Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Two little bits from this week.

Met one of the players in work yesterday and a lad who put in a huge shift both Sundays. He looked fresh and seemed quietly confident, aware of the task but looking forward to it. If the other 15 that take the field have the same mentality, I'd be confident of victory.

I have heard from a few people (not from the above player obviously- they'd never give it away) that Buckley has an issue with his knee and is a doubt for Sunday. Hopefully not true but would leave a massive hole in the defence and spine of the team if he doesn't start.

Thanks for the info. Big loss if Walter and Fogarty are out.

I do think that for KK to be successful we will have to freshen things up. I would be starting Fennelly and Hogan as they are fresh. Its hard to see Cody changing too much in the full and half back lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If someone is even half fit they'll play on Sunday as its last chance saloon like

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I was at the Carlow and Limerick game last week and wasn't overly impressed with Limerick, albeit they probably were playing well within themselves also. A few things I picked up from the game:

1) Thre full back line look quite shaky. The corner backs look a little slow and lack disipline and give away some really stupid frees. Richie McCarthy at full back is strong and honest as the day is long but I think he is really someone we should be targeting.
    2) There wing backs, despite being big men, were beaten to a lot of the puck outs (First half especially) by the Carlow wing forwards, and better hurlers would have taken bigger advantage of this.
    4)Cian Lynch really is the main man for them and if you can stop him hurling you'll go a long way to stopping Limerick.
    5) There half forward line like to drop faily deep to leave room for the full forward line. Hegarty seems to be there go to option from puckouts and is a big strong man however he lacks a real scoring threat. Morrisey was in and out of the game and didn't do much. Hayes looks like a great prospect, he's big and strong and well able to take his score.
    6) The full forward line is where they are most dangerous, Flangan has a great pace and power and I'm sure they will try and isolate him at full forward. The movement of Gillane and Mulcahy will cause us lots of problems and Murphy and Deegan need to put in big performances.

I think it's going to be very difficult for us to win this game, the 2 tough games the last couple of weeks is bound to have taken a bit out of us and Limerick are coming in very fresh to this, he game last week was like a challenge match pace at times especially in the second half. I do think though if we can create space for our full forward line we can take advantage. I do think we are going to need to score goals to win this game. The team I'd go with would be:

Murphy,
    Murphy, Holden, Deegan
    Walsh, Buckley, Morrissey
    Fogarty, Maher
    Fennelly, TJ, Ryan
    Awlyard, Blanchfield, Scanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Lim
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan
    J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey
    C Fogarty J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy
    B Ryan C Fennelly G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan
    P Lyng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Kil v Lim
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan
    J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey
    C Fogarty J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy
    B Ryan C Fennelly G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan
    P Lyng

I was sure Richie would be starting

• Advertisement

He might still

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

me89 wrote: »
    I was sure Richie would be starting

He might still. Mossy was named last week too but Donnelly started on the day. Wouldn’t be surprised if the same was done this week with Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree re richie.minor game shouls be a cracker before senior game.good luck to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

How in name of god is Ger Aylward picked again

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd make Conor Fogarty man mark Cian Lynch - and I mean man mark hin: whereever he goes. Even if Conor puck a sliotar all game.

Lynch is keyman for them this year. He has so much freedom in mid-field and it suits him...if he's allowed to hurl!

Conor should be told - go whereever he goes, curtail your own game but don't let Lynch touch a sliotar all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

davidx40 wrote: »
    How in name of god is Ger Aylward picked again
    things aren't working for him but to be fair his work rate is very good.The ball just wouldnt stick last week and kept bouncing out of his hand.Its a pity he can't rediscover his form of 15.He has a bit of strenght and experience to add to the attack.i thought he would of went for scanlon instead of Billy ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

The best of luck to our minors , seniors in Thurles on sunday i know ye will give it the best .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpinMaster21

If Richie hogan is 100% fit and not starting ahead of 5 our “forwards” it’s madness. Put him out the field, on a wing or the edge of the square it doesn’t matter if 100%

Do or die time Sunday, some lads given too much time and hasn’t happened so far for them. Forwards win matches and ours aren’t scoring. That’s the simple truth

No doubt limerick will be up for this, I hope we can rise to it early and in the last quarter otherwise we are done hurling for 2018

No doubt the players will give it there all but I fear the past two weekends will play catch up

Minors and seniors goodluck over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

The thing about richie is I'd say he wouldn't make 70 mins. He will defo be on by half time at the latest.
    Walter a big loss but one .and misfortune is another man's opportunity.
    After the last few weeks a superhuman effort required to make an all ireland semi final but I gave faith in these lads. If anyone had asked at the start of the year that we would be playing limerick in an all ireland quarter final we would have been delighted to have a chance of getting to a semi final.
    One thing we have to remind ourselves of. We've had the best hurl8ng team of all time in the past 18 years. These are mostly a new bunch of players and the highest compliment that can be paid is that the bookies and sunday game anaylists fancy a galway kilkenny final. Have faith everyone. It may not happen but if we get past limerick it would be fantastic.
    Best of luck to minors also. Galway tomorrow and limerick next week. Two out of three qualify for semi finals so it's all to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

The thing about richie is I'd say he wouldn't make 70 mins. He will defo be on by half time at the latest.
    Walter a big loss but one .and misfortune is another man's opportunity.
    After the last few weeks a superhuman effort required to make an all ireland semi final but I gave faith in these lads. If anyone had asked at the start of the year that we would be playing limerick in an all ireland quarter final we would have been delighted to have a chance of getting to a semi final.
    One thing we have to remind ourselves of. We've had the best hurl8ng team of all time in the past 18 years. These are mostly a new bunch of players and the highest compliment that can be paid is that the bookies and sunday game anaylists fancy a galway kilkenny final. Have faith everyone. It may not happen but if we get past limerick it would be fantastic.
    Best of luck to minors also. Galway tomorrow and limerick next week. Two out of three qualify for semi finals so it's all to play for.

Yeah my thought when I say Richie on the bench was that he probably doesn't have 70 in him just yet. However he is a potential game changer for us to come in the second half.

I am also happy enough with Ger starting, he is slowly but surely improving and if he gets a good early score to boost the confidence he could have a great game. My only criticism I would have of him that he doesn't look up enough for a teammate.

Ultimately I am happy with the team and I think we can win this but it will be a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

blackwave wrote: »
    Yeah my thought when I say Richie on the bench was that he probably doesn't have 70 in him just yet. However he is a potential game changer for us to come in the second half.

I am also happy enough with Ger starting, he is slowly but surely improving and if he gets a good early score to boost the confidence he could have a great game. My only criticism I would have of him that he doesn't look up enough for a teammate.

Ultimately I am happy with the team and I think we can win this but it will be a close game.

I agree. I think Ger has shown great fight and work rate in both the matches against Galway, just unlucky he doesn't get more scores. Hopefully he can change that tomorrow.

What we really need is for the forwards to start popping a few more over the bar throughout the game and build the score. Limerick have hit savage wides in all their games so far this season. If we can up our scoring and keep their full forward line quiet I hope we should be able to hold them off.

Colin in full forward should be well able to get a few scores, their full back is a weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Think ger has worked hard and jyst needs a few points and he will be back to his best.at least he is getting 3 games in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

laneykin wrote: »
    I agree. I think Ger has shown great fight and work rate in both the matches against Galway, just unlucky he doesn't get more scores. Hopefully he can change that tomorrow.

What we really need is for the forwards to start popping a few more over the bar throughout the game and build the score. Limerick have hit savage wides in all their games so far this season. If we can up our scoring and keep their full forward line quiet I hope we should be able to hold them off.

Colin in full forward should be well able to get a few scores, their full back is a weakness.

Colin seems to have come back from Army Duty with an incredible muscular frame.
    He threw a few Galway lads around the place last week when he came on. He’s a hardy hit of stuff like his brother Mick.

If he is on form he can tear in the limerick full back and cause a bit of panic and get a goal of 2.

Richie Hogan to play a big part in the second half.

I am going for a Kilkenny win by 4pts.

H’on the Cats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

conor05 wrote: »
    Colin seems to have come back from Army Duty with an incredible muscular frame.
    He threw a few Galway lads around the place last week when he came on. He’s a hardy hit of stuff like his brother Mick.

If he is on form he can tear in the limerick full back and cause a bit of panic and get a goal of 2.

Richie Hogan to play a big part in the second half.

I am going for a Kilkenny win by 4pts.

H’on the Cats!!

Very wishful thinking there. Scoring isn't exactly Colin's strong point to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Fennelly is a very limited forward definitely but his style of play is made to cause problems for Richie McCarthy who has no pace. While today’s game in Cork makes for an interesting statement on the relative standards of Leinster and Munster (automatic assumptions of Leinster superiority might not necessarily be reasonable) I don’t think Limerick are great.

I reckon in reality they are a good way behind the top two in that province. Kilkenny could win this one well although Wexford’s display against Clare throws a question mark over the real nature of Kilkenny’s achievements so far this year. Have they won a meaningful game against quality opposition at all? Maybe not. Tomorrow might not even change the second part of that question but they should certainly win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Dont think ive ever seen this place as quite before a big match.Anyway best of luck to our two teams tomorrow i see the minors have made a few changes hopefully the defence has improved.
    Hopefully the seniors fowards trouble the scoreboard and we dont give limerick a big start we need a big 70 mins from everyone.
    Its probably the right move not starting hogan i dunno if he'd have a full match in him yet but and he'll hopefully give us a boost when he comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Fennelly is a very limited forward definitely but his style of play is made to cause problems for Richie McCarthy who has no pace.

Richie McCarthy isn't starting

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Richie McCarthy isn't starting

Plus when he did start on fennelly last yr hr destroyed him so v lazy analysis there

lim4ev wrote: »
    Plus when he did start on fennelly last yr hr destroyed him so v lazy analysis there[/QUOTE

Okay, the not looking at the team first was lazy but since Limerick knew better than to start him in this game the broader point wasn’t far off.

A lot of people in Limerick are v disappointed he's not starting he's a very underrated fb as he may not be v stylish but he's a very good player in most departments.

Cant understand how you think limerick are well behind the top 2 in munster considering we played cork in cork with 14 for the bones of an hour plus lost our no6 after 5 minutes

Cant understand how you think limerick are well behind the top 2 in munster considering we played cork in cork with 14 for the bones of an hour plus lost our no6 after 5 minutes

Tipperary came from nine points down to draw with Cork but were hopeless and couldn’t win a game. So I wouldn’t read too much into an individual game. Limerick beat the two hapless weak teams in Munster who couldn’t win a game against anybody. Limerick have won two games from four against two poor teams. When you look at the facts they have actually done very little despite some excitable types in the media talking about them as All Ireland contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Can't travel today unfortunately, does anyone know if the minor is available to watch anywhere?

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Tipperary came from nine points down to draw with Cork but were hopeless and couldn’t win a game. So I wouldn’t read too much into an individual game. Limerick beat the two hapless weak teams in Munster who couldn’t win a game against anybody. Limerick have won two games from four against two poor teams. When you look at the facts they have actually done very little despite some excitable types in the media talking about them as All Ireland contenders.

I suppose the next few hours will tell all heading off now best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I suppose the next few hours will tell all heading off now best of luck

Yeah lets hope for a better game than yesterday

• Advertisement

This is a shocking minor team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement