Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Definitely want limerick to win it out. Lovely brand of hurling imo, good fans who have suffered hugely, them winning would mean cork getting knocked out which we can all probably agree is a good thing. Certainly nobody could accuse them of having a handy route to it. I don't think they'll win though, but psychologically, beating us was a huge thing for them and maybe they can build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone know of any hurling camps starting on Monday the 13th Aug - even the Monday and Tuesday? PM me if you want.

The 2018 Bill Costello Hurling School of Excellence takes place from the 13th to the 17th of August at the Piltown GAA complex.
    Open to children from the age of 5 - 13.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Definitely want limerick to win it out. Lovely brand of hurling imo, good fans who have suffered hugely, them winning would mean cork getting knocked out which we can all probably agree is a good thing. Certainly nobody could accuse them of having a handy route to it. I don't think they'll win though, but psychologically, beating us was a huge thing for them and maybe they can build on it.

Limerick have beaten Tipp and KK in the same year, have a very good manager and have a squad full of players who have had underage, club and college success, they also showed that against KK that they are different to every other senior team of the last 45 years from Limerick when they came back from that Richie Hogan goal, every other Limerick team would have crumbled.

They might not win it this year but they will be a major force for the next number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I wouldn't agree with this every other Limerick team would have 'crumbled'. It's a lazy diagnosis of Limericks failure to win All Irelands. It doesn't take into account the likes of Limericks 10 point comeback in the 96 Munster final v the 'Ham sandwiches' or the previous game v Clare.
    Every Limerick All Ireland winning side had half the team from the city and that level headed side balanced the hot heads from the county. However Rugby totally took over from the 70s and any kid with athletic ability played rugby . Only Na Piarsaigh play senior hurling in the city and some of the other city clubs are treading water and some are gulping salty water for years. But my original point is Limerick never lacked belief or backbone since the glory days of the 30s. They just lacked the players.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this every other Limerick team would have 'crumbled'. It's a lazy diagnosis of Limericks failure to win All Irelands. It doesn't take into account the likes of Limericks 10 point comeback in the 96 Munster final v the 'Ham sandwiches' or the previous game v Clare.
    Every Limerick All Ireland winning side had half the team from the city and that level headed side balanced the hot heads from the county. However Rugby totally took over from the 70s and any kid with athletic ability played rugby . Only Na Piarsaigh play senior hurling in the city and some of the other city clubs are treading water and some are gulping salty water for years. But my original point is Limerick never lacked belief or backbone since the glory days of the 30s. They just lacked the players.

Interesting that you reference the 96 Munster final - its over 20 years ago, it was against a poor Tipp team that was in transition from the highs of the 87-93 era and what did said Limerick team do when they got to Croke Park? Lost to 14 man Wexford in the worst standard final in recent memory, hardly a glowing reference to their mental fortitude.

Of course Rugby was a challenge to GAA in Limerick, as it was in Cork who had a similar shift from City based clubs.

We'll agree to disagree on this but from all the evidence I seen Limerick consistently under achieved when the pressure came on and in particular when they got to Croke Park, this team looks different to me.

• Advertisement

Comparing Limerick rugby culture to Cork rugby culture is like comparing chalk and cheese. Cork city is a hurling city still. Limerick city has 7 senior or near senior AIL clubs in the city..Cork has 2 in a bigger city.
    Yeah 96 v Wexford was a disaster. Even though Limerick had a legit goal disallowed they should have won.
    Listen I hope your right. Limerick supporters deserve abit of success. If Limerick do ever win an All Ireland then there will be a pitch invasion. That is 100% certain. I hope the stewards realise that and move aside otherwise they 'll be run over..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

mullinr2 wrote: »
    With Kilkenny gone, who would ye like to lift the Liam McCarthy cup.
    No doubt Galway are the best of the 4.
    Cork would be next.
    Not much separating Clare and Limerick.
    Personally I would love to see Limerick win,but more than likely Galway will win

I don't mind who wins to be honest.
    I'm just hoping for two great semi-finals and a great final!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What are the Tipp minor team like? They must be decent given that they are Munster champions.
    Anyone give our minors a chance against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

What are the Tipp minor team like? They must be decent given that they are Munster champions.

I was reading an article from mulrooney which stated limerick won the munster group however tipp won the final. Given limerick topped the group you'd have made them favourites yet tipp beat them. I'd say limerick and tipp would be on par maybe with tipp edging it. Given last week I'd expect a closer game but think we have enough

A bit raw is how I would describe them, lost two games in Munster where they were way better than the opposition, but when the chips were down in the last game and the final they were very very good.

Sean Hayes is there main forward and has an incredible goal scoring rate, incredible burst of pace as well. Max Hackett midfield is imo their best player a real powerhouse, goalkepper who is a brother of senior panelist Ger Browne is very good.

Should be a cracking game and the four teams remaining are very good, I think its a prticualrly strong year in the grade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Good luck to our minor hurling team next sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Pogue eile wrote: »
    A bit raw is how I would describe them, lost two games in Munster where they were way better than the opposition, but when the chips were down in the last game and the final they were very very good.

Sean Hayes is there main forward and has an incredible goal scoring rate, incredible burst of pace as well. Max Hackett midfield is imo their best player a real powerhouse, goalkepper who is a brother of senior panelist Ger Browne is very good.

Should be a cracking game and the four teams remaining are very good, I think its a prticualrly strong year in the grade.
    Agree, 4 teams with plenty 17 year olds above the average

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'd put them a good bit ahead of Limerick - they lost in the round robin but they gave Limerick's best player the freedom to do what he wanted and he cut wreck. Will be a decent minor game. It's before Limerick and Cork is it?

Tipp are a good side. It ll be interesting to see how good Kilkenny are. Tipp should have lost to Clare in Thurles aswell but a few decisions went against Clare on the day. It 'll be an interesting game and there seems to be little between the provinces at this grade. It's the under 21 grade that Munster dominate..so between 18 and 20 a large gap developes and I'm not sure why.

What happens at u21 level now. Before the Munster and Leinster champions played either Galway or Ulster champs. With Galway the Leinster champs, what are the semi final pairings?

What happens at u21 level now. Before the Munster and Leinster champions played either Galway or Ulster champs. With Galway the Leinster champs, what are the semi final pairings?

Galway V Tipp and Cork v Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Did I read somewhere that Cork Wexford is fixed for the Park or am I imagining that?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Yep, on Saturday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Good luck to our minor hurling team next sunday.

Also the best to our intermediate team in the final.

What did ye make of Clare's tactics against Galway. At first it was a disaster. They were literally handing the game to them. They stuck at it though and nearly pulled it off. I'd give a great chance next week.
    It certainly beats our high ball down on the Galway back line. That's there strength.

Galway minors certainly look impressive. Hard to see them bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

What did ye make of Clare's tactics against Galway. At first it was a disaster. They were literally handing the game to them. They stuck at it though and nearly pulled it off. I'd give a great chance next week.
    It certainly beats our high ball down on the Galway back line. That's there strength.

Galway minors certainly look impressive. Hard to see them bet

i suppose we used the short ball during the league but seemed to go back to our old way as the year went on.We dont seem to be as comfortable at doing it and when it doesnt work it can look terrible.
    fair play to clare yesterday they got their puckouts right eventually.
    Its after being an excellent year of hurling so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Good luck to minors today.would be great to have another crack at galway minors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

Anyone at the intermediate match yesterday? Any stand out players that we will see in the mix for senior next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Nedflanders02

mrbango wrote: »
    Anyone at the intermediate match yesterday? Any stand out players that we will see in the mix for senior next year?

I was at the game yesterday, to be honest it was fairly poor. You could tell they didn’t have much work done together. Not really any stand out performances from Kilkenny, Shane Murphy hurled fairly well at midfield, Pat Carroll and Paul Hennebry did ok but not too many you’d be expecting to see in with the seniors next year. Anyone know why there was no Ballyragget players involved yesterday?

Minors better team but should be more ahead
    .need to push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Good win. Sweeper made a big difference to the backs. Well done and best of luck in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Minors better team but should be more ahead
    .need to push on.

How there was only two points in it in the end is a mystery. Defence was good but defending for the Tipp goals was poor. Really like Cian Kenny, uses the ball very well. Jack Morrissey did well as did Ciaran Brennan. Too many wides. Outsiders against Galway but a big boost to be in the final

Need to improve now for final v galway.everything to play for now.outsiders but have a great chancce IMO.

Watching these two games this weekend, it is clear we are far off from these teams level.
    These four teams have scoring forwards and pace in their forward lines - something we don't have.
    They also have a smart game plan which we also don't.
    Cody has serious work to bridge the gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Watching these two games this weekend, it is clear we are far off from these teams level.
    These four teams have scoring forwards and pace in their forward lines - something we don't have.
    They also have a smart game plan which we also don't.
    Cody has serious work to bridge the gap

Would agree. Kilkenny facing a long barren spell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement