Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

sasta le wrote: »
    How is this paid?And does it appear in club accounts s

Cash is king and clever accounting solves the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Usually filled as training expenses on agm balancesheet maybe bit of cash keep it looking like club didn't pay to much for trainers. Aprox €8000

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Are all clubs sorted with trainers/managers?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Are all clubs sorted with trainers/managers?

From what I’ve heard

Boro- Paraic Fanning and Tony Browne
    OLG- Andy Comerford
    Village- Seamus Dwyer
    Comer- Martin Fogarty
    Tullaroan- Liam Keoghan
    Ballycallan- Cloonan
    Bridge- Tim Dooley and Dan Shanahan
    Glenmore- Declan Wall
    Ttown- Shefflin
    Danesfort- Niall Bergin
    Ballyragget- Barry Power
    Muckalee- Ken Coogan
    Rower- Guiney brothers Wexford

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, Mick Dempsey joining the setup in Lisdowney too I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I’ve heard

OLG- Andy Comerford
    Village- Seamus Dwyer
    Comer- Martin Fogarty
    Tullaroan- Liam Keoghan
    Ballycallan- Cloonan
    Glenmore- Declan Wall
    Ttown- Shefflin
    Danesfort- Niall Bergin
    Ballyragget- Barry Power
    Muckalee- Ken Coogan

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, Mick Dempsey joining the setup in Lisdowney too I believe

Also heard Willie Maher joining the Bridge ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

I thought Eamon Phelan was the Danesfort manager

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

From what I’ve heard

OLG- Andy Comerford
    Village- Seamus Dwyer
    Comer- Martin Fogarty
    Tullaroan- Liam Keoghan
    Ballycallan- Cloonan
    Glenmore- Declan Wall
    Ttown- Shefflin
    Danesfort- Niall Bergin
    Ballyragget- Barry Power
    Muckalee- Ken Coogan

Heard Big Dan getting Big Money

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Also heard Willie Maher joining the Bridge ticket

Willie Maher coming on board aswell would be a huge statement from the Bridge.
    Of all those management set ups, I think I'd like the look of the Bridge one.
    Is Seamus Dwyer a Village man?

Are Clara and Vegas the only clubs with Nobody in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

From what I’ve heard

OLG- Andy Comerford
    Village- Seamus Dwyer
    Comer- Martin Fogarty
    Tullaroan- Liam Keoghan
    Ballycallan- Cloonan
    Glenmore- Declan Wall
    Ttown- Shefflin
    Danesfort- Niall Bergin
    Ballyragget- Barry Power
    Muckalee- Ken Coogan

Thought Tom Mullally was taking over Tullaroan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Gowran - Tom Coogan

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Any truth in the rumors that the club season could be up 1st next year, starting in February?
    Seemingly down to financial reasons, bigger crowds towards end of next year. If another lockdown happens in 1st quarter of next year it'll mess up the whole year if club goes 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

doel wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumors that the club season could be up 1st next year, starting in February?
    Seemingly down to financial reasons, bigger crowds towards end of next year. If another lockdown happens in 1st quarter of next year it'll mess up the whole year if club goes 1st

Yes croke park pushing for that get crowds back in by july.loads of issues club all Ireland shelved again college competitions. Club players year finished in July. Its financial decision not sure its best interest of playing population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

https://youtu.be/QLvLwm0uARQ

When you see it laid bare like that it's not great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

https://youtu.be/QLvLwm0uARQ

When you see it laid bare like that it's not great

Yeah and none of it is rocket science, all simple things. Like the analysis of how Waterford knew we would flood lads back to defend, out of a commitment to having a high workrate, and that this would leave someone in midfield free to take a pass and pop a score over. Surely an intercounty setup will have someone who can see this is going to happen and think about a more sensible way of defending in this situation? Basically they are using a swarm defense that worked in 2006 against Cork and hoping nobody figured out how to combat it in the 14 years since.

What's annoying though is how inconsistent we are. If you were to analyse the Leinster final in a similar way, I'm betting our deliveries were from further out much more often. Our short puck outs were still very bad in that game, mind you, but we were still less predictable. We have done this a few times where we adopt a good strategy and do well one day, then revert to stone age stuff again the next day. It's not that we haven't the players to do it, I don't think (you don't need a team of Hannons and Hayeses etc to work on simple short ball up the field), and we've seen how we can perform when needed, and it's not a lack of brains in the county, since we can also see that we can put together a gameplan when we've a mind to. But there's just no consistent commitment to that approach. That has to land at the manager's door, to be honest. No doubting his brilliance, nobody could ever question what he's achieved, but he needs to show a willingness to move with the times or he's at nothing.

Look no further than Ballyhale, and how they set up and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^
    Well said, and I totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The best of luck to the Kilkenny camogie team management this weekend.

Want to know where Kilkenny are going wrong and teams like Limerick and Galway are getting it right.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1209/1183381-limerick-now-reaping-benefits-of-long-term-development/

To be honest only for the natural talent of some of the players we have we'd be a long way off. I honestly think there has been a huge dereliction of duty on behalf of the county board to our young players over the last 10 years. That's not to say that the coaches over those teams didn't give it their all but the structure and quality of coaching, lack of full time S&C coach to over see all levels just doesn't allow our young lads to be on a level playing field with the top teams they face. We could hit a tipping point soon where our trajectory is downwards and as Offaly showed that's a slippery slope. I think it's beholden on the club's to hold the county board to account at this stage and arrest this slide into the middle of the pack. No place has a devine right to be at the top look at Cork too unless you have the right structures in place success will only be intermittent at best. We were at the head of the pack in the mid 90's setting up development squads when no one else was doing it and we got huge success from our great team with in 6-7 years or so. The issue is other teams took note and are now doing things on a much higher level and our development squads are not even being run at the right kind of level for a long time and it shows. There needs to be a big shake up and review or we are at nothing for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

On cody, in terms of results to me me looks like he's doing a good job. In terms of players kk don't look all that great to me. Reid is arguably the best player in the country, but the other forwards don't strike fear into me. And really throughout the team, it's not full of players I wish were both in Waterford. I'm not saying I think you only have one player who would get into our team or anything, but in terms of making a huge difference I'd probably only be looking at him.

And with that in mind, winning leinster this year, reaching the final last year..... They look like good results with the players available.

That piece of YouTube analysis I can't argue with. And often looking at kilkenny I can't understand how you keep getting over the line against teams. But the fact is that you do.

I will say though that I've had people say the same sort of stuff about waterford many times over the years. Including from people in Waterford. Saying that we should be greatful to our manager for the results not being worse than they are, when I'd have been of the belief that with the players we had our performances (and results) sould have been better. I'd actually have felt that was the case with Justin Mccarthy, Davy and Micheal Ryan. And obviously pauric fanning. So while I'm saying what I see from the outside, I won't judge kk or the players for wanting a change. They're a lot closer to it than I am so are better able to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Willie Maher coming on board aswell would be a huge statement from the Bridge.
    Of all those management set ups, I think I'd like the look of the Bridge one.
    Is Seamus Dwyer a Village man?

Are Clara and Vegas the only clubs with Nobody in place?

Mick Purcell and tom mullally are with Clara.Seamus dwyer is a laois man as far as I know.Willie maher is with Dan.I agree this is a big statement from the bridge but this team is neary at its peak now and after getting to the final a few years ago they have dissapointed.Alot of the bridge panel have county experience and there is potential.Rob lennon and sean Morrissey ex county enda Morrissey,jason cleere,blanchfield in around the county.Ciaran brennan,conor murphy and david blanchfield underage county.Its possible ciaran brennan and david blanchfield could be called into the senior panel.
    The u20s are out next weekend against the winners of laois/galway.What kind of team will we have?cian kenny,Conor kelly,eoin guilfoyle.I think ciaran brennan is underage.Is darragh Corcoran underage?Hopefully we get a bit of a run in this.
    On the senior setup its unlikely we will see much change in the management.Richie hogan in a recent interview is eager to stay on if he can.We will need things freshend up despite blooding alot over the last few years.Hopefully mullen will be back.Id expect a few lads to step away fogarty and Murphy could go while joey could weigh up his options.Lads like ger aylward and richie reid
    Who have being on the fringes will consider things.

Yeah and none of it is rocket science, all simple things. Like the analysis of how Waterford knew we would flood lads back to defend, out of a commitment to having a high workrate, and that this would leave someone in midfield free to take a pass and pop a score over. Surely an intercounty setup will have someone who can see this is going to happen and think about a more sensible way of defending in this situation? Basically they are using a swarm defense that worked in 2006 against Cork and hoping nobody figured out how to combat it in the 14 years since.

What's annoying though is how inconsistent we are. If you were to analyse the Leinster final in a similar way, I'm betting our deliveries were from further out much more often. Our short puck outs were still very bad in that game, mind you, but we were still less predictable. We have done this a few times where we adopt a good strategy and do well one day, then revert to stone age stuff again the next day. It's not that we haven't the players to do it, I don't think (you don't need a team of Hannons and Hayeses etc to work on simple short ball up the field), and we've seen how we can perform when needed, and it's not a lack of brains in the county, since we can also see that we can put together a gameplan when we've a mind to. But there's just no consistent commitment to that approach. That has to land at the manager's door, to be honest. No doubting his brilliance, nobody could ever question what he's achieved, but he needs to show a willingness to move with the times or he's at nothing.

Couldn't agree more and we've all heard the stories of how ruthlessly he analyses a lad to see if he still has what it takes to do it at the highest level. It's a pity he can't turn that withering eye on his own setup and compare it to the best around. If he was willing to adapt his style somewhat I would be more than happy for him to stay (not that anyone but him has a say in that) but since 2017 we have not progressed at all. The times I thought we had I asked the odd player I'd know when they moved to that style in training and they'd look at you quizzically "no we just decided to play that way" Ultimately that is what Cody is looking for the players to take control on the field but I don't think it can work against a well coached team who have a plan and a backup if that doesn't work. Anyway I've made my views clear before

• Advertisement

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The best of luck to the Kilkenny camogie team management this weekend.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058094759&page=4

Camogie thread - if anyone is interested.

The day is here !

All Ireland Final.

Player Profiles and stats.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40188972.html

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Good U20(Offaly v Dubs) match streaming live on the tg4 YouTube channel.

Hasn't quite come to life but some good hurling. perfect for the gloomy morning I just woke to. Hurling @ 7am, can't ask for more on a lockdown rainy Saturday morning. lots more in store this weekend. Up the Deise tomorrow & the Cats tonight.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

greenspurs wrote: »

Thx for that. Tough keeping up on Camogie & to a lesser extent the Joe McD, N. Rackard's etc. competitions from here in the States. Especially when championship IC is on. All else is swallowed up.

Quick question for whomever. What is the name of the Camogie version of the Fitzgibbon Cup or whatever is the highest level collegiate camogie. thx!

**Decent U20, Dubs v Offaly match streaming live now on YT right now. 1st water break right now. Starting to come alive in past few minutes

Is the Camogie final being broadcast or streamed? I'm in the states so no sky/rte/tg4. Don't know if I can purchase the stream or if it's gonna be up somewhere else. thanks

Been puzzled how Ballyhale seem to have no problem mixing short & long. Something or someone is definitely impeding style of play/tactics because as you point out, we can & have done it. Just not for a full 70

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Swamp_Cat wrote: »

Quick question for whomever. What is the name of the Camogie version of the Fitzgibbon Cup or whatever is the highest level collegiate camogie. thx!

Ashbourne Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Well done Ladies, fantastic win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BQQ

Comerman wrote: »
    Well done Ladies, great win.

Well deserved
    They were so hungry

The workrate would make Brian Cody smile and clinical when they dogged out the chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Deserved win for the Kilkenny girls. Excellent performance with huge commitment shown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement