure the descision wasnt taking without serious consideration especially giving our troubles and constant switching in midfield.He has the ability to chip in with a few scores.He hasn't played much this league if I remember correctly but we have given alot of players gametime..He did seem to tire abit maybe it was the injuries...We dont know the ins and outs but but he obviously worked very hard to come back from the farming injury.He was excellent in 18 for us.He had a great appetite for work.He got an excellent point against limerick which was a great day out.He came back after being dropped a few years ago it will be hard to do it again.Management have their ideas hopefully it works out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks like Kilkenny v Waterford, 2pm Nowlan Park this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

robwen wrote: »
    Brendan Maher wins the club hurler of the year

He was absolutely great but I firmly believe TJ earned both HOTY awards. If anything I'd have BM ahead of SC in the IC award but people got way too hung up on his goals. Congrats to all of the award winners and nominees all the same. Brendan was definitely very impressive, pls don't get me wrong, and this is all opinion and while trying not to be biased, I'm also as diehard a KK fan, club & county, as an American born fan can be. I just thought TJ was more influential from one end of the pitch to the other. His best year. Well done BM & quite the comeback from injury.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If the news about James Maher not being gone from the panel is true then that's a shame. He's a fine hurler, capable of picking off a few scores on any given day. Definitely a quality option from the bench, if not a starter. Still only 24, so hopefully he will be back.

He's a much better player than some of the lads listed above.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Looks like Kilkenny v Waterford, 2pm Nowlan Park this Sunday.

If it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

What are the chances TJ will play next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

big_drive wrote: »
    What are the chances TJ will play next weekend?

Personally like to see TJ get a run out this week as could possibly be last run out before league champiionship starts. Not concerned with regards his conditioning or fitness but there one or two new lads integrated in to starting 15 so important have that understanding of each other for match situations.

Most likely Aylward will be unavailable for the weekend after injuring Hamstring during training at weekend but assume will wait until weekend before making the call. Fitness test done on Saturday and another training session done Sunday

Hard to know if matches will go ahead this weekend but if it does could we see the semi finals in a empty stadium?no one really knows I suppose it's just a wait and see exercise.
    Not much talk about the game this weekend for obvious reasons but if it does go ahead it could be our last game for a long time.The local paper reports that colin,tj and joey are ready to come back.we have used 41 players I think it said.this should be a good test for both teams.
    The team I'd like to see
    Brennan
    Mullen,lawlor,wallace
    Delaney,deegan,buckley
    Padraig,leahy
    Wally,donnelly,colin
    Ryan,hogan,cody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Uncertain times ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement