Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Big win for Windgap last night .....the 2 Power brothers from Callan have have a big difference ....dont agree with them being allowed to transfer like that though

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

davidx40 wrote: »
    Big win for Windgap last night .....the 2 Power brothers from Callan have have a big difference ....dont agree with them being allowed to transfer like that though

I see a Jim and pat power on the team, is there a third lad (Sean?) aswell? Did he transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The Powers must have cutting all ties with Callan, they must have a base in Windgap that they could transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Colin Fennelly didnt appear overly interested tonight.Maybe an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

kilkenny34 wrote: »
    Colin Fennelly didnt appear overly interested tonight.Maybe an injury.

Looked disappointed coming off so I'd say injury was a factor. Tullaroan was ravenous. only BH player that really impressed was R. Reid who was class. Kinda surprised Shane W. didn't get MOTM. Great match by a very sharp Tullaroan. BH lucky to get the draw.

I don't quite understand how they can keep the clock running during the water breaks in a 60 min game.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Looked disappointed coming off so I'd say injury was a factor. Tullaroan was ravenous. only BH player that really impressed was R. Reid who was class. Kinda surprised Shane W. didn't get MOTM. Great match by a very sharp Tullaroan. BH lucky to get the draw.

I don't quite understand how they can keep the clock running during the water breaks in a 60 min game.

The ref just adds the time for the water stoppage to the other time for injuries. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Very enjoyable match on TG4. The ref played his part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭I see sheep

That was a class match, well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

i thought it was very enjoyable. A lot of rustiness, a lot of very class players, and some stunning moves. Shamrocks hit some woeful wides betimes, and Tullaroan hurled like a team that will stick it to anyone. Crisp, sharp hurling.....and Tommy (no. 14) is still there to be treasured. It was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Great game between shamrocks and tullaroan ref let it go which was good to see as a neutral. It’s a pity TJ doesn’t get to spend more time in the full forward line.great to be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

The ref just adds the time for the water stoppage to the other time for injuries. It's not rocket science.

Thx for clearing it up although the petty little dig at the end wasn't needed. thx all the same. I wondered if that was the case(added to injury time) .

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Very good game. Not many clubs could afford to finish without 3 county men and still get a result. The Shamrocks are playing a distinctly different shorter style, Cork influenced obviously. Richie Reid hurled well but he's too loose. Joey was good as was TJ and Ronan Corcorcan. Eoin Reid still has it, what a servant. For Tullaroan, Tommy Walsh was majestic at full back. Doheny, Padraig Walsh, Keoghan and Simpson before his injury were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

KK36 wrote: »
    Very good game. Not many clubs could afford to finish without 3 county men and still get a result. The Shamrocks are playing a distinctly different shorter style, Cork influenced obviously. Richie Reid hurled well but he's too loose. Joey was good as was TJ and Ronan Corcorcan. Eoin Reid still has it, what a servant. For Tullaroan, Tommy Walsh was majestic at full back. Doheny, Padraig Walsh, Keoghan and Simpson before his injury were very good.

Out of interest just wondering where the Cork influence you refer to is coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Who is the commentator on BEO? Hasn't a clue of the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Comerman wrote: »
    Who is the commentator on BEO? Hasn't a clue of the teams.
    Don't know about today but I'd be fairly sure the commentator on the Glenmore v Thomastown match was Tommy Lanigan former chairman of the Village and teacher in St Kierans could be wrong though. If not the voice and mannerisms are the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Taggy did the Village game earlier on.

Taggy did the Village game earlier on.

Very poor, he was talking about Gilly playing 15 minutes after he was subbed

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Ballyhales second goal was a thing of beauty. A well worked goal under pressure. It was a goal or lose. What age is Shane Walsh? His last point was a great point. Surely Cody will look at him. Martin Keogh looks to have improved since he was dropped from Kk panel.
    With Shane Walsh, Brian Cody, Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullen, we have some good young forwards coming through. We def need a goal getter, Eoin Cody has a good eye for goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Ballyhales second goal was a thing of beauty. A well worked goal under pressure. It was a goal or lose. What age is Shane Walsh? His last point was a great point. Surely Cody will look at him. Martin Keogh looks to have improved since he was dropped from Kk panel.
    With Shane Walsh, Brian Cody, Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullen, we have some good young forwards coming through. We def need a goal getter, Eoin Cody has a good eye for goal.

I was impressed with tullaron the other night.They have some good players and really tore into the shamrock.Mossy looked to have improved but I didnt hear of him being dropped.Shane walsh was brought in but for some strange reason was dropped after the laois match.He came on that day for a few mins but himself and evan shefflin and a few others were dropped around that time.Its a pity cause I would of gave him more of a chance.
    Colin didnt look right the other night but looked frustrated coming off.
    It's great to have the club back and the players are in great shape.Our club scene is as strong as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Very poor, he was talking about Gilly playing 15 minutes after he was subbed

Taggy hasn't a clue TBH. Sound fellow but he's no student of the game.

• Advertisement

The Rower were obviously out to avenge last year's league result where the Boro ripped them apart and won pulling up by 15 points. The Rower tore into the Boro in the first quarter and rushed to a 0-6 to 0-2 lead inside ten minutes. The Boro started to get back into it a bit before the water break with it being 0-7 to 0-4. The Boro got on top after this but it was still a tight affair as the torrential rain came down but the Boro got to the half a point ahead 0-11 to 0-10. The first half was highly entertaining with the Rower half back line dominating and setting up attacks at will. Boro's defence struggled to get on top but eventually got to grips with the challenge and started setting up good opportunities for the forwards both sides had shots on goal saved with James Logue in the Rower goal pulling off a few beauties.
    The second half started with misfortune for Richie Leahy as he pulled up with a hamstring tear in his left leg within 20 seconds of the restart. I can't imagine Leahy will play much part in the remainder of their league campaign. The Boro got on top here and scored a few points to push the lead out to 13 but the rain was making play difficult. The Rower completely lost their shape up front when Leahy went off but their defence was doing it's job and limiting the Boro opportunities to score. The Rower had just pulled back a point with a free from David Kelly when Rower midfielder Ciaran Ryan hit Andy Gaffney late off the puck out. Ryan got a yellow card. Within 20seconds of the restart Ryan was at it again and got a second yellow and the line. David Kelly got another free directly after the sending off to bring it back to 0-13 to 0-12. This would be The Rowers final score of the game and the game was effectively over as a contest and as the rain eased off the Boro started to convert the opportunities they were creating. The Rower defence still did well to limit them from points but in the final quarter the Boro applied the pressure and after a jinking and mazy run through the defence and around defenders Bill Sheehan laid off the perfect pass to the on rushing Chris Kavanagh who rifled the ball to the far corner. Directly from the puckout the Boro secured the ball and again a pop pass to a thundering Aidan Nolan who charges through the defence from 50+ yards and batted the sliotor past James Logue from the edge of the big square. It finished out 2-16 to 0-12.

Could have been a different match but for the rain and the loss of Leahy and the the red card. However I think the Boro were always the fitter team and once they started taking their chances there was only going to be one winner. The Rower fought really hard and the score line was probably unfair to them but when you play most of the second half with only 2 men inside and losing your best forward it was always going to be tough. The best players for the Rower were Leahy, Pat Lyng and James Logue. The Boro had a great performance from Shane Stapleton in midfield with 4 from play and 6 frees along with it, Buckley looked back to his best and organised the defence and delivered great ball forward. Bill Sheehan and Mark Nolan caused plenty of trouble up front throughout and Aidan Nolan finished the game very strongly.

I think the Rower will struggle without Leahy but won't be easy beat either, I'd suspect Clara and the Vat would have too much for them without Leahy. The Boro were rusty but seemed to blow off the cobwebs by the end. They'll have a tough test against GBC and then a very stern test against Comer to finish out the group phase. The should win at least one more and might win both if they play to their ability. The Boro were missing a lot of players with niggles and I would hope as they come back they'll get stronger but injuries are going to be the issue for all teams. For instance the Boro were missing 4 starting backs last night and another 4 or 5 lads who were starting a lot last year too. I'm sure the Rower were missing a few as well and I think the teams with the strongest panels will go the furthest in this year's championship.

I think the teams with the strongest deepest panels are O'Loughlin's, Dicksboro and maybe Clara and the Bridge. They might not have stars but their all strong teams who are not greatly weakened when they loose 4 or 5 players.

Anyway great to get the first round of games under the belt and get a feel for where teams are the next round will tell much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing match reports on here so I'll do a brief one on Graignamanagh V Galmoy in the Junior Championship. This game was a tempestuous encounter that somehow ended up with only 1 red card for Graig. 2 for each team would probably have been fair but there could have been a few more. However it was a very entertaining game which had a bit of everything including a 39 minute 2nd half! Graig started well and led from start to finish but Galmoy will surely rue a number of missed goal chances in the first half. Graig tightened up well in the 2nd half dropping their midfield deep and using the strengthening wind well to pick off some great long range points. A lack of a programme means I cant give credit to the best on the Galmoy team. For Graignamanagh Richard Foley was outstanding but it was probably the best team performance by them for a long time. The work rate of the Graig forwards in particular was excellent in the 2nd half with pressure on clearances leading to a number of scores. As a Graig man I was delighted leaving the match and hopefully we can have a repeat performance versus Kilmacow next weekend.

big_drive wrote: »
    Out of interest just wondering where the Cork influence you refer to is coming from?

Isn’t their trainer a Cork man??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

KK36 wrote: »
    Isn’t their trainer a Cork man??

He is a former Waterford senior hurler from Lismore. Trained cork teams to senior titles down there.

He is a former Waterford senior hurler from Lismore. Trained cork teams to senior titles down there.

Sound. So I guess it’s a Waterford style they’re playing at times so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Anyone give me a good reason why M Murphy from Comer isnt in running for county team , let alone the panel?
    He has been absolutely outstanding in bothe games so far this year aswell as all of last year. Running defences ragged on his own at times.

doel wrote: »
    Anyone give me a good reason why M Murphy from Comer isnt in running for county team , let alone the panel?
    He has been absolutely outstanding in bothe games so far this year aswell as all of last year. Running defences ragged on his own at times.
    He’s around 31, Some display from him yesterday.

Dicksboro had an easy win against a feisty but limited GBC team who are without Billy Ryan.
    A fairly pernickety display by Gavin Quilty mean't his whistle was going non stop and for a lot of soft frees and then he wouldn't see the bad ones so hard to tell much about either team. Only for the frees the scoreline would have been 0-18 to 0-5 and probably would have been a fairer reflection on the difference between the teams. The Boro squandered at least 4 gilt edged goal chances and they will need to start taking them if their to take on the bigger boys over the remaining weeks. I could give a blow by blow but once the Boro went ahead after 2 minutes they were never behind GBC managed to get level with them occasionally in the first half but it was mainly one way traffic. Boro had 3 players back from their injured list Robbie Fitzpatrick, Conor Fitzpatrick and Andy Gaffney. The two Fitzpatricks did well in the back lines and Andy Gaffney started out playing well and got himself an early point but he fell hard on his shoulder and it looked like a collar bone break. It's unlikely Andy will feature again for the Boro, they also lost Robbie Murphy who came on as sub but seemed to badly tear his hamstring, 4 weeks at best I'd assume. Hard to pick anyone out for GBC but Sean Ryan played well from play and free's, their centre back and full back Egan and Flynn did their best to stem the flow Hoyne in goal also made some great saves it would have been a different scoreline without him. The Boro had good performances by Ollie Walsh, Aidan and Mark Nolan, and Shane Stapleton. Young Liam Moore came on for the Boro in the second half and settled in after a bit and got himself a nice point from distance.

Final score 0-24 to 0-13

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

He’s around 31, Some display from him yesterday.
    Was brought in when about 20 0r 21. I'd say the " Comer Lifestyle" didn't tie in with Cody.

• Advertisement

Was brought in when about 20 0r 21. I'd say the " Comer Lifestyle" didn't tie in with Cody.

Comer lifestyle??? Do you know something about Murphy that I don't? Do tell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement