Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

What???

You play the two teams in your group. The 3 rounds are A v B, A v C and B v C.

Top of group goes into QF.
    2nd and 3rd place teams play each other in open draw 1st round, can't play team from your own group.
    Winners go to QFs
    Losers go to relegation SFs

Stand to be corrected but have heard this initial proposal has now been changed to allow all senior/inter clubs 3 rounds in the league by playing teams in opposite groups. Remainder of championships as originally stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

So your position in your table relates to games against teams that other teams in your actual group didn't play against?

So someone could end up playing Shamrocks, Village and Loughlins and someone in the same group could play Danesfort, Mullinavat and Bridge and that's how your position is determined.

That would be peak GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

The format is as originally laid out, you play 2 games in your group and a minimum of one game of knockout championship.

All going well, draws & fixture dates early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Will be interesting to see the groups when drawn you could end up with one or two very strong groups and the others being relatively easy for a strong side.

I wonder will they try and do seeding for the draw based on last year's final placing in league or championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Will be interesting to see the groups when drawn you could end up with one or two very strong groups and the others being relatively easy for a strong side.

I wonder will they try and do seeding for the draw based on last year's final placing in league or championship.

I thought they might just split the original two groups into 4 groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

The clubs have been informed that it is a crossover league where teams for example in group A will play teams in group B and C will play D. So it makes no difference who is in your group as you will not be playing them. It's my understanding that for example all 3 teams in group A could end up on 6 points and the team on the lowest scoring average ending up in a relagation first round. And all teams in group B could end up on 0 points and 2 of these will not be in a relagation. All teams will get 5 games. It's actually laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

ClubFirst wrote: »
    The clubs have been informed that it is a crossover league where teams for example in group A will play teams in group B and C will play D. So it makes no difference who is in your group as you will not be playing them. It's my understanding that for example all 3 teams in group A could end up on 6 points and the team on the lowest scoring average ending up in a relagation first round. And all teams in group B could end up on 0 points and 2 of these will not be in a relagation. All teams will get 5 games. It's actually laughable

Seems to be a lot of confusion about the new format. From what I heard it seems straight Forward enough. It’s a cross over league where 2 groups are matched together. So the 3 teams in group A play against the 3 teams in group B. So all playing 3 matches (not 5) against the same 3 opposing teams. Same happens for groups C & D. Some talks of last years semi finalists being seeded also. So for example if group A contains Shamrocks, Dicksboro & The Rower and group B contains James Stephens, Danesfort and Clara each team in A plays each team in B. Shamrocks will play JS, DFort & Clara, Boro will play the same 3 as will Rower. Team 1 into QF, teams 2 & 3 into first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

suirway wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of confusion about the new format. From what I heard it seems straight Forward enough. It’s a cross over league where 2 groups are matched together. So the 3 teams in group A play against the 3 teams in group B. So all playing 3 matches (not 5) against the same 3 opposing teams. Same happens for groups C & D. Some talks of last years semi finalists being seeded also. So for example if group A contains Shamrocks, Dicksboro & The Rower and group B contains James Stephens, Danesfort and Clara each team in A plays each team in B. Shamrocks will play JS, DFort & Clara, Boro will play the same 3 as will Rower. Team 1 into QF, teams 2 & 3 into first round.

What I meant by 5 games is each team will get a minimum of 5 games this year. But surely cant be possible or acceptable that a team in group B like you have in your post above could top a group on 0 points? Is it not possible that all teams in group A will win all their games? Or a team that wins its 3 games in group A ends up in relagation first round.? Madness

That cross group thing is complete nonsense. Why put teams in a group where you don't play eahh other. I refuse to believe anyone is that stupid to come up with such a convoluted bollocks of a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

That cross group thing is complete nonsense. Why put teams in a group where you don't play eahh other. I refuse to believe anyone is that stupid to come up with such a convoluted bollocks of a concept.

Yeah, why not just pick the groups and play the other 3 teams in your group?

Why is it not the same as 'normal' years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

suirway wrote: »
    It seems there are 3 matches for every team. Groups A/B/C/D but teams play against the 3 teams from another group if that makes sense. So teams in group A for example with play the 3 teams in group B etc.

Is that not two group games and then a knockout game?

Top of each group of 3 to the QF's.
    2nd of each group plays 3rd of another group in Qualifiers (is that where the crossover confusion comes in?). Winners to the QF's and losers to the relegation SF's?

Basically every side has a minimum 3 games, one of them at least a knockout game.

To win county, you have to play a minimum of 5 games, max 6? And if you get relegated you play a max of 5?

Or am I reading that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

randd1 wrote: »
    Is that not two group games and then a knockout game?

Top of each group of 3 to the QF's.
    2nd of each group plays 3rd of another group in Qualifiers. Winners to the QF's and losers to the relegation SF's?

Basically every side has a minimum 3 games, one of them at least a knockout game.

Or am I reading that wrong?

I heard this weekend clubs had an issue with team in second place essentially being in a relegation match vs 3rd so they devised a new plan whereby teams in A play vs teams in B as explained above. 3 group games for each team will leave us with

4 first place teams in the 1/4 finals
    4 2nd place teams play in 2 knockout 1st rounds
    4 3rd place teams play in 2 1st round/relegation semi finals

It will start the first weekend in August, however GAA are likely to bring back the date for allowing physical training and challenge matches, expect to see teams Physical training/ hurling challenge games in early July now.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Anyone here anything about juvenile. I have heard that all u12 camogie competitions are cancelled and teams .can play challenge games but only every 2 weeks all go games blitz are cancelled for all ages.
    I presume they are following same guidelines as juvenile hurling
    I think they should hold of on making a big call like that until end of July

I'm told U15 and minor will be run off in August.
    U13 in September.

That's the only details I have

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

ClubFirst wrote: »

It's crazy really, why couldn't they just have a proper club competition all teams getting plenty games, and forget about county. They are trying to run two competitions in a half arsed way instead of one competition probably

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

It's one thing getting involved in petty tit for tats with other counties about what happens between the white lines, but to be having a go at fellas for raising money for hospice is a level of spite that's really breaking new ground.

Shameful stuff.

Shame you can not read.

The best of luck to all our gaa players offically back training to day keep safe.

Heard the draw is being made on Saturday at 12 and the first game is being brought forward to the weekend of the 2nd of August

Heard the draw is being made on Saturday at 12 and the first game is being brought forward to the weekend of the 2nd of August

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2904

All the details are here

What is the story about supporters going to these matches .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

I think matches are played at the same time over 3 stages of the weekend. Are the league games in all grades home and away or neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

All Ireland set for December 13th

Leinster Semi v Laois or Dublin
    Galway v Wexford

On the easier side of the draw no doubt, not that it'll be easy or anything.

It will be league type matches fitness will win out, it will be strange all going well going to chamionship matches at that time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Congratulations Kilkenny. Well lads you landed on your feet again with that draw, like true Cats. The Dubs who may or may not turn up and then into a Leinster final. Then you look at Limerick in Munster. They have to play Clare and Tipp just to get to a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Congratulations Kilkenny. Well lads you landed on your feet again with that draw, like true Cats. The Dubs who may or may not turn up and then into a Leinster final. Then you look at Limerick in Munster. They have to play Clare and Tipp just to get to a final.

https://images.app.goo.gl/L2AYN8fij9xHH28q9

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

In the interest of calling out county teams who are training before they are meant to.
    Our own Kilkenny team were at it on Wednesday night with county players not allowed to train with their clubs on the first night collective training was allowed.
    Brian Cody not all about the club apparently as much as he says in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

larrya wrote: »
    In the interest of calling out county teams who are training before they are meant to.
    Our own Kilkenny team were at it on Wednesday night with county players not allowed to train with their clubs on the first night collective training was allowed.
    Brian Cody not all about the club apparently as much as he says in the media.

To quote a former Garda Commissioner, I find it quite frankly disgusting.

Its about 15 weeks to the beginning of the championship. All players will be training and playing club games. They will have a full month to work on tactics and oatterns of play before a game us played. CROKE PARK are to blame for this. Why do these control freaks over intercounty feel they need to constantly be training the player. Quite simply, any county that trains should be kicked out of the championship.

It was the clubs of Ireland that put their shoulder to the wheel and swung into action helping the most vulnerable members of society during lockdown. This is a kick in the teeth for the clubs.
    If covid returns, not that I want it to, I will have a wry smile at the thought of the intercounty set up being abandoned for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BloodyBill wrote: »

I agree with you that is time to scrap the Munster championship and go to an open draw.

• Advertisement

I thought big games always brought on teams, laugh when i hear the Dubs might not turn up i think from limericks history they have a good reputation for not turning up they were lucky to hold on 2018. I agree scrap the
    munster championship have an open draw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement