Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

conor05 wrote: »
    I am not convinced of that midfield pairing at Inter County level.
    Reid especially, but I hope he proves me wrong.

R Reid has been outstanding with his club, albeit at centre back. I think it's worth a go. R Leahy would be ideal there but between injury and lack of form you could hardly risk him.

Anyway , who knows with everything behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

I am not convinced of that midfield pairing at Inter County level.
    Reid especially, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Based on current form I think Richie Reid will offer a lot more at midfield than Fogarty or Leahy. They would be better coming off the bench, for now. Any other midfield options?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

doel wrote: »
    Any word on clubs with new managers.
    From what I hear, Boro, Tullaroan, Vegas,Comer,Danesfort all looking for new men in charge plus a host of intermediate/junior clubs aswell

Stand to be corrected but seems the following managers/coaches no longer with clubs

James O’Connor - Shamrocks
    Cheddar Plunkett - Village
    Mark Dowling - Dicksboro
    Niall Bergin - OLoughlins
    Jimmy Coogan - Tullaroan
    Paddy Mulally - Mullinavat
    Liam Dowling - Erin’s Own
    Barry Power - Clara
    Ger Morrissey - Rower
    James McGrath - BBridge
    Maurice Aylward - TTown
    Paul Carley - Danesfort
    Paul Brennan - St. Martins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Jaysus is anyone staying on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Jaysus is anyone staying on

Not sure the Shamrocks manager is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Grats wrote: »
    Not sure the Shamrocks manager is gone.

Yeah asked someone from the Ballyhale executive that before lockdown and they said if he's stepping down they hadn't been informed and didn't expect he would either. Only two I know for sure are OLG and Boro and I know OLG have already interviewed at least 3 candidates.

Also heard Hoban is staying on with GBC and apparently this has not pleased the locals or some of the players (almost all)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Andy Comerford is O Loughlins manager and think Village have replaced Cheddar too

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Yeah asked someone from the Ballyhale executive that before lockdown and they said if he's stepping down they hadn't been informed and didn't expect he would either. Only two I know for sure are OLG and Boro and I know OLG have already interviewed at least 3 candidates.

Correct no truth in this. James O Connor staying with Shamrocks 100%. Dunnamaggin also looking for a new manager..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

suirway wrote: »
    Stand to be corrected but seems the following managers/coaches no longer with clubs

James O’Connor - Shamrocks
    Cheddar Plunkett - Village
    Mark Dowling - Dicksboro
    Niall Bergin - OLoughlins
    Jimmy Coogan - Tullaroan
    Paddy Mulally - Mullinavat
    Liam Dowling - Erin’s Own
    Barry Power - Clara
    Ger Morrissey - Rower
    James McGrath - BBridge
    Maurice Aylward - TTown
    Paul Carley - Danesfort
    Paul Brennan - St. Martins

Surprised at Cheddar going. Imo he was doing a great job, massive improvement from where they were 2 years ago.
    OLG and the Boro likely to keep it in house again?
    Heard O'Connor was gone from Shamrocks aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

doel wrote: »
    Surprised at Cheddar going. Imo he was doing a great job, massive improvement from where they were 2 years ago.
    OLG and the Boro likely to keep it in house again?
    Heard O'Connor was gone from Shamrocks aswell.

I heard from well known Village business man locally that Cheddar has a fairly demanding job based in Dublin and was traveling straight from there for training, and that he never took any payment from the village.

I’d imagine with Covid situation ongoing a lot of clubs will be tightening the belts, there’s been a few guys on the kk coaching circuit for a while now that might be left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I heard from well known Village business man locally that Cheddar has a fairly demanding job based in Dublin and was traveling straight from there for training, and that he never took any payment from the village.

I’d imagine with Covid situation ongoing a lot of clubs will be tightening the belts, there’s been a few guys on the kk coaching circuit for a while now that might be left out of pocket.

If even most of the list above is correct that seems like quite high turnover and some short duration stints as well. How far off the norm is this? Is it primarily COVID-19 & financial reasons? I know it can be thankless at times. Just surprised & not as tuned in to that side of things. thx

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Will the team be named tonight or tomorrow?

Will the team be named tonight or tomorrow?

Would assume tomorrow night as that's when he normally names a team even when we're playing on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

robwen wrote: »
    Heard from someone involved that DJ is having a noticeable influence on Cody in terms of style of play etc.

Would DJ not have a similar train of thought to Cody, man on man ?
    Anyone have an insight to the approach he takes?
    Or even the way Gorta s preferred style of play??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It will be interesting to see what we can bring to the table this year?what affect will the change to the backroom team have or how will we play against a sweeper system if it faces us.Will our style of play be different?Dublin pushed us to the pin of our collar the last two years and had us in real trouble.They will tear into us for sure.Hopefully we bring our high intensity
    I remember their half back line was very strong but crummey is now in attack and moran is further up barrett was sticky on tj last year and o Donnell had a great tussle with colin.Eoghan o Donnell man marked tj two years ago.Kenny will hope to get these two match up in particular spot on.We will need good performances from the other few fowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Is it true that St lachtains told Tommy Buggy his services were no longer required, or did he feel himself he has taken them as far as he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

brookville wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what we can bring to the table this year?what affect will the change to the backroom team have or how will we play against a sweeper system if it faces us.Will our style of play be different?Dublin pushed us to the pin of our collar the last two years and had us in real trouble.They will tear into us for sure.Hopefully we bring our high intensity
    I remember their half back line was very strong but crummey is now in attack and moran is further up barrett was sticky on tj last year and o Donnell had a great tussle with colin.Eoghan o Donnell man marked tj two years ago.Kenny will hope to get these two match up in particular spot on.We will need good performances from the other few fowards.

I wouldn’t be so sure Crummy will start in attack against Kilkenny.

He is a monster of a athlete and they could put him on Walter for puckouts!

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Is it true that St lachtains told Tommy Buggy his services were no longer required, or did he feel himself he has taken them as far as he can.
    Yeah from what I heard the funds were an issue going forward as is the way with most clubs, I'm sure they were very happy with the results getting to a semi final and all but couldn't sustain the outlay for the set up. They will hardly be alone on that front going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

brookville wrote: »

Eoghan O'Donnell will surely pick up Colin Fennelly, Kilkenny have really struggled to bring their corner forwards into the game when Fennelly is held.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Walter would want to shine this year consistainly. IMO this could be a vital year for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

kk.man wrote: »
    Walter would want to shine this year consistainly. IMO this could be a vital year for him.

He is very frustrating.. he can be very good on his day then has 2 off says. For all his size I wouldn't consider him to be the most physical or to be great under a high ball.. I like him on the wing running on to ball.. cody does seem to love him though and he will get plenty game time

Kil.v Dub.
    E Murphy
    C Delaney H Lawlor C Wallace
    P Walsh P Deegan R Reid
    C Buckley C Fogarty
    J Donnelly TJ Reid W Walsh
    B Ryan C Fennelly E Cody
    Subs
    D Brennan
    P Murphy
    J Holden
    T Walsh
    C Browne
    A Murphy
    R Leahy
    M Keoghan
    R Hogan
    G Aylward
    L Blanchfield

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Walsh normally does well against us and its obviously not unknown for Crummey to shadow ball winners but i can't see Dublin abandoning the experiment tbh. Crummey played in an advanced role in his last two appearances. The championship opener and the keenly contested game against Wexford in the league. With Daire Gray and Conor Burke seemingly going well in the halfbacks it would be a surprise if he moved back without a real acid test.

It'll be back to the drawing board for them if Dublin don't make this a contest. I expect them to tear into it. Its in the last 5 or 10 minutes where they've habitually found it tough to contain Kilkenny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

No Darren Mullen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

robwen wrote: »
    No Darren Mullen

As in he's not in the starting 15 or in the match day panel?

EDIT: Sorry I hadn't realised that the team had been named publicly

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Strong panel but shocked at no darren Mullen also. I thought more village lads may have been involved like brassil, dwyer and guilfoyle. Does any know how old guilfoyle and dwyer are? because dwyer had an excellent club campaign. Does anyone know what's happened to David blanchfield seems to have dropped off the radar. Delighted for aylward to be back in after a good club scene and ciaran Wallace. How has Alan Murphy been selected and Buckley. Buckley maybe on the bench but has not been great lately also delighted for Richie Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Like the team except midfield.dont think buckley has ever played well at midfield.david blanchfield is injured as far as I know.love to see billy ryan and cody catch fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Like the team except midfield.dont think buckley has ever played well at midfield.david blanchfield is injured as far as I know.love to see billy ryan and cody catch fire.

Couldn't agree more Ryan, cody and John donelley can't wait to add to the form of fennelly. Also agree on Buckley I don't think he has the legs for midfield

• Advertisement

I'd say Darren Mullens exclusion could be as a result of a potentially very serious incident which took place after the club's semi final win. I know the senior management were extremely unimpressed by it. I'd be afraid the Mullens brother may squander their phenomenal talent with some seriously brain dead behaviour off the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement