Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kil v Wex Minor
    B Manogue
    M Donnelly N Rowe Z Bay Hammond
    B Reid L Lacey C Beirne
    E o Brien K Doyle
    B Drennan T Clifford D Walsh
    H Shine G Dunne J Fitzpatrick
    Subs
    O Kelly
    P Lennon
    P Langton
    T Dunne
    K Carey
    A O'Connor
    N Dempsey
    B Wheeler
    D Glennon

Must be a strong team. Carey isn't starting. Some player. Thought Fitzpatrick was more of a back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

HT Gal 0-11 KK 0-8
    E Cody will be kicking himself he didn't put away either goal chance the second should have been buried. Leaving the 2 upfront with the ball going in wasn't working until Cody went in there at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Tight enough game first half. The forwards need to compete better for the ball. Would expect to see some changes there for the second half. Cody could/should have had a goal.

Jeffrey Lynskey is some clown. Non stop verbals and jumping onto the pitch with drool frothing from the mouth. Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Tight enough game first half. The forwards need to compete better for the ball. Would expect to see some changes there for the second half. Cody could/should have had a goal.

Jeffrey Lynskey is some clown. Non stop verbals and jumping onto the pitch with drool frothing from the mouth. Not a good look.

Tis rare someone comes across as a bigger wanker than Davy at his worst on the line and this lad does it every day.

This other prick not leaving the sideline. Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Has the lad who got the red not left the line yet?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Has the lad who got the red not left the line yet?!?

Standing behind Lynsky

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

God this is awful constipated stuff from kk

This is not great.

Some of the fouling is brainless

Are we playing any forwards or....?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is there some common reason every kk team fall apart after 45 minutes? There fitness seems brutal

• Advertisement

What is going on in these development squads?

We are actually making lads worse.

Our hurling has gone so bad. We are in a desperate state. There's no structure to our play or any players with flair. Very few players from this team will make any difference to the seniors.

bamayang wrote: »
    Is there some common reason every kk team fall apart after 45 minutes? There fitness seems brutal

It has a little to do with fitness and a lot to do with not being very good.

You can dress it any way you want but the constant fouling, the loss of shape, the inability to deliver ball to the forwards, the inability of the forwards to win the ball is nothing to do with fitness - it's ability and brains.

The constant fouling is very, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Shefflin and Eddie might back away from being rumoured for the senior job when they see the lack of talent coming through. No disrespect to players for effort, but This is a very weak team.

Did I hear him right saying that since the 6th minute nobody other than Guilfoyle has scored for Kilkenny?

And how much of that was from frees?

I'm pure depressed watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Absolute terrible Team.Fullback line taken to cleaners.
    Apart from Heary,Guilfoyle and Kenny nothing to come up to Senior panel.
    No change of tactics even though 4 Galway points in first half came from us trying to play short out from our puck out.
    Shameful performance.

3 scorers

1-3 from play

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Got Eoin Cody on little ball. If you’ve a senior player at that level you must give him ball

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

The fouling was really bad. You have to wonder about the coaching regarding that aspect of their play. The team looked better with James Brennan and Morrissey in it. Cody had very little impact and is a player with a lot to prove. Guilfoyle was the only real threat up front.

You have to fear for our prospects of ever realistically winning another AI at this stage. We seem to be behind in every area and look to be facing a perfect storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Only 3 scorers says a lot. No discipline in the tackle, no movement or support running and agricultural ball into the forwards. I watched the 2002 final v Clare the other night and it seems we are still trying to play that type of hurling. When you see the style of game that the Shsmrocks play in the club championship and compare it to a county team playing like that it's very frustrating. We are behind the top teams in terms of tactics, coaching ( is there any going on ) and strength and conditioning and unless we realise that there may be a long barren period ahead. Hurling has moved on and I think Kilkenny needs to move with it.

3 scorers

1-3 from play

Pathetic

We are not great from open play at senior level either. It's been 12 years since we won u21/20 All Ireland. I'm afraid we will be waiting that long at Senior too.
    SURELY ALARM BELLS ARE RINGING AT COUNTY BROAD LEVEL

What is going on in these development squads?

We are actually making lads worse.

This seems to genuinely be the case. Are they ever questioned?

The convention was a few weeks ago and the report makes out everything is great

http://kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2991

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Very disappointing for the U20s tonight for sure but c'mon, "shameful", "pathetic", etc is not being very fair to these youngsters. Yes, the 2nd half totally went away from us after a promising start. Up to the goal we seemed to have far better goal threat but from there on everything went wrong. Attempts at a passing game kept breaking down, long puck outs just didn't work, we kept losing the scraps for dirty ball and for a finish just too many fouls. A pity, from a winning position early 2nd half with that gale blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

You have to fear for our prospects of ever realistically winning another AI at this stage. We seem to be behind in every area and look to be facing a perfect storm.

A bit over the top, no?

I didn't see the game but isn't this supposed to be an exceptional Galway side?

Ever winning one again is an overreaction to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Second half was like watching the senior team, no plan, no energy and Puck it long and see what happens. That by the way is no reflection on the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Ever winning one again is an overreaction to be fair

Definitely an overreaction but you would have to wonder what coaching is going on at all levels. I know Kilkenny dont do tactics has been a controversial phrase but when you watch the match today you would have to ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Very disappointing for the U20s tonight for sure but c'mon, "shameful", "pathetic", etc is not being very fair to these youngsters.

My impression from reading this is that people aren't aiming their criticism at the youngsters but at the CB, and the structures that are currently failing those youngsters. They are putting their lives into it but are they getting the best possible systems?

[That's just a remark on the replies I've read here by the way, for whatever reason Gaago aren't showing u20 matches this year so I didn't get to see it.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

As I said here after the Waterford game the county board have a huge amount to answer for and I believe they have fallen a sleep pissed at the wheel and are driving us straight into the ditch. I don't see us getting out of it until they are taken out of the car and a sober crew get on board and realise this is serious. I don't think we can say we don't have the players because if you see an lot of these young lads for their clubs their well able to hurl. I'd be some what forgiving to the management team as it's been a very hard year to come on board and try get the lads together for sessions but they are not blameless in this.

I think the major difference and I've been beating this drum for a while now is the lack of a S&C expert fully qualified all the letters after his name etc. We need that person to be full time and to run the program for all intercounty hurlers from whatever age they are called to a Kilkenny team. Galway have Lukasz Kirszenstein won and AI with Tipp 2016 and Gal 2017 he has been working with all levels of Galway underage and senior for the last 4 years and I think it showed in that second half. Galway lads were popping up all over the place making runs off the ball that would have killed the Kilkenny lads for a few minutes after. They were physically stronger in most areas too. At the end of the game you could see the difference in the upper body and chest size of the Kilkenny and Galway lads it was like boys and men. If you go out and get battered everytime you go near the ball and your man is running all over the place and covering you, you're head would go and the body quickly follows. As I've said before we're sending our lads out to an uneven playing field imagine your playing a game with a big slope on it and you have to run up hill all day and the other team get to run downhill and the big problem is you don't switch sides at half time.

We don't need to win underage to win at senior but it surely helps. We won't win at senior either though as long as we play brain dead hurling as soon as the pressure comes on and a top team will have you under pressure all day.

If clubs don't start seeing the whole thing is rotten then I fear for the future. Clubs need to send stronger delegates to the convention and put forward progressive people to the top positions without change we're in for a torrid time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement