Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Short a few players but great spirit again. Big switch in momentum when free not given to Donnelly. McGrath is poor referee gave three frees soft frees against Pat Lyng in first half as well. Half back line and midfield giving no cover to full back line. Fair play to Limerick but can tell speakerbox that we will be back and challenging next year no fear that we are finished at all.
    Everyone who starts out at the start of the year are challengers. We will be nowhere near good enough again next year.
    Who on the current u21 team is going to make any difference next year? We need at least 5 players of good quality for us to challenge for All Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Agree. Ref made some very questionable decisions. It was like pushing your opponent in the back is no longer a foul. Obvious high tackles missed. Good substitutions made but all made way too late. Colin breaks my heart at times. He works so hard but fumbles the ball too much.
    Colins legs looked stuck to the ground, he couldn't chase on a number of occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

First year in a long time your team is ranked outside the top 4.

This was supposed to be our rebuilding year and yet we won the league drew with all ireland champions and only lost by 2 pts on a day when we drove countless wides. And yet we're finished! Thanks for your brilliant analysis you really bring a lot to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

This was supposed to be our rebuilding year and yet we won the league drew with all ireland champions and only lost by 2 pts on a day when we drove countless wides. And yet we're finished! Thanks for your brilliant analysis you really bring a lot to this forum.

In fairness only for Limerick missing some easy scoring goal chances they would have been out of sight. They pretty much mauled the KK defence and yet almost pressed the self destruct button at the same time. There is one thing for certain anyway Kilkenny are finished for 2018.

In fairness only for Limerick missing some easy scoring goal chances they would have been out of sight. They prettu much mauled KK defence and yet almost pressed the self destruct button at the same time. There is one thing for certain anyway Kilkenny are finished for 2018.

Glad to see you changed your tune it was the end of an era a few minutes ago. Fair play to Limerick. Actually the best thing about them today was that they they took the vast majority of their scores and it was only the brilliance of Eoin Murphy that stopped them getting a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Bad year for Leinster teams. Wexford well beaten yesterday and only for Murphy us too. The openness of the Munster championship meant Limerick had a much better forward unit who had our backs beaten all day.
    Paul Murphy's days are numbered
    Joey Holden not good enough
    Padraig Walsh not good enough for full back
    Rob Lennon has no pace and is too cumbersome
    Deegan is too loose
    Buckley hasn't been great at centre back

How is that going to be fixed for next year?

Plus the lack of scoring forwards we have.
    We need a new forwards coach. Who is the forwards coach?
    At the end the day we don't have the players

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Bad year for Leinster teams. Wexford well beaten yesterday and only for Murphy us too. The openness of the Munster championship meant Limerick had a much better forward unit who had our backs beaten all day.
    Paul Murphy's days are numbered
    Joey Holden not good enough
    Padraig Walsh not good enough for full back
    Rob Lennon has no pace and is too cumbersome
    Deegan is too loose
    Buckley hasn't been great at centre back

How is that going to be fixed for next year?

Plus the lack of scoring forwards we have.
    We need a new forwards coach. Who is the forwards coach?
    At the end the day we don't have the players

Don't fret mullinr2, we will fly the leinster flag against Clare in the semi final :P

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

First of all fair play to Limerick better team on the day, hopefully they go on and win it now they've a few likeable hurlers. Once again our spirt and never say day attitude kept us in it and again could have won on the day. Teams seem to be able to apply their tactics against us while we can't apply ours.

First of all, pat lyng wasn't on the panel in the championship games and keoghan didn't even come on last week while alyward played the majority of the game last week and only got a few seconds today so how on earth did lyng start today, he was terrible. I know the thinking behind it to have hardworking wing forwards but it didn't work at all.

I thought Colin had a good first half, pure shocker in the second. In the first half I thought Colin hogan and tj were getting on balls and passing it off to lads who didn't have the hurlig skill to do anything with it. Hogan scored well today but once again lost so much ball same with Colin. Thought TJ threw himself around the place but he can't do everything for us.

Maher had a great year in fairness but he seems to tire which can be easily fixed hopefully he kicks on again.

For the backs, I thought every one of them were terrible and Limerick only scoring 2 frees shows that. P murphy striking was terrible. I said before I thought p Walsh could go well today but he wasn't great now he didn't commit to one ball. Deegan so loose and throws everything into the hook only for the forward to throw a dummy and deegan loose his balance. Holden wasn't at much. I also thought Buckly would match up well against Hayes and it looked to me he was injured because he wasn't at it at all. Lennon well he might be a good club hurler but that's it, terrible again he's too slow and seems to be lost. What Jason cleere and Delaney are doing wrong I don't know. Eoin murphy sensational again. Wally a big loss.

The wides killed us and a few of them were terrible. How it wasn't a free on donnolly I don't know and that changed the game. Tj and fogerty trying these crazy hard passes instead of taking easy points in first half also came back to bite us. Donnolly and leahy both very good off the bench. In the championship they were both better off the bench and struggled when started but hopefully next year they kick on and start these games as well because their very good hurlers not just workers. There's plenty to build on but we need to find a settled 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

digzy wrote: »
    Think ye're writing off yer team far too soon. It's a bit disrespectful to Cody and those players.

No it’s not disrespectful. People can offer less-than-glowing opinions on a team without it being disrespectful.

This was supposed to be our rebuilding year.

Have you ever considered the possibility that there might be more than one rebuilding year involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

In fairness only for Limerick missing some easy scoring goal chances they would have been out of sight. They pretty much mauled the KK defence and yet almost pressed the self destruct button at the same time. There is one thing for certain anyway Kilkenny are finished for 2018.

They did not miss goal scoring chances - good shots were saved by a brilliant goalkeeper - and that is why a goalkeeper is there - to stop goals being scored.

Limerick did not miss many shots for points though, and that was the difference in the end. The Kilkenny forwards were very wasteful and we could say they missed many,many easy chances at scoring points.

Have you any idea of the wide statistics for each team - that should explain the difference and why Limerick scrambled home in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Full back line left exposed. 25 points from play says it all. Did Buckley feel the weight of the ball today?
    Fogarty is to slow midfield, so one paced. After Richies goal we needed to win the next ball. Tom Morrissey caught it over Joey Holden, massive score Joey just not good enough. Lennon to slow, must be poor backs in kk if these are kk wing backs. Deegan looks in big trouble with any space around.

James Maher great year on a positive note. As did ,Leahy , Donnelly.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Have you ever considered the possibility that there might be more than one rebuilding year involved?

I sure have but unlike you I haven't written them off. Looking back at the championship Kilkenny only hurled well for a full 70 minutes on one occasion this year and managed to draw and could have beaten Galway. The experience of this year will stand to our younger players and hopefully we can find more consistency next year. This may not happen but only the most blinkered like yourself could write them off for next year already. I have no problem with anyone being positive and having hope for their own county but have no time for the rubbish that goes on here saying they're gone for years or forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

A great game. We fought to the end.

Limerick were very impressive the way they responded to our goal.

Everything went over for them. We had some very poor wides.

I'll not single out individual players. We had a few lads that didn't perform today.

Overall a good year and surpassed expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

I sure have but unlike you I haven't written them off. Looking back at the championship Kilkenny only hurled well for a full 70 minutes on one occasion this year and managed to draw and could have beaten Galway. The experience of this year will stand to our younger players and hopefully we can find more consistency next year. This may not happen but only the most blinkered like yourself could write them off for next year already. I have no problem with anyone being positive and having hope for their own county but have no time for the rubbish that goes on here saying they're gone for years or forever.

If Cody introduced Hogan 10-15 mins earlier in the drawn Leinster kk would be in the Semi final IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mixrock

On any day that even TJ is hitting wides you know its not our day. Lots of sharpening up to do on finishing but i think the progress from February to today has been immense.

Lots of criticism here already but third big game on the trot against a fresh and sharp limerick outfit who will really challenge Cork and could definitely be champs this year.

Donnelly and leahy were so much better today once on, blanch too. Using the panel works in getting them to buck up. Felt sorry for mossy ryan and lyng today, will hurt a lot but we will see them go hell for leather with clubs now and come back better, older and wiser.

Thought ref was a complete clown. Loads of poor decisions and overlooked blatant frees.

Special mention to eoin murphy today for a complete exhibition in goalkeeping excellence.
    All in all we outperformed this year where we should have been imo and the spirit has been immense. Proud of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

If I do go off on a rant here I'm sure someone will pull me up on it.
    This is only my opinion but I'm speaking from what i saw.

Congratulations to limerick on reaching an all ireland semi final. Better team overall today.
    We've done no heavy training this week naturally ebough and recuperation and recovery were the buzz words. Th8s being the case how in the name of god did pat lyng deserve to start today? Nothing against pat but he wasn't even on the panel for last week. If he was going well in training how was it that he wasn't in contention last week. His decision making wasn't up to the panel required.
    The same must go for Robert Lennon. Fine club hurler but how does Conor Delaney, enda Morrissey, Conor Brown and even a fit Jason cleere not get the nod ahead of Lennon. His touch and pace were all off today.
    Management must accept responsibility here. Maybe there are logical reasons but I can't see even a remote reason for these two changes. I would never question what cody has achieved but I just don't get it.
    Walter was always going to be a huge loss and if he was on the edge of the square in the 1st half he could easily have helped himself to 2 goals.
    Leaving mossy cone out at the start of the 2nd half baffled me. Possibly give him 5 minutes but it was too late bringing on Leahy to replace him. Leahy didn't go well the last two matches but anyone could see today this was a completely different type of game, far .ore suited to Leahy.
    Then we have the almost farcical situation of giving Donnelly 10 minutes to make an impression, which of course he duly did. After half time or 20 minutes to go fine but 20 mins to go. Jesus it's hard to fathom.
    Hogan good today but we left Colin on the edge of the square for far too long when we could see ge hadn't the confidence to take his man on.
    Billy Ryan was a handful for them today.
    With all the doom and gloom of previous posts you would think we were gone for the next few years but if we learn from this then there's no reason why we can't be in croker on all ireland final day next year.
    Conor Delaney has to move to full back.
    Padraig, a fit cleere and buvkley making up the half backline.
    Maher has had a good year but fogarty has disappointed this year.
    A combination of Walter, tj, Leahy, Donnelly, hogan and billy ryan must make up the core of our front 6 with blanchfield, Scanlon, mossy, ger aylward and Bill Sheehan busting themselves to make it.
    Our full back line has to have Paul murphy reading the game better, he's worth his place but his positioning inflation his marker was very poor at times today. You have to be on his shoulder rather than 8 yards away from him. Deegan had a poor outing today but had had a good year.

I'm just disappointed today with management decisions but as the saying goes it's easy for us when were not directly involved. I have no doubt if Leahy or Donnelly and enda Morrissey started today in the positions aforementioned we would be meeting cork on two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

What was wrong with Walter Walsh? Even if he could have came on for 10 mins at the end, it would have made a big difference.

He was a big loss for ye today

I sure have but unlike you I haven't written them off.

Actually I didn’t comment either way on their future prospects. You are imagining that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

What was wrong with Walter Walsh? Even if he could have came on for 10 mins at the end, it would have made a big difference.

He was a big loss for ye today

Injured last week

• Advertisement

They did not miss goal scoring chances - good shots were saved by a brilliant goalkeeper - and that is why a goalkeeper is there - to stop goals being scored.

Limerick did not miss many shots for points though, and that was the difference in the end. The Kilkenny forwards were very wasteful and we could say they missed many,many easy chances at scoring points.

Have you any idea of the wide statistics for each team - that should explain the difference and why Limerick scrambled home in the end.

They would have buried Kilkenny only for the goalkeeper. That's what made the scorline a bit more respectable but Limerick destroyed KK today even though it didn't show on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

blackcard wrote: »
    Injured last week

I kinda realised he was injured! I meant was it a bad one. It doesn't matter now but just wondering could he have done a few mins or did Cody think it wasn't worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Saved 5 potential goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

They would have buried Kilkenny only for the goalkeeper. That's what made the scorline a bit more respectable but Limerick destroyed KK today even though it didn't show on the scoreboard.
    So what your saying is Limerick would have buried Kilkenny today if wasn't for the performance of one of the Kilkenny players? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mixrock

Usualstripes - id love to see players in their best positions next year; I’m thinking very much of Walsh but also some of the “forwards” play wing backs and midfield with clubs. No point trying to fit round pegs in square holes. I know they are trying to get the best use of players we’ve got but if we can solve that it will go a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

I kinda realised he was injured! I meant was it a bad one. It doesn't matter now but just wondering could he have done a few mins or did Cody think it wasn't worth the risk

Sorry. Did his hamstring. Not a chance of playing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

No it’s not disrespectful. That’s a comment designed simply to shut down opinion you don’t like. People can offer less-than-glowing opinions on a team without it being disrespectful.

To suggest Cody should walk is ‘in my opinion ‘ disrespectful.
    Your opinion differs.

Negativity on here is unreal from both Kilkenny and non Kilkenny teams. Kilkenny won the league and in there only championship match where they hurled for a full 70 minutes they drew with Galway. Kilkenny are short maybe 2 or 3 defenders as are many other teams in the country. If we can find more consistency and have a little more composure we will challenge any team. Gone are the days of domination but we are not a million miles away like some here seem to think. Most other countries take great satisfaction in seeing KK beaten and every time it happens we have the usual suspects come on to this forum to tell us we're finished but you don't have to believe them. We have lists of players who were "terrible" today yet if Kilkenny had taken half their 16 sides what would the result have been. For all Limericks brilliance we created way more scoring chances. So how we have no chance next year is beyond me. Don't care about the usual fools coming on to say we're finished but I think Kilkenny people need to see the positives from this year and look forward to challenging again next year and fcuk the begrudgers.

Negativity on here is unreal from both Kilkenny and non Kilkenny teams. Kilkenny won the league and in there only championship match where they hurled for a full 70 minutes they drew with Galway. Kilkenny are short maybe 2 or 3 defenders as are many other teams in the country. If we can find more consistency and have a little more composure we will challenge any team. Gone are the days of domination but we are not a million miles away like some here seem to think. Most other countries take great satisfaction in seeing KK beaten and every time it happens we have the usual suspects come on to this forum to tell us we're finished but you don't have to believe them. We have lists of players who were "terrible" today yet if Kilkenny had taken half their 16 sides what would the result have been. For all Limericks brilliance we created way more scoring chances. So how we have no chance next year is beyond me. Don't care about the usual fools coming on to say we're finished but I think Kilkenny people need to see the positives from this year and look forward to challenging again next year and fcuk the begrudgers.

You are bit deluded. Take off the black and amber shades.

• Advertisement

You are bit deluded. Take off the black and amber shades.

No I watched the match today and all the other Kilkenny matches and drew my conclusions from facts not from my hatred of another county. If you read my post I said Kilkenny will challenge again next year like they did this year. Nothing deluded about that my black and amber hating friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement