Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

brookville wrote: »
    how did john walsh go?no real stand out from the matches i attended although buckley for olg was a nice hurler.Conor browne was solid at 6 for the village.kevin kelly improved as the match went on.joe brennan was dangerous but his being tried before.is it only a round of seniors on next weekend?

Few nice touches. Then Dalton got serious with him and he would have gone out to the car park to get away from him.disappointing overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

how did john walsh go?no real stand out from the matches i attended although buckley for olg was a nice hurler.Conor browne was solid at 6 for the village.kevin kelly improved as the match went on.joe brennan was dangerous but his being tried before.is it only a round of seniors on next weekend?

Walsh played today on one leg pretty much. He beat Dalton to the first ball and pulled up needing attention. He moved out wing forward but wasn’t moving freely at all. He injured his hamstring early in the football final and is still recovering.

As for the game, Mvat went 1-4 to 0-3 ahead with Oisin Knox scoring 1-2 before going off at ht. Carrickshock played John Tennyson as a sweeper and went in 1-9 to 1-8 ahead.

Mvat improved in second half going 1-15 to 1-11 ahead with about 10 minutes remaining.

Shock got back to a couple of points and Jamie Power pulled off a great save from a Mvat penalty near the end.

Scrappy enough game in front of a large crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Dicksboro v Village
    We were hungrier and more organised. Played well as a team, Eoin Larkin played well sitting as a deep midfielder. Dicksboro very poor.

Ballyhale v OLG
    Some of the younger Ballyhale lads had a tough afternoon, TJ went off injured and Colin Fennelly coudn't control the ball. OLG worked hard and got a few points ahead and were in control for most of the game. Downpour didn't help Shamrocks

Tomastown v Tullogher
    Tough intense match played in poor conditions, Thomastown played very defensive with Jonjo Farrell and other midfielder playing very deep and a lot of players behind the ball, none of the big names playing really stood out Wally got a good goal. Tullogher Full back sent off with 10 left.

Comer v Bridge
    Delaney got sent off and Comer could have won otherwise, tough match , 2 teams looked average IMO.

Overall weather conditions didnt help for most of the matches i was at. Pitches very slippy

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Kilkenny have some power within the GAA according to the papers. Apparantly it's Kilkennys doing that Jimmy McGrath is not getting the final. All because of the free that wasn't in the quarter against Limerick.. I find it hard to believe Kilkenny would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Kilkenny have some power within the GAA according to the papers. Apparantly it's Kilkennys doing that Jimmy McGrath is not getting the final. All because of the free that wasn't in the quarter against Limerick.. I find it hard to believe Kilkenny would do that.

Do you have a link to any of the articles? Can't find any online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Looks like you'd believe anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Which papers? Personally, I'd love this to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The best of luck to our young minors on sunday team, mentors.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Hopefully the Galway minors might be over confident and we can put one over on them like they did to us twice in the last few years.Best of luck to all on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Best of luck to the Senior Camogie team on Sat evening

Saturday August 18th

Semple Stadium, Thurles

Galway v Kilkenny

Throw-in: 5.30pm

Referee: Ray Kelly (Kildare)

Cork v Tipperary

Throw-in: 7.15pm

Referee: Eamon Cassidy (Derry)

Admission Prices:

Adults: €15

Students/Senior Citizens: €8

Under 18s: €3

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck to the Senior Camogie team also. If they play to their potential they should be too strong for Galway.

For anyone who can't make it to Thurles, there is live coverage of both semi-final games on RTE2 from 5.15pm, presented by Joanne Cantwell, with analysis from Ann Marie Hayes, Elaine Aylward and Ursula Jacob, and commentary by Rena Buckley and Jill Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Once again, credit to the fixtures committees for spreading out the matches this weekend. Three senior matches on Saturday are scheduled for 2pm, 4.30 pm and 7pm which enables hurling followers to attend all matches. I gave out when fixtures overlapped before so only fair to acknowledge when things are done right

blackcard wrote: »
    Once again, credit to the fixtures committees for spreading out the matches this weekend. Three senior matches on Saturday are scheduled for 2pm, 4.30 pm and 7pm which enables hurling followers to attend all matches. I gave out when fixtures overlapped before so only fair to acknowledge when things are done right

Works well senior and Intermediate taking turns over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

But maybe not for anyone going to the camogie :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Village87 wrote: »

Works well senior and Intermediate taking turns over the weekend
    I think we will have 12 consecutive weeks of senior and/or intermediate action

I think we will have 12 consecutive weeks of senior and/or intermediate action

Great stuff. Hopefully some emerging talent step up. No better place to find them than the club scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Team v Galway
    J Brennan
    P Dempsey J Young D Crehan
    D Maher S Staunton J Harkin
    C Kelly C Kenny
    C Brennan J Buggy G Murphy
    C O'Leary J Morrissey K Hogan
    Subs
    S Keoghan
    P Moylan
    D Coogan
    E Guilfoyle
    H Walsh
    K Rudkins
    D Fogarty
    C Korff
    W Halpin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Team v Galway
    J Brennan
    P Dempsey J Young D Crehan
    D Maher S Staunton J Harkin
    C Kelly C Kenny
    C Brennan J Buggy G Murphy
    C O'Leary J Morrissey K Hogan
    Subs
    S Keoghan
    P Moylan
    D Coogan
    E Guilfoyle
    H Walsh
    K Rudkins
    D Fogarty
    C Korff
    W Halpin

Come on the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I have to agree with Tommy Walsh's statement with his fear for the future of hurling. This is a very serious issue .The GAA,the media and the pundits are singing the praises of the hurling championship this year with bumper crowds and great hurling matches. But all of these people above are making money out of these extra matches which are really pointless and only serve to cost the punter more money to the detriment of the local club scene .Is the GAA going to sell its soul just like the soccer in England which is rotting from the bottom up. Tommy should be supported by all hurling supporters nationwide to turn around this system and create a proper timetable for the club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I went out to gowran yesterday evening for the comer match.Conor delaney appealed his red card and won it so he was playing.
    very dissapointing match with comer offering very little in attack and on last nights evidence could do well to stay up.
    pat lyng was full foward for the rower he got a goal and made the goal for conor joyce.
    Kieran joyce solid at 6 but as i said comer offered very little going foward,there backs held up as much as they could before the floodgates opened but as has being their problem for a number of years scores were very hard come by.
    kevin murphy was lively for the rower and leahy got two points but overall it was a forgettable game for the large crowd.

• Advertisement

What were the conditions like in Gowran? I've been at a number of games there now since they opened the new pitch and regardless of the weather there's been a gale blowing down the field to the road end each time. Surface isn't great on the field either in my opinion. Wouldn't be a fan of the place at all.

What were the conditions like in Gowran? I've been at a number of games there now since they opened the new pitch and regardless of the weather there's been a gale blowing down the field to the road end each time. Surface isn't great on the field either in my opinion. Wouldn't be a fan of the place at all.
    spot on,last night gale blowing into the graveyard end rower had it in the first half.the pitch and ground looked well but from talking to a few lads theres a hill on it but its very open they may look at a bit of shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Kilkenny beat Galway in the camogie 1-10 to 1-07

Well done to the senior camogie team!
    Looking like they will be against Cork for the third year in a row

Anyone at the Village-Shocks match today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well done to the senior camogie team!
    Looking like they will be against Cork for the third year in a row

Certainly will be and it is a game all should look foward to.
    I'm expecting another close and exciting game between the 2 best teams in the land.

Anyone at the Village-Shocks match today?
    i went to it.the shocks were competitive for bout 45 mibs before the village pulled away.john tennyson played as a sweeper in the 1st half and while they kept the score down they struggled up front for scores.Rice,john power and brian o donovan will be a help when they come back but today brassil and dwyer caused the shocks all sorts of trouble.
    went to the Vegas match then who had another good win.A very hard working,physical and disciplined team.ian duggan and Malone got some fine scores while liam ryan and matt kenny tried hard for clara.Tom aylward is a big loss for vegas and john walsh or knox who was impressive last week didnt hurl today.
    clara need to get pender and lester back but up front there struggling and ended up with conor o shea full foward where he played a few year ago.
    finally out in freshford the boro were much better against bragget.brooky started off great and was causing all sorts of trouble but the boro switched things around an oillie walsh had a fine hour while kenny and sheehan inside were very dangerous and ran out deserving winners.Joe brennan finished his goal very well for bragget and kelly went off with what looked like a hanstring injury hopefully not to serious.
    plenty of sweepers on show today maybe it was the wind,the o loughlins match sounded like the best match of the weekend i heard mark bergin very good for them.
    most teams are trying to blood a few players and have players still away or recovering from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

i went to it.the shocks were competitive for bout 45 mibs before the village pulled away.john tennyson played as a sweeper in the 1st half and while they kept the score down they struggled up front for scores.Rice,john power and brian o donovan will be a help when they come back but today brassil and dwyer caused the shocks all sorts of trouble.
    went to the Vegas match then who had another good win.A very hard working,physical and disciplined team.ian duggan and Malone got some fine scores while liam ryan and matt kenny tried hard for clara.Tom aylward is a big loss for vegas and john walsh or knox who was impressive last week didnt hurl today.
    clara need to get pender and lester back but up front there struggling and ended up with conor o shea full foward where he played a few year ago.
    finally out in freshford the boro were much better against bragget.brooky started off great and was causing all sorts of trouble but the boro switched things around an oillie walsh had a fine hour while kenny and sheehan inside were very dangerous and ran out deserving winners.Joe brennan finished his goal very well for bragget and kelly went off with what looked like a hanstring injury hopefully not to serious.
    plenty of sweepers on show today maybe it was the wind,the o loughlins match sounded like the best match of the weekend i heard mark bergin very good for them.
    most teams are trying to blood a few players and have players still away or recovering from injury.

Yeah, 'loughs- 'bridge match was very good. Mark Bergin was excellent at midfield with Lawlor, Deegan and Molloy showing up well in the backs. Very young forward line in which Cian Loy was the best of them but will need to get more out of them if they are to be serious contenders, only 3 points from them over the 60 minutes.

The 'bridge have the majority of their stronger players on the middle three lines leaving them susceptible in the full back line, conceded a lot of frees which Mark Bergin punished. County boys Enda Morrissey, Cleere, Lennon and to a lesser degree Liam Blanchfield hurled well but they are going have to get more out of Sean Morrissey if they are to get to the latter stages.

Best of luck to the minors today! Probably letting my heart rule my head but going for the Kilkenny - Limerick double!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Galways bench the winning of the minor game. Goes to show the strength in depth in Galway at the moment. Minors did well in first half but not good enough to beat this Galway team.
    Who won the u14 and u16 comps this year?

• Advertisement

Being played next week.

Galway team are huge compared to Kilkenny. Kilkenny forwards other than Brennan in the first half not able to win a ball all game. Subs been very poor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement