Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Village87 wrote: »
    He had Noel Hickey behind him, JJ and Tommy each side, Mick Fenn and Cha/Lyng/ Rice in front of him, Eoin Larkin dropping back to help to. Could have brought his armchair with him to some matches.

You could make the same argument for all the above mentioned players. Hickey could have had a nap because he had Hogan in front and kavanagh and Tyrell either side of him.. you can't win 7 all Ireland's by as a passenger..
    In fairness you are consistent if nothing else..your like the prison guard in the shawshank grumbling cos the tax man would take some of his wind fall.. try look at the bright side an odd time..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

kk.man wrote: »
    Wow never knew that stat!..should have had more. Not my favourite CB by any stretch but he was some man to 'hold' the line and sit deep. JJ and Tommy were just legend.

I think we missed Brian Hogan a lot more than Henry during the 2010 AI final against Tipp. We wouldn't have conceded four goals if Brian Hogan was holding the line in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Village87 wrote: »
    He had Noel Hickey behind him, JJ and Tommy each side, Mick Fenn and Cha/Lyng/ Rice in front of him, Eoin Larkin dropping back to help to. Could have brought his armchair with him to some matches.

On another note, talk of covid outbreak in Kk camp

The 4 in a row team had very few players who were tagged for greatness aged 17-21 (the two youngest Cha and Richie Power being outliers)
    We would have expected Shefflin, JJ, and Tommy to have developed into good inter-county players but of course, we got a lot more than that

But no one would have said Jackie, Hogan, Lyng, Larkin, Gorta, Taggy, and even Eddie Brennan and Mick Fennelly were destined for greatness when they were young.

In fact, Cody's first 3 All Irelands were mined from a very bleak previous decade at underage.

I guess my point is a winning team creates its own momentum and greats emerge easily in a winning team.
    Would you have picked Hegarty as a HOTY 4 years ago?
    I wouldn't.

I remember seeing James Mc Carthy in his first few matches for Dubs a decade ago and was far from blown away, 8 All Irelands later.
    Cluxton let in 5 goals in 2010 Leinster final and didn't win his first AI till he was 30.
    There are 7-8 Dublin players walking around with 6, 7, and even 8 AI medals who would have taken your hand off if you had offered them just one a decade ago.
    No one had any of them marked for greatness.

We don't need 3-4 TJs, that isn't possible
    We need good inter-county hurlers (which we have) and 2/3 really special forwards
    We still have one all-time great in TJ in the form of his life, and Hogan is still dynamite in my opinion, and in Mullen and Donnelly I believe we have two of the very best forwards in the country
    Cody may also join them, but I don't believe he has done enough yet to be convinced.

I do however agree we will need a lot to fall into place this year to win an AI.
    Colin Fennelly is a loss and I fear we will be torn apart at back if not bolstered by the currently injured Conor Delaney and Darren Mullen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Delaney and D Mullen needed big time.

Throw in a decent game plan too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Grats wrote: »
    Delaney and D Mullen needed big time.

Throw in a decent game plan too.

It's a pity both these are injured.Darren mullen especially could of done with a good league under his belt.
    Delaneys injury is serious enough but hope to have him for the championship which isn't ideal.
    We have a positive covid case but early indications are the match should go ahead.Both teams will benefit from game Time and both won't want to lose.We will have at least one change in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

So are games going to be called off now if a player has covid? Should it not just be treated as an injury and do without the player? Was there not teams forced to play last year with multiple players missing? There will be games called off left right and centre this year if this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

So are games going to be called off now if a player has covid? Should it not just be treated as an injury and do without the player? Was there not teams forced to play last year with multiple players missing? There will be games called off left right and centre this year if this is the case
    if the kilkenny players tested yesterday all test negative then the match should go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

if the kilkenny players tested yesterday all test negative then the match should go ahead.

It's going ahead according to the journal just now, but doesn't seem like it's going to be televised anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Comerman wrote: »
    It's going ahead according to the journal just now, but doesn't seem like it's going to be televised anywhere
    think it's on GAAGO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Any team news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Any team news yet?

I assume it's a Wexican stand off between Cody and Davy not to release the team first.

Personally I see it as childish and actually shows weakness, are we afraid if we name our team on time that Davy will devise a game plan to beat us. This shows huge weakness in our ability to adapt on the field and on the line.

I thought the teams had to be named at least 24 hours before the game or the county is fined. Why are we wasting money that could go to clubs or underage teams on a fine like this. Just name the team and get in with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is it because a team was named ahead of last weekend and that is still the team?

I assume it's a Wexican stand off between Cody and Davy not to release the team first.

Personally I see it as childish and actually shows weakness, are we afraid if we name our team on time that Davy will devise a game plan to beat us. This shows huge weakness in our ability to adapt on the field and on the line.

I thought the teams had to be named at least 24 hours before the game or the county is fined. Why are we wasting money that could go to clubs or underage teams on a fine like this. Just name the team and get in with it.

Wexford team was named yesterday and released to Cairde members

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maireadf

Is the match on telly ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭kksaints

maireadf wrote: »
    Is the match on telly ?!

No, it's on GAAGo for €5.

Billy Ryan replaces Mossy for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Woeful harsh on Bergin

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Woeful harsh on Bergin

Missed that, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Woeful harsh on Bergin

Doesn't seem too happy whatever is going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good performance so far. Defense as a whole has done very well. Play is been mixed up nicely with both low and high passes. Bergin's substitution was strange, he was playing well enough finding space and wasn't injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

KK 2-15 Wex 0-7 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Woeful harsh on Bergin

Bergin had a poor game. Got plenty of ball. Did nothing with it.

Didn't think we'd have things this easy. Wexford look lost and devoid of ideas. I'd expect a reaction in the second half. But for a lot of the Wexford fouling we might have had another few goals. Alan Murphy playing really well his points were all class and he's working super hard. Donnelly playing well creating for others. Thought Bergin was a bit harsh done by but dropping 2 balls after rounding your man was poor, just not his day. TJ, R Reid and Padraig all playing very well. Browne has shut down their main scoring threat and the full back line is playing great except when Paddy Deegan goes forward, jasus his waste of ball is chronic, defending well though.

Be interesting to see if we can keep it going or do we collapse in the second half like we did in games last year's.

Oh I forgot Billy Ryan's 1-02 on his first day back from the groin injury. Doing fierce well.

Didn't think we'd have things this easy. Wexford look lost and devoid of ideas. I'd expect a reaction in the second half. But for a lot of the Wexford fouling we might have had another few goals. Alan Murphy playing really well his points were all class and he's working super hard. Donnelly playing well creating for others. Thought Bergin was a bit harsh done by but dropping 2 balls after rounding your man was poor, just not his day. TJ, R Reid and Padraig all playing very well. Browne has shut down their main scoring threat and the full back line is playing great except when Paddy Deegan goes forward, jasus his waste of ball is chronic, defending well though.

Be interesting to see if we can keep it going or do we collapse in the second half like we did in games last year's.

It would want to be some almighty collapse we are absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

citykat wrote: »

As a neutral watching I thought he was doing ok, was surprised with that call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

citykat wrote: »

22 minutes into his 3rd game in a KK jersey. Leave him on for the half and see if he can turn it around. Its a nothing league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

22 minutes into his 3rd game in a KK jersey. Leave him on for the half and see if he can turn it around. Its a nothing league game.

Cody has the reputation of being ruthless. That was fine when he'd an unbelievable bench to call on 10 years ago. I think you've to give lads a longer chance if you want to develop them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Conor Fogarty & James Maher on for Buckley & Billy Ryan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement