Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Watching these two games this weekend, it is clear we are far off from these teams level.
    These four teams have scoring forwards and pace in their forward lines - something we don't have.
    They also have a smart game plan which we also don't.
    Cody has serious work to bridge the gap

Didn't we draw with one of those teams and lead the other by 2 points with about 2 minutes to go, but I guess that doesn't really suit your overall agenda on here, Kilkenny have a lot of work to do but on the other hand we stay 6 all Irelands ahead, we are league champions,we have a very skillfull team in the minor final, the sky hasn't completely fallen on our heads. Strength and conditioning and tactics are something which we need to focus on but I understand some of that has allready begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

limerick have 2 sticky tidy corner backs.they have loads of movements from their fowards and and gillane and mulcahy will cause most full back lines trouble.They also had a very good bench.shane dowling had a huge influence in that win
    fair play to limerick today i was happy for them no1 could begrudge them.
    i wouldnt say we're a million miles behind the chasing pack we need to pick up a few players but its not impossible.
    congrats to the minors today nice to get to the final some nice hurlers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

That Sean Finn is some corner back. His speed and just his stickiness is out of this world. The guy in the other corner is a true Limerick Kamikaze from the old school. He clears it but I never trust his distribution and he dives in too much but my god he'd put his head in front of a Hurley for you.
    Kilkenny aren't far off at all but are short a few. It's a 25 man game now and it's never going back. Love that Hegarty guy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

C__MC wrote: »
    Would agree. Kilkenny facing a long barren spell

The two of ye are shocking dramatic. We're not world beaters but we're not miles away either. We got by on natural talent alone for a long time and now we have to adjust which I'm sure we will. Once upon a time we'd only win 2 All Irelands in a decade. Another year adjusting to a new style of play and we'll be another step on the ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

We have won four senior all irelands in this Decade lost two, won four league titles not bad going.I wonder if we had to get the penalty when john Donnelly was fouled would it have turned the game like to day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Were not miles away.list 2 lim by 2 after playing 3 weeks in a row.drew with galway.we need a few players and others need to strenghten up.its fairly open now anyone can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Not the most physical minor team but certainly one of the most skilful seen for a long long time. Physicality may cost them at the end but skill and heart they have in abundance. More than a few great prospects among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Club championship resuming next week after which it will be hectic for 12 weeks. I think it is a pity that they didn't start last weekend. I think the Intermediate County Championship should be discontinued and there were only a few other matches held. Next weekend, there are only two football matches and an u13 match. It is a shame that there are so few matches in the middle of summer. I think next year matches should be scheduled on the basis that KK are not going to be in the last 4 in the AI series. Club matches can easily be put back if required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kilkenny are slowly changing themselves into a more modern team but still have a bit to go. I would say pace is an issue and nippy forwards who can score in the blink of an eye. Mobility now is crucial to this new game. Kilkenny probably short in those areas. The fundamentals that Cody wants will Always keep them in good stead but the majority of teams are now like that.

I said Kilkenny would face a long sparren spell. The reason I said this is because as a neutral I watched the u21 final last September. For me the kk conveyor belt was fairly dry on that occasion. And let’s be honest what we seen this year in terms of personal is probably what kk will produce next year bar a few back from injury. I don’t see kk challenging for a bit if I’m being honest.

If anyone believes kk can get back as top dogs sooner rather then later, I’d like to here why you think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

C__MC wrote: »
    Kilkenny are slowly changing themselves into a more modern team but still have a bit to go. I would say pace is an issue and nippy forwards who can score in the blink of an eye. Mobility now is crucial to this new game. Kilkenny probably short in those areas. The fundamentals that Cody wants will Always keep them in good stead but the majority of teams are now like that.

I said Kilkenny would face a long sparren spell. The reason I said this is because as a neutral I watched the u21 final last September. For me the kk conveyor belt was fairly dry on that occasion. And let’s be honest what we seen this year in terms of personal is probably what kk will produce next year bar a few back from injury. I don’t see kk challenging for a bit if I’m being honest.

If anyone believes kk can get back as top dogs sooner rather then later, I’d like to here why you think this.

You shouldn't judge underage by one final. That was a serious limerick team and I believe we were poorly set up, underprepared and underperformed in the final. They won minor 3 years previous. I am far from an expert BTW.

• Advertisement

i think 5 of limericks last year u21 team started yesterday,it was a serious limerick team.I was at that match and while we were well bet i was confident we had some good players for the future that would learn along side tj and richie.
    Leahy and donnelly are 2 who finshed the year very strong as impact subs.Next year they will have to kick on and try add consistency to their game.
    delaney,scanlon,ryan all these lads have being exposed to the cut and thrust of championship hurling which will hopefully stand to us in the future.
    limerick have won a few u21s and while that guarantees nothing they have a shrewd manager and paul kinnerck has them playing a very smart game.I hope they kick on now and win it.
    I dont think we're that far away from the top our young team is devolping we started out with six debutants in the first round i dont think i ever remember as many at the one tine and infairness to us as supporters we knew this rebuild is going to take a year or two.
    i dont think we were ready this year for an all ireland but we gave it a fair rattle against limerick and galway a few weeks ago and dont forget wally was missing for the limerick match who has being very good along with tj but as we know we need to unearth a few scoring fowards.
    It'll be intresting to see will he give bolger and john walsh another go or will alan murphy make the step up?
    id like to see darren and adrian mullen brought in and id like to see richie reid given a run in defence.Conor doheny is another worth a go.Hopefully the club scene will throw up a few lads i thought morrissey was unlucky to lose his spot against limerick.
    I think the break to oz will be a nice bonding session for the lads and i dont see many retirements like previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    i think 5 of limericks last year u21 team started yesterday,it was a serious limerick team.I was at that match and while we were well bet i was confident we had some good players for the future that would learn along side tj and richie.
    Leahy and donnelly are 2 who finshed the year very strong as impact subs.Next year they will have to kick on and try add consistency to their game.
    delaney,scanlon,ryan all these lads have being exposed to the cut and thrust of championship hurling which will hopefully stand to us in the future.
    limerick have won a few u21s and while that guarantees nothing they have a shrewd manager and paul kinnerck has them playing a very smart game.I hope they kick on now and win it.
    I dont think we're that far away from the top our young team is devolping we started out with six debutants in the first round i dont think i ever remember as many at the one tine and infairness to us as supporters we knew this rebuild is going to take a year or two.
    i dont think we were ready this year for an all ireland but we gave it a fair rattle against limerick and galway a few weeks ago and dont forget wally was missing for the limerick match who has being very good along with tj but as we know we need to unearth a few scoring fowards.
    It'll be intresting to see will he give bolger and john walsh another go or will alan murphy make the step up?
    id like to see darren and adrian mullen brought in and id like to see richie reid given a run in defence.Conor doheny is another worth a go.Hopefully the club scene will throw up a few lads i thought morrissey was unlucky to lose his spot against limerick.
    I think the break to oz will be a nice bonding session for the lads and i dont see many retirements like previous years.

Feels like Richie Reid has been there for years now. How old is he next year 26/27? If he was good enough Cody would have played him at this stage, is he even making the 26 for the match days anymore ?

Village87 wrote: »
    brookville wrote: »

Feels like Richie Reid has been there for years now. How old is he next year 26/27? If he was good enough Cody would have played him at this stage, is he even making the 26 for the match days anymore ?
    no he hasnt being since the league match against clare but his still on the panel.His the same age as conor o shea and Rob lennon i remember them playing u21 against wexford in the park we got hammered the same night.
    i thought he done well center back for the shamrocks last year up to the village match.He started this year well enough but went of the scene then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Despite all the doom and gloom some posters around here love, there will be Black and Amber in Croke Park on All-Ireland final day. Fittingly the minors will contest the first ever under-17 final. Once again something Kilkenny voted against, we have a chance of winning. Well done to all involved. They will be playing their 10th game while Galway will be playing their 4th. There is no doubt this team is currently playing nowhere near what they are capable of. Their form has drastically deteriorated since the first game in Parnell Park, but they are slowly coming back to form. A lot of players, many with big underage reputations are capable of much better. I have no doubt that if they do get back to Parnell Park form they will beat Galway but they are young lads who already suffered a bad defeat to Galway, so it will not be easy. Of course this year the record of the Forristal winners Never winning the equivalent minor continues even when minor moved to Under-17 (Cork curse this year). Amazing stat over 36 years. Would have been interesting though to see how the Kilkenny minor team who missed out on a minor championship because of the age move and had the biggest ever winning margin in Forristal final would have got on. Another good batch will miss out on Under-21 next year with names like John Donnelly, Mossy Keoghan, Darren Mullen and Tommy Walsh amongst them. A lot of top young Kilkenny hurlers are missing out on their prime inter county year due to age changes and the fine weather fans are not getting to see their development in flow. Although it does affect their development, they are still good players and it does give us a good chance to get good young players in under the radar and there are plenty of them.

Hard to know what happened in Munster this year, all at this level were extremely poor. The Cork demise was the most interesting considering their dominance at Arrabawn and Forristal in recent years. Whatever sort of conveyor belt they are operating just seems to be breaking down. Their population, their recent dominance underage and their huge love of hurling and yet their bench was their downfall at senior on Sunday. Football is going poor too. Given recent controversies, is soccer taking over on Leeside or are their other factors? But that’s for them to worry about.

Back to hurling. Great excitement in the hurling semis at the weekend. Fantastic entertainment. When the euphoria dies down and the standard analysed what will be concluded. In 2013, we had great excitement with Cork and Clare. When things died down and subsequent performances were analysed, it became apparent the excitement and huge scores can sometimes cloud the judgment on quality. Without having looked at these semis again, my instinct suggests something similar. I did feel there was a huge amount of unforced mistakes. For example, Limerick’s short game and Clares for that matter was vulnerable with a lot of stray passes and poor control. Don’t get me wrong, love the excitement, there were some great scores and blocks too and Limerick and whoever wins the replay will not care about the overall quality, nor should they, but from our point of view and our tradition, if we can continue the great strides made this year, our unquestionable stickwork and our traditional ruthlessness can fill a gap similar to 2014.

Great series started on RTE last night “The Game”. Excellent viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Despite all the doom and gloom some posters around here love, there will be Black and Amber in Croke Park on All-Ireland final day. Fittingly the minors will contest the first ever under-17 final. Once again something Kilkenny voted against, we have a chance of winning. Well done to all involved. They will be playing their 10th game while Galway will be playing their 4th. There is no doubt this team is currently playing nowhere near what they are capable of. Their form has drastically deteriorated since the first game in Parnell Park, but they are slowly coming back to form. A lot of players, many with big underage reputations are capable of much better. I have no doubt that if they do get back to Parnell Park form they will beat Galway but they are young lads who already suffered a bad defeat to Galway, so it will not be easy. Of course this year the record of the Forristal winners Never winning the equivalent minor continues even when minor moved to Under-17 (Cork curse this year). Amazing stat over 36 years. Would have been interesting though to see how the Kilkenny minor team who missed out on a minor championship because of the age move and had the biggest ever winning margin in Forristal final would have got on. Another good batch will miss out on Under-21 next year with names like John Donnelly, Mossy Keoghan, Darren Mullen and Tommy Walsh amongst them. A lot of top young Kilkenny hurlers are missing out on their prime inter county year due to age changes and the fine weather fans are not getting to see their development in flow. Although it does affect their development, they are still good players and it does give us a good chance to get good young players in under the radar and there are plenty of them.

Hard to know what happened in Munster this year, all at this level were extremely poor. The Cork demise was the most interesting considering their dominance at Arrabawn and Forristal in recent years. Whatever sort of conveyor belt they are operating just seems to be breaking down. Their population, their recent dominance underage and their huge love of hurling and yet their bench was their downfall at senior on Sunday. Football is going poor too. Given recent controversies, is soccer taking over on Leeside or are their other factors? But that’s for them to worry about.

Back to hurling. Great excitement in the hurling semis at the weekend. Fantastic entertainment. When the euphoria dies down and the standard analysed what will be concluded. In 2013, we had great excitement with Cork and Clare. When things died down and subsequent performances were analysed, it became apparent the excitement and huge scores can sometimes cloud the judgment on quality. Without having looked at these semis again, my instinct suggests something similar. I did feel there was a huge amount of unforced mistakes. For example, Limerick’s short game and Clares for that matter was vulnerable with a lot of stray passes and poor control. Don’t get me wrong, love the excitement, there were some great scores and blocks too and Limerick and whoever wins the replay will not care about the overall quality, nor should they, but from our point of view and our tradition, if we can continue the great strides made this year, our unquestionable stickwork and our traditional ruthlessness can fill a gap similar to 2014.

Great series started on RTE last night “The Game”. Excellent viewing.

Minors beat Dublin 3-23 to 4-12 in May, Hammered Limerick last week 3-22 to 1-12 in July. Their form, in my opinion is very good. Beat Tipp last Sunday and deserved to win by a lot more. Watched the game on TG4. We had 30 scoring opportunities, Tipp had 18. Formidable task ahead. Best of luck to all involved. With regard to underage reputations, it’s adults who create those in their heads, not the players. The Forristal/ Minor comparison is interesting alright. Nothing is easily won and getting to Croke Park is an achievement any year given the underage work going on in every county

As regards the senior matches last Saturday /Sunday, I think hurling is moving to a new level regarding tactics etc . Corks last minor win 2001, Limerick 1984, Clare 1997..... Limerick U21 2017, Cork U21 1998. ( likely 2018), Clare 2014.... Now that’s for KK to worry about

Was he not the understudy for one of the best goal keepers at the moment any time he was called into action he served his team well. At one stage people were saying he should be the goal keeper and murphy be played out field. He had a bad game against Clare in the league both joe lyng and Ritchie were gone after twenty minutes never got another chance played half back for Ballyhale shamrocks hurled well talk about been thrown from pillar to post. You don't seem to have much respect for the players I would hate to have you as a coach in a club the team would be gone before the season begins.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Was he not the understudy for one of the best goal keepers at the moment any time he was called into action he served his team well. At one stage people were saying he should be the goal keeper and murphy be played out field. He had a bad game against Clare in the league both joe lyng and Ritchie were gone after twenty minutes never got another chance played half back for Ballyhale shamrocks hurled well talk about been thrown from pillar to post. You don't seem to have much respect for the players I would hate to have you as a coach in a club the team would be gone before the season begins.

Kilkenny backs have not been the strongest for a few years now. If Brian Cody deemed him good enough he would have played him there IMO. Have great respect for the players although i do feel 3/4 are overrated and not good enough, and Kilkenny have a nucleus of 7/8 players who i feel are the still up there with the best in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Kilkenny backs have not been the strongest for a few years now. If Brian Cody deemed him good enough he would have played him there IMO. Have great respect for the players although i do feel 3/4 are overrated and not good enough, and Kilkenny have a nucleus of 7/8 players who i feel are the still up there with the best in the country

Thats the key point though in bold, 10 years ago KK had a nucleus of 20 plus players who were up there with the best in the country and a core of 7/8 that were up there with the greatest of all time. Supporters need to be a bit more realistic and patient, which os difficult when you become so accustomed to success, buts its not as if they have fallen off the cliff.

What was the story in the minor semi final when Cathal o Leary the hurl was clearly thrown at him in the second half when he was striking for a point it clearly obstructed him he got no free or the player in question was never spoken to .

does anyone know whats the process with tickets for the minor?dont think the season ticket holders get any so will they be distributed through the clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

KK have played both Galway (3 times) and Limerick this season.

What's your views on who is the better team based on these experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Minor ticket allocation for the county is set at 1,500 of which about 400 goes to the team and mentors.Of the rest they should go to the clubs but you know yourself a lot will be symphonies off to either Galway or Limerick.I was at 7 out of the 9 games and I don't feel I will be able to get one.You would wonder why season ticket holders cannot at least get a first refusal with even bad tickets like we were given in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree100% season ticket holders should get tickets

Big weekend of club action ahead. Any games in senior and Intermediate that are stand out fixtures to watch out for players next year ?

Big weekend of club action ahead. Any games in senior and Intermediate that are stand out fixtures to watch out for players next year ?

Credit where it's due to the fixtures committee for spreading out the matches so that one could attend up to 7 senior/intermediate matches this weekend

Danesfort v Rower = Danesfort to cause an upset of sorts
    Dicksboro v Village = James Stephens to revenge county final loss
    Shamrocks v OLG = Shamrocks to go unbeaten this year
    BBridge v Comer = Bridge have to much class, Comer look poor
    Mvat v Carrickshock = Still a bit left in the old dog, shocks for me
    St Patricks v Clara = Ill go with Pats who should be freshened after the break

Tullaroan v Freshford = Tullaroan
    Mooncoin v Lisdowney = Draw
    Glenmore v Ballycallan = Another hard one to call, Glenmore barely
    Ttown v Tullogher = Ttown have good squad and big backroom with Brian Dowling and the Arrigle(o'Sullivan) involved, should win
    Fenians v Muckalee = Muckalee going well should win
    Gowran v Callan = Gowran dark horses, callan to go down, Gowran win

Danesfort v Rower = Danesfort to cause an upset of sorts
    Dicksboro v Village = James Stephens to revenge county final loss
    Shamrocks v OLG = Shamrocks to go unbeaten this year
    BBridge v Comer = Bridge have to much class, Comer look poor
    Mvat v Carrickshock = Still a bit left in the old dog, shocks for me
    St Patricks v Clara = Ill go with Pats who should be freshened after the break

Tullaroan v Freshford = Tullaroan
    Mooncoin v Lisdowney = Draw
    Glenmore v Ballycallan = Another hard one to call, Glenmore barely
    Ttown v Tullogher = Ttown have good squad and big backroom with Brian Dowling and the Arrigle(o'Sullivan) involved, should win
    Fenians v Muckalee = Muckalee going well should win
    Gowran v Callan = Gowran dark horses, callan to go down, Gowran win

For me, the Rower will beat Danesfort who expect to be in the relegation battle.
    Dicksboro to beat the Village
    Shamrocks to beat OLG by a big score.
    Bridge to scrape past Comer.
    Mvat to beat Shock who could also be in the relegation zone
    Pat' s to narrowly beat Clara.
    Wins for Tullaroan, Ballycallan, Mooncoin, Tullogher, Martin's and Gowran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Big blow to the Boro Cillian Buckley unlikely to hurler for them again this season with knee injury in today's Kilkenny People

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

robwen wrote: »
    Big blow to the Boro Cillian Buckley unlikely to hurler for them again this season with knee injury in today's Kilkenny People
    He's had that injury for a while apparently. Might explain his below par season. Makes you wonder about the medical team.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    He's had that injury for a while apparently. Might explain his below par season. Makes you wonder about the medical team.

And management, picking a player not fit and under performing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement