Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

kksaints wrote: »
    Isn't that one of the trial events for the return of spectators?

Well if they are trying to deter big crowds - they are going the right way about it!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Is it because of TV, RTE 2 are showing it live, fitting it in around Euro coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Was always going to be an awkward league, hard to know if we’ve learned much but there has been some encouraging signs. Our forwards are definitely working the ball around themselves much better with shorter stick passes, the delivery in has been better than previous years but needs work and has to be done more often. Weather we can do this in Championship hurling is another thing. When teams run at us we don’t know what to do which is a real issue, as is our own puck out. Murphy hits a few good medium length ones but when we really need to win our own puck out we rarely do which is also very worrying as our fielding isn’t great and even if we do win it our players are just bottled up.

Mullen got a good league in him which is great. Mossy and cody have improved greatly. Bergin proved to be a sharpshooter and could be a good sub to have but question marks still there. Richie Reid has his position at midfield and could be a good partner for leahy, although both their shot selections can be questionable. 2-9 is the real worry for me as we have the forwards but they need those out to the pitch to help them out more. Delaney will come back in but it’s hard to see Darren Mullen be thrown into a championship game from the start. The Wexford game is make or break for both teams. Lots of our players had good league campaigns last year and then disappointed in championship hopefully that doesn’t happen again. I agree that we can beat anyone on our day but i don’t think we have the consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Heard Conor Delaney in real trouble and his issue is worse than previously thought.

Heard that Joey and Brassil left the panel during the week. Not sure on the voracity of this news but would be pretty damning if so.

Hopefully I'm wrong about all 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Heard Conor Delaney in real trouble and his issue is worse than previously thought.

Heard that Joey and Brassil left the panel during the week. Not sure on the voracity of this news but would be pretty damning if so.

Hopefully I'm wrong about all 3

That's a real shame for Delaney, and Kilkenny. He's badly needed in that full back line.

I suggested to colleagues during the week that I wouldn't be surprised if Joey walked. He's been treated poorly during the league. And now with Delaney out, management ought to regret how they dealt with Holden.

Brassil dropping out is a mystery unless his injury has forced him to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The best of luck to our ladies in Croke park tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Attended a KK development squad session today. As a parent I decided to stay on and watch. I'm involved in underage club teams myself so I thought I might pick up some idea's. How wrong I was, drills were so dated, bar one possession drill the others were prehistoric. These players are supposed to be the best from their clubs, at least give them some challenging drills.

Session went as follows:
    20 minutes warm up
    40 minutes drills
    20 minutes naming teams and chat about how they wanted them to play
    10 minute match.

10 minute match, come on. All the boys want to do is hurl not be given a 20 minute speech beforehand.

KK Co.Board need to take a long look at themselves. Thought Development Squads were to get a big shake up under new guidance, same old regime as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

What age group if you don't mind me asking?

To be fair to everyone involved I'd rather not say, coaches are giving up their time to be in involved. Just think the standard of drills and length of match time left a lot of questions

What age group if you don't mind me asking?

I'd rather not say, coaches are giving up their spare time to be involved to be fair. I'm just questioning that the level of drills weren't challenging the players and 10 minutes of a match was far too short.

• Advertisement

Yep, fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

Brilliant win in the camogie. Looked out of it completely in the first half and should have been down by a lot more than 3 points. Turned things around completely in the second half to lead by 5 and fought well to hang on. Galway will be hard to beat if they meet again in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Village87

Grats wrote: »
    That's a real shame for Delaney, and Kilkenny. He's badly needed in that full back line.

I suggested to colleagues during the week that I wouldn't be surprised if Joey walked. He's been treated poorly during the league. And now with Delaney out, management ought to regret how they dealt with Holden.

Brassil dropping out is a mystery unless his injury has forced him to.

If this is true I would not blame Holden. He is left on the bench to watch Deegan get cleaned against Waterford last year and Antrim and Clare this year.

Joey was easily one of the top 3 defenders in the club games last year. For that to not translate to any opportunities last year I think is very poor. In fact as far as I'm aware no one was called in as a result of the club games last year. They were called in this year. They were on form last year not this year. I think Joey, Murphy and Prendergast were never forgiven in Cody's eyes for 2016 final. They were probably the one line not at fault for 16. How you can allow the half back line to play in midfield and expect the fullback line to thrive against 3 speed merchants is beyond me. I could never understand people slating the boys for that day. I could have pointed out other mistakes they made but that day was down to the rest of the team and really the sideline. How as a manager do you stand there and allow that to happen over again and allow all the space to develop in front of the fullback line. I hope Joey is not gone but if he is it's totally understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I wasn't alone here when I said for the last few months joey was getting a raw deal and at least deserved to play himself off the team.
    Wallace deegan and Tommy are ahead of him and delaney has yet to come back
    Fogarty and Buckley are no longer in his plans and will probably go this year.Blanchfield will also probably go
    I'm all for change and freshness but while not the most stylish joey from the outside doesn't seem to be getting a fair chance and I do think he is at least as good as what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ger Aylward still in the squad?

MfMan wrote: »
    Ger Aylward still in the squad?

No he and Paul Murphy finished last year

Is Joey gone so? If so, what a servant. Filled a gap at full back after the greatest defender of all time left and did it admirably. Got hung out to dry numerous times and I had endless arguments about him from about 2016 to 2019. Best of luck to him if he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Village87

We badly need a good under 20 campaign this year to bring in some new blood with confidence. I myself do not no many underage age hurlers as there is little exposure compared to 10/15 years ago when minor + u21 matches were massive with big names and plenty games on TV. The new u17 makes it more difficult as none of these hurled adult club compared to the old system and a lot of underage Kilkenny teams struggle to get out of Leinster which does not help exposure.
    Last years u20 was one of the worst underage performances I have ever seen form a underage Kilkenny team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭randd1

Village87 wrote: »
    We badly need a good under 20 campaign this year to bring in some new blood with confidence. I myself do not no many underage age hurlers as there is little exposure compared to 10/15 years ago when minor + u21 matches were massive with big names and plenty games on TV. The new u17 makes it more difficult as none of these hurled adult club compared to the old system and a lot of underage Kilkenny teams struggle to get out of Leinster which does not help exposure.
    Last years u20 was one of the worst underage performances I have ever seen form a underage Kilkenny team
    Yeah, it should return to U18 and U21.

They should also play the underage AI championships during the national league, and have it finish before the exams, and leave the younger players play the summer with their clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Village87 wrote: »

Ah here, I assume you were in Birr in 1988.:)
    However, 2020 was certainly a crude team selection and a duly crude performance ensued.

On a positive note, I hear Kilkenny beat Limerick U20s in a challenge last night, both teams pretty much full strength. Limerick included both Senior panelists (Cathal O' Neill and Colin Coughlin) in the lineup.
    And predictably, word has it, Limerick were "very big"
    Ciaran Brennan apparently very good for Kilkenny shooting four or five points.
    Delighted at this, he could be a summer springer for Seniors, but having 20s run almost in tandem with Seniors might militate against anyone off the team being sprung into Senior action.

In U20, Galway will be very hard to beat in Leinster in 2021/2022, and winners of any clash between us and them in these years will be well fancied to go all the way.

Galway v Dublin Leinster U20 final (2020) on TG4 tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Attended a KK development squad session today. As a parent I decided to stay on and watch. I'm involved in underage club teams myself so I thought I might pick up some idea's. How wrong I was, drills were so dated, bar one possession drill the others were prehistoric. These players are supposed to be the best from their clubs, at least give them some challenging drills.

Session went as follows:
    20 minutes warm up
    40 minutes drills
    20 minutes naming teams and chat about how they wanted them to play
    10 minute match.

10 minute match, come on. All the boys want to do is hurl not be given a 20 minute speech beforehand.

KK Co.Board need to take a long look at themselves. Thought Development Squads were to get a big shake up under new guidance, same old regime as far as I can see.

I'd say a lot of that stems from the fact that some of those coaches are there a long time and it will take time to change them or replace them but it sounds like a very poor session.

The sister asked me to drop her young lad to one of the U13 sessions. To be honest I was delighted when she asked as I was dying to see what they would be doing. I have to say I was impressed. A well known, older/more experienced coach ran the session, including taking registrations, sorting out groups etc. All done very quickly while the young coaches each set up their station and the session started on the dot of 3.30pm. It looked like each of the young coaches had a particular skill to focus on. They did a drill and then put the skill into a game. One was definitely striking to the hand, another was handpassing and a third one looked like first touch. The coaches were very good, gave clear instructions and had a lot of enthusiasm. The players really bought into it and you could see they were enjoying it. To finish they got into a full game in seconds where the older coach outlined the scoring system. One for a score, two for a tackle and three for the skills of the day. A lot of focus was on the 20/30 yard stick pass to hand and by the end you could see the players looking up for a team mate. I thought the best bit was at the end though, where it was laid on the line to the players that they must go back to their clubs as a leader and a good example to the weaker players in their club or they won't be on a squad. A bit blunt i thought but a good message all the same.

Sounds great. I was worried about those sessions and the idea of the younger coaches doing all the coaching but sounds like it worked well.

Fair play to whomever was trying to keep track of that scoring system, I can't keep up with points and goals.....

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

A lot of younger coaches have been brought in this year with some impressive names in the bunch too. A call was made from a senior individual to only put them in with the 13s to trial them out. All the older and regular crew were put with the usual teams.

I'll be honest I assumed these "coaches" would just be students given jobs for the summer for the sake of it so happy to be wrong. Next step is to get that younger cohort in with clubs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Neewollah wrote: »
    A lot of younger coaches have been brought in this year with some impressive names in the bunch too. A call was made from a senior individual to only put them in with the 13s to trial them out. All the older and regular crew were put with the usual teams.

That's disappointing although you can probably see why at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Re coaching.

Just recently completed Foundation course (it was delayed for nearly 2yrs due to 'the covid' ) and it is well though/laid out.
    Theres a lot of focus on developing the basics (obvious enough) and the techniques of your stance, toss and striking (on the ground and in the air)

Being a Foundation course, the emphasis is on learning through games - For example -Cups and Saucers with cones, to develop awareness and crouching down (to rise the ball) and then the players would switch to having the balls on the ground and they have to rise/dribble with them.
    There was a good range of coaches from different backgrounds , some playing junior camogie, senior camogie, mothers helping with their childs team , and most of them were coaching U6-8-10s so there is a lot of groundwork being laid.

Personally, as im coaching an U16 camogie team, the games wouldnt really translate as well to 14-15 year old girls as it would to 6-7-8 year olds , But there was still great ideas that could be tweaked a bit to suit the age group, and little techniques also. It was worth doing.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Well nobody is allowed coach at any level without having the foundation course done. But anyone who has any notions about coaching in competitive hurling i.e. U13 upwards should have the Award 1 done in my opinion

Heard today that Joey is definitely still in the setup, so sorry for the false alarm but Brassil is definitely gone

• Advertisement

Heard today that Joey is definitely still in the setup, so sorry for the false alarm but Brassil is definitely gone

I wonder was the panel cut after the league?brassil done last year when introduced but he was very very rusty when introduced .He missed alot of gametine through injury maybe he is gone to get himself sorted for next year.
    I heard joey was convinced to stay on also.Is there any word on Darren mullen?if he got a few weeks training in he could be a darkhorse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement