Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Comerman wrote: »
    Well done Ladies, fantastic win.

Great win for the Camogie players. Stuck at it and fought hard. Brings an end to a losing streak of 8 All Irelands for Kilkenny teams - 3 camogie, 2 Senior Hurling, 2 Minor hurling and 1 under 21 hurling. Hopefully a sign of a change in fortunes for Kilkenny teams. Up the kittens! Tough luck on Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Comerman wrote: »
    Well done Ladies, fantastic win.

Come on the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Great match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Congrats to the Kilkenny camogie squad. Really hard workers & some nice points. Made it difficult for themselves w/not taking at least one of their goal chances. Galway didn't look as hungry, but still just a puck away.

For advocates of a heavier sliotar in hurling, is camogie shooting more to your liking in that shots over 65' are rare? Just curious, the match made me think about it. I'm unsure. For now.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Isn't it great what a new voice can achieve...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Ashbourne Cup

Thank you. ðŸ‘🼠my 'thanks' button isn't working. It must not get much coverage. I'm no expert but I've watched club & county for over a decade & the name doesn't ring a bell. I'll probably notice it now. Again, thx.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Congrats to the Kilkenny camogie squad. Really hard workers & some nice points. Made it difficult for themselves w/not taking at least one of their goal chances. Galway didn't look as hungry, but still just a puck away.

For advocates of a heavier sliotar in hurling, is camogie shooting more to your liking in that shots over 65' are rare? Just curious, the match made me think about it. I'm unsure. For now.

I’d love to see the ball go a bit heavier. Would make mid field more of a battle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Tommy shefflin not going so bad
    Intermediate club All Ireland 2017 Carrickshock
    Senior club All Ireland 19/20 Shamrocks
    Camogie 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

A great win, congratulations to our fabulous ladies. They showed huge heart and resilience when Galway rallied. A great performance from the defence and a huge game for the likes of Michelle Teehan, Claire Phelan, Meighan and Anna Farrell, Grace Walsh, Aoife Doyle, Mary O'Connell, and Katie Nolan. It's probably not fair to leave any of them out
    but Galway marshalled some of our bigger names really well. Denise Gaule really came into the game in the second half when she started dropping a bit deeper. We struggled with long ball into the full forward line as Galway are so strong back there but we caused them huge trouble when we ran at them.
    We probably could have had a couple more goals and Denise hit a few uncharacteristic wides from frees.

A great job by Dowling, Shefflin, Larkin and the rest of the setup

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bamayang wrote: »
    I’d love to see the ball go a bit heavier. Would make mid field more of a battle ground.

I'm fine with the weight now, because a heavier ball will strongly encourage packing the defence. If the opposition can't score from out the field there's no disincentive to crowding inside the 45, and you get the sweeper on steroids for nearly all the teams in the mccarthy cup. The lighter ball keeps teams some way honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

I'm fine with the weight now, because a heavier ball will strongly encourage packing the defence. If the opposition can't score from out the field there's no disincentive to crowding inside the 45, and you get the sweeper on steroids for nearly all the teams in the mccarthy cup. The lighter ball keeps teams some way honest.

Not sure about that. A lot of the talk now about beating sweepers is by shooting more scores from mid field and half back line. Wat and Lim two teams who do this very well. A heavier ball removes this option and means you have to have more scoring bodies closer to oppositions posts. Surely this limits the bodies you can have in defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Well done to Camogie team and mentors
    Great win
    I thought penno was a little soft but great nerves to stitch it
    Understandable nerves in the last few mins when a few balls were fumbled or mis-hit but it would have been a travesty (and a tragedy) if Galway had nicked it

The emotion of the win was a joy to witness

I felt all year that a championship win this year (in any age group or code) with no crowd would not be the same, but happy to be proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

So Kilkenny v Wexford next Sunday in Wexford in the minor semi final.
    Offaly and Westmeath in the other semi after Westmeath beat Dublin today.

Kilkenny v Galway in portlaoise next Friday in the U20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Not sure about the minors but expect the U20s to get a bit of a trimming

The athleticism of this Limerick team compared to us is outrageous. I know we beat them last year but they would've murdered us if we got here.

Not sure about the minors but expect the U20s to get a bit of a trimming

The athleticism of this Limerick team compared to us is outrageous. I know we beat them last year but they would've murdered us if we got here.

I agree Galway will be the team to beat in U20 but why do you think we will be hammered?

Limerick were awesome but the truth is we made Waterford look great
    Not going to start calling out Waterford players but they have 6-7 very average players

Cahill deserves immense credit but a bit like Wexford last year, one senses they haven't room for improvement

What happened to us in 2nd half v a very average team (Dublin) and a moderate one (Waterford) cannot be swept away as just "that's hurling for ya"
    Even moderate teams in 2nd halves are now figuring us out, finding the space, finding the weaknesses and exploiting them while our sideline does little or nothing

I had a look at the minor team that lost to Galway in 2018 and bar a handful it was incredibly weak and considering our inability over the last decade to improve minors into U21/20 Id be very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Even moderate teams in 2nd halves are now figuring us out, finding the space, finding the weaknesses and exploiting them while our sideline does little or nothing

You're talking absolute guff if the implication is that Kilkenny is something above moderate if Waterford are moderate whatever that is. You need a reality check. The fact is that there is a bunch of teams all at a very similar standard and Kilkenny is there with them. Teams with some very good players and also some average ones,
    Kilkenny is no different. Limerick finally clicked today and are considerably ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I had a look at the minor team that lost to Galway in 2018 and bar a handful it was incredibly weak and considering our inability over the last decade to improve minors into U21/20 Id be very worried.

2018 team would have been under 17, and now only 19 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

redlead wrote: »
    You're talking absolute guff if the implication is that Kilkenny is something above moderate if Waterford are moderate whatever that is. You need a reality check. The fact is that there is a bunch of teams all at a very similar standard and Kilkenny is there with them. Teams with some very good players and also some average ones,
    Kilkenny is no different. Limerick finally clicked today and are considerably ahead of the rest.

Galway were very close to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

This isn’t the same team that played at minor level in 2018. Pretty sure this is the age group that their year at minor level was skipped when it changed to u17. Likes of eoin Cody and David blanchfield are up to the age so they don’t have a bad team at all. Although I would agree that Galway will be favourites.

• Advertisement

Good points well made. My apologies.

I thought that team was a very skilful bunch who beat both Munster finalists
    Unlike the 2019 team who were beaten by a far superior and exceptional Galway team, I thought KK 2018 minors blew a great chance when well on top of Galway in opening 15 mins
    And while I agree on the worries on KK not kicking on in recent years from minor, it also applies to Galway minor teams too

Also agree we are a bit in dark, made more so because this isn't the 2018 minors, this is the nothing year
    ie
    Neither 2018 minors (although expect both teams to have plenty of those teams onboard) or the 2017 minors (mostly overage due to switch to U20)
    I'd be more optimistic but agree it's very hard to tell due to all factors and 2020

redlead wrote: »

Correct
    That's what I said
    We made Waterford's "moderate" players look great
    Limerick brought harsh reality back and showed they were moderate

Kilkenny leaked almost as much to Dublin in a similar 2nd half collapse but no one starrted bigging up Dublin to be a bunch of wonder hurlers

We all got carried away with the verve and swagger of Waterford's 2nd half versus Kilkenny
    But it was misleading, they were never as good as we made them look

Waterford had both starting players and subs today who cannot even get starting places on Fitzgibbon Cup teams

That's not to suggest Waterford don't have some serious players, they do.
    It's just that very like Wexford, a tail of average players (particularly in forwards) will usually only get you so far

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Alonzo Moseley if you think Waterford are moderate with 6/7 very average hurlers ......I hope your not implying we are better than them .....Paddy Deegan , Walter Walsh , Conor Fogarty , Colin Fennelly , Billy Ryan , Ger Aylward , Alan Murphy , Liam Blanchfield .....all very very average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Kkman00 wrote: »
    This isn’t the same team that played at minor level in 2018. Pretty sure this is the age group that their year at minor level was skipped when it changed to u17. Likes of eoin Cody and David blanchfield are up to the age so they don’t have a bad team at all. Although I would agree that Galway will be favourites.

Is eoin cody and david blanchfield underage?We will be under pressure for sure and that match will bring galway on.What kind of team will we have?who will be the better known players for us?

davidx40 wrote: »
    Alonzo Moseley if you think Waterford are moderate with 6/7 very average hurlers ......I hope your not implying we are better than them .....Paddy Deegan , Walter Walsh , Conor Fogarty , Colin Fennelly , Billy Ryan , Ger Aylward , Alan Murphy , Liam Blanchfield .....all very very average

I'm not sure where you got even an inference from my post that I don't accept Kilkenny have a number of very average players on team/squad

How can anyone infer I am bigging Kilkenny up by saying a team that ploughed 2-17 into them in just one half of hurling are themselves a fairly average team?

If pushed I would say we have a greater spread of attacking talent than Waterford but Waterford have a better overall set up and if we met again in the morning, I wouldn't be confident of beating them

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

brookville wrote: »
    Is eoin cody and david blanchfield underage?We will be under pressure for sure and that match will bring galway on.What kind of team will we have?who will be the better known players for us?

Yep both underage,
    A good Kilkenny team
    Dean Mason, Daire Corcoran, David Blanchfield, Conor Heary, Eoin O Shea, Cian Kenny, Guilfoyle, Eoin Cody, Shane Staunton, Luke Hogan, Conor Murphy, James Brennan and Liam Moore would all have had a decent years at senior this year

Add to that a right mix of good intermediate and a few good junior players like Stephen Donnelly from Thomastown and Martin O Neill from Mooncoin and it’s a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Yep both underage,
    A good Kilkenny team
    Dean Mason, Daire Corcoran, David Blanchfield, Conor Heary, Eoin O Shea, Cian Kenny, Guilfoyle, Eoin Cody, Shane Staunton, Luke Hogan, Conor Murphy, James Brennan and Liam Moore would all have had a decent years at senior this year

Add to that a right mix of good intermediate and a few good junior players like Stephen Donnelly from Thomastown and Martin O Neill from Mooncoin and it’s a good team.

Jesus be careful thats to positive for lads around here

Jesus be careful thats to positive for lads around here

You can add Ciaran Brennan and Conor Kelly to that list too.
    For me, there is too much chat about how we just aren't producing high-quality players
    We are
    Eoin Cody likely to become the 2nd Kilkenny player in two years to be named YHOTY.
    John Donnelly has been outstanding for two years solid and is only 22
    That is three outstanding IC forwards, all under 22
    Can you imagine if Liam Cahill was told he could have Mullen, Donnelly and Cody next year?
    He'd be ecstatic

For me also, saying we aren't producing enough good players is actually compounding the main issue of a change of set up at top
    There is a view that we should be thankful that we are still so competitive (final last year, semis this year) with so little coming through, so it must be down to us having shrewd set up to even get us that far.

I am not suggesting a new management team would deliver us an AI next year.
    But I feel if there isn't new management set up for 2021, we will see further recurrences of the 2nd half scourings we took this year from Waterford and Dublin

But the very short break probably means we will see no change

Hard Luck to Waterford, it's bloody tough.
    They can be proud of their year but their bitter disappointment tonight will not be eased by talk of three-year plans etc
    Apart from maybe Pauric Mahony, there is no obvious route for the team to be strengthened to bridge the gap we saw today.
    I feel they are in very much the same boat as Wexford but maybe a bit more pace and verve.
    They would need an awful lot to go right for them to win an AI (and like everyone else, would need Limerick to come off the boil slightly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

You can add Ciaran Brennan and Conor Kelly to that list too.
    For me, there is too much chat about how we just aren't producing high-quality players
    We are
    Eoin Cody likely to become the 2nd Kilkenny player in two years to be named YHOTY.
    John Donnelly has been outstanding for two years solid and is only 22
    That is three outstanding IC forwards, all under 22
    Can you imagine if Liam Cahill was told he could have Mullen, Donnelly and Cody next year?
    He'd be ecstatic

For me also, saying we aren't producing enough good players is actually compounding the main issue of a change of set up at top
    There is a view that we should be thankful that we are still so competitive (final last year, semis this year) with so little coming through, so it must be down to us having shrewd set up to even get us that far.

I am not suggesting a new management team would deliver us an AI next year.
    But I feel if there isn't new management set up for 2021, we will see further recurrences of the 2nd half scourings we took this year from Waterford and Dublin

But the very short break probably means we will see no change

I think we are producing quality players but our biggest problem is our strength and conditioning is not at the level it needs to be at. As a consequence it is taking a lot longer for the younger players to get to intercounty level. Lot of nice hurlers which is lovely but they need the strength to be able to win and hold ball. That limerick team are filled with athletes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement