Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    Cillian Buckley has been very average the last few years. When all the retirements came during the early to mid noughties I expected him to step it up and be a leader. He has been poor since then. He is just too slow now. Waterford ran through the middle in the semi final on far to many occasion. Walsh, Buckley and Deegan are just too slow for modern game half back line. I watched him closely this year v OLG in the club semi final and he got took for 7 points from play.

You are talking absolute waffle and I am really just assuming your comments specifically towards Deegan and Buckley are purely based on your dislike towards the two other city teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

You have to take Village87's comments with a pinch of salt. He or she seems to be a very bitter and frustrated individual without a good word to say about anyone. He seems to think that there is a raft of super players that Cody has overlooked and are not being picked

Deegan has been a relatively decent performer for us in the last few years. He was actually our best player in the league last year. Let's not forget he had to self isolate dir to a close contact prior to the Waterford game. You could argue the toss on whether he is good enough for an AI winning team but time will tell on that I guess. Personally I'd like to see him tried again at corner back as I felt he did fairly ok there and it's a position we do need to think long and hard about.

I am far from a bitter person. I have great words to say about plenty of players TJ being one of them. His performances the last few years and even against Waterford in the semi final are super human, incredible the best ever imo. Padraig Walsh another super hurler but Padraig could be like Tommy when he hits 29/30 the legs just go. John Donnelly another excellent hurler. I can name plenty more. I am just highlighting lads that are under serious pressure and performances have been overlooked. We are Kilkenny we always have young hurlers.

If my comments hurt people or they take insult then I apologies. Inter county is ruthless and Cody knows that more than anyone. It is time that 10/12 players can go. They have not been good enough last 4/5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Not crazy going into each player individually but in fairness to V87, the stats don't lie and the players he has pinpointed have conceded an avalanche of scores from their markers in matches in the past 3-4 years
    Deegan and Buckley look Rolls Royce at times with the ball in hand and I think that's the problem, but the scores both have conceded to their markers with club and county in recent years cannot be glossed over as "just the modern game"
    The game hasn't changed so much that half backs conceding 5 or 6 points is shrugged off and you just keep picking them

I'd love to see players like Buckley and Murphy and Fogarty get back to previous levels but unfortunately, that looks unlikely
    That's tough, I'm sure they (and Deegan) are busting their balls to do so, but time and injury appear to have caught up on them

In hindsight, the run to the final in 2019 and Hogan's sending off in final papered over a lot of cracks and Cody went with the same hand, and has now delayed any real change not just by one year but by two at least it appears.
    At very least, in my opinion, he should have twisted and gone with form club players like Reid and D Mullen in half back line

I am also worried we are being deliberately plamased from outside and this is framing minds within the county that we are still really close, just need a bit of luck
    "Cody and Kilkenny are still a dangerous beast and can beat anyone on their day" stuff
    Kiely and Sheedy and Davy in particular, are good at this sort of guff, they don't believe it, all three would firmly expect to beat us

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ttowncat

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40205708.html?type=amp

Richie Power Senior suggesting Cody should have gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

bamayang wrote: »
    As in Richie-no-cartilage-in-his-knees-power? Turned his back? Jaysus this thread is gas crack sometimes.

He’s prob talking about John Power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

He was never a fan of cody anyway so pinch of salt might be needed.

I have to say i am glad the have stuck with him.we have had days before when the crowd was looking for change.
    Go back to 2004 when we couldn't handle corks running
    Or 2010 when tipp were about to take over the world 2013 when hurling was gone to fast for the kilkenny lads.
    When we got beaten in 15 by galway and came back to win the all Ireland.
    Hadn't a hope against limerick last year and somehow the media have turned it into a mugging
    We started that game well but limerick got level with 10mins to go and we kicked on again by 4.
    I can guarantee anyone that watched kilkenny hurling this year and felt frustrated.
    Its nothing like the frustration cody will have felt basic errors and poor defending is the root of our problem it gets papered over by nonsense
    Wait and ye will see calum lyons get nominated for a alstar after 7 pts scored of him in a final.

Can't wait for the reaction and seasoned heads will roll its what we need to do.
    Individual meetings will be held and lads will be informed they are not in the plan .
    And retirements will follow.

I have to say i am glad the have stuck with him.we have had days before when the crowd was looking for change.
    Or 2010 when tipp were about to take over the world 2013 when hurling was gone to fast for the kilkenny lads.
    Hadn't a hope against limerick last year and somehow the media have turned it into a mugging
    We started that game well but limerick got level with 10mins to go and we kicked on again by 4.
    I can guarantee anyone that watched kilkenny hurling this year and felt frustrated.
    Its nothing like the frustration cody will have felt basic errors and poor defending is the root of our problem it gets papered over by nonsense
    Wait and ye will see calum lyons get nominated for a alstar after 7 pts scored of him in a final.

Can't wait for the reaction and seasoned heads will roll its what we need to do.
    Individual meetings will be held and lads will be informed they are not in the plan .

The difference in 2004 was Kilkenny had some of the best underage teams ever created coming through. Them underage teams have carried current set up until the last few years with TJ the last survivor

We didn't no that then .
    Tommy,jj,Jackie ,taggy were described as the worst minor team ever to leave kilkenny.
    Tj s minor team were beaten by dublin in first round in 05
    Donnelly Nominated i think
    Mullen yhoty
    Cody yhoty
    over the last 3 years have been unearthed Delaney looks really good

Limerick forward line that lost 2014 minor final to Kilkenny

Cian Lynch
    Barry Nash
    Seamus Flanagan
    Peter Casey
    Tom Morrissey
    Ronan Lynch

Yet
    Not one of the Kilkenny forwards has nailed down a regular senior spot

I know you can sometimes get anomalies like this when a losing minor team produces more seniors, but this is an exceptional disparity and does beg the question as to how much better the Limerick lads were handled and coached in the intervening years?

greenspurs wrote: »
    why would anyone listen to him? His antics over the last few years hardly give him any moral ground.

What happened the last few years ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

greenspurs wrote: »
    why would anyone listen to him? His antics over the last few years hardly give him any moral ground.

I think your confusing Richie from Carrickshock with John from Callán?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think your confusing Richie from Carrickshock with John from Callán?

Oops !...
    You are right ... :rolleyes: :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

If the stories are true and he has lost the dressing room, there will be no coming back to win All Irelands this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

citykat wrote: »
    The level of illinformed nonsense on display in this thread is perfectly encapsulated in your reply.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/a-sad-sad-day-for-hurling-lovers-everywhere-as-richie-power-prepares-to-call-time-on-kilkenny-career-59925

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-legend-richie-power-stem-cell-treatment-is-my-last-hurrah-35823585.html

There it is in plain black and white to disprove the nonsense you have just spouted, also stopped playing with the club a few years ago too did he turn his back on them aswell? Get your facts right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

He's not talking about Richie. It's still a cheap shot and uncalled for but its not about Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The level of illinformed nonsense on display in this thread is perfectly encapsulated in your reply.

In fairness citykat John power was on the outs with management and hadn't performed for a long time when he left the panel. The cliche is always "he doesn't owe us anything" for a reason: there is no obligation on anyone, and if someone wants to stop making the incredible sacrifices that are required to play at that level (especially someone who feels they don't have anything left to offer), they deserve better than to be accused of turning their back on the county. Was disappointed with your post to be honest, we all want what's best for the county, yourself included. More to the point, John power retiring had nothing to do with any point his father was making as regards whether Cody should stay on. If you think he's wrong about that, explain why rather than bringing up something irrelevant to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Why have a few of the posts been deleted? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/a-sad-sad-day-for-hurling-lovers-everywhere-as-richie-power-prepares-to-call-time-on-kilkenny-career-59925

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-legend-richie-power-stem-cell-treatment-is-my-last-hurrah-35823585.html

There it is in plain black and white to disprove the nonsense you have just spouted, also stopped playing with the club a few years ago too did he turn his back on them aswell? Get your facts right

Your also confusing father with son, it was Richie Power senior who is quoted in the examiner article this week not Richie Power Jnr who is the subject of the articles you've linked. Father and son.

I have absolutely no idea how a simple post of mine asking is John Power still hurling was removed

Can I ask whether he is still hurling?

If not, best of luck to the lad

On the same subject, great to see the recent piece on Cha in China.
    Seems to be really happy
    Delighted for him

Great hurler, great character

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

I have absolutely no idea how a simple post of mine asking is John Power still hurling was removed

Can I ask whether he is still hurling?

If not, best of luck to the lad

On the same subject, great to see the recent piece on Cha in China.
    Seems to be really happy
    Delighted for him

Great hurler, great character

John P spent some time out travelling in Australia and returned home earlier than originally planned due to Covid etc. He was home in time for latter end league Championship but had to complete quarantine etc so with very little hurling in him he was going to find it difficult hit ground running for championship knockout. He came on against Ballyragget in Relegation semi and done very well and also he played against Muckalee in first round where Shocks were bet.

He is still relatively young hurling career wise so has plenty of time to rediscover his form for club and try achieve more success with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

In fairness citykat John power was on the outs with management and hadn't performed for a long time when he left the panel. The cliche is always "he doesn't owe us anything" for a reason: there is no obligation on anyone, and if someone wants to stop making the incredible sacrifices that are required to play at that level (especially someone who feels they don't have anything left to offer), they deserve better than to be accused of turning their back on the county. Was disappointed with your post to be honest, we all want what's best for the county, yourself included. More to the point, John power retiring had nothing to do with any point his father was making as regards whether Cody should stay on. If you think he's wrong about that, explain why rather than bringing up something irrelevant to it.

I am loathe to give this issue any more oxygen than it deserves. However seeing as you asked, I'll explain why i posted.
    Firstly Cody has been ratified. It's a done deal for the upcoming season. Regardless of what people think, the appointment is not going to be reversed. Richie knew that when he give that interview? What did he think he was going to achieve? Is he that desperate for a bit of attention? Fogarty must've been delighted with that bit of clickbait. If Richie feels that strongly about things why not give Jimmy Walsh a call? Given all that Richie has done for Kilkenny he'd surely be given an audience. Richie reckons Cody needs to unearth 3 or 4 players. No **** Richie. If he has a few players in mind, why not make that call. Richie reckons we should go back to the old process for appointing managers via the clubs. Fair enough. Why not go through the channels in Kilkenny instead of spitballing with someone in the media?
    All Kilkenny fans are disappointed after last season particularly at how things ended. All going well the season begins next month. Posts to this thread, supposedly true, have proven to be completely untrue. One national journalist even foolishly followed up on one of these stories and found it to have zero basis in fact. Players have been named, unfairly in my view, as wanting nothing to do with the current regime. Most of those players are probably in training at the moment. To be named in that fashion is reckless and unfair. I think it's time for an end to this bull**** and for people to start getting behind the team.
    I would accept it was unfair of me to drag an innocent party into my beef with Richie. That individual certainly doesn't owe anybody anything. It's just that Richie Power is a legend in Kilkenny for what he has done on and off the field. That makes it all the more disappointing that he showed such poor judgement in proceeding with this interview at all.

I am loathe to give this issue any more oxygen than it deserves. However seeing as you asked, I'll explain why i posted.
    Firstly Cody has been ratified. It's a done deal for the upcoming season. Regardless of what people think, the appointment is not going to be reversed. Richie knew that when he give that interview? What did he think he was going to achieve? Is he that desperate for a bit of attention? Fogarty must've been delighted with that bit of clickbait. If Richie feels that strongly about things why not give Jimmy Walsh a call? Given all that Richie has done for Kilkenny he'd surely be given an audience. Richie reckons Cody needs to unearth 3 or 4 players. No **** Richie. If he has a few players in mind, why not make that call. Richie reckons we should go back to the old process for appointing managers via the clubs. Fair enough. Why not go through the channels in Kilkenny instead of spitballing with someone in the media?
    All Kilkenny fans are disappointed after last season particularly at how things ended. All going well the season begins next month. Posts to this thread, supposedly true, have proven to be completely untrue. One national journalist even foolishly followed up on one of these stories and found it to have zero basis in fact. Players have been named, unfairly in my view, as wanting nothing to do with the current regime. Most of those players are probably in training at the moment. To be named in that fashion is reckless and unfair. I think it's time for an end to this bull**** and for people to start getting behind the team.
    I would accept it was unfair of me to drag an innocent party into my beef with Richie. That individual certainly doesn't owe anybody anything. It's just that Richie Power is a legend in Kilkenny for what he has done on and off the field. That makes it all the more disappointing that he showed such poor judgement in proceeding with this interview at all.

Why is it one rule for Brian Cody and another for everyone else. Players obviously unhappy with set up. Management has to have a good look at itself when you look at current set up compared to other counties. It seems easier to get on the panel now than get off it. Fitness, skill level, S&C, tactics way behind other counties. Cody is like a fallen dictator clinging onto any power he has left.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Paul Murphy retired this morning.
    A great player in his day.

Will there be many more this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Best of luck to Murphy. For years he was the best corner back in the country. An animal coming onto the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Murphy was a super player in early 10s, could really get the crowd up on their feet.

Probably the right time for him to go, I’d say Danesfort will be delighted to have him back full time as they try bounce back up.

I believe 4 players have been added to the panel so far this year

Eoin O Shea
    David Blanchfield
    Aidan Nolan
    Daire Corcoran

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Murphy was a super player and the best corner back that I have seen. If memory serves me correct he was runner up to Shefflin for Player of the Year in 2012 which is some achievement in the modern game for a corner back.

He probably still had something to give but after seeing no championship game time in 2020 and facing into another year of uncertainty around trading and playing you couldnt blame him really.

Sone of the names of those new panellists have been in before and released so a second chance for them. Maybe that says as much about what talent is actually out there.

Paul Murphy was outstanding. His courage to attack the ball and hurl from the front was a joy .picked up his alstars and all Irelands and a great career. Right call by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Village87 wrote: »
    Why is it one rule for Brian Cody and another for everyone else. Players obviously unhappy with set up. Management has to have a good look at itself when you look at current set up compared to other counties. It seems easier to get on the panel now than get off it. Fitness, skill level, S&C, tactics way behind other counties. Cody is like a fallen dictator clinging onto any power he has left.

Literally the only one of those metrics you can fairly judge Cody off is tactics, which he got wrong against Waterford this year definitely but he got massively right against Limerick in ‘19, in fact I’d be quite confident that a hybrid approach will be what knocks Limerick off their perch, they won’t be bet by a running or short game. Galway & Tipp probably in the best position to topple them but Kilkenny despite our deficits have the requisite ability to beat any of those teams (AI semi 19 and LF last year)..

As for skill, this is hugely down to the standard across the county, if a guy hasn’t got the skill at 21/22 there is very little that any inter county manager can do, doesn’t matter if you have Paul Kinnerk, Eamon O’Shea and every other top coach in the country, the ceiling for improvement is limited.

Again S&C structures need to be in place at underage and in clubs too, I do think at underage level we are trying to address this, clubs need to step up on this regard too, I personally think their is too much emphasis on slogging out 3km/5kms in the winter and in the gym it’s biceps and squat as much as you can as opposed to explosive movements that improve hurling specific speed and strength. This is not the senior inter county managers job, this has to be put in place by the county board and clubs themselves.

As for the fitness, we had a new coach in last year, it turned out to be a freak year, Kilkenny obviously got it wrong and by the championship a lot of players looked leggy no doubt. However, for all the talk of the players being unhappy etc.. the same players think this coach is exceptional and they really rate him, surely he deserves the benefit of another year of relative normality to try and get it right.

In my personal opinion our players are in the top 5 in the country and that’s where we have come in 19 & 20, I don’t think we are underachieving at all nor are we massively overachieving, the pack has simply improved in the last 5/6 years and we’ve had a natural dip. The idea that it’s all down to Cody is in my opinion nonsensical

• Advertisement

Eoin Larkin on colm Parkinson yesterday said pretty much the same .and the talk of players being unhappy was a social media creation.And that when ballycallan were asked about their proposal for a change of management they had no idea where it came from.
    He went on to say cody is over achieving with the current panel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement