Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Galway manager 2018:

Having started out in January, Lynskey says the players worked incredibly hard over the past few months.

"We had 70-something pitch sessions, 40 gym sessions. That's how much we wanted it this year. There is no secret to it, it's hard work."

110 collective training sessions in just over 7 months, including 40 pure gym
    For 16/17-year-olds, all of whom would have been training with club and school too during this time.

You gotta worry if that's where it is all going

When do people shout Stop? If this is seriously what is expected of young lads it's absolute madness. Are we going to go down the road of other sports where young lads are expected to train in the morning before school and again in the evening (hello Damien Duff! :rolleyes: ). All the time, it's more and more, because everyone else is doing it. Keep this up and it just adds to the obesity problems in children in this country, not reduces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

The game has moved on in the last 5 years or so because other teams have put these structures in place (ironically so they could compete with us but we've fallen asleep at the wheel so they've passed us out). To be honest don't I like a lot of the hurling we see at the minute but we can't get back to playing our style of hurling effectively until we have 20 to 25 guys how are physically ready to face a Galway or Limerick etc.

What did you think of Jackie Tyrrell's comment the other night that Cork's short passing game was designed to get around the fact that they didn't have the physical power of the "Limericks and Kilkennys"?

He seemed convinced Kilkenny is a physically powerful team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I have said this on here many times, but unless there is an excellent minor/u20 team on the way in the next 2 years, Killenny will go a decade if not more without winning an All Ireland. We are just no where near the standard to compete with Limerick, Galway and Tipperary. We need an u20 team like Tipps 2010 u21 team. They got great players from that team. We need to find at least 4 great players to win another All Ireland.

Didn't we beat Galway in a Leinster final last year? And Limerick in an All-Ireland semi the year before? And were in a fiercely, close, competitive All-Ireland with Tipp before being reduced to 14 men?

I wouldn't count beating 2 of the 3 teams mentioned in the championship in last 2 years being "no where near the standard to compete" with them.

Our era of scarely believably success is gone, and we have a lot of work to do with finding our best team, style, and development. However, to say we are not competitive is just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It's interesting that tipp have being slow to introduce u21 and u20 all Ireland winners into their team this year.
    Cork have alot of new players but it must be said we started our transition a few years ago and a few lads like leahy and blanchfield haven't really kicked on the way we liked.
    Big game Sunday we will probably see tj and a few back
    We will see a few changes in defence.
    The forwards probably Donnelly,mullen,mossy,bergin,tj and eoin cody
    We need to get the balance right in defence and midfield we haven't really found the right answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KIL v WEX
    E Murphy
    T Walsh H Lawlor P Deegan
    D Corcoran P Walsh C Browne
    R Reid C Buckley
    A Mullen J Donnelly M Keoghan
    J Bergin TJ Reid A Murphy
    Subs
    D Brennan
    J Holden
    M Carey
    D Blanchfield
    M Cody
    C Fogarty
    L Blanchfield
    J Maher
    E Cody
    R Hogan
    T O Dwyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

Surprised Eoin Cody isn't getting a start

It's a bit surprising that only darragh corcoran has come into defence after the performance last Sunday.I know we haven't got delaney or Darren mullen available at the moment but joey looks to be getting a raw deal.Richie Reid and Buckley doesn't seem to be working but yet we are persisting with this pairing.
    Numbers on backs don't mean much but I do think donnellys best position is 11.Alan Murphy and James bergin have done well so far but we need to be clever with out delivery.It will be interesting to see how we fare with the sweeper.

The match is off

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Wexford requesting a postponement. I thought it was meant to be a by if team couldn’t play because of covid case? Hard to see where they’d fit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

laneykin wrote: »
    Wexford requesting a postponement. I thought it was meant to be a by if team couldn’t play because of covid case? Hard to see where they’d fit it in.

No hurling fixtures next weekend. Wexford should have a full panel to chose from by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Grats wrote: »
    No hurling fixtures next weekend. Wexford should have a full panel to chose from by then.

I'd much rather the match than a bye. That match is the most serious championship preparation we'll get out of this league, given how weak the group is. Don't care about where we finish in the league.

I'd much rather the match than a bye. That match is the most serious championship preparation we'll get out of this league, given how weak the group is. Don't care about where we finish in the league.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Agreed

Planned my day around the match. was listed on gaago even after the start time. Thought I was missing something. Pay through the nose & have to come heree to figure out what's going on. oh well. LK v PL should be good.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

What is the story behind Wexford players nominating Clare players as close contacts and none in there own camp? Could be a perfectly logical reason for this but i find the situation strange

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Clare GAA statement issued today by county board PRO Michael O’Connor reads:

Clare GAA asked the two players who were deemed close contacts last week to step back from training and game activity once they were named and as a consequence have to isolate for the intervening 10 days from notification. Following voluntary testing of the two nominated Clare players they were deemed to be negative but will still be isolating.
    At all times Clare GAA teams adhere to the guidelines laid down by the HSE and the governing body of our sport. Clare GAA will take on board at all times the advice and support provided by the health authorities. Clare GAA will endeavour to ensure the strictest management of health and safety during Covid and non-Covid times for all Clare GAA teams and request that the clubs of the county do likewise as we now move into the playing season at levels.
    Clare GAA would like to wish the Wexford players a speedy recovery and finally congratulations our senior footballers and hurlers on their league wins yesterday in Newbridge and Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Clare GAA asked the two players who were deemed close contacts last week to step back from training and game activity once they were named and as a consequence have to isolate for the intervening 10 days from notification. Following voluntary testing of the two nominated Clare players they were deemed to be negative but will still be isolating.
    At all times Clare GAA teams adhere to the guidelines laid down by the HSE and the governing body of our sport. Clare GAA will take on board at all times the advice and support provided by the health authorities. Clare GAA will endeavour to ensure the strictest management of health and safety during Covid and non-Covid times for all Clare GAA teams and request that the clubs of the county do likewise as we now move into the playing season at levels.
    Clare GAA would like to wish the Wexford players a speedy recovery and finally congratulations our senior footballers and hurlers on their league wins yesterday in Newbridge and Portlaoise.

Is that tring to undercut what Lohan said last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

A lot of anger in Clare re this statement and its lack of support for Lohan. The issue in Clare is how 2 Clare players were singled out as close contacts however no Wexford player was. The case has potential to open a can of worms for all future games (club and county) unless the HSE clarify what they deem a close contact in the context of an outdoor hurling/football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Did Kilkenny get relegated when I wasn't looking? All the strong teams in the other group. What logic if any was applied when putting these groups together?

bla.bla.b wrote: »
    A lot of anger in Clare re this statement and its lack of support for Lohan. The issue in Clare is how 2 Clare players were singled out as close contacts however no Wexford player was. The case has potential to open a can of worms for all future games (club and county) unless the HSE clarify what they deem a close contact in the context of an outdoor hurling/football match.

Any anger is misdirected. The County Boards statement is what "official" statements usually are in clinging to the middle ground and reiterating how committed they are to upholding regulations.

Supporting Lohan implies that there is something to support. He very reasonably raised the question of how close contacts were chosen given that no other Wexford panel member was nominated (as far as we know). However, anyone with any broad anecdotal experience of Covid over the past year will have heard weird inconsistencies in nominating close contacts by the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Corrigible wrote: »
    Did Kilkenny get relegated when I wasn't looking? All the strong teams in the other group. What logic if any was applied when putting these groups together?

It's a bit of a joke really. As a wexford fan I was looking at the KK game as our first proper litmus test before championship and now it looks like we might not even get it. The teams in the other group have a definite advantage

• Advertisement

Like who?
    No one from those teams could be remotely considered "great", certainly not as yet.

I watched a number of them (Cadell, Brian Mc Grath, and Kehoe in particular) up close in 2020 Fitzgibbon and was not overly impressed.
    Morris is the most highly rated of those teams but I think he can be hot and cold
    I'd take Donnelly and the two Mullens over any of them.

Kilkenny have produced good minor teams for the last 7 years
    2014 Won
    2015 Robbed
    2016 Unlucky, mugged by a last min goal in Parnell
    2017 Beaten by a Pt by AI Winners
    2018 Beaten in final after taking out both Munster finalists
    2019 Beaten in final (by one of the biggest and best underage teams I've ever seen) after seeing off both Munster finalists again.
    2020 Looks like a very classy and pacy team

U20/21 has been disappointing but the idea that we have stopped producing good hurlers is nonsense

Look at the best Fitzgibbon squads, littered every year now with Kilkenny players.

Saying we are "nowhere near the standard to even compete with Galway, Tipp and Limerick" is just incorrect
    We demonstrably are very near in standard to the first two
    And on basis of what I have seen last two weeks, Limerick are not miles ahead of everyone, far from it.
    People are copping on to them, most importantly of all, refs are copping on to them
    Limerick have some serious thinking to do before the championship
    Their rate of fouling is atrocious.

I'd take J. Donnelly over any of them too. Call me crazy but I think he's the most consistent & as yet, best of the younger guys. Always makes an impact even if he's not scoring. Accurate when he shoots, really hard worker who is physical w/out giving away many frees w/clumsy tackles. when I rate him as the best so far I'm including Adrian in that group although it's a bit unfair given we've not see much of him & he's just now shaking off the cobwebs. The younger players are definitely stepping up more than they have in the previous few seasons. We might be in for a drought but I'm excited to see if this team can adapt & build. Defense needs Conor D. back for sure. Joey Holden too IMO. we'll see.

It's a bit of a joke really. As a wexford fan I was looking at the KK game as our first proper litmus test before championship and now it looks like we might not even get it. The teams in the other group have a definite advantage

Wexford can't have too many complaints in comparison with Kilkenny anyway. They will play the same National League games and then will have a quarter final ahead of the Kilkenny game in the Leinster semi final.

By the time either county plays opposition from the other League group any perceived advantage will hardly matter.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    When do people shout Stop? If this is seriously what is expected of young lads it's absolute madness. Are we going to go down the road of other sports where young lads are expected to train in the morning before school and again in the evening (hello Damien Duff! :rolleyes: ). All the time, it's more and more, because everyone else is doing it. Keep this up and it just adds to the obesity problems in children in this country, not reduces it.

This is the type of schedule I was involved in while in High school. Back then my HS had 8th graders at the same school(not common). Too young to be on the squad but we trained with them 6 days a week. sometimes double sessions. 2hrs before school & 3 after. Starting with a 7 mile run on pavement. an 8th grader here in the states is between 12 & 13. Add on the weight dropping issues which are similar to boxing & pretty extreme & dangerous. Follow up the long HS season w/Olympic or international style Freestyle/Greco Roman in spring and summer.

All that training beginning at a young age has left me w/serious hip & back issues severe enough to need multiple surgeries. We were a top 20 nationally ranked team & pushed very hard. In traveling nationally/internationally & training w/other top teams from the US & Europe, we weren't alone. While I'm proud of what I accomplished I can't say that I don't have some regrets and more so some anger at the adults who drove us too hard at such a young age. Having 13yo athletes training like that while fasting for days & not even hydrated, even running in place while dressed in a rubber suit(sweating out water weight on the bus to a match) & being expected to perform.

I think the focus for youth should be teaching the correct, healthy ways to train. Teaching how to jog properly. How much recovery is needed. Proper form in the gym. Correcting injury causing bad habits developed over the years.
    Just my experience & opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Talk of more positive cases in the Wexford camp. I will be surprised if the match goes ahead this weekend.

As stated above the standard in the other group is of a much higher standard to Kilkenny's group. Antrim have been the best team to watch in our group so far creating plenty of scoring chances in every match. Antrim are much more of a goal threat than Kilkenny at the moment.

Match fixed for 3pm next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    This is the type of schedule I was involved in while in High school. Back then my HS had 8th graders at the same school(not common). Too young to be on the squad but we trained with them 6 days a week. sometimes double sessions. 2hrs before school & 3 after. Starting with a 7 mile run on pavement. an 8th grader here in the states is between 12 & 13. Add on the weight dropping issues which are similar to boxing & pretty extreme & dangerous. Follow up the long HS season w/Olympic or international style Freestyle/Greco Roman in spring and summer.

All that training beginning at a young age has left me w/serious hip & back issues severe enough to need multiple surgeries. We were a top 20 nationally ranked team & pushed very hard. In traveling nationally/internationally & training w/other top teams from the US & Europe, we weren't alone. While I'm proud of what I accomplished I can't say that I don't have some regrets and more so some anger at the adults who drove us too hard at such a young age. Having 13yo athletes training like that while fasting for days & not even hydrated, even running in place while dressed in a rubber suit(sweating out water weight on the bus to a match) & being expected to perform.

I think the focus for youth should be teaching the correct, healthy ways to train. Teaching how to jog properly. How much recovery is needed. Proper form in the gym. Correcting injury causing bad habits developed over the years.
    Just my experience & opinion.

Couldn't agree more, that's why a professional S&C coach is needed to oversee the whole setup at all levels to prevent this crazy injury causing training. Thankfully I don't think there is any of the kind of training you describe going on in the Kilkenny underage setup. At the same time their not ready for the step up either and we've seen when facing Galway and Limerick what has happened us at underage.

You can have very young children doing weights and all sorts of training (if you wanted too), when done properly this doesn't cause any long term physical issues but probably does cause psychological ones. I'm not advocating for that, I think we should be introducing lads of 13 and 14 to the right way of doing training, keeping it fun and interesting and most of all safe. This is increased in time so that by the time these guys get to 19 and 20 their not far off or at the same level as the seniors. You can't do the kind of work required in a few months or a year its a gradual process in which you build up these boys to be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Village87 wrote: »
    Talk of more positive cases in the Wexford camp. I will be surprised if the match goes ahead this weekend.

As stated above the standard in the other group is of a much higher standard to Kilkenny's group. Antrim have been the best team to watch in our group so far creating plenty of scoring chances in every match. Antrim are much more of a goal threat than Kilkenny at the moment.
    Final decision on Thursday, I believe the Wexford panel are getting tested tomorrow and if there all negative game goes ahead, probably have test results Thursday morning.

Final decision on Thursday, I believe the Wexford panel are getting tested tomorrow and if there all negative game goes ahead, probably have test results Thursday morning.

Can you clarify if members of the panel were classified as close contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Can you clarify if members of the panel were classified as close contacts?
    anyone who was in the dressing room in Cusack Park was deemed a close contact.

• Advertisement

anyone who was in the dressing room in Cusack Park was deemed a close contact.

I don't remember reading anything about close contacts in the Wexford panel. Was that not part of the wonderment last week when 2 Clare players were deemed as close contacts but no Wexford players? When was it discovered that they're was close contacts?
    Their isolation period must be up by the weekend if the game is going ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement