Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

greenspurs wrote: »
    I thought DJ walked away?
    He felt that there's only one opinion that counts, so theres no need for anyone else.
    Also DJ walked the young lad included in the squad, not just the extended panel.

If DJ walked because his opinion wasn't considered, I say fair play to him. However, if he walked because his son wasn't on the match day panel, I say fair play to Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Grats wrote: »
    If DJ walked because his opinion wasn't considered, I say fair play to him. However, if he walked because his son wasn't on the match day panel, I say fair play to Cody.

I think one lead into the other ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    I think one lead into the other ....

... that in his opinion his son should be on the match day panel and when he wasn't listened to, he walked?

Have it from a reliable source that two senior members of the panel are ready to walk if Cody doesn't step down.

I well believe it. I expect there will be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I ran into one of our U20 set up and they said they were just blown away with the size and physicality of the Galway lads. They said they really fear for Kilkenny at all levels going forward as the right setup is not there and without a serious plan being prepared and implemented they can only see us going one way and it ain't up.

Hopefully the county board will listen to those involved and start to implement some of the changes needed. I fear they won't or will do it in a haphazard way.

One of the things we talked about was a lot of our lads at various levels not knowing how to run properly and this is a GAA wide problem but one that can be taught fairly easily at a young age. Kilkenny GAA should join forces with the likes of Kilkenny City Harriers and train all you young players to run track and run properly. This would work both ways and both would benefit from the arrangement.

• Advertisement

Ned Quinn was responsible for setting up the squads some years ago and we did benefit hugely from it. Other counties have moved ahead and we're being left behind. It would appear that we don't have a Ned type individual on the current county board. We could do worse than to call on Ned again and ask him to draw up plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd be shocked if Ned didn't still have influence in there. The idea he's just stepped away is unlikely to me
    One of the things we talked about was a lot of our lads at various levels not knowing how to run properly and this is a GAA wide problem but one that can be taught fairly easily at a young age. Kilkenny GAA should join forces with the likes of Kilkenny City Harriers and train all you young players to run track and run properly. This would work both ways and both would benefit from the arrangement.

I don't know about fairly easily. Eoin Everard did a couple of weekends with Kilkenny Dev Squads a few years ago and all coaches were invited to attend to see it in action. I'd say maybe 20-25 showed up. It's an incredibly difficult thing to teach. It requires a huge amount of technical knowledge and patience. I think that once the child goes beyond 10 it gets even harder because you're retraining them to run.

A steps
    B steps
    Ankle and knee dribbles etc etc

Its not easy and let's be honest, as coaches when you're trying to teach lads to hurl at that age you lose their attention very quickly doing that kind of thing.

I completely agree it's needed but when they're 6-11 they're so young you want them to enjoy what they're doing and teaching them opposite arms and knees and how not to heel strike when they're running is just not it.

I'd be shocked if Ned didn't still have influence in there. The idea he's just stepped away is unlikely to me

I don't know about fairly easily. Eoin Everard did a couple of weekends with Kilkenny Dev Squads a few years ago and all coaches were invited to attend to see it in action. I'd say maybe 20-25 showed up. It's an incredibly difficult thing to teach. It requires a huge amount of technical knowledge and patience. I think that once the child goes beyond 10 it gets even harder because you're retraining them to run.

A steps
    B steps
    Ankle and knee dribbles etc etc

Its not easy and let's be honest, as coaches when you're trying to teach lads to hurl at that age you lose their attention very quickly doing that kind of thing.

I completely agree it's needed but when they're 6-11 they're so young you want them to enjoy what they're doing and teaching them opposite arms and knees and how not to heel strike when they're running is just not it.

I'm not suggesting it be done as part of hurling training but young hurlers girls and boys should be encouraged to join the athletics club too, another past time because from the evidence the GAA coach doesn't know how to help a young lad run properly. I'm also talking young as you suggest under 8 mainly. I'm no athletics expert but if we just say AHH it's too hard let's not bother, then nothing changes. We have to try things and make improvements in all these players lives. Only some might make those improvements but it's better then none. If you allowed the athletics clubs use the local GAA facilities for these sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I'm not suggesting it be done as part of hurling training but young hurlers girls and boys should be encouraged to join the athletics club too, another past time because from the evidence the GAA coach doesn't know how to help a young lad run properly. I'm also talking young as you suggest under 8 mainly. I'm no athletics expert but if we just say AHH it's too hard let's not bother, then nothing changes. We have to try things and make improvements in all these players lives. Only some might make those improvements but it's better then none. If you allowed the athletics clubs use the local GAA facilities for these sessions.

You should go down to athletics club training most use their local gaa field st senans are kilmacow
    Thomastown
    Gowran
    Barrow harriers graig
    Castlecomer
    St Joseph all have access to gaa pitches
    And membership is about€20
    Of this years minor team a least 6 would be known on the athletics circut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Yea Kilmacow have a good overlap on their hurling team and cross country runners.

I get you now bigger. I'd also say if you can get kids to do gymnastics at nursery age it'd be hugely beneficial to their movement ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Don't be fooled, Ned Quinn and Pat Henderson are still calling the shots on the County Board.

I feel like during our successful spell we've unfortunately stood still and are in need of a lot of new faces within the county board to affect any kind of meaningful change.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Grats wrote: »
    ... that in his opinion his son should be on the match day panel and when he wasn't listened to, he walked?

It is unfair to think that DJ's son, if he is good enough, cannot be considered just because DJ is involved. Too many here assuming things. Reflecting on the result of the match, perhaps he should have been included.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Neewollah wrote: »
    Don't be fooled, Ned Quinn and Pat Henderson are still calling the shots on the County Board.

I feel like during our successful spell we've unfortunately stood still and are in need of a lot of new faces within the county board to affect any kind of meaningful change.

The clubs are like the Co Board they are run by people that are there for years and are controlling what is going on in the club do not want young people or there opinions or ideas heard speaking from our own expierence in our own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The 93 final against Galway is on the Eir Sport TV channel at the moment.

I'm actually finding it tough to watch to be honest as the skill levels are far inferior compared to modern times

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The clubs are like the Co Board they are run by people that are there for years and are controlling what is going on in the club do not want young people or there opinions or ideas heard speaking from our own expierence in our own club.

That's a big problem in most clubs and until a few groups get together and vote in a few positions in their clubs and vote in a more progressive County Board reps things won't change. I'd love to get involved more with my own club but my current commitment to the club, family and work don't allow me to take on a role and do it to the level it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Happy Christmas folks, and here's to an all Ireland in 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I can only comment on what I seen and in fairness to the coaches maybe the days I was there were seen as trials rather than trainings. But the ones I seen before I stopped bothering were just 15 on 15 games with no coaching outside pregame and half time team talks to both teams. Again, I'll qualify all that by saying I only seen a low percentage of the total sessions

Is this not the best way to go - tactics before game, play full on games, discuss at half time and go again?

Too many drill based drills these days at this age group with lads standing about in queues in drills are not relevant to a game situation.

Just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Talk of new coaches etc is futile.
    Even if there was a Kinenrk or Bevans available, they wouldn't go near the Cody set up
    That isn't an insult to Cody, it is just reality.
    They would see him as a totemic but intransigent figurehead and would rightly fear not being given carte blanche to pursue and stick with their plan
    But most of all they would fear that if it didn't quickly work, there would be a reversion to old ways

Like all great managerial careers, Cody's time is up and he should display all the modesty and humility he is rightly renowned for and recognise this and act
    Nicky English said a few years ago he would never coach IC again, simply because the game had moved on too much from him, he just wasn't up to the necessary speed and innovation of the modern game
    There is no shame in admitting something like that

A big problem for the county, however, is the massive amount of money the County Board have saved with the Cody set up in the last 21 years (something that Cody doesn't get enough credit for)
    But that will be impossible to replicate

The quick turanround will see no change in 2021 however.

The bit re: money/funding is a key point.

The amount of money involved in senior inter-county teams is serious - thousands on pounds every year, never mind 12 or 14 of a backroom team.

Happy Christmas to all kilkenny hurling lunatics. If you are involved with clubs best of luck for the new year.i know the thoughts and work that go into it and at the end of the year only 3 teams can get over the line
    Small margins.intercounty the same massive challenge ahead but that was always part of the joy .

Heard GBC have called on the county board to hold a vote on the senior management position this year and not just ratify as has been the norm for years. It think the county board are going to just ratify him anyway next week, as their likely afraid of the optics of him having a close vote in a county board meeting. I still think he would win this vote currently but it would look bad if say 30 or 40% of clubs voted against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Is the Leinster Minor Hurling Final on or off next Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭kala85

blackcard wrote: »
    Is the Leinster Minor Hurling Final on or off next Saturday?

It's off until the level 5 restrictions are lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Heard GBC have called on the county board to hold a vote on the senior management position this year and not just ratify as has been the norm for years. It think the county board are going to just ratify him anyway next week, as their likely afraid of the optics of him having a close vote in a county board meeting. I still think he would win this vote currently but it would look bad if say 30 or 40% of clubs voted against him.

The clubs should have their say.

It can’t be a job for life until you decide yourself to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

conor05 wrote: »
    The clubs should have their say.

It can’t be a job for life until you decide yourself to retire.
    that's it ye don't want to head in Arsene Wenger or Mikey Harte territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

that's it ye don't want to head in Arsene Wenger or Mikey Harte territory.

Both are good examples, but we are already well there
    Kilkenny's championship record in last 5 years is no better than Tyrones'

Tyrone have been Ulster Champions twice in that period, All Ireland runners up and twice semi-finalists

My understanding is county board propose Brian Cody after a discussion every year then its ratified by clubs.
    So very unlikely clubs would vote against county board recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

I think lads are getting confused between the executive and the county board. The county board is made up of clubs. The executive are the top officers etc on the management committee. The county board (ie the clubs) ratify all appointments and have their opportunity to oppose these appointments when they are proposed.

KK36 wrote: »
    I think lads are getting confused between the executive and the county board. The county board is made up of clubs. The executive are the top officers etc on the management committee. The county board (ie the clubs) ratify all appointments and have their opportunity to oppose these appointments when they are proposed.

Yes that's what i was getting at.so saying cody has the job indefinitely in nonsense. He must be ratified every year by clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

If he was to step down, who would everyone like to see take on the job of manager and who would you like to see coach the current team??

• Advertisement

Willie Mullins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement