Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I don't know of its just that we don't have the hurlers but that 1st half performance by our minors was poor. I'm hoping it's a case of the ball just didn't run for them but the 1st touch on comparison to galway is her poor. Again we have our half forward line pushed in towards the 40. Needless frees and possession given away. A marked improvement required in the 2nd half if we are to beat galway. Give the full forward line some space. Galway good but we can score goals. Here's hoping for a big turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I'm in the county in thurles . To say limerick supporters are up for this is a huge understatement ..

Hopefully we'll do the singing after the match .

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Galway giving another one of our teams a lesson in hurling. Kilkenny are miles behind at all levels

There used to be a time when St. Kierans won, the kk minors also had a good chance of winning the All Ireland and did so numerous times. Kierans have dominated this decade, yet our minor teams have been sub standard. What's going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

mullinr2 wrote: »
    There used to be a time when St. Kierans won, the kk minors also had a good chance of winning the All Ireland and did so numerous times. Kierans have dominated this decade, yet our minor teams have been sub standard. What's going on?

The connection has been greatly exaggerated. Of St Kieran’s 21 All Ireland wins before this year only 6 coincided with a Kilkenny All Ireland minor win. St Kieran’s bring players from far and wide across the county and are up against teams all over the country with relatively local catchment areas which at least partly explains their success. At inter-county minor level the playing field is much more level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

An improvement definitely in the 2nd half but we were still outmuscled and the biggest thing for me over the two halves was our 1st touch was not good. I know these are only 16 and 17 year olds but it's the same for galway. Unfortunately today they were just a good bit better than us. Hope better fortunes await for the seniors. Is pat lyng due to start or are these just whispers along with Lennon at no. 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Aylward on the bench?

Backs are all over the shop

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Backs are all over the shop

Deegan struggling badly. Lennon not giving him much cover at all. I don't think the rest of the backs are doing too badly given the amount of good ball that the Limerick forwards have been getting the last 15 minutes.

Lyng was having a nightmare, he had to be taken off.
    Colin Fennelly is poor. He's getting a lot of good ball played into him but can't make any use of it. He can't beat the Limerick full-back. Need to get Richie and TJ on the ball more often. I hope the lads don't get too tired in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Deegan struggling badly. Lennon not giving him much cover at all. I don't think the rest of the backs are doing too badly given the amount of good ball that the Limerick forwards have been getting the last 15 minutes.

what are you on about? They are getting destroyed and lucky there is only 3 points in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

What we would do now to have a Richie power or Eoin Larkin up front.

Some of forwards just don’t have it

Poor wides from kk, shows are lack of scoring forwards we have

We have 5 top class players, about 5 good players, and then there is a massive drop of standard with the rest of the squad.

Limerick better team on the day.

That's it for Cody and Kilkenny. End of an era but great players and manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Are they not allowed enter the championship next year?

Limerick better team on the day.

yes well spotted they won by 2 points .

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Well done Limerick. Better team on the day.

For KK the players gave 100% but just not good enough on the day.

Where now? I feel Cody will stay on. But I think it’s behind the scenes that maybe need changes. Our underage teams are not good enough too.

16,17 and 18. Nothing coming through from underage. Times are very bleak for kk. A major drop in standard at underage level in this decade is to blame.
    Limerick should have had at least 3 goals. How was rob Lennon left on. Limerick forwards first to nearly every ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Eoin Murphy made it a game, will be a long time before kk win another. There spirit is unquestionable Mind you but way to many average hurlers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Better team won on the day but there were a few poor decisions made by the ref (foul on Donnelly for example) way too many wides and I can't understand why Colin was left on for so long in the second half, Donnelly made a big difference coming in but 10 minutes wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Think ye're writing off yer team far too soon. It's a bit disrespectful to Cody and those players.

They're after 2 right battles with the best team in the country, and lost a game by a small margin today.

Galway will win the all Ireland and the cats were closest to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

C__MC wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy made it a game, will be a long time before kk win another. There spirit is unquestionable Mind you but way to many average hurlers out there.

Kilkenny will never be far away, so that’s a rather silly statement.

digzy wrote: »

Galway will win the all Ireland and the cats were closest to them.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Short a few players but great spirit again. Big switch in momentum when free not given to Donnelly. McGrath is poor referee gave three frees soft frees against Pat Lyng in first half as well. Half back line and midfield giving no cover to full back line. Fair play to Limerick but can tell speakerbox that we will be back and challenging next year no fear that we are finished at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Comerman wrote:
    Better team won on the day but there were a few poor decisions made by the ref (foul on Donnelly for example) way too many wides and I can't understand why Colin was left on for so long in the second half, Donnelly made a big difference coming in but 10 minutes wasn't enough.

Agree. Ref made some very questionable decisions. It was like pushing your opponent in the back is no longer a foul. Obvious high tackles missed. Good substitutions made but all made way too late. Colin breaks my heart at times. He works so hard but fumbles the ball too much.

Short a few players but great spirit again. Big switch in momentum when free not given to Donnelly. McGrath is poor referee gave three frees soft frees against Pat Lyng in first half as well. Half back line and midfield giving no cover to full back line. Fair play to Limerick but can tell speakerbox that we will be back and challenging next year no fear that we are finished at all.

First year in a long time your team is ranked outside the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Nope, nope and nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Wides were a problem, so was the decision making the final ball was awful today, like someone said earlier is it the end of cody I think we have to look at the future rather than the past the backs are a major problem and needs addressing yet we seem to avoid it, after the goal there should have been a free we can blame the ref all we want the end of the day he didn't hit plenty of wides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Disagree totally. I give 5 years plus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement