Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Sirsok wrote: »
    Anyone interested there's a good interview with John Mulhall here.

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-010-john-mulhall-ex-kilkenny-kildare/

That was a really good interview, thanks for the link. I might not agree with absolutely everything John said but there was an awful lot of sense in what he had to say, especially around the resilience in young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/618451/next-generation-to-learn-the-ropes-at-kilkenny-academy.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&s=08

Some interesting plans here, might need more details but it seems muldowney is focused on the things people on here were concerned about, like creative forward play, inclusive squad set ups and bridging the gap to u20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/618451/next-generation-to-learn-the-ropes-at-kilkenny-academy.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&s=08

Some interesting plans here, might need more details but it seems muldowney is focused on the things people on here were concerned about, like creative forward play, inclusive squad set ups and bridging the gap to u20.

Sounds positive but the one thing glaringly absent from any discussions I've heard so far is football. I've not seen a single mention of any plans to tackle the fact that football is largely ignored at underage level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Sounds positive but the one thing glaringly absent from any discussions I've heard so far is football. I've not seen a single mention of any plans to tackle the fact that football is largely ignored at underage level.

Most clubs will continue to have a handful of training sessions for football, just to tick that box ?
    Its a pity.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If there was a competition there clubs might try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

My biggest concern for development is the moving of u18 to u17, it is a big step up to adult hurling from u17 as the u19 club competition in Kilkenny is a joke.
    Minor at u18 was a fantastic competition with the county minor team so popular amongst hurling supporters as a lot of players are well known through the county from playing adult club level that year and the year before. Great exposure for supporters and players. The incentive of playing in Croke Park and televised All Ireland Semi Final and Final. A great competition

The success of the county minors over the last 20 years surely has some correlation to some of these club players exposure to adult club hurling and training.
    U17 is far to young. The u17 county team seems to have lost some of its glamour with the removal of playing in Croke Park and being televised going forward.

Village87 wrote: »
    My biggest concern for development is the moving of u18 to u17, it is a big step up to adult hurling from u17 as the u19 club competition in Kilkenny is a joke.
    Minor at u18 was a fantastic competition with the county minor team so popular amongst hurling supporters as a lot of players are well known through the county from playing adult club level that year and the year before. Great exposure for supporters and players. The incentive of playing in Croke Park and televised All Ireland Semi Final and Final. A great competition

The success of the county minors over the last 20 years surely has some correlation to some of these club players exposure to adult club hurling and training.
    U17 is far to young. The u17 county team seems to have lost some of its glamour with the removal of playing in Croke Park and not being televised going forward. I try follow as much hurling in Kilkenny as possible but I would not have a clue of most of the county Minor teams now compared to years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

U17 is far to young. The u17 county team seems to have lost some of its glamour with the removal of playing in Croke Park and being televised going forward.
    I dont see minor being u17 not 18 as a problem. It does help reduce the strain on some of the players playing to a higher level and it also reduces clashes with the leaving cert which is no harm at all.

under 17 isnt far too young at all. There is county teams from u14 on and having the first main inter county level at 3 years following the first set up is right and in terms of ltpd with players at age 16 when involved in this is right

Combining the move to under 17 with the age you are able to play adult is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Most lads nearly 19 doing the leaving cert now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

All the lads up to the age at U17 I've ever dealt with are in transition year going into 5th year. I've never had a 6th year. You actually are more likely to get caught with younger lads doing the Junior Cert. That extra year is huge from both a physical development and psychological development perspective. County minors used to be coming off the back of a year (or maybe even two for the elite) at senior schools level, now they're off the back of Junior. Massive difference.

When players left U18 the best were ready to walk in to a club adult team but now you have to be truly special to make the step up straight away.

The only positive is that players are so young that you get them embedded into your adult training for a year or two before they go to college.

I think the change has been terrible.

• Advertisement

All the lads up to the age at U17 I've ever dealt with are in transition year going into 5th year. I've never had a 6th year. You actually are more likely to get caught with younger lads doing the Junior Cert. That extra year is huge from both a physical development and psychological development perspective. County minors used to be coming off the back of a year (or maybe even two for the elite) at senior schools level, now they're off the back of Junior. Massive difference.

When players left U18 the best were ready to walk in to a club adult team but now you have to be truly special to make the step up straight away.

The only positive is that players are so young that you get them embedded into your adult training for a year or two before they go to college.

I think the change has been terrible.

It is ruining the underage in Kilkenny IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

The move to under 17 nationally and locally has been nothing short of a disaster.

The U-19 is now a token competition played in the summer without county players which leads to players losing interest not getting to play with their better counterparts and devaluing the competition. Then the championship is thrown on in the middle of the under 21 in the depths of winter on heavy pitches and clubs that go well in both have players getting flogged week in week out. Competitions pre covid dragging on until February the following year. I have discussed this with county board exec in the past and they are not for changing. Once you finish Under 17 now all players have is a league minus county players and a championship played from November onwards. Not really the way to be keeping lads playing our games.

It should never have one away from 14/16/18 IMO and it's just typical GAA, tinkering for the sake of tinkering.

Regarding Covid-19 and 2021 the first thing that should happen is forget about underage intercounty 2021. Play the local club league and Championships from June until September. The logistics of training and travelling for underage Intercounty matches is to challenging. It is a short enough year already and stopping underage club action for underage intercounty would be very disappointing for youngsters who already have had a very distributive and disappointing year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Have the pleasure of getting to sit in a record these interviews , this one is with Chap Cleere, talking about getting the call from Cody that he is gone from panel and a good bit more.

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-013-peter-chap-cleere-former-kilkenny-senior-hurler-turned-mayor/

A few good ones lined up in next few week and a good lot in archives all ready from episode 5, the likes of Richie Power and Eoin Larkin if anyone is interested.

If ye have any suggestions on people you wouldn't mind hearing a deep dive on lemme know!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Sirsok wrote: »
    Have the pleasure of getting to sit in a record these interviews , this one is with Chap Cleere, talking about getting the call from Cody that he is gone from panel and a good bit more.

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-013-peter-chap-cleere-former-kilkenny-senior-hurler-turned-mayor/

A few good ones lined up in next few week and a good lot in archives all ready from episode 5, the likes of Richie Power and Eoin Larkin if anyone is interested.

If ye have any suggestions on people you wouldn't mind hearing a deep dive on lemme know!

Would love to hear one from Michael Fennelly, Cha or Brian Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think Cha's would be good!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

greenspurs wrote: »
    I think Cha's would be good!

Have Paul Murphy on this week. Sound chap and a good interviewee, pretty open and honest about his retirement

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-015-paul-murphy-kilkennys-recently-retired-four-time-all-ireland-and-all-star-winner/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭blackcard

Interesting article in today's Independent where they rate all the county grounds in the country with Nowlan Park coming in at number 1. A lot of good work has been done over the years to bring it to where it is at the moment. Not sure if it is feasible to have floodlights installed or to have a covered stand either side of the Old Stand or seating on the City End. Great work has been carried out on the surface of the pitch itself, I think it has got the award for best pitch for the last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The houses objected to the stand been extended they said it would block out the light. Excellent ground staff the pitch is excellent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

That's Comermen for ya, tis the best we can do in the Park ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Grats wrote: »
    Revised Panel with J Bergin Conahy Shamrocks and M Carey Young Ireland added:

Shamrocks Ballyhale
    TJ Reid, Joey Holden, R Reid, D Mullen, A Mullen, E Cody, D Corcoran, B Cody

Dicksboro
    C Buckley, A Nolan

James Stephens
    C Browne, N Brassil, T Dwyer, E Guilfoyle, C Kenny

O'Loughlins
    P Deegan, H Lawlor, E O'Shea

Tullaroan
    P Walsh, T Walsh, M Keoghan

Bennettsbridge
    L Blanchfield, D Blanchfield

Danesfort
    R Hogan

Tullogher Rosbercon
    W Walsh

Comer
    C Fogarty, C Delaney, C Wallace

Freshford
    D Brennan

Glenmore
    E Murphy, A Murphy

Thomastown
    J Donnelly

G Ballycallan
    B Ryan

Rower Inistioge
    R Leahy

Conahy Shamrocks
    James Bergin

Young Irelands
    M Carey.

Posted the above 3 months ago. Back training from tomorrow, anybody any updates on panel?

Grats wrote: »
    Posted the above 3 months ago. Back training from tomorrow, anybody any updates on panel?

Is James Maher back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Is James Maher back.

Had forgotten that was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Leinster SHC

Kilkenny v Wexford/Laois
    Dublin/Antrim v Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭blackcard

me89 wrote: »
    Leinster SHC

Kilkenny v Wexford/Laois
    Dublin/Antrim v Galway
    Are these matches home/away/neutral venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Leinster Semis will be in Croke Park again I’d imagine this year..

On the KK panel, they are back this evening, believe all players fully available (no serious injury worries). Some of the players on previous page not on panel incl B Cody, C Kenny and Guilfoyle.

blackcard wrote: »
    Are these matches home/away/neutral venue?

Are they not going to be played in Croke park.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Are they not going to be played in Croke park.

Played Neutral. Seen as its a semi final and no crowds allowed to attend could possibly be in Carlow or Portlaoise also

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Played Neutral. Seen as its a semi final and no crowds allowed to attend could possibly be in Carlow or Portlaoise also

There's no way Kilkenny/Wexford would be played in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Mankbag wrote: »
    There's no way Kilkenny/Wexford would be played in Carlow.
    Given geography they might be happy to toss for home advantage, both panels would be well accustomed to the away venue for them too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement