Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

No I watched the match today and all the other Kilkenny matches and drew my conclusions from facts not from my hatred of another county. If you read my post I said Kilkenny will challenge again next year like they did this year. Nothing deluded about that my black and amber hating friend.

You are making out that KK were just as good Limerick today only for the saves Limerick would have had 5-6 goals to spare . It be a terrible injustice if Limerick lost today. Better scores better talent, better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

You are making out that KK were just as good Limerick today only for the saves Limerick would have had 5-6 goals to spare . It be a terrible injustice if Limerick lost today. Better scores better talent, better players.

If it wasn't for our 16 wides we would've won by 14 points.

Ifs and buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Read again I was talking about Kilkenny challenging next year. Nowhere did I say they were better but the fact is they shot terrible wides especially when they were on top at the start of both halves. If you can't even acknowledge that what's the point of posting. I already said Limerick were good today and took their scores very well at vital times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

Negativity on here is unreal from both Kilkenny and non Kilkenny teams. Kilkenny won the league and in there only championship match where they hurled for a full 70 minutes they drew with Galway. Kilkenny are short maybe 2 or 3 defenders as are many other teams in the country. If we can find more consistency and have a little more composure we will challenge any team. Gone are the days of domination but we are not a million miles away like some here seem to think. Most other countries take great satisfaction in seeing KK beaten and every time it happens we have the usual suspects come on to this forum to tell us we're finished but you don't have to believe them. We have lists of players who were "terrible" today yet if Kilkenny had taken half their 16 sides what would the result have been. For all Limericks brilliance we created way more scoring chances. So how we have no chance next year is beyond me. Don't care about the usual fools coming on to say we're finished but I think Kilkenny people need to see the positives from this year and look forward to challenging again next year and fcuk the begrudgers.

But thats a big problem, why did they only play well for the full 70 minutes once in seven matches?

Today defensively we were poor and if it wasn't for an excellent display from Eoin Murphy could have conceded a good few goals. The same defensive flaws were seen against Dublin, the first half against Wexford and in the Galway replay.

kksaints wrote: »
    But thats a big problem, why did they only play well for the full 70 minutes once in seven matches?

Today defensively we were poor and if it wasn't for an excellent display from Eoin Murphy could have conceded a good few goals. The same defensive flaws were seen against Dublin, the first half against Wexford and in the Galway replay.
    Agree 100% that is the problem but also a ca use for optimism. A lot of new young players who will gain from this year and hopefully improve. Definitely short at least 2 defenders but it's not an insurmountable problem. I also think the full back line got very little cover from the half back line and midfield unlike the drawn game against Galway. I just think there is huge room for improvement and yet we were still very competitive this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

They would have buried Kilkenny only for the goalkeeper. That's what made the scorline a bit more respectable but Limerick destroyed KK today even though it didn't show on the scoreboard.

Any idea on the wides count for each team?

Unfortunately, Kilkenny's massive amount of wides didn't show on the scoreboard either, and like the potential goals, thus do not register as scores.

Good luck to Limerick and I'll miss the playing of the Rose of Mooncoin in Croke Park this year.

Kilkenny will be back sooner than expected a few short months ago - lots of positives to be taken from the performances of some of the newer younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Alit of poir decisions today.pat lyng not atthe races same for mossy.leahy and donnelly big improvements.walter big loss and ger should have played before billy ryan for me.robert lennon not at the races.poor wides and a big decision by the referee qhen not giving a foul when we were a pt up cost us.this new system does not suit us as we have no time to play internal games betweem matches.(so how come.lyng lennon)overall good year jut we could have been in the last 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

First off congratulations to limerick it was a great match and either team could of won but infairness to limerick the finished the match the stronger team and responded great to richies goal.
    I could not believe what i was hearing when the rumours were going around the match that pat lyng and lennon were starting.
    i thought buckley looked to be carrying a injury but james maher has being a great find for us this year.Leahy and donnelly were both brillant when they cane on and thats why id be positive about the future,wally and a fit kevin kelly would of also being a big addition.
    I dont know why delaney has slipped so much but hopefully next year we settle on a full back early and release padraig out to the wing maybe cleere will be ready to slot into 6 and have buckley and walsh on the wings.
    i wouldnt mind seeing the backroom changed up but overall despite what people might say we're after blooding a lot of youngsters which will hopefully stand to us.I dont imagine there'll be many retirements.
    we've had a better year than most expected thanks lads for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Any idea on the wides count for each team?

Unfortunately, Kilkenny's massive amount of wides didn't show on the scoreboard either, and like the potential goals, thus do not register as scores.

Good luck to Limerick and I'll miss the playing of the Rose of Mooncoin in Croke Park this year.

Kilkenny will be back sooner than expected a few short months ago - lots of positives to be taken from the performances of some of the newer younger players.

Kilkenny had 16, Limerick had 9

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Limerick were the better balanced team, got some nice scores and a bit better with their use of the ball in the second half than Kilkenny.

Baffling decision to start Pat Lyng from nowhere; but a lot of the younger Kilkenny players are wildly inconsistent. (Leahy, Blanchfield, Donnelly etc......they're all as good one day as they are bad the next). Hopefully the experience will bring them on.

Eoin Murphy's goalkeeping is on another planet altogether; it's getting to the stage where attackers 1 on 1 with him would be as well off putting it over the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It was the last chance saloon and he knew he had to play his best team.
    I don't think he did. His tweaks did not work .

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Limerick were the better balanced team, got some nice scores and a bit better with their use of the ball in the second half than Kilkenny.

Baffling decision to start Pat Lyng from nowhere; but a lot of the younger Kilkenny players are wildly inconsistent. (Leahy, Blanchfield, Donnelly etc......they're all as good one day as they are bad the next). Hopefully the experience will bring them on.

Eoin Murphy's goalkeeping is on another planet altogether; it's getting to the stage where attackers 1 on 1 with him would be as well off putting it over the bar.

I think even Brendan Cummins admitted today he has never seen a goalkeeper make saves like Murphy has.
    And the funny thing is he would probably do a job for us in the forwards aswel!!

No he wouldn't. That's a myth.

An unbelievable keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

kksaints wrote: »

Hard luck today first of all. I'm seeing the hurl for 70 minutes thing going around a good bit, to be honest if it happens that often its not a case of being asleep its just that thats as good as you are to be fair.

Like Galway bet them well 2/3 times, I'd be more inclined to take those games as indicative of the difference between the sides and the drawn game as one where Galway under performed rather than the other way around.

Kilkenny actually started much better than Limerick today who looked way off the pace at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Positives for the year
    Eoin Murphy outstanding
    TJ, Wally consistently good
    Richie Hogan hopefully putting his back problems behind him. A fully fit Richie would have made a huge difference today.
    James Maher has arrived.
    Good performance at times from Padraig Walsh, Gillian Buckley, John Donnelly, Richie Leahy, Paddy Deegan, Liam Blanchfield, Enda Morrissey, Conor Delaney
    First championship appearances for a number of players. You would hope that most of these will improve next year. Luke Scanlon and others should be stronger next year.
    Hopefully Colin Fennelly, Paul Murphy and Ger Aylward will have uninterrupted preparations.
    We have started the process of altering our style of play.
    We won a league final along the way.
    Finally, the never say die attitude of all the players. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No he wouldn't. That's a myth.

An unbelievable keeper

Wasn't he pretty good around 2013/14 for WIT in the Fitzgibbon Cup when he was playing in the forwards. I think he was player of the the tournament in 2014 when they won it (I stand to be corrected though).
    Not saying at all that he would deserve a spot in the forwards (if he wasn't a keeper) but I was under the impression that he was a very good outfield player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

BoroMan32 wrote: »

Great post.
    Murphy should be a certain All Star but because Kilkenny don't reach the all Ireland the 'experts' probably won't pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Any idea when the club championship will resume?

My understanding is that they're the weekend of the 12th August

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Except the potential goals were stopped by good play, but the unforced wides were down to poor play. I'd expect better analysis from a KK poster tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Congrats to Limerick, well deserved, here's hoping they go on and win it now.

Point 1 - Referee today was an absolute disgrace. Denied a certain penalty. Donnelly clearly fouled (should also have been yellow) at the end and no free given resulting ultimately in a two point swing. Got a funny text before the game about how McGrath was worth at least 3 points to Limerick.

Point 2 - There is unlikely to be too many if any at all retirements for next year. We are not a million miles off the standard with what we have. We do need some of these younger players that have had exposure this year to push on and make positions their own. I'm talking Richie Leahy, Conor Delaney, John Donnelly, Pat Lyng etc. Delaney should be at least tried at full back or even centre back. Leahy as we've all known has the talent, just needs to produce a consistent level of performance. Donnelly was immense today and can be a key player for us in the future. Would also like to see John Walsh, one of the most natural forwards in the county, given a fair crack of the whip in 2019 too. I think our strength in depth needs to be reviewed, especially defensively.

Point 3 - We were always going to be up against it in 2018. With two key players out of the country until May. Another recovering from a career threatening back injury. Retirement of one of the games greatest ever midfielders. Loads of new players being blooded. New structure which favoured having a settled team - as per Limerick today. You have to hope the inconsistency we saw with the new young players will level out in 2019. Doubt if any other county like Galway or Tipperary for example would have won a national title under the same circumstances.

Point 4 - Would agree that Cody got a lot wrong today and throughout the year. I'd also say that the nature of the new structure with game after game coming week after week dictated circumstances whereby it was difficult to give game time to players returning from injury and into form. Hopefully lessons will be learned in this regard and some experimentation can be undertaken through next year's league. Players like Cleere can be tried while also giving sufficient game time to players like Hogan & Murphy..

Point 5 - Don't take the bait from SquakBox or whatever he is called and Power whatever. When Galway and Tipp have won 36 let them come back and tell us about hurling. Until then, go do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

kk.man wrote: »
    Great post.
    Murphy should be a certain All Star but because Kilkenny don't reach the all Ireland the 'experts' probably won't pick him.

Simples. Send him to Galway for a month, we'll die his hair and pass him off as Skehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

I was really proud of the team this year , we don't have the same quality as years gone by , we me never have again , but what we do have is a good group of young players going in the right direction,
    I firmly believe that this year will bring them on a ton, thanks for the effort s lads roll on 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

brookville wrote: »

we've had a better year than most expected thanks lads for the year

This is quite simply untrue. At a minimum Kilkenny would have been expected to play in an All Ireland quarter final by being in the top 3 in Leinster. In fairness They did contribute to some exciting games even if some of that excitement was generated by Kilkenny’s historical reputation rather than immediate evidence of their capabilities. But in terms of actual achievement they achieved the minimum expected and did not have a better year than most expected. For them not to have reached an All Ireland quarter final would have meant not reaching the top 3 in Leinster or losing to a Joe MacDonagh team.

Congrats to Limerick, well deserved, here's hoping they go on and win it now.

Point 1 - Referee today was an absolute disgrace. Denied a certain penalty. Donnelly clearly fouled (should also have been yellow) at the end and no free given resulting ultimately in a two point swing. Got a funny text before the game about how McGrath was worth at least 3 points to Limerick.

I’m surprIsed that you reference the referee’s performance but neglect to mention the strange failure to send off Paddy Deegan for a clear red card offence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm pretty happy with Kilkenny's year, winning the league, making the Leinster final and blooding a host of new players is significant progress on last year. We have shown good ability to change up our gameplan when required, working the ball up the field with short stick passes, something we've never seen before.

Deegan has worked very well at corner back. Buckley can be very good at centre back but Kilkenny have to play to his strengths and allow himt, to set up attacks and not get bottled up.

James Maher in mid-field has been excellent, himself and Fogarty make a very good mid field partnership.

In the forwards we've seen flashes of promise from a lot of players even though none of them are the finished article. Keoghan, Donnelly, Leahy, Blanchfield, Scanlon, Ryan have all shown promise this year and you have to think that a few of them will progress further in the next year or 2.

If we could find a new full back in the league next year I think we'll be in good shape next year to have a right rattle at Galway and everyone else.

Disappointed we came up short today but I'm delighted with the progress made this year. I think our shooting let us down and not having Hogan fit and losing Wally today hurt a lot but all in all I think we are in good shape for next year.

If we could find a full back we could be in a very good position this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Negativity on here is unreal from both Kilkenny and non Kilkenny teams. Kilkenny won the league and in there only championship match where they hurled for a full 70 minutes they drew with Galway. Kilkenny are short maybe 2 or 3 defenders as are many other teams in the country. If we can find more consistency and have a little more composure we will challenge any team. Gone are the days of domination but we are not a million miles away like some here seem to think. Most other countries take great satisfaction in seeing KK beaten and every time it happens we have the usual suspects come on to this forum to tell us we're finished but you don't have to believe them. We have lists of players who were "terrible" today yet if Kilkenny had taken half their 16 sides what would the result have been. For all Limericks brilliance we created way more scoring chances. So how we have no chance next year is beyond me. Don't care about the usual fools coming on to say we're finished but I think Kilkenny people need to see the positives from this year and look forward to challenging again next year and fcuk the begrudgers.

Kilkenny are struggling for scoring forwards

They will always beat any team that doesn`t have the level of character they have but currently if the top teams match them they will struggle to score the 26 to 30 points that is being scored in munster

we were told that the leinster battlers would limit the totals but limerick and clare both hit 27 points

Powerhouse wrote: »
    This is quite simply untrue. At a minimum Kilkenny would have been expected to play in an All Ireland quarter final by being in the top 3 in Leinster. In fairness They did contribute to some exciting games even if some of that excitement was generated by Kilkenny’s historical reputation rather than immediate evidence of their capabilities. But in terms of actual achievement they achieved the minimum expected and did not have a better year than most expected. For them not to have reached an All Ireland quarter final would have meant not reaching the top 3 in Leinster or losing to a Joe MacDonagh team.

"Insecure people put others down to raise themselves up" Enjoy your own counties success whatever county it is and don't be so affected by Kilkenny people being optimistic about this season or next.

"Insecure people put others down to raise themselves up" Enjoy your own counties success whatever county it is and don't be so affected by Kilkenny people being optimistic about this season or next.

Optimism doesn’t enter into it. It’s a simple realism that they played seven games, won just three, and reached the minimum stage of the championship that they could possibly have reached unless absolute disaster befell them. I answered a point which said that they did better than expected. That was “optimism” gone mad as it is simply untrue. And I never mentioned next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I wouldn't be too excited about our prospects next year. When you really look at it, who did we beat this year.
    League: Waterford - loads of injuries and ended up losing all their Munster games
    Wexford : shown to be really limited
    Tipperary: a team in constant flux, players playing out of positions. They almost made it out of Munster. They are in a much better position than us
    Leinster Championship: Dublin - more composure and they would have won.
    Offaly - doesn't count
    Wexford - 9 points up, they really should have seen out the game.
    At the end of the day, it was a poor season for us. We are still all over the place in the backs and lack scoring forwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement