Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

citykat wrote: »
    Word of caution. We've played our best stuff this year when we've been written off: Tipp x2, Wex & Gy. We've been poor when we were expected to win. We need to approach Sun with a point to prove not confident. Galway are not invincible bit are still a very good team if allowed play. We have the ability to stop them but it'll require a similar effort to last week.

You have conveniently left out the game in Salthill when Kilkenny were expected to lose and managed just 1-2 from play (their forwards). Their forwards were a long way behind Galway's from play last weekend and they were three points down at the business end to a Galway team that Kilkenny seem to believe they nullified. Kilkenny have now played them twice in this championship and the best they have achieved is a coming from behind draw yet they seem happy? One thing Galway have managed is to utterly alter what is now regarded as a good performance from Kilkenny.

Not sure that the Kilkenny team's performance is so sensitive to the aggregated opinion of punditry that they play poorly when expected to win and well when "written off" but at least take all the evidence into consideration.

One question (just hoping to attract a "great post" reply from somebody :D) would be what will be the significance of TJ Reid's equalising point by the end of the year. Supplementary questions: Will be extra game bring Galway a lot if they win tomorrow? If Kilkenny lose the replay they will have a quarter-final next weekend after two tough games. Is that what they would wanted? Will people look back and think life would have been easier had Reid's shot gone wide and Galway remained delusional about their supposed invincibility rather than having another learning experience on Sunday against a potential All Ireland final opponent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    as expected same squad released id expect a few changes Sunday.

I don't think that there will be any changes unless someone is Injured. However, I would expect Donnelly, Blanchfield, Hogan and Fennelly to come on. I wouldn't mind Luke Scanlon coming on as a substitute either. Could he be an option in midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

best of luck to the footballers today in the junior semi final against galway a huge step up no doubt but hopefully we can give a good performance and show real progress.
    Galway won by double scores. 2-22 to 2-8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

best of luck to the footballers today in the junior semi final against galway a huge step up no doubt but hopefully we can give a good performance and show real progress.
    Galway won by double scores. 2-22 to 2-8
    yea fair play to the lads involved but it was always going to be tough we're probably too strong for the British championship but not good enough for the junior championship.

blackcard wrote: »

I don't think that there will be any changes unless someone is Injured. However, I would expect Donnelly, Blanchfield, Hogan and Fennelly to come on. I wouldn't mind Luke Scanlon coming on as a substitute either. Could he be an option in midfield?
    maybe your right but he nearly always makes changes after a draw.Galway could start Flynn or gylnn.
    Its unlikely we'll see changes 1-9 but i could see a change for mossy or leahy although I think both done their jobs last sunday.I think donnelly or blanch are better coming on but what we need is a few more lads troubling the scoreboard.It will be intresting to see matchups tomor or what different both teams bring to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Heard from a reliable source Donnelly is in for tommorow instead of Martin keoghan that being the only change in the team

Kkman00 wrote: »

Heard from a reliable source Donnelly is in for tommorow instead of Martin keoghan that being the only change in the team
    had heard that myself but good news is kevin kelly should be available for selection in the next 2 weeks hopefully we'll be still involved in the championship by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Powerhouse wrote: »
    citykat wrote: »
    Word of caution. We've played our best stuff this year when we've been written off: Tipp x2, Wex & Gy. We've been poor when we were expected to win. We need to approach Sun with a point to prove not confident. Galway are not invincible bit are still a very good team if allowed play. We have the ability to stop them but it'll require a similar effort to last week.

You have conveniently left out the game in Salthill when Kilkenny were expected to lose and managed just 1-2 from play (their forwards). Their forwards were a long way behind Galway's from play last weekend and they were three points down at the business end to a Galway team that Kilkenny seem to believe they nullified. Kilkenny have now played them twice in this championship and the best they have achieved is a coming from behind draw yet they seem happy? One thing Galway have managed is to utterly alter what is now regarded as a good performance from Kilkenny.

Not sure that the Kilkenny team's performance is so sensitive to the aggregated opinion of punditry that they play poorly when expected to win and well when "written off" but at least take all the evidence into consideration.

One question (just hoping to attract a "great post" reply from somebody :D) would be what will be the significance of TJ Reid's equalising point by the end of the year. Supplementary questions: Will be extra game bring Galway a lot if they win tomorrow? If Kilkenny lose the replay they will have a quarter-final next weekend after two tough games. Is that what they would wanted? Will people look back and think life would have been easier had Reid's shot gone wide and Galway remained delusional about their supposed invincibility rather than having another learning experience on Sunday against a potential All Ireland final opponent?

The point is Galway thought they were the dogs and thought they would stroll to another all Ireland. The fact is they are cocky and have a chip on there shoulder. Apart from limerick early in the league no-one has been anywhere near Galway, so excuse me if we have a young team and some pride but everyone had wrote kilkenny off and how wrong are they

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Garyp88 wrote: »
    The point is Galway thought they were the dogs and thought they would stroll to another all Ireland. The fact is they are cocky and have a chip on there shoulder. Apart from limerick early in the league no-one has been anywhere near Galway, so excuse me if we have a young team and some pride but everyone had wrote kilkenny off and how wrong are they

Nope, nowhere near.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Best of luck to the team today. Hopefully they win and we go straight through to the Semis. I do not fancy losing and having to play Limerick next weekend. 3 tough games in a row in this heat will be a huge disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Good luck to all today and safe travels!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Galway are too goid . Kilkenny playing awful

Playing awful can't understand the long Puck outs and the final ball is horrendous

Galway are Kilkenny of the nougthies reincarnated. Galway's physicality is probably even better. Very hard for the lads to go again next week, but they gave it everything so fair play to them.

Gave everything second half can't fault the effort think the differences today was there forwards yet again clicked and mannion was outstanding something kilkenny haven't got at the moment, backs were great in the air which killed the Puck outs. Just think today experience told when it got back to a point game and the first half was men against boys. We've a young enough panel and think they will learn alot from today, the talent is there just need the experience

We are giving ourselves to much to do, falling behind to big leads - Dublin, Wexford and Galway. The team is very slow to start, only registering a couple of points after 20 mins in alot of the games, and they are mainly from frees.
    What would ye put this down too?
    If only R. Hogan put those wides over, but we wouldn't have deserved it. Better team won. They will be hard to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

A couple of points. Best team won. They were immense. But hitting ball down on that half back lin is suicidal. I give KK credit they battled to the end. But one thing to be was evident today we won no breaking ball. Just had no run of it. Everything went Galway way.

Galway hit some serious points in the first half, from all angles. They really started well and were very agressive but hurled with intelligence. I stand to be corrected but I think all of their starting forwards scored from play in the first half. Apart from T.J., none of our forwards were able for Galway - it was a different Galway this week. They put serious pressure on the shooter.

We were always going to come back into the game and the lads hurled like demons but having got it back to 1pt, it was just too much to keep it going. Hogan and Fennelly made a big difference in second half and 33mins will do them the world of good.

Scruff will be disappointed with the goal he conceded but the save into the ground in the 2nd half was unreal. Full back line, half backs and mid-field were all over the place in the first half - but Galway's movement up top was very good.

Losing Wally early on was a big blow against a Galway defence who as so dominant in the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Wally won 3 early pyck outs but dropped them or gave them away.leahy ryan bwhind their men to often.james maher not at tbe races first half.where will game be next week anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Wally won 3 early pyck outs but dropped them or gave them away.leahy ryan bwhind their men to often.james maher not at tbe races first half.where will game be next week anyone know.

Don't think its decided yet. Presume it will be Thurles or Cork.

Tough going to be out 3 weeks in a row, especially after 2 very physical matches. Presume Fennelly and Hogan will start.

Obviously as a Galway man delighted with the win, but great credit to kk for coming back into the match so strongly. Wouldn't rule out another meeting between the two sides again this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

donnem33 wrote: »
    Don't think its decided yet. Presume it will be Thurles or Cork.

Tough going to be out 3 weeks in a row, especially after 2 very physical matches. Presume Fennelly and Hogan will start.

Obviously as a Galway man delighted with the win, but great credit to kk for coming back into the match so strongly. Wouldn't rule out another meeting between the two sides again this year!

Hard to rule out any sides .. maybe wexford and clare .. I presume the bookies will find it hard to split Kilkenny & Limerick

dubcat51 wrote: »

Not sure if it'll be on the Saturday or Sunday yet. I think one quarter-final on Saturday and the other one on the Sunday.

Thurles would be best bet I'd say.

not much to add to the above but as we know we got wiped out in the first half in the half foward line and our backs were on a hiding to nothing with what ball coming in.
    our only ball winner wally going off certainly didn't help but we couldn't win break or anything around our mf or half foward line.
    Hogan while making a big difference will be dissapointed to drive a few poor wides by his standard but hopefully himself and colin can kick on from here.
    While no doubt galway were the better team and are a few years ahead of us you couldn't fault our lads for determination scanlon had a half chance if he had to get that goal it would of being intresting going down the home stretch.
    it was intresting to see lennon finish at 3 and padraig on the wing i wonder will he change things around next week or spring someone like kevin kelly in a make or break match.
    Its going to be very hard pick things up in such a short period of time but id be a little more confident playing limerick than I would be today.

Lads any opinions on why we start matches so poorly. It happened against Clare in the league, Dublin, Galway and Wexford in round robin and again today.
    We then fight are way back into games but why can't we start like that.
    Limerick will look at this and will try to get 6-7 points ahead after 25mins. They will be fresher than kk so giving our poor starts, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.
    Credit where credit is due, Galway were immense in the first half, throw back to the great Kk team

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Just on the Lennon/Walsh switch, anyone know if that came through management or did the players change themselves?

Sounds like Gaa want at least one of the quarters in Cork

minty81 wrote: »
    Just on the Lennon/Walsh switch, anyone know if that came through management or did the players change themselves?

Sounds like Gaa want at least one of the quarters in Cork
    id say it was management but im suprised lennon was ahead of delaney.
    does anyone who watched it on tv know what was wrong with wally?

Seems like a thigh problem they said but never shown any replay of the challenge or whether it was Innocuous

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

On TV they said it was a groin problem

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Thought lennon because of his size v glynn was a good call to go to 3.padraig at 5 woyld give us alot going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Followed it on radio. Don't think I heard Brian Cody interviewed after? But stand to be corrected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement