Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I agree 100% but if our half forwards aren't winning ball we need a plan B and a plan B that has been worked on.

Saw an interesting thing on some of the teams on the OurGame youtube channel where a guy had done some analysis (I think it was Waterford) and the difference in their game under McGrath and Fanning versus Cahill. The main issue was on short puckouts the ball was being worked up to their own 65 and midfield before delivering ball into the forwards with Cahill where as under the other two the majority of ball was being delivered from inside their own 45.

We also need to be giving ball to our forwards that are in the forwards favour not 50/50 ball or even 60/40 in the defenders ball. Most ball given in by Waterford and Limerick to their inside lines are a 70 or 80 percent chance to their forwards. We also don't feed the full forward line enough why land ball in the half forward line where its all congested?

Out of curiosity what are you basing the streets ahead bit on..I'm no deegan fan but we have only seen Mullen at club level..club and county are totally different.. from what I've seen of Mullen I'd caĺ him a very tidy hurler excellent on the ball but gives away plenty frees.. I would like to see him get a run at county level but would question his attitude IF he quit in the manner that is being claimed

Mullen did play for us in the half backline in the league earlier this year I know it's hard to remember it's so long ago. I'm actually no fan of the Mullens and their ways but as hurlers they are undoubtedly talented and Darren was a definite stand out defender this year in the league and did a good job with Ballyhale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Saw an interesting thing on some of the teams on the OurGame youtube channel where a guy had done some analysis (I think it was Waterford) and the difference in their game under McGrath and Fanning versus Cahill. The main issue was on short puckouts the ball was being worked up to their own 65 and midfield before delivering ball into the forwards with Cahill where as under the other two the majority of ball was being delivered from inside their own 45.

We also need to be giving ball to our forwards that are in the forwards favour not 50/50 ball or even 60/40 in the defenders ball. Most ball given in by Waterford and Limerick to their inside lines are a 70 or 80 percent chance to their forwards. We also don't feed the full forward line enough why land ball in the half forward line where its all congested?

Again, I'd agree . The following video is probably the direction we need to be developing our game or at least have it in the bank for when plan A does not work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ka0V_Gs7y4&t=7s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Mullen did play for us in the half backline in the league earlier this year I know it's hard to remember it's so long ago. I'm actually no fan of the Mullens and their ways but as hurlers they are undoubtedly talented and Darren was a definite stand out defender this year in the league and did a good job with Ballyhale too.

I think his off the field antics played a part...

Shame if it true, cos he looks a good defender.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »

Certainly possible and I assumed that was why he didn't feature in the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Shame if it true, cos he looks a good defender.

Was there something else about the Mullens a while back aswell?

sasta le wrote: »
    Was there something else about the Mullens a while back aswell?

I don't think those things should be discussed here as they affect lads personal lives not just their hurling career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I don't think those things should be discussed here as they affect lads personal lives not just their hurling career.

Well said.

Players private lives are not open for discussion on this forum.

No as in something to do with hurling and a clash with management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I dunno for certain if darren mullen walked but I just thought he lost his place in the 26 when billy and deegan came back.
    I was always a big fan of his hurling and I would of tried to find a place for him even around midfield where we have struggled for a few years.He is very intelligent on the ball and he will hopefully have a long career with kilkenny but we have seen cody has favoured attitude before natural hurlers.
    Some very good posts about our delivery into the fowards particularly our full foward line.They were starved of possession.
    We are slowly adapting to the short game but as mentioned we are very uncomfortable doing it and I wouldnt say its practiced much but surely to god the players know when delivering ball into the fowards what kind of ball will better suit the foward.
    .Another thing alot of people giving out how easily walked in for the two goals and not a finger laid on them.Would this happen with limerick or tipp?we need a commanding no nonsense 3 and 6 and two midfielders for a start.Delaney probably will be full back but center back and midfield will be an issue.Dissapointing we havent addressed midfield despite it being a glaring problem.
    With the new year fast approaching will we see much change?probably unlikely unless it's done soon.We were in a great position in two of our 3 matches and lucky in the first one and got what we deserved the last day.

• Advertisement

No as in something to do with hurling and a clash with management

Not that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Darren Mullen. **** me. I didn't think I'd ever see so much love for him as I've seen here. He got destroyed against the Village this yesr. Gave away multiple frees to Luke Scanlon, got booked and was close to getting the line. I'm not surprised he walked away from the county panel. The same family has had issues with their own club in the recent past. His old man would've had his own issues with Cody in his own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I see Eddie has joined the coaching ticket in Cuala...

Nice few bob there for him I would think. Good on him.

I see Eddie has joined the coaching ticket in Cuala...

Nice few bob there for him I would think. Good on him.

How does he do all the coaching with being a Guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

How does he do all the coaching with being a Guard?

Think he trains incoming guards in templemore, probably would have fairly regular hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think he trains incoming guards in templemore, probably would have fairly regular hours?
    yeah that's it regular Monday to Friday hours

Handy number so,And cash under the table sweet deal

Handy number so,And cash under the table sweet deal

Its frowned upon to mention players off the field antics, but lads can come on and insinuate 'cash under the table' .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Its frowned upon to mention players off the field antics, but lads can come on and insinuate 'cash under the table' .... :rolleyes:

Wasn't it nicky brennan that once said... we did a lot of research looking for under the table payments inthe gaa.. in the end we didn't even find the table

Aren't they all paid under the table?

• Advertisement

Aren't they all paid under the table?

(not letting go)

Maybe, but my point was that the mention of a young hurler messing off the field was pulled up , but then you come in (twice) to mention illegal/under the table/ not mentioned/ expenses only payments ....

(not letting go)

Maybe, but my point was that the mention of a young hurler messing off the field was pulled up , but then you come in (twice) to mention illegal/under the table/ not mentioned/ expenses only payments ....

Not trolling just making debate

Not trolling just making debate

i didnt say you were...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Thought he was stationed in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fred Daly wrote: »

He was, but a mate of mine trained in Templemore a couple of years ago and Eddie was teaching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fred Daly wrote: »
    he was previously, think he did a stint in Thurles too, definitely a Tipp station anyway

He was on Brian Carroll's podcast earlier this year i think he started in Dublin, common for guards to start off stationed in a city as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

he was previously, think he did a stint in Thurles too, definitely a Tipp station anyway

He was on Brian Carroll's podcast earlier this year i think he started in Dublin, common for guards to start off stationed in a city as far as I know.

He was in Tallaght at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Wasn't it nicky brennan that once said... we did a lot of research looking for under the table payments inthe gaa.. in the end we didn't even find the table

The Irish are very good at this brushing a problem under the carpet, with our politicians leading the way.

Legs are being pulled here.

Saying that, it is only logical and fair that your free time spent coaching is recompensed in some way.

We don't get free admission to games so money is being made everywhere - by somebody.

There'll probably be the usual pc push back if there is any truth involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Every club that brings in a outside manager is paying between €80 and €150 per night. Depending on the negotiating skills of the people on both sides of the table. I know because i have been on both sides of the table. The high profile guys can get €150+ per night.

• Advertisement

Every club that brings in a outside manager is paying between €80 and €150 per night. Depending on the negotiating skills of the people on both sides of the table. I know because i have been on both sides of the table. The high profile guys can get €150+ per night.

How is this paid?And does it appear in club accounts s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement