Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not mad on our 2nd half performance so far. Losing a lot of our puckouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We've got a couple of nice scores from play in the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭kksaints

Improved after the second half water break. Good win. Didn't gave them any chance to get back into the match. Deegan did a lot better on the ball in the second half. Richie Reid did very well I thought and he used the ball nicely. TJ was at his free scoring best. Just a little concerning how many puckouts we lost in the second half. James Maher didn't do particularly well after he came on in the half forward line, should be in midfield.

Puckouts were poor but handy runout.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

All long puck outs in the second half. We competed well enough on the ones that were accurate but probably didn't win enough of them. Murphy also hit a few straight to wexford. I wonder was the change because Wexford pushed up or if Cody was keeping the powder dry for another day. Wexford were poor on day but you can only beat what's in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hard to make much out of that match. I think only 3 of our starting forwards scored. Wexford got a lot of space in the second half but essentially today was only shadow boxing.
    Game seemed to pass Cillian Buckley by completely. Adrian Mullen very quiet. Good to get a run into Billy Ryan. Paddy Deegan's distribution poor. Huw Lawlor did okay. Seems to be a bit more pace in our half back line.

I honestly didn't even know Buckley was playing

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

big_drive wrote: »
    As a neutral watching I thought he was doing ok, was surprised with that call

His body language after been taken off would suggest he agrees with you.spitting the dummy out doesn't work with cody he might need a cushion for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

His body language after been taken off would suggest he agrees with you.spitting the dummy out doesn't work with cody he might need a cushion for the summer.

A bit harsh, I'd reckon he was disappointed as any player would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

How is he supposed to react? I maintain what I said at the time: it was a ridiculously harsh decision. Grand, he dropped 3 balls but his movement inside was brilliant and how far up the field he's collecting the ball when it's delivered is a great asset. We should be persisting with that and whipping a lad off after 22 minutes in a meaningless league game that you're comfortable in is complete bollocks. Next time he's on the field now that's lurking in the back of his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jeez. Hopefully Bergin isn’t that mentally fragile that he lets an early substitution in a meaningless league match affect him.

Unreal, Bergin was as disappointed as anyone to be subistuted so don't destroy the chap just yet. let's focus on the team as a whole. They played well as a unit with the exception of a few incidents. Early days

How is he supposed to react? I maintain what I said at the time: it was a ridiculously harsh decision. Grand, he dropped 3 balls but his movement inside was brilliant and how far up the field he's collecting the ball when it's delivered is a great asset. We should be persisting with that and whipping a lad off after 22 minutes in a meaningless league game that you're comfortable in is complete bollocks. Next time he's on the field now that's lurking in the back of his head.
    That's what some of the Kilkenny lads of the past such competors eddie brennan tj richie power all dropped or taken off at times.cody has to be ruthless and drive higher standards if we want to get back to the top.2 games away from championship

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In fairness it's not just that he was taken off early and that might be bad for his development. It's that he was having a pretty decent game, a few mistakes but he was working and getting on ball. Not to single anyone out, but can anyone honestly say he was the worst of our forwards in the opening twenty minutes? I can think of at least one who had done nothing whatsoever at that stage and a long time after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

At the time I thought Bergin looked very disappointed in the way an injured player has to go off. I've heard since, according to local radio that in fact he was carrying a knock.

Grats wrote: »
    At the time I thought Bergin looked very disappointed in the way an injured player has to go off. I've heard since, according to local radio that in fact he was carrying a knock.

Enough said if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

Only another 2 matches before the championship starts so players are running out of chances to impress. Conor Delaney out injured as is Richie Leahy. So giving a stab at some of the team
    Eoin Murphy- even though he hasn't been as good as 2008
    ??
    Huw Lawlor
    ??
    ??
    Padraig Walsh
    ??
    Richie Reid
    ??
    John Donnelly
    ??
    Billy Ryan
    ??
    TJ
    ??

7 probables.
    3 forward positions between Keoghan, Alan Murphy, Adrian Mullen, Bergin, Cody. Richie Hogan, Blanchfield, Dwyer as subs.
    Buckley, Leahy and Maher contesting 2nd midfield spot.

Tommy Walsh, Deegan, Delaney, Wallace, Joey Holden contesting 2 cornerback positions.
    Corcoran, Browne, Conor Delaney if not in full back line, David Blanchfield contesting wing back positions.
    If all were fit, I would choose the following team
    Murphy
    Walsh
    Lawlor
    Delaney
    Corcoran
    Walsh
    Browne
    Reid
    Leahy
    Donnelly
    Mullen-has to improve
    Keoghan
    Ryan
    TJ
    Cody
    I'm sure that I have forgotten some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It was nice to get the win yesterday but I wouldn't read much into it.There was definitely a feel of a challenge game towards it.Davey definitely playing mind games but it's a dangerous game because it's not as easy turn things on.I doubt he went out to lose but he left a few of his starters on the bench and lads like chin looked tired early in the game. I would expect the probable leinster semi final to much different but the positives I thought for us is we are slowly getting better and more comfortable with the short passing.
    Yesterday we figured out how to play against the sweeper.We flooded that area and played some good ball down the side.Foley is better than Liam og as sweeper but hopefully we are finally adapting.We had lads like Alan Murphy back on his half back back line starting the attack.
    While corcoran is a still raw himself and browne give us plenty of pace in that line.
    I'd still like to see us try something in midfield but cody seems keen on Tommy and deegan corner backs and although delaney will be struggling to make it back he will slot in somewhere.Joey not in his plans which seems harsh but the game we are playing working it mightnt suit him
    Hopefully they persist with donnelly center forward I see him as our long term number 11
    Adrian mullen still has a bit to go but every game he gets is better than a few training sessions.
    Alan Murphy got a few lovely points yesterday and infairness to him he has done well anytime he came on.
    Billy Ryan was electric yesterday and is much better running on the ball.He is a confidence player and if he could add a bit of consistency to his game like leahy they could be very important players for us.
    We have a long list of injuries and time is running out if we are to get gametime into them although you wouldn't think that was Billy Ryan's first game back.
    Wally,brasill,leahy,hogan,mullen,delaney are out which isn't ideal
    James maher and Adrian mullen have yet to get up to speed hopefully gametime will bring them on
    We will probably see a few changes for the laois game id like to see bergin get another go.Id also like to see tadgh dwyer get a run out.
    Clare the following week will be a good test and the last run out before championship.We have a terrible record the last few years in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

How have we managed to clock up so many injuries given collective training only started 6 or 7 weeks ago after such a long lay off?
    Have they all occurred since collective training resumed?
    Is Niall Brassil one of those injured? Would have liked to see him given a shot at half back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If one was to be naive and say that lads were training individually without proper supervision then a return to collective training would lead to an increased risk of injury due to the sudden uplift in workload.

If one were to be skeptical they could say that collective training probably didn't restart 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Take your pick.

• Advertisement

minty81 wrote: »
    How have we managed to clock up so many injuries given collective training only started 6 or 7 weeks ago after such a long lay off?
    Have they all occurred since collective training resumed?
    Is Niall Brassil one of those injured? Would have liked to see him given a shot at half back

Brassil is out for rest of year. Any update on Delaney and why has Wallace disappeared?

Brassil is out for rest of year. Any update on Delaney and why has Wallace disappeared?

I believe Wallace's hamstring is gone. What's Brassil's bother?

Comerman wrote: »
    I believe Wallace's hamstring is gone. What's Brassil's bother?

That's pity for Wallace. Brassil is hamstring too as is Aidan Nolan. Delaney?

That's pity for Wallace. Brassil is hamstring too as is Aidan Nolan. Delaney?
    Was told first it was his quad but have since been told that his hamstring is gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

I re-watched this game again today. Wexford had about 8 yellow cards two of which were given to L.Ryan as far as I could see. Why was he not set off? Most of the WX yellows were in around the 20.
    Thought P.Deegan, who seems to get a bit of stick on here had a great game.
    Also noticed that when WX stopped our short puck outs our threat up front diminished as their sweeper had more space when our long balls were not dropping around the 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

Corrigible wrote: »
    Also noticed that when WX stopped our short puck outs our threat up front diminished as their sweeper had more space when our long balls were not dropping around the 20.

That might be the only thing about Sunday's game which is an indicator towards 3rd July. Will be a very different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny wont be winning much with Deegan in the team. When opposition like Waterford, Galway and Antrim targeted him and put a decent forward on him he really struggled. Anytime we play Wexford he is usually free. Davy didn't give away much the weekend

A side from Buckley is there any other Boro lads on the panel. Sheehan, Kenny, Nolan ? Getting a poor return from a very good club team in Kilkenny. Or do these lads even want to play for Kilkenny. I heard occasions of being asked in but declined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

How do people feel about the new way Kilkenny are approaching their play - will it pay dividends later in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

formerlyET wrote: »
    How do people feel about the new way Kilkenny are approaching their play - will it pay dividends later in the summer?

Would like to see it against someone decent, the league is way too lopsided. But it's not exactly new either, we have varied up ball a lot the last couple of years but we have a habit of abandoning the approach at key moments when pressure comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Would like to see it against someone decent, the league is way too lopsided. But it's not exactly new either, we have varied up ball a lot the last couple of years but we have a habit of abandoning the approach at key moments when pressure comes on.

Same as most teams. It'll be interesting to see how the Cork game plan goes against Limerick- focused on running the ball, and creating overlaps for goals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement