Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

A lot of ifs and buts afterwards but how Galway picked off points from everywhere was the difference today.

Great game and thanks to both teams for a great game

No point in slating players either, all of them give their all and it’s not everyone gives up their free time to represent their county. My personal opinion is that their is a lost generation of hurlers and lads that just couldn’t break on the team or hung around the panel for 2/3 years and for one reason or another they are no longer involved due to our own success (without sounding like my diamond shoes are too tight). How could they break on with such greats as Noel Hickey, Tommy, JJ, Henry, DJ, Brennan, TJ, Hogan and many more in the full of their powers during our “Golden Eraâ€. Now no team can stay on top forever and that’s the beauty of sport but I feel the game evolved and maybe passed us by in the good times whilst we had a once in a lifetime team that no matter how any team played weren’t going to be beaten. But at the moment it’s all about workrate/off the shoulder runs/big lads physically dominating/short passing game and we just are adapting to the game rather than dominating it like in the past.

No point in slating players either, all of them give their all and it’s not everyone gives up their free time to represent their county. My personal opinion is that their is a lost generation of hurlers and lads that just couldn’t break on the team or hung around the panel for 2/3 years and for one reason or another they are no longer involved due to our own success (without sounding like my diamond shoes are too tight). How could they break on with such greats as Noel Hickey, Tommy, JJ, Henry, DJ, Brennan, TJ, Hogan and many more in the full of their powers during our “Golden Eraâ€. Now no team can stay on top forever and that’s the beauty of sport but I feel the game evolved and maybe passed us by in the good times whilst we had a once in a lifetime team that no matter how any team played weren’t going to be beaten. But at the moment it’s all about workrate/off the shoulder runs/big lads physically dominating/short passing game and we just are adapting to the game rather than dominating it like in the past.

What players do you think would be valuable if they had to stay knocking on the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Any venue announced yet for 1/4 finals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

he GAA can confirm the following fixture arrangements for next weekend.

Saturday July 14

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final Group Stage

Group 2 | Phase 1

Roscommon v Tyrone, Croke Park, 5pm, SKY

Dublin v Donegal, Croke Park, 7pm, RTE

GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final

Clare v Wexford, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 3pm, RTE

Sunday July 15

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final Group Stage

Group 1 | Phase 1

Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 2pm, SKY

Kerry v Galway, Croke Park, 4pm, RTE

GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final

Kilkenny v Limerick, Semple Stadium, 2pm, RTE

Electric Ireland GAA Hurling All-Ireland Minor Championship

Quarter-Final | Round 2

Galway v Kilkenny, Semple Stadium, 12pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Thank **** for that

Traffic after the game yesterday was a shambles as well. The guard on duty at the T junction on the Nenagh Road which let's you cut across Lisheen Mines was pure useless at letting cars out from the college road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    I’m not sure what happened or how it happened, but it happened. I was among those who called it wrong. I will spend the next few days trying to figure it out but some initial thoughts.

Firstly, I disagree that we started badly (maybe some with see this as controversial). I thought the first couple of minutes that we really drove into Galway, we rattled them and we won the aerial ball (Walter Walsh in particular), but we scored nothing. During that period one player in particular made three unforced errors. Paul Murphy. Don’t get me wrong , I really like Paul Murphy, he is a top player when on his game but when he is off his game, he is really off his game. A lot of people love Paul and that’s why in 2016, Joey Holden took more flak than Paul did when it should have been the other way round. Paul is not a young player, not a new player, he is an experienced player. But if you are a new young player and you see one of the more experienced players fumbled balls, I ‘m guessing it might rub off on you mentally. Paul was probably must at fault for the Galway goal. As a team the malaise spread and continued for a lot of the game, particularly the first half. Wally catching a great ball and handing it to the opposition. Cillian Buckley rising a ball for a Galway forward to score a simple point. Billy Ryan falling over when he had a great chance. Ger Aylward’s continual failure to hold the ball cleanly without it cbounding around like a hot potato. James Meagher picking the ball off the ground. Conor Fogarty’s wide under no pressure (Hawkeye) when he already scored from the same position moments before. TJ Reid’s line ball straight across the field to a Galway player, just because the camera was in his way (Thought it was way to near the sideline). These are just a sample of errors made by our players. All unenforced errors. Most of the examples I have given are by our experienced players, not our new players. There are many more examples of unenforced errors. Why so many? I’m not sure yet. However, the positive I do take from them is that we slipped 12 points down because of them, kept making unenforced errors and still came back to within a point. Compare that to what our golden team would have done against opposition playing like that. Waterford in 2008, Tipp and Cork in National Leagues in Nowlan Park for examples. I believe there is still vulnerability in that Galway team. Another positive, I take is scoring 3 goals. We said we needed to start scoring goals. What better way than 2 with old fashioned ground strokes against the All-Ireland champions.

The change of John Donnelly for Martin Keoghan didn’t work. Some were wondering what Keoghan did in the first game, well Aidan Harte’s contribution which included a point and the delivery of the ball for the goal certainly increased. Keoghan is a lot harder worker than Donnelly. Donnelly is a lot more skilful. Combine that with Richie Leahy struggling, it did hand momentum to Galway wing backs to launch what they couldn’t do the previous week. It slowed down when Richie Hogan came in at centre forward and TJ moved to one wing and Blanchfield came in at the other. That was the catalyst for our comeback.

I do not blame the referee for the defeat, but I thought his understanding of the advantage rule was horrendous. From a Galway point of view, they are not happy with the amount of steps Aylward took for his goal. Owens, kept giving him advantage because he was being fouled the whole way in. To be honest he should have just given the free and take out his cards. On the other side the amount of times Kilkenny players were fouled and Owens was giving advantage, but no advantage actually accrued was astronomically. One Kilkenny player who was still being fouled cleared the ball under immense pressure, but directly over the sideline. Owens left the lineball to Galway. On the subject of lineballs, we are actually atrocious at them at the moment. TJ used to be able to cut them over the bar.

Can we beat Limerick? I was confident we would beat Galway, I was almost right the first day. Completely wrong yesterday. Am I confident against Limerick? I’m afraid not. Not as confident anyway. Once again we are into the third match in 15 days scenario which in the round robins didn’t end very well for anyone. The two previous games were played in intense heat much warmer than the round robins. It was blistering in Thurles yesterday. These are amateur players who have to go to a day job, not like a professionals who can spend the week at recovery sessions. I said it before, “player welfare” is old hat at this stage. It was buzz word a few years ago, it really doesn’t matter now. We are where we are though. Our lads are in a boat that they were never in before, nor was anyone else. It’s new territory. The key will be mental preparation. Yesterday has to be forgotten. There is no time to try out new tactics. Our best bet will be to go with the Croke Park tactics. We know Limerick will try to adopt the Galway model, they would be mad not to. Physically and scientifically the bodies can recover, so it will be down to the mental freshness that can be found during the week. If we get over Limerick it will be a huge huge victory this time. It’s a new challenge with such a young team but is now such a big one. I’m excited to see how it goes.

Other unforced errors in the first half included Eoin Murphy striking two puckouts directly to areas where there was no Kilkenny players, Enda Morrissey giving away a free with a push on the back, numerous short passes going astray. A number of Galway scores resulted from these errors while we had a number of bad wides.
    Having said that, I couldn't fault the effort of any of the players, they are a credit to the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

minor at 12 is this knock out?

blackcard wrote: »
    I’m not sure what happened or how it happened, but it happened. I was among those who called it wrong. I will spend the next few days trying to figure it out but some initial thoughts.

Firstly, I disagree that we started badly (maybe some with see this as controversial). I thought the first couple of minutes that we really drove into Galway, we rattled them and we won the aerial ball (Walter Walsh in particular), but we scored nothing. During that period one player in particular made three unforced errors. Paul Murphy. Don’t get me wrong , I really like Paul Murphy, he is a top player when on his game but when he is off his game, he is really off his game. A lot of people love Paul and that’s why in 2016, Joey Holden took more flak than Paul did when it should have been the other way round. Paul is not a young player, not a new player, he is an experienced player. But if you are a new young player and you see one of the more experienced players fumbled balls, I ‘m guessing it might rub off on you mentally. Paul was probably must at fault for the Galway goal. As a team the malaise spread and continued for a lot of the game, particularly the first half. Wally catching a great ball and handing it to the opposition. Cillian Buckley rising a ball for a Galway forward to score a simple point. Billy Ryan falling over when he had a great chance. Ger Aylward’s continual failure to hold the ball cleanly without it cbounding around like a hot potato. James Meagher picking the ball off the ground. Conor Fogarty’s wide under no pressure (Hawkeye) when he already scored from the same position moments before. TJ Reid’s line ball straight across the field to a Galway player, just because the camera was in his way (Thought it was way to near the sideline). These are just a sample of errors made by our players. All unenforced errors. Most of the examples I have given are by our experienced players, not our new players. There are many more examples of unenforced errors. Why so many? I’m not sure yet. However, the positive I do take from them is that we slipped 12 points down because of them, kept making unenforced errors and still came back to within a point. Compare that to what our golden team would have done against opposition playing like that. Waterford in 2008, Tipp and Cork in National Leagues in Nowlan Park for examples. I believe there is still vulnerability in that Galway team. Another positive, I take is scoring 3 goals. We said we needed to start scoring goals. What better way than 2 with old fashioned ground strokes against the All-Ireland champions.

The change of John Donnelly for Martin Keoghan didn’t work. Some were wondering what Keoghan did in the first game, well Aidan Harte’s contribution which included a point and the delivery of the ball for the goal certainly increased. Keoghan is a lot harder worker than Donnelly. Donnelly is a lot more skilful. Combine that with Richie Leahy struggling, it did hand momentum to Galway wing backs to launch what they couldn’t do the previous week. It slowed down when Richie Hogan came in at centre forward and TJ moved to one wing and Blanchfield came in at the other. That was the catalyst for our comeback.

I do not blame the referee for the defeat, but I thought his understanding of the advantage rule was horrendous. From a Galway point of view, they are not happy with the amount of steps Aylward took for his goal. Owens, kept giving him advantage because he was being fouled the whole way in. To be honest he should have just given the free and take out his cards. On the other side the amount of times Kilkenny players were fouled and Owens was giving advantage, but no advantage actually accrued was astronomically. One Kilkenny player who was still being fouled cleared the ball under immense pressure, but directly over the sideline. Owens left the lineball to Galway. On the subject of lineballs, we are actually atrocious at them at the moment. TJ used to be able to cut them over the bar.

Can we beat Limerick? I was confident we would beat Galway, I was almost right the first day. Completely wrong yesterday. Am I confident against Limerick? I’m afraid not. Not as confident anyway. Once again we are into the third match in 15 days scenario which in the round robins didn’t end very well for anyone. The two previous games were played in intense heat much warmer than the round robins. It was blistering in Thurles yesterday. These are amateur players who have to go to a day job, not like a professionals who can spend the week at recovery sessions. I said it before, “player welfare” is old hat at this stage. It was buzz word a few years ago, it really doesn’t matter now. We are where we are though. Our lads are in a boat that they were never in before, nor was anyone else. It’s new territory. The key will be mental preparation. Yesterday has to be forgotten. There is no time to try out new tactics. Our best bet will be to go with the Croke Park tactics. We know Limerick will try to adopt the Galway model, they would be mad not to. Physically and scientifically the bodies can recover, so it will be down to the mental freshness that can be found during the week. If we get over Limerick it will be a huge huge victory this time. It’s a new challenge with such a young team but is now such a big one. I’m excited to see how it goes.

Other unforced errors in the first half included Eoin Murphy striking two puckouts directly to areas where there was no Kilkenny players, Enda Morrissey giving away a free with a push on the back, numerous short passes going astray. A number of Galway scores resulted from these errors while we had a number of bad wides.
    Having said that, I couldn't fault the effort of any of the players, they are a credit to the county
    you can add mahers touching on the ground as another cheap score but look we're slowly but surely improving as the year goes on if we can get over sunday and back to croke park who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »

you can add mahers touching on the ground as another cheap score but look we're slowly but surely improving as the year goes on if we can get over sunday and back to croke park who knows.

Lads, mistakes like these happens in games - T.J.'s sideline cut another example. They don't do it on purpose. They are amatuers who gave their all yesterday and during the National League, which they won.

Let's be positive. We all knew we're a bit bit off in terms of winning an AI. We will always compare them with Tommy, J.J. and Henry etc. but I think they're doing ok. Winning the National League was great but championship, with the group stage, is different. Our panel is learning and games like this will stand to them.

Limerick will be a huge battle and they will be fresher but KK lads will give their all.

brookville wrote: »
    minor at 12 is this knock out?

It is listed as Round 2 Quarter Final. I think it is a round robin between ourselves, Galway and Limerick with the top two two to go into the semi-finals along with Tipp and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any words on tickets yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SpinMaster21

mrbango wrote: »
    What players do you think would be valuable if they had to stay knocking on the door?

Look back at the panels since 08 onwards and there’s a lot of young talented hurlers for one reason or another are not involved any more.

I believe 08 was it the minors, 21s, intermediates and senior all won. Lot of lads didn’t get game time than in a normal cycle of a team. We stayed on top for so long with the greatest team ever seen shur how could they get game time.

I wouldn’t be one to go naming names or anything like that but a lot of lads slipped through due to our own success.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Any words on tickets yet?

On sale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Lads and lassies, both my driver options are away on holidays this weekend. Anyone know if there's anyone running a bus to Thurles on Sunday?

Lads and lassies, both my driver options are away on holidays this weekend. Anyone know if there's anyone running a bus to Thurles on Sunday?
    usually delaney or burkes pubs run busses to these matches.i seen jj kavanagh advertising earlier in the year for a match so if you try any of these you shouldn't go to far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lads our minors really need to beat Galway, otherwise its a clean sweep for them. I read that Galway's senior strength and conditioning coach works with the underage teams too. We are def being left behind in this area. U21s for example against Limerick last year and Galway this year.
    Look at our young senior players - Leahy, Scallon, Billy Ryan for example are too light at the mo, to make a big impact at senior level

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Lads our minors really need to beat Galway, otherwise its a clean sweep for them. I read that Galway's senior strength and conditioning coach works with the underage teams too. We are def being left behind in this area. U21s for example against Limerick last year and Galway this year.
    Look at our young senior players - Leahy, Scallon, Billy Ryan for example are too light at the mo, to make a big impact at senior level

All our development squads are working with a Strength and Conditioning coach (Sean Kelly). Strength and Conditioning is not all about bulking up, Conor Whelan has gone on record to say that their S & C actually got him to lose muscle mass.

The age profile of the majority of the Galway team is between 25 and 30 their peak years whereas Deegan, Maher, Delaney, Keoghan, Cleere, Donnelly, Scanlon, Leahy, Ryan, Blanchfield are all 23 or under and are still probably 3 to 4 years away form their peak.

Sport goes in cycles and at the moment Galway are in a good place and it's up to Kilkenny and the rest to catch up!

As regards the Minors needing to win on Sunday because that's some how so important for the future of Kilkenny hurling is really overstating things. The Minors need to win one of their two next matches to get into an All Ireland semi final against Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Think the overriding feeling here is we are not quite at Galways level. I'd agree but all things being equal we shouldn't fear anyone else left in the competition. If we had a two week break going into the Limerick game I'd be much more confident, as it is I'd rate our chances no better than 50/50.

If we are to achieve anything at all this year we need both Fennelly & Hogan in the team and going well. Thankfully they both played well when introduced yesterday. They probably could have been brought on even earlier (20 mins) but that's all irrelevant now.

Tactically I think we fell into the same trap as the 2016 final v Tipp with similar results. Galway pulled out their half forward line leaving loads of space for their inside forwards who they backed to win their fair share of 50/50 ball which they did. They also played a much smarter game - taking their time when necessary with frees, sideline etc.

I also feel the team will need freshening up for Sunday. I can't see Wally playing if his groin is gone so blanchfield to replace him along with Fennelly & Hogan in the forwards. Would also probably throw Keoghan back in there for his legs. Maybe even Luke Scanlon instead of Aylward. Conor Delaney might be worth another run In the backs as he had done very little wrong up to this point anyway.

One other thing - Galway had two clear wides given as points which they never checked on Hawk Eye. One from Canning, can't recall who hit the other. Had a great line to see them both and they were 100% wides. The two points were at critical enough times.

Think the overriding feeling here is we are not quite at Galways level. I'd agree but all things being equal we shouldn't fear anyone else left in the competition. If we had a two week break going into the Limerick game I'd be much more confident, as it is I'd rate our chances no better than 50/50.

If we are to achieve anything at all this year we need both Fennelly & Hogan in the team and going well. Thankfully they both played well when introduced yesterday. They probably could have been brought on even earlier (20 mins) but that's all irrelevant now.

Tactically I think we fell into the same trap as the 2016 final v Tipp with similar results. Galway pulled out their half forward line leaving loads of space for their inside forwards who they backed to win their fair share of 50/50 ball which they did. They also played a much smarter game - taking their time when necessary with frees, sideline etc.

I also feel the team will need freshening up for Sunday. I can't see Wally playing if his groin is gone so blanchfield to replace him along with Fennelly & Hogan in the forwards. Would also probably throw Keoghan back in there for his legs. Maybe even Luke Scanlon instead of Aylward. Conor Delaney might be worth another run In the backs as he had done very little wrong up to this point anyway.

One other thing - Galway had two clear wides given as points which they never checked on Hawk Eye. One from Canning, can't recall who hit the other. Had a great line to see them both and they were 100% wides. The two points were at critical enough times.

Hawkeye automatically checks all scores. Are you doubting Hawkeye?

Hawkeye automatically checks all scores. Are you doubting Hawkeye?

Indeed, i presume the Canning point he is referring to is the one tight to the sideline underneath the old stand which i had a very good line on and it was definitely a point!

I agree that we shouldn't really fear anyone else hopefully we won't be to down and out after sunday things might be different if we were bet by 10 or 12 points but the spirited performance gives us hope.
    I think if we can get over this sunday we might have a say but things need to go right for us and we need a few fowards to step up.15 points sunday and 18 the previous week isn't good enough but hogan and colin can definitely add that scoring threat but we've chopped and changed a good bit so far in our attack and I think it's noticeable in some of our link up play but we're going to have this with inexperienced players but if richie and colin do start sunday they should. be fresher than most of our fowards after missing a good bit so far.
    id say it's safe to say wally is gone with a groin injury but i wouldnt be suprised to see a few suprised this weekend because his certainly surprised me going for billy ryan and bringing on rob lennon.
    I just hope the 3 weeks isn't to much we've seen in salthill after the 3rd week how flat we were earlier but id be hopefull if we don't give limerick a big start we can win this game.
    expectations was low at the start of the year and they've probably given us móre than we thought they would but it'd be nice to win sunday and get them up to a semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Think the overriding feeling here is we are not quite at Galways level.

Ah, to be fair, it's only a "feeling" with the semantically challenged. After three games the objective evidence that Kilkenny are in fact considerably behind Galway is overwhelming. When a team scores 11 times more than you in a Leinster final and their starting forwards outscore yours from play by 14 points "not quite at their level" doesn't describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

what about the 16 steps Aylward took for the first Kilkenny goal? I suppose that shouldn't be ruled out? right? Thay was no goal. Disgracef ref decision. One of the worst of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Galway have more or less stated that anyone who wants to wrestle the title
    From their hands has to match them and score 30+ points in the heat of battle
    To defeat them,ifs and buts aside the replay showed their dominance that the xtra gear and composure is at their disposal, KK got 3 goals and fell well short
    The team that beats this GY team has to add 3 goals maybe 4 and 20pts ta beat em.

The age profile of the majority of the Galway team is between 25 and 30 their peak years whereas Deegan, Maher, Delaney, Keoghan, Cleere, Donnelly, Scanlon, Leahy, Ryan, Blanchfield are all 23 or under and are still probably 3 to 4 years away form their peak.

In 3/4 years time, by the time the players you mention are at their "peak" Hogan, Reid, Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly will all be gone, and a few more of the current team will be edging towards 30 or over. There are many moving parts and take time to get right as we have seen with Galway. Every player bar the goalkeeper on the Galway team that lost the 2016 All Ireland semi final to Tipperary played last Sunday in Thurles.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    In 3/4 years time, by the time the players you mention are at their "peak" Hogan, Reid, Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly will all be gone, and a few more of the current team will be edging towards 30 or over. There are many moving parts and take time to get right as we have seen with Galway. Every player bar the goalkeeper on the Galway team that lost the 2016 All Ireland semi final to Tipperary played last Sunday in Thurles.

Struggling to see your point, apart from a statement of the obvious. Players get older they retire, though I would dispute the fact that Walter Walsh will be gone, in 3 years time he will be 30. And then the likes Darren Mullen, Adrian Mullen, Tommy Walsh, James Bergin, Sean Ryan, Conor Kelly, Ciaran Brennan will all be in their early twenties and hopefully they will be contending for places on the senior team. That's how teams work constantly evolving and regenerating!

Struggling to see your point, apart from a statement of the obvious. Players get older they retire, though I would dispute the fact that Walter Walsh will be gone, in 3 years time he will be 30. And then the likes Darren Mullen, Adrian Mullen, Tommy Walsh, James Bergin, Sean Ryan, Conor Kelly, Ciaran Brennan will all be in their early twenties and hopefully they will be contending for places on the senior team. That's how teams work constantly evolving and regenerating!

I acknowledge your grasp of chronology but if my point is a "statement of the obvious" I'm surprised you don't see it.

You are ignoring your own point which was The age profile of the majority of the Galway team is between 25 and 30 their peak years whereas Deegan, Maher, Delaney, Keoghan, Cleere, Donnelly, Scanlon, Leahy, Ryan, Blanchfield are all 23 or under and are still probably 3 to 4 years away form their peak.

My point is that if you genuinely believe that a successful team is ideally in its peak years when as many players as possible are between 25 and 30 the
    n there is a fair bit for Kilkenny to go rather than just waiting for the current 22/23 year old players to age. There will also be a requirement to replace older players while being aware of the age-profile of the broader team.

Contrary to what you say really successful teams tend not to be evolving at all or at least do so extremely slowly. The idea that they are constantly regenerating is attractive and we used have our ears bent about Kilkenny's subs when they were successful. But in reality in those days 12/13 of the starting team was nailed on. Twelve of the current Galway team played in the 2015 All Ireland final. They nearly all played against Tipperary the year after. Gearoid McInerney was 24 when he made his senior championship debut and had added to an already very settled group of players. Maybe Kilkenny will need to pluck someone like that, someone who didn't even play minor. This is the standard Kilkenny will have to reach and it might be quite the challenge.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I acknowledge your grasp of chronology but if my point is a "statement of the obvious" I'm surprised you don't see it.

You are ignoring your own point which was The age profile of the majority of the Galway team is between 25 and 30 their peak years whereas Deegan, Maher, Delaney, Keoghan, Cleere, Donnelly, Scanlon, Leahy, Ryan, Blanchfield are all 23 or under and are still probably 3 to 4 years away form their peak.

My point is that if you genuinely believe that a successful team is ideally in its peak years when as many players as possible are between 25 and 30 the
    n there is a fair bit for Kilkenny to go rather than just waiting for the current 22/23 year old players to age. There will also be a requirement to replace older players while being aware of the age-profile of the broader team.

Contrary to what you say really successful teams tend not to be evolving at all or at least do so extremely slowly. The idea that they are constantly regenerating is attractive and we used have our ears bent about Kilkenny's subs when they were successful. But in reality in those days 12/13 of the starting team was nailed on. Twelve of the current Galway team played in the 2015 All Ireland final. They nearly all played against Tipperary the year after. Gearoid McInerney was 24 when he made his senior championship debut and had added to an already very settled group of players. Maybe Kilkenny will need to pluck someone like that, someone who didn't even play minor. This is the standard Kilkenny will have to reach and it might be quite the challenge.

What am I "not seeing "? And what "point am I ignoring "?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

The only thing that counts at senior level is on the day.cody has had that as a mantra throughout his management.tge only game that counts is the next one.players who will be in their 20s 30s whatever in a few ywars tine is irrelevant come sunday.were in the last 6 so irs up to us to drive on now.lost leinster final in 12 by 10pts to galway.beat them by 11pts in all irelabd replay that year.its on the day.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    The only thing that counts at senior level is on the day.cody has had that as a mantra throughout his management.tge only game that counts is the next one.players who will be in their 20s 30s whatever in a few ywars tine is irrelevant come sunday.were in the last 6 so irs up to us to drive on now.lost leinster final in 12 by 10pts to galway.beat them by 11pts in all irelabd replay that year.its on the day.

I think the comparison to 2012 is completely irrelevant, i think every Kilkenny supporter will acknowledge that the current team is not as good as the team of 6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I think the comparison to 2012 is completely irrelevant, i think every Kilkenny supporter will acknowledge that the current team is not as good as the team of 6 years ago.

Could also agrue that the Galway team is better than 6 years ago too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement