Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

They're raising money for a hospice foundation.

And that would be lovely. So why not have it a hurling or football match if in a GAA stadium? The soccer guys can run there thing in the Aviva. Double the proceeds.

However, its still confusing when I read the articles. I don't see the hospice being mentionned......

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/liam-and-his-family-deserve-it-roy-keane-looking-forward-to-paying-tribute-to-miller-at-starstudded-testimonial-37132181.html,

So again, I ask what's it all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

So again, I ask what's it all about?

What don't you get?

Its a local lad here who died of cancer very young and he had a small family. Its a game to raise money for his family. Theres no scam here. The pairc here will hold more than the Cross. He played soccer so naturally they are getting people he played with and knew to play.Thats all.

Just let them play this charity match there.It will raise money for the family.

If this was the other way around I would say the same.He played GAA when he was younger too. Be nice to honour him in his home place. The more people the better. So the Pairc makes sense for a local lad who tragically died very young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

What don't you get?

Its a local lad here who died of cancer very young and he had a small family. Its a game to raise money for his family. Theres no scam here. The pairc here will hold more than the Cross. He played soccer so naturally they are getting people he played with and knew to play.Thats all.

If this was the other way around I would say the same.He played GAA when he was younger too. Be nice to honour him in his home place. The more people the better. So the Pairc makes sense for a local lad who tragically died very young.

Whats this mention about a hospice , it does not matter to me where they play it he was to young to die cancer has effected a very lot of families on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

He was in the hospice and I'm guessing maybe he has bills from it. So if the money goes to the family it goes to pay the hospice or the money already paid to them. He had 3 small kids too.I know he was in the hospice as my dad was there at the same time. We watched KK winning the All Ireland there in 2015 before he died as they have brilliant facilities. My dad was from KK so it was like when I was a kid watching matches at home which is the reason I love hurling.The place is not cheap though and they are always fundraising. Everybody here in Cork knows someone who has been there.

He was in the hospice and I'm guessing maybe he has bills from it. So if the money goes to the family it goes to pay the hospice or the money already paid to them. He had 3 small kids too.I know he was in the hospice as my dad was there at the same time. We watched KK winning the All Ireland there in 2015 before he died as they have brilliant facilities. My dad was from KK so it was like when I was a kid watching matches at home which is the reason I love hurling.The place is not cheap though and they are always fundraising. Everybody here in Cork knows someone who has been there.

It was to bad what happened a lot of people don't realize until it hits your own house its a pity the way it was dealt with . I realize these places are not cheap we had somebody dying in the family for two years around 2015 everything costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Have TJ's performances this year demonstrated that he is on a downhill slope in your opinion or are you stating that with his age in mind?

No but TJ is 32 in 2019. TJ needs help on the field.

Needs leadership around him,
    Wally stepped up this year as did James Maher and Eoin Murphy as ever.

Padraig Walsh needs to play in the half back line, id play him number 6, his hurling and willingness to get on the ball would drive things forward. Buckley is limited no.6, poor hurling really makes it hard on the forwards, his distribution this year was awful, has trouble clearing the ball under any pressure.

Conor Fogarty had a very poor year again, replacement needs to be found, just to slow.

I woudnt be surprised if Cody decided to walk after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Village87 wrote: »

Padraig Walsh needs to play in the half back line, id play him number 6, his hurling and willingness to get on the ball would drive things forward. Buckley is limited no.6, poor hurling really makes it hard on the forwards, his distribution this year was awful, has trouble clearing the ball under any pressure.

Conor Fogarty had a very poor year again, replacement needs to be found, just to slow.

I completely agree with you except the last line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I personally wouldn't play PW at 6. I don't want my number 6 shooting forward leaving a massive hole in the middle of the defence. That's just me though.

kk.man wrote: »
    I completely agree with you except the last line.

Look i could be way off, people speculate every year about it. Just i thought his demeanor on the line against Limerick was like a man possessed and his last match. Could be one of 2 reasons:
    1. His last match and as he feels he is after rebuilding a new team and time to go.
    2. He knew that if they could get through this match, 3rd week running that they would be in a great position in the Semi final

I personally wouldn't play PW at 6. I don't want my number 6 shooting forward leaving a massive hole in the middle of the defence. That's just me though.

I would, put him in the thick of the action he could dominate a game. Teams would try avoid him on the wings

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

What don't you get?

So it is for his family. A lot of people are not aware of that, though I'm not suggesting it is a scam. What I've read today says the organisers are very open about this fact.
    I refer you back to my first post so on this subject for my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

The same minor team was called the worst minor team ever to come out of Kilkenny. Personally I feel there’s too much of a self entitlement in Kilkenny and before I’m lynched I’m from Kilkenny. I’m not taking about players or management either

They were absolutely slaughtered before yesterday’s match and yet here they are in an All Ireland semi final.

15/16/17 year olds shouldn’t be ridiculed to that extent. Between school, exams, a personal life and being a teenager they have enough pressure. Every player that ever wore the black and amber had to start somewhere and some of the best hurlers of all time never won a minor all ireland and ours are written yet they are still going

In 2000, Kilkenny minors were beaten in leinster 1sr round by Offaly. The following 6 players started that day..... David Herity Tommy Walsh, Jackie Tyrrell, JJ Delaney, Conor Phelan, Aidan Fogarty. Here's 10 more that never played in a minor All Ireland final... Henry Shefflin, Noel Hickey, Eddie Brennan, Brian Hogan, James McGarry, Derek Lyng, Paul Murphy, Colin Fennelly, Mick Kavanagh and TJ Reid. Richie Hogan has no minor medal either but played in 2004 final v Galway

Thankfully, they weren't written off and hopefully they or our current young players never open this forum. Those players mentioned above would be shocked at some of the stuff written here.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Has Conor Fogarty been suffering with glandular fever this good while, and isn't this disease very dibilitating

Would you apply if he vacated his position .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

In 2000, Kilkenny minors were beaten in leinster 1sr round by Offaly. The following 6 players started that day..... David Herity Tommy Walsh, Jackie Tyrrell, JJ Delaney, Conor Phelan, Aidan Fogarty. Here's 10 more that never played in a minor All Ireland final... Henry Shefflin, Noel Hickey, Eddie Brennan, Brian Hogan, James McGarry, Derek Lyng, Paul Murphy, Colin Fennelly, Mick Kavanagh and TJ Reid. Richie Hogan has no minor medal either but played in 2004 final v Galway

Thankfully, they weren't written off and hopefully they or our current young players never open this forum. Those players mentioned above would be shocked at some of the stuff written here.

True and Tommybplayed minor for kk in 2001, when the Cork team hammered them in Croker the same day as Galway beat kk in the senior. The thing about that day is, although cork had good players on that team who looked very good, ie kieran Murphy, gardener and setanta, Walsh was by far the best hurler on the pitch.
    It’s ok to loose in minors if you have A few very good standout players that completely dominate there areas. It’s unlikely to get a team of very good players but you want a few very very good ones carrying the rest, on a team that goes far. Then you know you have real talent coming through. A team of fairly good players although it’ll go far won’t contribute to the senior ranks.

That’s assuming of course that your able to convert them to senior via the U-21 teams which kk have been very very poor at of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I watched the KK V Limerick game from 2014 last night. Pádraig was at wing half forward. I think he can play anywhere but No. 5 would be best.

I watched the KK V Limerick game from 2014 last night. Pádraig was at wing half forward. I think he can play anywhere but No. 5 would be best.

Didn't he play under age as a forward, was he dropped for one of those finals in 2014.

Joe Daly wrote: »

Didn't he play under age as a forward, was he dropped for one of those finals in 2014.

I think he came on in the first game and started the second game as a defender.

I think he came on in the first game and started the second game as a defender.

Joey Holden started the first day he replaced him for the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Joey Holden started the first day he replaced him for the replay.

He should have gotten man of the match in the replay in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

The same minor team was called the worst minor team ever to come out of Kilkenny. Personally I feel there’s too much of a self entitlement in Kilkenny and before I’m lynched I’m from Kilkenny. I’m not taking about players or management either

They were absolutely slaughtered before yesterday’s match and yet here they are in an All Ireland semi final.

15/16/17 year olds shouldn’t be ridiculed to that extent. Between school, exams, a personal life and being a teenager they have enough pressure. Every player that ever wore the black and amber had to start somewhere and some of the best hurlers of all time never won a minor all ireland and ours are written yet they are still going

The same team was called the worst minor team ever to come out of Kilkenny? Really? By who? (A random lad in a pub doesn't count.)

And was this before they clocked up all those big scores in Leinster or after they were beaten by a much bigger Galway team?

Look i could be way off, people speculate every year about it. Just i thought his demeanor on the line against Limerick was like a man possessed and his last match. Could be one of 2 reasons:
    1. His last match and as he feels he is after rebuilding a new team and time to go.
    2. He knew that if they could get through this match, 3rd week running that they would be in a great position in the Semi final

You do realise how silly your "man possessed and his last match" sounds?

And also how silly your 1. is, seeing that the team is only half rebuilt and therefore it can't be time to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Tickets on sale this morning For the Minor All Ireland semi V Tipperary

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Mankbag wrote: »
    You do realise how silly your "man possessed and his last match" sounds?

And also how silly your 1. is, seeing that the team is only half rebuilt and therefore it can't be time to go?

IMO Cody knew if he got through Limerick(a big ask after 2 tough matches the previous weeks ) he could smell another All Ireland with Kilkenny having no fear over Cork in the Semi Final. I do think that he is after bedding in a decent number of hurlers for next few years and might decide to go. The new man in could have the services of lads like TJ and Richie for a year or two.

I agree though Kilkenny need to find 5/6 new faces for next year. a midfielder and 3 backs are essential and a corner forward/wing forward

I could sound silly Mankbag but just a hunch that Cody will go if not this year in the next year or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Kilkenny aren't far off but the big problem is pace at the back. There isn't any. Cody always says that he can manage players who aren't pacey but who have the hurling and desire but Kilkenny need two blindingly fast backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Kilkenny aren't far off but the big problem is pace at the back. There isn't any. Cody always says that he can manage players who aren't pacey but who have the hurling and desire but Kilkenny need two blindingly fast backs.

Definitely agree with that especially as players seem to be getting fitter and faster everytime. The big problem is if you get beat in the air the opposition is in behind in acres of space

IMO Cody knew if he got through Limerick(a big ask after 2 tough matches the previous weeks ) he could smell another All Ireland with Kilkenny having no fear over Cork in the Semi Final. I do think that he is after bedding in a decent number of hurlers for next few years and might decide to go. The new man in could have the services of lads like TJ and Richie for a year or two.

I agree though Kilkenny need to find 5/6 new faces for next year. a midfielder and 3 backs are essential and a corner forward/wing forward

I could sound silly Mankbag but just a hunch that Cody will go if not this year in the next year or 2

Not trying to be a smartass here, but you're now saying that he could go in any one of the next THREE years. That's hardly putting your neck on the block about someone who's already done 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The same minor team was called the worst minor team ever to come out of Kilkenny.

Not doubting you but who exactly said this, and were they aware that Kilkenny are actually the reigning U-16 AI champions?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

With Kilkenny gone, who would ye like to lift the Liam McCarthy cup.
    No doubt Galway are the best of the 4.
    Cork would be next.
    Not much separating Clare and Limerick.
    Personally I would love to see Limerick win,but more than likely Galway will win

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any hurling camps starting on Monday the 13th Aug - even the Monday and Tuesday? PM me if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement