Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

You're very negative mullin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Powerhouse wrote: »
    This is quite simply untrue. At a minimum Kilkenny would have been expected to play in an All Ireland quarter final by being in the top 3 in Leinster. In fairness They did contribute to some exciting games even if some of that excitement was generated by Kilkenny’s historical reputation rather than immediate evidence of their capabilities. But in terms of actual achievement they achieved the minimum expected and did not have a better year than most expected. For them not to have reached an All Ireland quarter final would have meant not reaching the top 3 in Leinster or losing to a Joe MacDonagh team.

Would you ever shag off the Kilkenny forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

did the sunday game mention the blanches penalty incident or donnellys one near the end i missed the start of it.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too excited about our prospects next year. When you really look at it, who did we beat this year.
    League: Waterford - loads of injuries and ended up losing all their Munster games
    Wexford : shown to be really limited
    Tipperary: a team in constant flux, players playing out of positions. They almost made it out of Munster. They are in a much better position than us
    Leinster Championship: Dublin - more composure and they would have won.
    Offaly - doesn't count
    Wexford - 9 points up, they really should have seen out the game.
    At the end of the day, it was a poor season for us. We are still all over the place in the backs and lack scoring forwards.
    we're in transition blooding a lot of youngsters we should learn from this limerick have learned from our defeat last year in the park.
    we pushed galway very hard both days and lost against a good limerick side with much more recent underage success than us by 2 points after driving alot of wides.
    id say wexford played there best hurling against us for 40 mins but like most davey teams they get tired around july.
    i think dublin were the most unlucky team and will be a threat in leinster.
    tipp are also going through a bit of a transition with a lot of the 2010 crop still playing lads like mickey cahill and bonner have struggled for form.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Except the potential goals were stopped by good play, but the unforced wides were down to poor play. I'd expect better analysis from a KK poster tbh.

Your own analysis of what I said is a bit peculiar - read it again - I was not comparing one against the other - you are though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

conor05 wrote: »
    I think even Brendan Cummins admitted today he has never seen a goalkeeper make saves like Murphy has.
    And the funny thing is he would probably do a job for us in the forwards aswel!!

Yes that should be a consideration next year along with moving P Walsh to the wing,bringing on Donnelly and Leahy, sticking w/ Maher and shaking up the back room team.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

brookville wrote: »
    did the sunday game mention the blanches penalty incident or donnellys one near the end i missed the start of it.
    Nope. Not one mention of either.
    Also what would a keeper ever have to do to win man of the match if Murphy can't win it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

My understanding is that they're the weekend of the 12th August

The first round was cancelled, the second round was played, I think the third round was deferred. Do you know which round of the club championship will resume will be played next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not too sad about today. We're not AI winning standard at the moment and to be quite honest I'd rather not spend my hard earned on a lost cause. Best of luck to all teams left but bar Galway they're on a hiding to nothing. They'll get their arses handed to them. I'd be shocked if Cody stands down. There's only one way he'll leave, in a box. Looking forward to the club starting up again now.

citykat wrote: »
    Not too sad about today. We're not AI winning standard at the moment and to be quite honest I'd rather not spend my hard earned on a lost cause. Best of luck to all teams left but bar Galway they're on a hiding to nothing. They'll get their arses handed to them. I'd be shocked if Cody stands down. There's only one way he'll leave, in a box. Looking forward to the club starting up again now.

i agree with all the above but to be honest and pobably not right criticising him but i was very dissapointed with cody starting lennon and lyng i dont think it was even fair starting pat lyng he hasnt played since april .Lennon got a roasting last year against gleeson and roasted against clare in the league his not up to it but after putting a league into delaney his after being harshly treated.
    Richie reid would of being a better option than the 2 above mentioned but he has also slipped well down the pecking order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

I’m surprIsed that you reference the referee’s performance but neglect to mention the strange failure to send off Paddy Deegan for a clear red card offence.

The high charge on Tj Reid was dangerous in the first half it should have been a red a player like him does not stay down for nothing not like the limerick player when he got up the ref had his back turned kicking at paddy Deegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Pat Treacy wrote: »
    The high charge on Tj Reid was dangerous in the first half ia player like him does not stay down for nothing .

He seemed okay when he took the free immediately afterwards to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

He seemed okay when he took the free immediately afterwards to be fair.

It was the tackle I was talking about not the free he took afterwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Well beaten. But could have got over the line the 7 wides in a row after half time killed us.
    Wally big loss would have caused havoc on that fullback line.
    Disappointing not to have Delaney involved in championship after a good league.
    Can't understand how this team is being picked
    How do lyng and Lennon and Ryan get parachuted in .alyward start 2 Leinster finals get 2 mins today. More examples like it with Donnelly. Leahy.this has to have players scratching their heads.
    About 5th in Ireland is where we are.
    On a side note .just talking to lads after the match .is the new structure just about milking
    The punter how we didn't have a double header in thurles today is a disgrace. The crowd that travelled to cork yesterday proves this.
    People will just stop going.
    And now for about 20 games of ****e football
    Meanwhile the club can rot. €

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Agree with the comments regarding Lyng and Lennon.
    Agreed this year we have brought a lot of new players onto this panel.
    But yesterday we were outplayed by a limerick side that
    Had four players under 22 in the forwards.
    Had two players U22 in midfield.
    Had a full back line of players all under 24/25 in varying ages.
    We got hammered in U21 last year. A lot on here said we are fine good lads still coming through.
    Reality is Limericks youngsters stood up to our seasoned lads and beat them. And our youngsters were years off there’s yesterday.
    Cody young lads are years off senior grade standard, yet limericks are able to be dropped in, and perform very well.
    The standard of U21 level hurling in kk is poor and is killing the county team.
    Kk hurling needs a reality check.
    Minors yesterday destroyed by Galway as were our U21s a few weeks back. Minors destroyed by Dublin a few weeks back.
    Kk teams lack drive, awareness, good interlink team play cuteness.
    Kieran’s is not the epicenter of kk hurling, and the reality is they have won what they have, as the level of opposition competition in that grade has dropped.
    There’s week after week of excuses on here for this and that, time for a lot of people to realise that change is needed in kk or we could be 10+ years waiting for the next All Ireland.
    Kk have no;
    full back
    Corner back
    Centre back ( Buckley is a wing back)
    Midfielder to partner Maher, Fogarty is struggling. And Maher is really needed as a half forward where if played he would be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Dionysis wrote: »
    We got hammered in U21 last year. A lot on here said we are fine good lads still coming through.
    Reality is Limericks youngsters stood up to our seasoned lads and beat them. And our youngsters were years off there’s yesterday.
    Cody young lads are years off senior grade standard, yet limericks are able to be dropped in, and perform very well.
    Minors yesterday destroyed by Galway as were our U21s a few weeks back. Minors destroyed by Dublin a few weeks back.
    Kieran’s is not the epicenter of kk hurling, and the reality is they have won what they have, as the level of opposition competition in that grade has dropped.
    There’s week after week of excuses on here for this and that, time for a lot of people to realise that change is needed in kk or we could be 10+ years waiting for the next All Ireland.
    Kk have no;
    full back
    Corner back
    Midfielder to partner Maher, Fogarty is struggling. And Maher is really needed as a half forward where if played he would be very good.

Completely 100% agree. We are going down the route of the Cork County board attitude. We are Kilkenny we don't have to work at things.
    Our underage players are not up to scratch. A review at the way we do things in Kilkenny needs to be looked at.
    Its not an over reaction. Some posters just won't admit that we are falling behind considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mocker

This was a tough one to lose but on the day Limerick deserved it but we could have nicked it.
    In hindsight we would have been better losing 1st day v Galway by point or 2 rather than putting everything into both Galway games & not being 100% for yesterday..
    2 out of the 3 late changes backfired & Walter was a massive loss as well. Donnelly & Alyward should have started & either Delaney/Cleere.
    90% of our ball was one dimensional longballs into forwards which are very easy to read.
    That said the spirit & attitude was what you would expect from a Cody team & looking at him last night he looked particularly upset as he had put his heart & soul into it this year as ever.
    I think it really is 50/50 if he will continue next year as he hasn't gone 3 years without an AI in his tenure & he might decide enough is enough. If he does continue he probably needs a new background team & fresh ideas e.g reduce longball game, release P Walsh out the field, drop couple of the long serving players - depends on if he has the appetite to go through all that at this stage.
    We are not too far off the pace & winning the league, introducing new players (trip to Australia chance for good team bonding) & the spirit shown gives some hope for next year. These days new players need 2/3 years strength & conditioning in order to get to inter county levels. Galway are the standard bearers at present & it is hard to see anyone stopping them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree totally kilkenny boy.have felr the suppirters have been milked the past 3 weeks and not fair on players.xtra time should have been played furst day v galway.I for 1 wont be renewinf season ticket next year not the value it was.any team pkaying 3 games in a row are on a hiding to nothing.probably why cody tried to freshen it up bur backfired.bad decision by ref not to give free to donnelly at crucial point.2 point swing and pribably cost us along with tge liss of wally.

Kk have no;
    full back
    Corner back
    Kk have no;
    full back
    Corner back

i do ageee with you i think like last week our half back line didnt give our full back line much protection but limerick done some unbelievable running inside and the diagonal ball coming in really stretched us.
    i think deegan infairness to him while his not the stylish should be given time at corber back this is his first year there.I do think it was a mistake not to try corner backs in the league only joey and deegan.
    good teams are built on dominant half back lines and i think we chopped and changed here to much and couldnt settle but i think if we could get walsh and buckley out to wing back it would help our definsive unit.
    i thought fogarty struggled to reach his heights this year although he worked hard he looked jittery yesterday but he has being chipping in with the odd score.Maher has being very consistent and is mad for work and has improved his shooting hopefully he can kick on now.
    despite us having poor underage recent teams i thought donnelly and leahy showed real class when they came on and blanchfield and billy ryan worked very hard.Players like scanlon and sheehan look lively bit they need to fill out.
    mossy and lyng are similar that there not scorers but workers and i didnt think there was room for the 2 of them starting yesterday.
    cody brought in 50 lads at the start of the year and has an idea what he has but hopefully a few lads can put their hand up in the club campaign i wouldnt give up on lads like john walsh yet.

Right my thoughts:

Starting Lyng, Lennon and Mossy were all huge mistakes in my opinion. Nothing personal against any of them and they all work hard but they were the wrong calls. Lyng might work down the line as a half back if needed but he just doesn't have the hurling to be effective as a forward. Bizarre decision to parachute him in. Lennon was started to stop Hegarty at half forward and it didn't work and how he lasted the 70 is beyond me. Mossy has been shot physically for most of the championship in my opinion. He's only 19/20 and only sat his Leaving Cert last year and he's struggled with the speed and physicallity of the men he's been playing against. Yesterday it was clear he wasn't able for it after 15 minutes and Morrissey was cleaning him out.

Also thought Cody pulling Fennelly to the side of the field to give him a bollocking was shocking bad form and completely unnecessary. There's ways of doing things and that was ****.

Waiting until 10 to go for Donnelly was stupid. The lad was warming up for 15 minutes. Stop talking about it and make the ****ing change.

In terms of our style of play as much as we like to paint ourselves as guardians of traditional hurling I don't think we can persist with a 3 man full forward line in a 13-14-15 set up. There's nowhere to deliver the ball and it limits the movement of the inside line as they can really only run in a straight line out or play narrow and run to the wings. That has to change for anything else to change. It doesn't matter who plays if this persists. Pull the 3rd man out to the half line which should give you enough bodies to allow Bucks to drop in front of the full back line who are being hung out to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think some of the comments on here are going a little over board we only lost by 2 points yesterday, we never got a break of the ball the whole game and had some crucial decisions go against us at vital stages. Had Wally or even Kevin Kelly been there yesterday I think we could have got over the line. I think there are positives to take from yesterday's game the performances from Maher who, in the first half especially, was excellent and Leahy and Donnelly who were very good when coming off the bench. I think through out the year these three players have shown they are more than good enough to play at this level they just need to be more consistent with there performances but they are young and this will come in time. The same could be said for Conor Delaney, Luke Scanlon, Blanchfield and Billy Ryan, they have shown that they can play at this level now they need to go and start doing it consistently. Like many of the comments above I would agree that I thought starting Lyng and Lennon was a big mistake yesterday, Lyng is a good lad and tries his hardest but I don't think is good enough to play in the forwards at this level. Lennon has got loads of opportunites over the last couple of years and has never looked like an intercounty player and was very poor yesterday. That being said I think Cody and the management have had a good year and they deserve a lot of credit.

All that being said I do agree that there are a lot of issues we do need to sort out in the team. Our full back line again was really poor and taken to the cleaners again yesterday. We've all been sayin it here for probably 2 years now but Padraig Walsh isn't a full back and hopeful now he'll be moved back out the pitch to a more natural position for him. The big problem we are going to have is to try and find a replacement with no real standout name ready to step in there. Both our corner backs were poor again yesterday. Murphy looks a completely out of form and looks a pale shadow to the player he was a few years ago. Deegan, for all his hard work and great effort, looks too slow to play corner back and was badly exposed again yesterday, I wonder would he be a better option at half back or maybe midfield? Joey has had a good year and has played well at half back the last few weeks but I'd like to see him go back to corner back. If we had a half back line of Walsh-Cleere-Buckley I think it would be a good base to build the team around. Like Murphy, Conor Fogarty's form has been dipping the last few years and again was poor yesterday. I think we will a need another league next year like we had this year where we are going to have to try more players escpecially in the full back line.

On a side note a lot of people talking about Conor Delaney, I have it from a very reliable source that he was dropped for disciplinary reasons and that is why we haven't seen anything of him since the game in Salthill.

I've heard the same but for something like releasing the team. If it is something as small as that then it seems ridiculous to bench him for the next 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I've heard the same but for something like releasing the team. If it is something as small as that then it seems ridiculous to bench him for the next 4 games.

To be honest not 100% of all the ins and outs of it, think this may have been the start of it but seems to be more serious and from what I heard he's very lucky to be still on the panel.

To be honest not 100% of all the ins and outs of it, think this may have been the start of it but seems to be more serious and from what I heard he's very lucky to be still on the panel.
    yea heard there was a bust up alright and it probably explains why he wasnt considered after a good league.I would of had cleere/browne or morrissey ahead of lennon yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

My concern is that the defence has been poor all year yet nothing has changed. If cleere is fit for the bench he's fit to play yet he's been on the bench the last few games yet not brought on. Regarding delaney if it is disciplinery issues drop him for a game not 4 if you want to win games you have to field your strongest team and that hasn't happened I'd have liked to see browne and cleere get game time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

brookville wrote: »
    yea heard there was a bust up alright and it probably explains why he wasnt considered after a good league.I would of had cleere/browne or morrissey ahead of lennon yesterday.
    Cody told him he wasn't doing enough on the ball when he had it, that was all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Interesting comments from Tommy Timber yesterday on a post match interview. He says KK couldn't drive themselves on to win yesterday because they didn't hate Limerick enough, the hatred wasn't there with Limerick as much as with other opponents. Very revealing into the psyche of Kilkenny hurling/people in general. I was rather disgusted by it.

Maybe you could Talk to Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

I think we had a very decent year, we introduced many new players and were in transition but next year we have to kick on like Limerick have this year. I hope Cody stays on. The players have a year with each other and they have a great team spirt. The. Young lads like leahy donnolly need to become more consistent because they're more than good enough. I think Cody has the players to make a very strong team he just needs to find a setted 15 that works and needs lads like alyward hogan Kevin kelly cleere to stay injury free and get as much hurling into them as possible.

There was a lot of strange decisions and a weird vibe about our team in championship. The random starts of o Shea Lennon lyng Billy Ryan, the late changes to the team and then spells in games where we drove wide after wide after wide where even tj couldn't score. We could never really push on and drive games home for some reason yet we were always there in the game.

Looking forward to the club scene starting up again, my early prediction for the championship are Ballyhayle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

digzy wrote: »

Galway will win the all Ireland and the cats were closest to them.
    You do realise the AI championship doesn't finish when KK are knocked out right?

• Advertisement

Ah well, the tables have turned on these two counties heretofore. KK will be trotting after us for the next forty or so years after yesterday.

Who was your man that fella Jim Farrol, was it? No, Jim Tisels? No, twas Jacky, Jacky Tyrell, that's him. Didn't he write a book last year revealing the lot about the way you guys do ye're business with regard to ye're approach to hurling. Tut tut that was an awful mistake ye made, of course with Cody's stamp of approval into the bargain. Talk about shooying yourself in the foot, own goals etc etc. That was a major miscalculation on ye're part there. Now ye've been relegated to the whipping boys of Leinster and the sympathy cases of the A I series, an awful shame but ye've only ye'reselves to thank. Off to the wilderness now for ye. Good luck and thanks.

A grown man typed this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement