Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Just watching semi final from last year. We really caught Limerick on the hop, however we really played well in the first half. We were around 60 per cent off this performance in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think they just panicked, got caught in the headlights and thought they had to just see the game out. Would have been a good final.
    Think it was a few factors, whiteline fever from us and we deviated from the gameplan, launched high ball on tipp's HB line which suited them to a tee. Tipperary were exceptional in the last 20 mins it must be said, their lads on the scene sense 2008 or 2009, callanan, noel McGrath Brendan and Padraig maher were all outstanding in that period. A factor forgotten by many is Shaun Murphy going off injured after 52 mins, himself and rory o'connor were both carrying injuries into the game, rory lasted 64 mins. Murphy was a huge loss as he was picking up bubbles and making hay getting forward exploiting bubbles questionable workrate, setting up Wexford's 1st goal, bubbles didn't get into the game until Murphy went off.also think our normal gameplan's biggest negative is it is so energy shapping and could also have been a factor.

If a Kilkenny Wexford final had accorded O'Hanlon would have been extremely doubtful which would have been huge as he picks up TJ. He done knee ligaments in the 1st half against tipp and played on. Not his ACL some of the other ligaments, i suspect like Shefflin and tennyson for ye in 2010 he would have started but shouldn't have. He was out injured for the remainder of 2019 for his club.

Stay safe everyone and the same to you're friends and families, follow the recommended guidelines and hopefully progress can be made on controlling the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

The GAA, in conjunction with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, have launched the GAA Digital Archive at Croke Park providing free access to past GAA matches to internet users around the world.
    113 All-Ireland finals since 1961 are included in the archive and provincial finals from 1961 also feature. The new archive also includes All-Ireland club finals since 1989.
    In all, over 500 football and hurling matches were retrieved from broadcasters and information such as date, result, venue, referee, scorers and teams and substitutions was added.
    This might be useful to all GAA fans during this time of isolation! STAY SAFE.

https://www.gaa.ie/gaa-now/archive/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

I see looking for a hurling team from 1970s up. What older generation would make it? Keher, Frank Cummins?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Jim Kenny rip gentleman, always ready to help somebody in need, great supporter of his community gaa club St patricks Ballyragget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Jim Kenny rip gentleman, always ready to help somebody in need, great supporter of his community gaa club St patricks Ballyragget.

Poor man, and not an old man either. RIP. Really brings home the reality of the coronavirus and the risks people in healthcare are taking to take care of everyone.

I wish some people (to be fair, mainly one person) on this thread were willing to put losing out on this year's championship into perspective when put in that context.

Poor man, and not an old man either. RIP. Really brings home the reality of the coronavirus and the risks people in healthcare are taking to take care of everyone.

I wish some people (to be fair, mainly one person) on this thread were willing to put losing out on this year's championship into perspective when put in that context.

One of the mods on here brought to my attension a couple of weeks ago about something I said about the season ticket somebody complained about it. There is awfull things happening at the moment all people that are on here keep safe and your families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Fred Daly wrote: »
    One of the mods on here brought to my attension a couple of weeks ago about something I said about the season ticket somebody complained about it. There is awfull things happening at the moment all people that are on here keep safe and your families.

True. Championship wont be played this year. No chance until a Vaccine is sorted and passed which will be 2021 at best please god.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Is anyone hearing any word on the ground (or from officialdom!) as regards potential scenarios for the club & juvenile seasons this year? I'm kind of hopeful that the announcement during the week of gatherings being allowed up to 5000 leaves things open for the club scene.
    Any dates being mentioned? Or likely formats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is anyone hearing any word on the ground (or from officialdom!) as regards potential scenarios for the club & juvenile seasons this year? I'm kind of hopeful that the announcement during the week of gatherings being allowed up to 5000 leaves things open for the club scene.

I think you've misread this somewhat. They didn't say that gatherings of under 5,000 would be allowed, more that anything of over 5,000 will not be licenced.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    more that anything of over 5,000 will not be licenced.

I was just reading this from an optimistic point of view...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Senior and intermediate are both now 4 groups of 3 .meaning top team in each group will move into quarter finals .2nd place will play first rounds and 3rd place relegation simi. Less league games with every team only guaranteed 3 games. Eventual winners will only have to play 5 games TOTAL unless they come from 2nd or 3rd position where they will have 6.short year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Senior and intermediate are both now 4 groups of 3 .meaning top team in each group will move into quarter finals .2nd place will play first rounds and 3rd place relegation simi. Less league games with every team only guaranteed 3 games. Eventual winners will only have to play 5 games TOTAL unless they come from 2nd or 3rd position where they will have 6.short year

Wouldn't 4 groups of 3 with 2 group matches for each team with the winners of the group going into the semi finals, the third place teams going into the relegation semi-finals and the 2nd place teams going into some form of Shield competition not make more sense? Scrap the quarter finals. Each team gets a minimum of three matches and a maximum of four with no replays so matches have to be decided on the day. It would allow for the Championships to be run-off as quickly as possible which may be needed.

kksaints wrote: »
    Wouldn't 4 groups of 3 with 2 group matches for each team with the winners of the group going into the semi finals, the third place teams going into the relegation semi-finals and the 2nd place teams going into some form of Shield competition not make more sense? Scrap the quarter finals. Each team gets a minimum of three matches and a maximum of four with no replays so matches have to be decided on the day. It would allow for the Championships to be run-off as quickly as possible which may be needed.

Every team has to have a knockout championship game this is not my suggestion it's what is coming from county board. And as things stand it's what is happening

Thanks for the info. Sounds fairly workable, not overdoing it on number of games but still everyone getting a fair crack at it. And enough chances to avoid relegation.
    Any word on Juveniles? I mean U13 and up. I know there's big variation as regards number of teams in different ages / roinns. Will it be possible to have any kind of leagues or will it be limited to Championship knock out?
    I presume a few blitzes is the best we can hope for as regards U11 and younger.

Thanks for the info. Sounds fairly workable, not overdoing it on number of games but still everyone getting a fair crack at it. And enough chances to avoid relegation.
    Any word on Juveniles? I mean U13 and up. I know there's big variation as regards number of teams in different ages / roinns. Will it be possible to have any kind of leagues or will it be limited to Championship knock out?
    I presume a few blitzes is the best we can hope for as regards U11 and younger.

Unless schools reopen. Nothing will be happening with juveniles.
    Even hard to imagine any sports happening if kids are still social distancing
    Including adults games. Waiting game

Really would be a pity to write off the whole year. This virus is here for the long term, we're going to have find ways to live with. That includes work and play.
    A lot of the commentary on the subject is focused on the financial loss to the GAA. That's completely missing the main point - people need to be able to keep up their sporting activities, from the youngest to the oldest.

Thank my lucky stars I went to the three club finals what a great weekend for kilkenny hurling, little would you think that weekend what was ahead of us hopefully we will get a solution going into another bank holiday weekend nothing happening not good for people take care all.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I remarked to a few people recently that this RTE All Star selection format would invariably throw up some howlers
    00144257-614.jpg?ratio=1.78

But six best backs from last 40 years and no JJ?
    ffs

And Podser Maher is selected!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I remarked to a few people recently that this RTE All Star selection format would invariably throw up some howlers

ffs

And no Ollie canning either. Yet somehow diarmuid o Sullivan is there? Was it picked by someone from cloyne by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ffs

Ah jaysus. JJ with 9 All-Irelands and 7 All-Stars and he doesn't get on the team... That's a joke!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

And no Ollie canning either. Yet somehow diarmuid o Sullivan is there? Was it picked by someone from cloyne by any chance?

No Sky pundits were eligible for this team.

It's a online vote biggest population biggest vote bit like the Eurovision. Load of **** really

Parish pump politics at its best.

Sounds like we have a date to aim for! 20th July.
    Sure that gives us loads of time to run off the season. County, Club, Juvenile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ah jaysus. JJ with 9 All-Irelands and 7 All-Stars and he doesn't get on the team... That's a joke!

Absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

ffs

Some dogs dinner off a selection, JJ and Tommy are non negotiables on a team like this and I'm not from kilkenny. I would leave out cummins, o'Sullivan and maher for fitzhenry, canning and JJ.

Looks like training (small groups) will get started in Phase 2 (June 8). Games in Phase 4 (July 20). That's if Hurling is not a Close Physical Contact sport! Phase 5.
    I know these are all subject to everyone being on best behaviour, but at least they give some light at the end of the tunnel....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

The main concern at present seems to be getting the club back into action by late August/September,that would mean one of three options for intercounty 1. Not payed at all. 2. played October/ November 3. played early 2021. I was looking at the age profile of the Kilkenny team. Lads like TJ/ Riche Hogan will be 33/32 this year, Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly 31, Conor Fogarty and Eoin Murphy 30. Kilkennys age profile is pushing up. This stop is not ideal for Kilkenny at present with an ageing team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement