Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

We have seen Dublin in the football be so dominant but they have been able to blend their teams over time and put new blood in there who have no All Irelands. They have been able to replace players like Alan & Bernard Brogan, Philly McMahon, Diarmuid Connolly, Paul Flynn, McCaffrey, O Carroll. Even 2 of their best current players Mannion and Howard are on the outside looking in and new players like McDaid and Bugler are taking their places. Dublin are so dominant because they can bring a freshness to it every year just like Brian Cody did. If there was any slacking off which there is inevitably in any successful side your replacement will be found post haste. Limericks ability to do likewise will define how they go forward. And their ability to deal with being festooned with garlands from public and pundits alike. Cody could sense this a mile away and no matter what happened in any given year changes were made no matter how big the name. Kiely will have to plot a fine line between loyalty and ruthlessness like Cody did to get similar results assuming the underage talent is there to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

tibruit wrote: »
    I would argue that it is in the second half that match fitness really begins to show. In 1998, KK comfortably beat Offaly in the Leinster final. Offaly went through the qualifiers and had an epic 3 game semi against Clare. They then blew us away in the last ten minutes of the final. Mayo got to the football final a few years ago playing something like ten weekends in a row. Extra games are a bonus not a negative.

I fully accept that KK had an advantage over Limerick last year. Historically the Munster champions have performed poorly in semi finals against a qualifier. The lay off for provincial champions is a handicap. We had a defensive meltdown against Cork, similar to those we`ve seen this year. But it came in the first half and we got our act together in the second half and we were excellent against Limerick afterwards. A number of contributors here continually talk us down. Some of the negativity last year before the quarter and semi was ridiculous. It`s going on again at the moment about the U20s. They`re beaten before they tog out.

I think Limerick have been the best team for the past three years. Tipp were the luckiest team to ever win an All Ireland last year. After being hammered in the Munster final, their path to the title was Laois, Wexford and 14 man KK. Tipp have done little to uphold the form this year and Wexford looked like a busted flush. We`ve been hit and miss but we are Leinster champs and got to the last four. People can point out periods of a game when we were poor but the scoreboard doesn`t usually lie at the end.

You can only ever really evaluate a year in isolation. Wexford looked a busted flush this year but you could argue they were severely undercooked and their county championship was run off like a blitz. Last year they could have quite easily won the All Ireland if they managed the extra man better and Eanna Martin didn't drop balls down on top of the Mahers. They drew with Galway in Salthill in Championship, drew with ye in Wexford Park and they were brilliant in Leinster final. They may have been caught in the same way Limerick were caught in the other semi final. The best team always wins the All Ireland in a given year and last year it was Tipp. If Richie Hogan stays on I still think we win the game as the tide was slowly turning after an early Kilkenny onslaught. Winter hurling has never been Tipps forte. McGraths were wrecked after getting to both football and hurling county finals and Padraic Maher should not have been playing injured as should Bonner Maher. Same could be said for Bubbles who had achillies tendon surgery. Most of these players were at peak of their powers the year before. If Cathal Barrett doesn't get sent off I would be fairly confident we would have seen off Galway too. Anyway
    I'm sure they will want to prove a few doubters wrong next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Yep both underage,
    A good Kilkenny team
    Dean Mason, Daire Corcoran, David Blanchfield, Conor Heary, Eoin O Shea, Cian Kenny, Guilfoyle, Eoin Cody, Shane Staunton, Luke Hogan, Conor Murphy, James Brennan and Liam Moore would all have had a decent years at senior this year

Add to that a right mix of good intermediate and a few good junior players like Stephen Donnelly from Thomastown and Martin O Neill from Mooncoin and it’s a good team.

Are Eoin O'Shea and James Brennan under 20? I stand to be corrected on this and i hope i am wrong because we could certainly do with them but i think they are overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Are Eoin O'Shea and James Brennan under 20? I stand to be corrected on this and i hope i am wrong because we could certainly do with them but i think they are overage.

James is on the panel for Friday afik.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    We have seen Dublin in the football be so dominant but they have been able to blend their teams over time and put new blood in there who have no All Irelands. They have been able to replace players like Alan & Bernard Brogan, Philly McMahon, Diarmuid Connolly, Paul Flynn, McCaffrey, O Carroll. Even 2 of their best current players Mannion and Howard are on the outside looking in and new players like McDaid and Bugler are taking their places. Dublin are so dominant because they can bring a freshness to it every year just like Brian Cody did. If there was any slacking off which there is inevitably in any successful side your replacement will be found post haste. Limericks ability to do likewise will define how they go forward. And their ability to deal with being festooned with garlands from public and pundits alike. Cody could sense this a mile away and no matter what happened in any given year changes were made no matter how big the name. Kiely will have to plot a fine line between loyalty and ruthlessness like Cody did to get similar results assuming the underage talent is there to back it up.

If limerick continue to give up goal chances like the did on Sunday (8) better forwards will take advantage .we were giving up those chances in 09 and got over the line with a motm display by Ryan. Following year they were scored and we got beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Eoin O'Shea is overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

For what it’s worth here are my thoughts on beating Limerick. Mark zonally in defence especially when we have the ball. Bulk up so that they don’t turn us over and then find a man in space. In the case of turnover mark zonally to reduce space. But crucially, do it before we lose the ball. To bulk up, look no further than what TJ has done in the last few years. The only man who can win a ball in the air consistently. I know he’s got more than that but it has added to his game and we have other skilful hurlers who can do the same. Also, stand someone on the right hand touchline to stop Cian Lynch surging forward.
    Simples 😀. Can someone have a word with Brian to implement my game plan. 🀙
    But seriously, we need someone to improve our cardio as we seem to be fading in the second half.
    Happy Xmas to all on here. Enjoying the posts of all Kilkenny hurling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

For what it’s worth here are my thoughts on beating Limerick. Mark zonally in defence especially when we have the ball. Bulk up so that they don’t turn us over and then find a man in space. In the case of turnover mark zonally to reduce space. But crucially, do it before we lose the ball. To bulk up, look no further than what TJ has done in the last few years. The only man who can win a ball in the air consistently. I know he’s got more than that but it has added to his game and we have other skilful hurlers who can do the same. Also, stand someone on the right hand touchline to stop Cian Lynch surging forward.
    Simples 😀. Can someone have a word with Brian to implement my game plan. 🀙
    But seriously, we need someone to improve our cardio as we seem to be fading in the second half.
    Happy Xmas to all on here. Enjoying the posts of all Kilkenny hurling fans.

U20 panel
    Mason (Ballyhale Shamrocks), Eoin Cody (Ballyhale Shamrocks), Darragh Corcoran (Ballyhale Shamrocks), David Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge), Conor Murphy (Bennettsbridge), Ciaran Brennan (Bennettsbridge), Jake O'Dwyer (Carrickshock), Shane Staunton (Clara), Martin O'Connell (Clara). Liam Moore (Dicksboro), Mark Nolan (Dicksboro), Darragh O'Keeffe (Dunnamaggin), James Brennan Erin's Own), Conor Drennan (Galmoy), Killian Egan (Graigue-Ballycallan). Eoin Guilfoyle (James Stephens). Cian Kenny (James Stephens), Sean Minogue (James Stephens), David O'Carroll (Lisdowney). Aidan Tallis (Lisdowney). Martin O'Neill (Mooncoin), Killian Hogan (Mooncoin), Sean Gannon (Mooncoin), Ned Kirwan (Thomastown), Conor Heary (O'Loughlin Gaels), Luke Hogan (O'Loughlin Gaels), Conor Kelly (O'Loughlin Gaels), Oisin Murphy (O'Loughlin Gaels), Darragh Maher (St Lachtain's), Jack Morrissey (St Patrick's), Stephen Donnelly (Thomastown), Eoghan O'Neill ed (Carrickshock), Eoin Cahill (Conahy Shamrocks), Cian Kinsella (Piltown), Ian Byrne (Glenmore), Padraic Boylan (Dicksboro), Barry Lawlor

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Comerman wrote: »
    U20 panel
    Mason (Ballyhale Shamrocks), Eoin Cody (Ballyhale Shamrocks), Darragh Corcoran (Ballyhale Shamrocks), David Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge), Conor Murphy (Bennettsbridge), Ciaran Brennan (Bennettsbridge), Jake O'Dwyer (Carrickshock), Shane Staunton (Clara), Martin O'Connell (Clara). Liam Moore (Dicksboro), Mark Nolan (Dicksboro), Darragh O'Keeffe (Dunnamaggin), James Brennan Erin's Own), Conor Drennan (Galmoy), Killian Egan (Graigue-Ballycallan). Eoin Guilfoyle (James Stephens). Cian Kenny (James Stephens), Sean Minogue (James Stephens), David O'Carroll (Lisdowney). Aidan Tallis (Lisdowney). Martin O'Neill (Mooncoin), Killian Hogan (Mooncoin), Sean Gannon (Mooncoin), Ned Kirwan (Thomastown), Conor Heary (O'Loughlin Gaels), Luke Hogan (O'Loughlin Gaels), Conor Kelly (O'Loughlin Gaels), Oisin Murphy (O'Loughlin Gaels), Darragh Maher (St Lachtain's), Jack Morrissey (St Patrick's), Stephen Donnelly (Thomastown), Eoghan O'Neill ed (Carrickshock), Eoin Cahill (Conahy Shamrocks), Cian Kinsella (Piltown), Ian Byrne (Glenmore), Padraic Boylan (Dicksboro), Barry Lawlor

I’d expect a few bolters in the team Friday night,
    I believe a few of the less known names are flying it in training. I reckon the management team with Lyng & Barry would go with that over reputation.

I’d reckon a work man like midfield with Cody and a few others offering the flair in the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I’d expect a few bolters in the team Friday night,
    I believe a few of the less known names are flying it in training. I reckon the management team with Lyng & Barry would go with that over reputation.

I’d reckon a work man like midfield with Cody and a few others offering the flair in the forwards.

What bolters do you expect?some very good lads on this panel so I'm hopeful they will be ready.Sucess at this level is arguably more important than senior.We see how limerick is backboned by underage success.Our seniors need an injection of pace especially around mid field and half back line so hopefully blanchfield,Corcoran and kenny and a few more put up their hand friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I saw o Neil from carrickshock playing during the year looks very quick
    And likes a goal.and guili and kenny all pacey .looking forward to seeing starting 15

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Team out tonight?

Comerman wrote: »
    U20 panel

Obviously the injury Mikey Butler picked up at the end of the county semi was serious but is Padraig Dempsey also injured? Be very surprised if he wasn't making a panel of 35 odd.

I saw o Neil from carrickshock playing during the year looks very quick
    And likes a goal.and guili and kenny all pacey .looking forward to seeing starting 15

Heard about this O'Neil chap though have never seen him hurl but to describe him as a bolter would be an understatement. He is only 18 so would have been eligible for minor last year but not only could he not make a minor panel of 30+ lads he also wasn't involved in the Celtic Challenge which would put him at best in the minor 4th team last year. Now maybe it was a case that he wasn't bothered with the Celtic Challenge but either way it is quite remarkable progress to be part of the Under 20 panel a year later 2 years out of your age grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Heard about this O'Neil chap though have never seen him hurl but to describe him as a bolter would be an understatement. He is only 18 so would have been eligible for minor last year but not only could he not make a minor panel of 30+ lads he also wasn't involved in the Celtic Challenge which would put him at best in the minor 4th team last year. Now maybe it was a case that he wasn't bothered with the Celtic Challenge but either way it is quite remarkable progress to be part of the Under 20 panel a year later 2 years out of your age grade.

Oisin Knox had a falling out with management after they dropped him over any player from management clubs. They asked him back in but he declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I’d expect Martin O’Neill from Mooncoin, Martin O Connell from Clara, Eoin Cahill from Conahy and Ian Byrne from Glenmore all to be in the mix based I had on a conversation with a parent of a player involved, but that comes with an obvious health warning that the parents aren’t at training etc they are just hearing back aswell so who knows.

A few lads with fairly good reputations/pedigree from senior club and minor to miss out.

I’d expect Martin O’Neill from Mooncoin, Martin O Connell from Clara, Eoin Cahill from Conahy and Ian Byrne from Glenmore all to be in the mix based I had on a conversation with a parent of a player involved, but that comes with an obvious health warning that the parents aren’t at training etc they are just hearing back aswell so who knows.

A few lads with fairly good reputations/pedigree from senior club and minor to miss out.

Ian Byrne? Really? He was on and off the minor team last year, though he did start the All Ireland final but was taken off. Haven't seen him hurl this year with the club but would be very surprised if he has made that much progress.

Ian Byrne? Really? He was on and off the minor team last year, though he did start the All Ireland final but was taken off. Haven't seen him hurl this year with the club but would be very surprised if he has made that much progress.

There are suggestions that some guys are showing up very well in training. He may be one of them. More luck to him and any others who are in a similar position. More importantly, that they show the same form on match day. Or else they'll hear all about it on here!!!

Grats wrote: »
    There are suggestions that some guys are showing up very well in training. He may be one of them. More luck to him and any others who are in a similar position. More importantly, that they show the same form on match day. Or else they'll hear all about it on here!!!

I think we are really going to be up against it tomorrow night, though it wasn't much of a contest Galway will have benefited from the game last week against Laois. I will be surprised but obviously very delighted if we get through. It would be fantastic to have matches involving both of our underage teams to look forward to in the new year, i would be more confident about the minors.

• Advertisement

I think we are really going to be up against it tomorrow night, though it wasn't much of a contest Galway will have benefited from the game last week against Laois. I will be surprised but obviously very delighted if we get through. It would be fantastic to have matches involving both of our underage teams to look forward to in the new year, i would be more confident about the minors.

We are most definitely up against it with Galway having won the last three minor finals. Fingers crossed for a big performance. With Lyng, Rice and Peter Barry managing them, they should be well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Galway U20
    D Mason
    D O'Keeffe, D Corcoran, S Staunton
    C Murphy D Blanchfield M O'Neill
    C Kenny K Egan
    M O'Connell E Cody C Heary
    I Byrne S Donnelly E Guilfoyle
    Subs
    A Tallis
    J Brennan
    S Gannon
    E Cahill
    C Kelly
    C Brennan
    J Morrissey
    C Kinsella
    E O Neill

Your inside info is pretty spot on!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Some big calls leaving off Ciaran Brennan, James Brennan and Conor Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

Is Liam Moore injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The best of luck to our under 20, minors this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Jack Morrissey would be another player you would think would make it.

Match is on TG4 live tonight

Match is on TG4 live tonight

And the Minor is to be streamed on Sunday

• Advertisement

Kil v Wex Minor
    B Manogue
    M Donnelly N Rowe Z Bay Hammond
    B Reid L Lacey C Beirne
    E o Brien K Doyle