Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

tibruit wrote: »
    It`s easy expect. A bit harder to deliver though. We beat two of those three the last time we played them in the championship.

Exactly why I don't buy into the argument that our players aren't good enough. We are still good enough to beat top teams on a given day but in order to win an All Ireland we probably need to modernise our preparations and style of play. I dont think we need the 30 person backroom teams like Limerick and Dublin but if you sort through the quantity there is real quality. Limerick probably have the best hurling coach, the best sports psychologist and the best S & C in the country. Unfortunately standing still will just enable the gaps to get bigger. Small incremental increases in these 3 key areas at all levels should be more than enough to keep us competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Interested in how this minor team performs. The raw talent level for the 2021 team in particular is incredibly high in my opinion so let's see what this team can produce although I'll qualify it by reiterating that I think the move to U17 and U20 has been a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Limerick probably have the best hurling coach, the best sports psychologist and the best S & C in the country.

This year.

Every year the media has new darlings, depending on who wins. Last year it was Cairbre Ó Cairealláin, before that it was Lukasz Kirszenstein, and before that Mick Dempsey.
    People get het up about these things because they want to believe there are straightforward answers and secrets. But it's all about the mixture of timing and, well, the players. S &C is important, but there are far more important elements in the mix.

Kilkenny just came through one of the most successful runs in hurling history. There will come a drop in the graph. It has to come as sure as winter. And I would venture to suggest, that when Cody goes, no matter who comes in, the pressure and gap left will be too much for a while. But Kilkenny won't be far away either because they have tradition, belief, and history on their side.

That Kilkenny would not be to the forefront of S & C at all grades and have it in fine fettle, I find hard to believe. I simply do not believe it.

That the likes of Cody, Carey, and Lyng would not have some of the best in place I find hard to believe. That it's county board wouldn't have, I find hard to believe.

I think ye're moving the same chairs around a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

There’s a Carey from young Ireland’s on minor panel, any relation of DJ?

benji79 wrote: »
    There’s a Carey from young Ireland’s on minor panel, any relation of DJ?

Martins son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Wexford well on top in minor.

Faster and sharper all over the pitch.

12 to 6 at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Was some turn around in that game there. Wind strong I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

benji79 wrote: »
    Was some turn around in that game there. Wind strong I’d say

Kk went 5 points to 1 up, then Wexford got going and kk fell apart. Some of the same players from last year that fell apart in the minor final against Galway, repeating it here again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The wind is strong but the lack of running off the shoulder when trying to work the ball out of defence is terrible to see. Why go short if they're not executing it properly. Then the delivery forward is just torrid and giving the forwards little chance. Wexford playing well and putting plenty of pressure on our lads but that's because we're putting ourselves in bad positions time after time. I hope they can do more with that wind in the second half but that first half wouldn't fill ya with confidence. I know there are some very good Kilkenny lads on that team but the way their playing isn't allowing them to show what they have.

The wind is strong but the lack of running off the shoulder when trying to work the ball out of defence is terrible to see. Why go short if they're not executing it properly. Then the delivery forward is just torrid and giving the forwards little chance. Wexford playing well and putting plenty of pressure on our lads but that's because we're putting ourselves in bad positions time after time. I hope they can do more with that wind in the second half but that first half wouldn't fill ya with confidence. I know there are some very good Kilkenny lads on that team but the way their playing isn't allowing them to show what they have.

It’s on tg4, YouTube, online..

• Advertisement

They're 16/17. Wind is a massive factor at that age.

Seemed to be no plan on what to do once the corner back has the ball from the short puck out other than run and hope it works out. No move from midfield or centre back towards the ball go take the second pass.

Expect them to win with the wind

They're 16/17. Wind is a massive factor at that age.

Seemed to be no plan on what to do once the corner back has the ball from the short puck out other than run and hope it works out. No move from midfield or centre back towards the ball go take the second pass.

Expect them to win with the wind

The wind wasn’t the reason for the poor performance in the first half.

mercury16 wrote: »
    It’s on tg4, YouTube, online..

I know I'm watching it

The wind wasn’t the reason for the poor performance in the first half.

The inability to get the ball into the forwards was. And with the wind that is removed.

Good second half. Only conceding 1-2 in the second half is fair going. Forward line is legit if they can get consistent good ball into them.

Huge fan of the younger lads like Doyle, Dunne and Shine.

The inability to get the ball into the forwards was. And with the wind that is removed.

Disagree, no balls were dropping short. In facts few very good scores got off the weak shoulder in the wing, fir kk which wouldn’t have been done if the wind was such a factor.
    Second half, Kk’s team game improved immeasurably and they took control. But Wexford weren’t great. That performance wouldnt beat Dublin or Galway, or limerick/tipp. We were far too reliant on unforced errors and wides from Wexford, to keep us in that game.

Because of the wind they had to go short from the puck out. They kept making a hames of that so kept getting turned over and couldn't get beyond the half forward line.

They're 16 and 17 year old kids. The wind is a massive factor at that age.

I'd still be worried about what was happening when the corner back got the ball from the puck out. Seemed to be a case of off you go yourself rather than any set plan.

But like I said, they're kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Why was the goal disallowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Disagree, no balls were dropping short. In facts few very good scores got off the weak shoulder in the wing, fir kk which wouldn’t have been done if the wind was such a factor.
    Second half, Kk’s team game improved immeasurably and they took control. But Wexford weren’t great. That performance wouldnt beat Dublin or Galway, or limerick/tipp. We were far too reliant on unforced errors and wides from Wexford, to keep us in that game.
    it definitely won't beat Dublin as Westmeath already knocked them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Minors hurled very well in second half .6 down and won by 6.Room for improvement but overall very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

robwen wrote: »

I presume he fouled the ball

A very strong performance in the second half and Wexford's inability to get the ball into our half most of the second half allowed us get on top. A real game of two halves. I was and still am disappointed by the lack of support running in defence when using the short puckout. Thankfully it wasn't much of an issue as we had very little ball down there to worry about. I thought Drennan, Clifford and Walsh showed up very well on the half forward line and the full forward line in particular Dunne caused trouble all day without being spectacular. O'Brien and Doyle in midfield really got on top in the second half and were very good driving forward. Winter hurling is not easy at that age but their used to it and it was a great turn around to score 17 in the second half and only let in 1-02, a 12 point swing. The wind was definitely a huge factor and we used it very well in the second half I would just be a bit concerned that the wind is likely to be a factor every day going forward so if we're going to use the short puckout the lads have to start using support runs off the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Looked like he switched hands without playing it off the hurl. Sometimes too much time is a bad thing. Well done to everyone involved. An impressive second half performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Well done to Kilkenny minors, a really tonic of a win.
    Class and verve in abundance

1st half fade out (even allowing for wind) is a bit concerning as was the jitteriness of the short puck outs (as another poster pointed out, didn't seem to know what to do once cornerback got the ball, so he just ran) but you have to keep reminding yourself how young these lads are

5/6 smashing hurlers and some of the best of them U16

Great pace too (so badly needed at senior)

Offaly won other semi

Note:
    Winners of KK V Offaly go straight to AI final

Galway play Munster winners in semi

When is the Leinster final? 3rd January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

For any of you in any doubt about the quality of this Kilkenny team, Richie Mul doesn't waste his time with duds.

Is that supposed to be a compliment? Because it's not something I'd regard as being something to brag about considering his recent record

Is this his 3rd season in charge now? Seems to be waiting for next years group to swing around

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Good win for minors this morning.

I noticed looking at the teams for Friday night and today that from a school perspective

Friday night (I presume most are finished by u20)
    12 Kieran’s
    2 CBS
    2 Comer
    1 Grennan
    2 not sure ( O Neill & Byrne... De le Salle and Good Counsel?)

U17 today
    7 CBS
    5 Kierans
    2 Good Counsel (they bet Kieran’s at this age in Leinster juvenile)
    Not sure on a couple of others..

Out of say 35 players that played in these matches, 17 are Kieran’s, another 9 from CBS with the other schools providing a couple here and there..

I questioned before how good this Kieran’s dominance is for Kilkenny hurling.. our 2 city schools are providing a massive proportion of our players! Surely our schools in Callan, Ballyhale, Comer, Johnstown, Mooncoin etc should be providing a couple of players (or more) each near on every year? Is the standard of coaching in our secondary schools up to scratch? Is there any hurling in some of the smaller ones?

From a hurling perspective surely Kilkenny would be better off with 2 good town schools, a very good north Kilkenny hurling school and a strong South KK hurling school which sees 100 plus 17/18 year olds getting a good standard of coaching as opposed to just the best in Kieran’s or CBS?

I remember when Callan were a real force in Senior A and then Johnstown had a spell and so did Comer, the likes of Noel Hickey, JJ came from these schools, would be great to see them flourish again

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Looks like the ref made an error to me. I think he blew him for over carrying when he didnt as he tipped the ball off the hurl after the dummy hand pass. It's a good thing it didn't decide the game as it was a howler if a call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

Is that supposed to be a compliment? Because it's not something I'd regard as being something to brag about considering his recent record

Is this his 3rd season in charge now? Seems to be waiting for next years group to swing around

Richie Mulrooney wouldn't regard it as a compliment as he would never refer to any young lad as a dud. With regard to 'his recent record' and overall record, he has managed the KK minors on 5 occasions before 2020 and reached the All Ireland Final every time .... 2008 Won, 2009 Finalists, 2010 Won, 2018 Finalists, 2019 Finalists. To get all 5 teams to the final isn't bad in my opinion!!
    The 2019 group hadn't been expected to do anything given their development squad performances at 14, 15, 16.
    The best of luck to him, his management team of Adrian Finan, Jimmy Meagher, Sean Kelly and Martin Carey and all those young players who went down to Wexford Park and earned a well deserved win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement