Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

On TV they said it was a groin problem

Showed him on bench and he had ice on it.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Followed it on radio. Don't think I heard Brian Cody interviewed after? But stand to be corrected.

He was interviewed afterwards on tv. Said poor first half but lads battled well in second half etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Thought lennon because of his size v glynn was a good call to go to 3.padraig at 5 woyld give us alot going forward.
    glynn caused us alot of trouble in the first half limerick will try flanagan on padraig.
    apart from morrissey who got a run around i thought joey and murphy are coming back into a bit of form while buckley tidydied up a good bit of ball but like some of our earlier matches when our mf and fowards are wiped out theres only so much our backs can do.Galway got some outrageous scores in the first half.leahy cant seem to get going at all in the half foward line and blanchfield hasn't being as good when coming on the last few matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone list out the KK changes throughout the game? Was trying to figure out who was being replaced by whom but stadium announcer was almost non-existent.

MfMan wrote: »
    Anyone list out the KK changes throughout the game? Was trying to figure out who was being replaced by whom but stadium announcer was almost non-existent.
    blanch from wally
    Hogan and colin for billy ryan and leahy
    Lennon for morrissey
    scanlon for donnelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ah lad Murphy got cleaned. Cleaned out.

The full back line conceded 1-11 from play like. Cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Taught Conor Fogarty s halk eye wide in the second half was crucial, all the momentum was with us at the time, it would have left us just one point down . Galway got the next 3 points and we had a couple of bad wides in the mean time ,
    Overall savage effort in the second half ,if we could put a good 70mins together who knows where we will end up ,

Ah lad Murphy got cleaned. Cleaned out.

The full back line conceded 1-11 from play like. Cleaned.
    I haven't watched the match back but the backs were under so much pressure from our fowards getting cleaned.I thought joey done well but when you see joe etc getting 4 points from play its not good reading for our defence.i definitely wouldnt be giving our fowards a free pass here we were cleaned out in the first half every puckout was returned ball after ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

brookville wrote: »
    blanch from wally
    Hogan and colin for billy ryan and leahy
    Lennon for morrissey
    scanlon for donnelly

Thanks. Mistakenly I believed one of the KK subs was himself subbed also. Didn't realise W Walsh was injured / not fully fit when he came off, was thinking Cody would move him first before hooking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Would you have not then changed the Puck out strategy then? seams we lack a plan b

• Advertisement

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Would you have not then changed the Puck out strategy then? seams we lack a plan b
    we probably didn't show enough for short puck outs but continuing with route one when it wasnt working probably wasn't a good idea.Galway are the benchmark when it comes to aerial ability but leahy who is usually strong in the air hasn't being winning enough ball.
    Hopefully wally recovers for next weekend if we could get a win next weekend who knows where it could take us.

Garyp88 wrote: »
    we probably didn't show enough for short puck outs but continuing with route one when it wasnt working probably wasn't a good idea.Galway are the benchmark when it comes to aerial ability but leahy who is usually strong in the air hasn't being winning enough ball.
    Hopefully wally recovers for next weekend if we could get a win next weekend who knows where it could take us.

My thoughts exactly if a change works then great if not you just get an onslaught but least you tried to change it. The fact the forwards won nothing put immense pressure on the backs which just became relentless

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Great to see Derek put Donal Grady in his place on The Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

I missed that bit. What did O Grady say? And how did Derek respond?

Every course of blood flowing in O’gradys veins has hatred for Cody and Kilkenny in it.

I can’t stand the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd drop Leahy for the Limerick game. He seems far better coming off the bench. He hasn't played well in the last two matches he started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

what has Derek won as an intercounty manager again? Obviously Grady knows his stuff.

kksaints wrote: »
    I'd drop Leahy for the Limerick game. He seems far better coming off the bench. He hasn't played well in the last two matches he started.
    I think the same can be said of donnelly or blanch but these lads are young lads and should improve.kevin kelly is nearly back I wouldnt be shocked to see him on the bench the next day.scanlon looked lively when he came i remember one incident when he caught it in space in the square but dropped it out of his hand he could of taken a snap shot if he hadn't fumbled it but im probably clutching straws.

kksaints wrote: »
    I think the same can be said of donnelly or blanch but these lads are young lads and should improve.kevin kelly is nearly back I wouldnt be shocked to see him on the bench the next day.scanlon looked lively when he came i remember one incident when he caught it in space in the square but dropped it out of his hand he could of taken a snap shot if he hadn't fumbled it but im probably clutching straws.

It's just the fine tuning that we need at the minute the talent and work rate is there just need the composure and the decision making. Leahy to me great hurler, raw talent but makes some poor decisions that should get better with time. Donnelly, mossy, blanchfield all good with potential but seem to drift too far out the game and ineffective for long periods, the work rate of aylward is class so you'd think no long standing effects just lacking his scoring touch.
    All the above will come with age, game time, experience and is not out the question because if this team clicks the potential could be massive and even if we lose the limer

The limerick game it's been a better season than expected and it's only going to get positive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Derek is a nice man but he does go on a bit. Donal is lucky to get a word in edgeways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

jelutong wrote: »
    Derek is a nice man but he does go on a bit. Donal is lucky to get a word in edgeways.

Derek seems to know it all for a guy that failed to deliver an Ireland for Waterford.

At least Grady did it once and won All Ireland's too so i know who of the two I would listen to more if I wanted a proper analysis on how to win a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpinMaster21

A lot of ifs and buts afterwards but how Galway picked off points from everywhere was the difference today.

Make no doubt about it Galway are a serious, serious team and are the reigning All Ireland Champions and provincial champions. Hats off to them on a great performance and also to our own lads, they gave everything the last day and obviously being a smaller team with a savage work rate is more draining especially in this heat. Galway players are bigger, faster and stronger but that is where they are at now in their cycle.

No point in slating players either, all of them give their all and it’s not everyone gives up their free time to represent their county. My personal opinion is that their is a lost generation of hurlers and lads that just couldn’t break on the team or hung around the panel for 2/3 years and for one reason or another they are no longer involved due to our own success (without sounding like my diamond shoes are too tight). How could they break on with such greats as Noel Hickey, Tommy, JJ, Henry, DJ, Brennan, TJ, Hogan and many more in the full of their powers during our “Golden Era”. Now no team can stay on top forever and that’s the beauty of sport but I feel the game evolved and maybe passed us by in the good times whilst we had a once in a lifetime team that no matter how any team played weren’t going to be beaten. But at the moment it’s all about workrate/off the shoulder runs/big lads physically dominating/short passing game and we just are adapting to the game rather than dominating it like in the past.

Great game and thanks to both teams for a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

First of all congrats to Galway deserved winners, in the first half they were unreal putting balls over the ball for everywhere. Canning and mannion very impressive today. I said coming in our backs would have to rule the skies again if we wanted to win and sadly that didn't happen, last week we had many great catches, today we had none, instead their backs caught some great balls and look their movement and delivery was top class. Happy that our lads kept going going going and going and if fogertys point went over who knows but overall Galway deserved winners.

Thought the corner backs were poor today. both struggled big time but alot of that was down to the space left exposed infront of them and the good quality ball coming into them but Limerick will do the same and their corner forwards are quality.

Losing wally was a blow inde end as we needed someone to win balls clean and get a score from nothing in the last 10 minutes but thought he was poor when he was on, yes he caught balls but he kept losing it. I called for hogan at 11 and he was very hit and miss today but he's getting better with every game. He got on alot of ball today but lost alot also which lead to Galway scores and missed a few chances but deserves a start next week. Fennelly was very good today, think his favourite position is 14. It was only 35 minutes but he completely took the best FB in Ireland out of the game, when he's on he's almost inpossoble to stop.

I'm a big fan of Richie Leahy, think he has abit of class about him but he was shocking today. He's a very confident young lad normally but I think for the first time in a while he's lacking confidence. In the league he hurled crazy good stuff at midfeild but Cody put maher in MF ahead of him and I think it's affected him. His best position is MF where he can roam about . Hard to know what to do with him as he's a pure confidence player but I'd be surpirsef if he started next week but ive no doubt he'll come good.

We battled like dogs today, especially Alyward he really brought the fight to Galway but he just lacked match sharpness. Beside the 2 corner backs and enda morresisy everyone today hurled a decent game while the Galway lads hurled out of their skin. It will be tough next week but if we get a reaction and everyone raises their game we will win.

We seemed surprised at the intensity Galway brought right at the start which was a surpise as they were always gonna get a reaction after last week. For next week Cian lynch could cause chaoss and Same with Tom Morressy. Hayes's job will be to try stop Buckley but I think Buckley will manage and also Walsh on Flanagan will be a good battle, they'll play diagonal balls into him which Walsh has struggled with but physically Walsh will be able to complete and I fancy him to hurl well. ( how is Lennon ahead of Delaney and cleere on another note) gillane is a classy hurler but look he's not half as good as hogan and TJ on their day so here's hoping. One things for sure we'll battle to the end.

jelutong wrote: »

Derek seems to know it all for a guy that failed to deliver an Ireland for Waterford.

At least Grady did it once and won All Ireland's too so i know who of the two I would listen to more if I wanted a proper analysis on how to win a game.

I listen to everybody - every day is a school day and all that! By your reckoning - Fintan O' Connor shouldn't be the Kerry senior hurling manager as he never even hurled before!!

wally a big doubt I was reading this morning.we really missed his ball winning ability when he went off.you would expect colin and hogan to start but he'll probably spring a surprise somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Seadin wrote:
    what has Derek won as an intercounty manager again? Obviously Grady knows his stuff.

Hurling has changed a lot since Donal O'Grady was involved in management. He seemed to think there's only one right way to play hurling. I'd have much more respect for Derek McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Don't often agree with Loughnane but thought his point about Cody building a core of 8 or 9 players was very true. Unfortunately the players outside this core are just not consistent enough at the moment. We hurled most of the first half with maybe 2 forwards and neither midfielder performing which put massive pressure on our backs. I was impressed with the fight back and would love to see the team hurling well for the full 70 mins and think we won't be far away then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I’m not sure what happened or how it happened, but it happened. I was among those who called it wrong. I will spend the next few days trying to figure it out but some initial thoughts.

Firstly, I disagree that we started badly (maybe some with see this as controversial). I thought the first couple of minutes that we really drove into Galway, we rattled them and we won the aerial ball (Walter Walsh in particular), but we scored nothing. During that period one player in particular made three unforced errors. Paul Murphy. Don’t get me wrong , I really like Paul Murphy, he is a top player when on his game but when he is off his game, he is really off his game. A lot of people love Paul and that’s why in 2016, Joey Holden took more flak than Paul did when it should have been the other way round. Paul is not a young player, not a new player, he is an experienced player. But if you are a new young player and you see one of the more experienced players fumbled balls, I ‘m guessing it might rub off on you mentally. Paul was probably must at fault for the Galway goal. As a team the malaise spread and continued for a lot of the game, particularly the first half. Wally catching a great ball and handing it to the opposition. Cillian Buckley rising a ball for a Galway forward to score a simple point. Billy Ryan falling over when he had a great chance. Ger Aylward’s continual failure to hold the ball cleanly without it cbounding around like a hot potato. James Meagher picking the ball off the ground. Conor Fogarty’s wide under no pressure (Hawkeye) when he already scored from the same position moments before. TJ Reid’s line ball straight across the field to a Galway player, just because the camera was in his way (Thought it was way to near the sideline). These are just a sample of errors made by our players. All unenforced errors. Most of the examples I have given are by our experienced players, not our new players. There are many more examples of unenforced errors. Why so many? I’m not sure yet. However, the positive I do take from them is that we slipped 12 points down because of them, kept making unenforced errors and still came back to within a point. Compare that to what our golden team would have done against opposition playing like that. Waterford in 2008, Tipp and Cork in National Leagues in Nowlan Park for examples. I believe there is still vulnerability in that Galway team. Another positive, I take is scoring 3 goals. We said we needed to start scoring goals. What better way than 2 with old fashioned ground strokes against the All-Ireland champions.

The change of John Donnelly for Martin Keoghan didn’t work. Some were wondering what Keoghan did in the first game, well Aidan Harte’s contribution which included a point and the delivery of the ball for the goal certainly increased. Keoghan is a lot harder worker than Donnelly. Donnelly is a lot more skilful. Combine that with Richie Leahy struggling, it did hand momentum to Galway wing backs to launch what they couldn’t do the previous week. It slowed down when Richie Hogan came in at centre forward and TJ moved to one wing and Blanchfield came in at the other. That was the catalyst for our comeback.

I do not blame the referee for the defeat, but I thought his understanding of the advantage rule was horrendous. From a Galway point of view, they are not happy with the amount of steps Aylward took for his goal. Owens, kept giving him advantage because he was being fouled the whole way in. To be honest he should have just given the free and take out his cards. On the other side the amount of times Kilkenny players were fouled and Owens was giving advantage, but no advantage actually accrued was astronomically. One Kilkenny player who was still being fouled cleared the ball under immense pressure, but directly over the sideline. Owens left the lineball to Galway. On the subject of lineballs, we are actually atrocious at them at the moment. TJ used to be able to cut them over the bar.

Can we beat Limerick? I was confident we would beat Galway, I was almost right the first day. Completely wrong yesterday. Am I confident against Limerick? I’m afraid not. Not as confident anyway. Once again we are into the third match in 15 days scenario which in the round robins didn’t end very well for anyone. The two previous games were played in intense heat much warmer than the round robins. It was blistering in Thurles yesterday. These are amateur players who have to go to a day job, not like a professionals who can spend the week at recovery sessions. I said it before, “player welfare” is old hat at this stage. It was buzz word a few years ago, it really doesn’t matter now. We are where we are though. Our lads are in a boat that they were never in before, nor was anyone else. It’s new territory. The key will be mental preparation. Yesterday has to be forgotten. There is no time to try out new tactics. Our best bet will be to go with the Croke Park tactics. We know Limerick will try to adopt the Galway model, they would be mad not to. Physically and scientifically the bodies can recover, so it will be down to the mental freshness that can be found during the week. If we get over Limerick it will be a huge huge victory this time. It’s a new challenge with such a young team but is now such a big one. I’m excited to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Hurling has changed a lot since Donal O'Grady was involved in management. He seemed to think there's only one right way to play hurling. I'd have much more respect for Derek McGrath.

Would have been interested to hear McGrath's differentiation between Galway's numbers in attack between last weekend and this weekend amplified with reference to his own time with Waterford.

At least O'Grady seemed to have some kind of vision and was able to progress a team with obvious learning from previous experience. Waterford took one step forward and two back under McGrath who never seemed to quite have a convinced idea as to how they should play or what their best team/approach was. They played 21 championship matches under McGrath and won only 8. Some county team managers would be castigated for such a record.

I quite enjoyed him on the Sunday Game but he is a bit garrulous and could be tedious enough to listen to after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

Can we beat Limerick? I was confident we would beat Galway, I was almost right the first day. Completely wrong yesterday. Am I confident against Limerick? I’m afraid not. Not as confident anyway.

Have to say that I could never understand the confidence of some here in relation to the games against Galway. And as I said here recently, maybe TJ Reid's equaliser was something Kilkenny were better off without as it put Galway on guard for future games and forces Kilkenny into a challenging game straightaway.

All that said, I predicted earlier in the year that Kilkenny would beat the third team in Munster in the quarter-final and lose the subsequent semi-final to Cork. I still think that's the most likely outcome. Limerick are potentially good but are unproven, while Kilkenny have wonderful courage and resolve.

And remarkably for a team that has had such success relatively recently they cope very well with being second best in a match; no hanging heads or sense of entitlement or blaming each other. The point being that even if Limerick are going well in the quarter-final Kilkenny will battle on. 50-50 game I'd say. Put it another way, I cannot understand how anyone could have been confident against Galway but would lack confidence against Limerick.

The availability of Walter Walsh will be a key factor as he always gives an out ball in a hectic match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement