Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A rumour or a statement? Because if the latter it really serves no one any good

A strong rumour , told to me by a person with strong connections.

Cover up is better ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

greenspurs wrote: »
    A strong rumour , told to me by a person with strong connections.

Cover up is better ?

Or maybe not speculating where somebody got the virus is better when in reality you, I or 99% of the county don’t have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Any word on Adrian Mullen how he is progressing with his knee injury.
    Meet one of the Ballyhale players last Saturday and he said that Adrian had a scare when he jarred his knee a few weeks previously. However apparently he was back training last week and has been doing well. He might struggle to make an impact in the club campaign but will hopefully be able to be ready for the intercounty games a bit later.

The rumour about a Kilkenny Camogie player was untrue.

They have stopped their collective training to allow players back to their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Meet one of the Ballyhale players last Saturday and he said that Adrian had a scare when he jarred his knee a few weeks previously. However apparently he was back training last week and has been doing well. He might struggle to make an impact in the club campaign but will hopefully be able to be ready for the intercounty games a bit later.

That would be fair going. Did he not get the op in Feb/Mar? Only 5 months from op is good going to be back doing a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Are all the leinster hurling matches going to be played in croke park this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Heard o lloughlins came up to play cuala and the ref abandoned the game after 20 minutes.anyone here what happened or what started the bad feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Thanks for that. Great listen. Brutally honest from Herro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Thanks for that. Great listen. Brutally honest from Herro.

Very good insight to the psychology of management at the time. Deeply worrying actions and mental psychology by the management. What was said to Herity at the banquet was nothing short of disgraceful and Herity would be well entitled to smack Fogarty for his words. Herity put a lot of work and thought into his performance too and for management to bring that up is a disgrace.

Very funny Cody fuming over his little cupcake to Henry's "mother of all cakes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

The banquet was the one that shocked me. That’s a night to be enjoyed by all. If there’s an issue address it at a later date, let lads enjoy their night after all that’s been put in throughout the season. Very unfair to put a dampener like that on anyone. Not the time and place in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'm not going to lie Cody sounds like a peculiar character from listening to the podcast.

Highlight for me was nearly Dalo attempting a Morgan Freeman impression, I couldn't stop laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The comment about the selectors staying up until five in the morning until they agreed with Cody's team bears out what people have thought for years: what's the point in bringing in selectors when we all suspect they're not really being listened to anyway?

Herity comes across well although I'd say he was absolutely not a Cody type personally. Loved his comment that this will ask be in his book. A join the dots about him and Cody. Clearly Cody got in his head anyway!

He once took a training session for our club up in Dublin, very good trainer anyway and was very generous given the dire quality of the hurling we were making him look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

big_drive wrote: »
    The banquet was the one that shocked me. That’s a night to be enjoyed by all. If there’s an issue address it at a later date, let lads enjoy their night after all that’s been put in throughout the season. Very unfair to put a dampener like that on anyone. Not the time and place in my opinion

Unbelievable that a guy who has put his life on hold all year to get a comment like that in what should be the happiest most relaxed point of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

big_drive wrote: »

9/10 counties would have cared little in what he said , most players are half cut by that stage anyway , and even if you dont drink your still on cloud 9 as a result of the day you just had

the fact that the likes of fogerty cornered him on it afterwards in the way he did summed up just how important attention to detail is/was in the camp and why overall kilkenny have been so successful under Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Cody's definitely more of a Rommel than Von Manstein type General. Herrity gave some insight into his methods . The ruthlessness is amazing. He's just focused on the result like Rommel was. Even their method of attack is similar...straight up the middle at speed. And when you've soldiers or players who are better than everyone else then your set. Rommel and Cody run into trouble when events and personel change
    The problem with Cody is his players. They aren't of the same class as before. Von Manstein was the greatest battlefield tactician probably of all time..architect of the greatest fighting retreat of all time. Cody is no tactician and his squad is good but not great. Its not as good as Limericks or Tipperary. I think he won't retire until he's sure he can't win with an average squad..Its his one weakness...Can he still win with average players...? Hes all about 'legacy'. And that question is the one that lingers.

Obviously enough given he’s talking about himself but I thought Herity made a joke or somewhat talked down some of his own mistakes whereas everything Cody ever did or said was seen as some big mind game?

Like with all these things I think the truth sometime lies in the middle.

The dressing room anecdote with Ned Quinn if true was disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

Interesting insight

He got off lightly after 2011 interview considering the rumours on john mulhalls demise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

Probably helped that he was a goalie and at the time Cody couldn’t be picky about letting him go off panel, there wasn’t that many quality keepers around at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Herity thought it was a big deal himself and Cody not getting on when in reality Cody fell out with a lot of his players, Cha, Charlie, Dalton, Jackie, Tommy, Richie Power, TJ. Although most of them will not say anything they all had bust ups with Cody.
    That Kilkenny set up looks the furthest thing from fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Is it supposed to be fun? It's elite level sport. You spend most of your posts on here calling the players you don't like ****e but now you're complaining about it not being fun? That's talking out of both sides of your mouth in my opinion.

There's stories in that podcast which don't sound great but Herity is not traumatised for **** sake. We're also only getting his side of it. I like Herity, love his honesty whenever he's interviewed and he always comes across very well but he admits that he went on The Sunday Game fairly merry and made a skit of Cody. I don't agree with Ned Quinns actions in the dressing room but once Herity gave it out then he has to be able to take it back. Maybe it should have been kept until the next day but I don't feel sorry for him because of that.

Its also hardly surprising that Cody is a bollocks when it comes to Kilkenny hurling. The players have always said they had great craic together but Codys job was always to drive them to keep going and there's no denying that during that time he succeeded.

The take away is what has been obvious for a long time - we don't have the personnel in charge to adapt to the new way of hurling tactically.

And that it's known that Cody brings in those in the front seat to take his job. Only he knows of he does it to protect himself or for the good of the Kilkenny hurling team.

Is it supposed to be fun? It's elite level sport. You spend most of your posts on here calling the players you don't like ****e but now you're complaining about it not being fun? That's talking out of both sides of your mouth in my opinion.

There's stories in that podcast which don't sound great but Herity is not traumatised for **** sake. We're also only getting his side of it. I like Herity, love his honesty whenever he's interviewed and he always comes across very well but he admits that he went on The Sunday Game fairly merry and made a skit of Cody. I don't agree with Ned Quinns actions in the dressing room but once Herity gave it out then he has to be able to take it back. Maybe it should have been kept until the next day but I don't feel sorry for him because of that.

Its also hardly surprising that Cody is a bollocks when it comes to Kilkenny hurling. The players have always said they had great craic together but Codys job was always to drive them to keep going and there's no denying that during that time he succeeded.

The take away is what has been obvious for a long time - we don't have the personnel in charge to adapt to the new way of hurling tactically.

And that it's known that Cody brings in those in the front seat to take his job. Only he knows of he does it to protect himself or for the good of the Kilkenny hurling team.

Herity is no angel himself I know he spent about 2 hours absolutely ripping the piss out of one of his teammates in Delaney's. Said teammate would not be the quickest but is a lovely fella. When the rest of the team moved over to the Village Inn the same player stayed with Cody and selectors. I think it was the last time Cody joined the lads for drinks in the week after an AI.

I think Herity seems like a nice guy hard working and put everything he could into it. We've all acted like idiots with a few jars in us and I wouldn't hold it against him but as another poster said there's two sides to every story. I don't think Herity was looking for sympathy and was just telling what happened which I admire.

Any of the ex or current players will tell you as did Cody in his book that he's not there to make friends but to build a team. I think it was an approach that worked when we had lots of options, I'm not so sure it works so well now with less options and can Cody adapt? At the moment I would say he probably can't. I think he has this year or next year to win an AI after that we'll have to wait another few years for young lads to come through and mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyone know how attendance of maximum of 500 at club matches is going to be managed. I am told that players, selectors, officials etc will take up around 100 of this. I heard that tickets will be sold in advance and that you can't just turn up on the day and hope to gain admission but I suppose that this will depend on how may are expected to turn up. Will season ticket holders get priority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »
    Anyone know how attendance of maximum of 500 at club matches is going to be managed. I am told that players, selectors, officials etc will take up around 100 of this. I heard that tickets will be sold in advance and that you can't just turn up on the day and hope to gain admission but I suppose that this will depend on how may are expected to turn up. Will season ticket holders get priority

Yea I heard season tickets get priority and might have the 24hrs to buy them before they go on sale to the public.I heard barry hickey talking bout it and they are still working out what way they are going to do it but it will be along these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

brookville wrote: »
    Yea I heard season tickets get priority and might have the 24hrs to buy them before they go on sale to the public.I heard barry hickey talking bout it and they are still working out what way they are going to do it but it will be along these lines.

The clubs in Kilkenny get the gate from the matches. So the clubs wont get any revenue from Season Tickets, that's why club members will have to get tickets first and why it's a headache for county boards. Also tickets will more than likely have to be sold through each club. Also included in the 500 will be all the match day stewarding. Clubs will be lucky to get 150 tickets each for their supporters.

Senior Hurling League

Friday, July 31

Group A
    John Locke Park: Bennettsbridge v O’Loughlin Gaels (7.30pm)
    UPMC Nowlan Park: Shamrocks v Tullaroan (7.30pm)

Group B
    Páirc Lachtain: Graigue-Ballycallan v Clara (7.30pm)

Saturday, August 1

Group A
    UPMC Nowlan Park: James Stephens v Danesfort (2pm)

Group B
    UPMC Nowlan Park: Erin’s Own v Mullinavat (7pm).
    Bennettsbridge: Rower-Inistioge v Dicksboro (7pm).

Michael Lyng motors Intermediate Hurling League

Friday, July 31

Group A
    Thomastown: St Patrick’s v Carrickshock (7.30pm).

Group B
    Canon Kearns Park: Young Irelands v Fenians (7.30pm).
    Palmerstown: Dunnamaggin v Lisdowney (7.30pm).

Saturday, August 1

Group A
    Páirc Lachtain: O’Loughlin Gaels v John Lockes (2pm).
    Mooncoin: Thomastown v Glenmore (2pm).

Group B
    Ballyragget: St Lachtain’s v St Martin’s (7pm)

Tickets for games will be distributed through clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Senior Hurling League

Friday, July 31

Group A
    John Locke Park: Bennettsbridge v O’Loughlin Gaels (7.30pm)
    UPMC Nowlan Park: Shamrocks v Tullaroan (7.30pm)

Group B
    Páirc Lachtain: Graigue-Ballycallan v Clara (7.30pm)

Saturday, August 1

Group A
    UPMC Nowlan Park: James Stephens v Danesfort (2pm)

Group B
    UPMC Nowlan Park: Erin’s Own v Mullinavat (7pm).
    Bennettsbridge: Rower-Inistioge v Dicksboro (7pm).

Michael Lyng motors Intermediate Hurling League

Friday, July 31

Group A
    Thomastown: St Patrick’s v Carrickshock (7.30pm).

Group B
    Canon Kearns Park: Young Irelands v Fenians (7.30pm).
    Palmerstown: Dunnamaggin v Lisdowney (7.30pm).

Saturday, August 1

Group A
    Páirc Lachtain: O’Loughlin Gaels v John Lockes (2pm).
    Mooncoin: Thomastown v Glenmore (2pm).

Group B
    Ballyragget: St Lachtain’s v St Martin’s (7pm)

Tickets for games will be distributed through clubs

any idea what the story is with season ticket holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comerman wrote: »
    Wonder why the large time gap between the two games in the park on the 1st

Time needed to disinfect dressing rooms maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

kksaints wrote: »
    Time needed to disinfect dressing rooms maybe?

Sorry I just deleted the posts after figuring it's to do with covid :-) probably more for the crowd though, isn't there 4 dressing rooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comerman wrote: »
    Sorry I just deleted the posts after figuring it's to do with covid :-) probably more for the crowd though, isn't there 4 dressing rooms

Not sure, could also have to disinfect gates, turnstiles etc. Also to avoid a build up of crowds is probably another reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement