Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Being played next week.

Galway team are huge compared to Kilkenny. Kilkenny forwards other than Brennan in the first half not able to win a ball all game. Subs been very poor
    no complaints we were out played in the 2nd half but galway took over and seemed to have loose men in defence.we drove a few wides un the first half when we needed to be a bit more ahead to have any chance.Well done to gslway hard luck to our lads

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Kilkenny tired badly which was understandable given the difference in size, thought the backs looked decent, even one big physical player in the forwards would have added a lot to the team. Galway were everything that you expect from a successful minor team, big and strong down the middle with lots of pace on the wings. Decent Kilkenny minor team but when coming up against physical teams were always going to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Hard luck to the minors. Hurled pretty well in the first half and should probably have been up by a few more at half time. I thought Galway were physically superior and out muscled us in the second half plus their subs made a big impact.

The ref made some shocking calls in the second half especially when the game was in the melting pot. I thought he kept them in it with a few soft ones before half time too. Was this the same ref who did the game between the two teams in Thurles?

what are our thoughts after the all ireland?fair play to limerick i was happy to see them winning.Galway couldnt get going untill injury time.Thought casey done very well and kyle hayes was very good but id question ger macs fitness at 6.Galways fowards were snuffed out but limericks fowards worked their socks off.
    leaving nowlan park 12 months ago not many would of predicted todays win kiely and his backroom team deserve huge credit.
    it'll be a level playing field in a few months time and as this year has proved very little between the top few teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Marrooned

As regards the KK minor team today ,I agree that they tired but they also had to contend with a huge Galway crowd when they came out after half time this couldn't be easy on these young lads Anyway on the size of the opposition our lads given time will naturally grow into men and then it will balance things up. At the moment we should really give our under age structure a serious review by getting serious hurling men involved,it is not always the best thing to give the jobs to the boys who always seem to put up their hands, but give these quite men encouragement to go forward with good back room support.just one more thing all young hurlers should be notified on what's app and not by late announcements on the GAA website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Child protection issues over contacting players directly like that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Marrooned wrote: »
    just one more thing all young hurlers should be notified on what's app and not by late announcements on the GAA website.

What's this about?

All details of development squads are posted on the Kilkenny GAA website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Marrooned wrote: »
    I have to agree with Tommy Walsh's statement with his fear for the future of hurling. This is a very serious issue .The GAA,the media and the pundits are singing the praises of the hurling championship this year with bumper crowds and great hurling matches. But all of these people above are making money out of these extra matches which are really pointless and only serve to cost the punter more money to the detriment of the local club scene .Is the GAA going to sell its soul just like the soccer in England which is rotting from the bottom up. Tommy should be supported by all hurling supporters nationwide to turn around this system and create a proper timetable for the club scene.

Great post

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well done to the senior camogie team!
    Looking like they will be against Cork for the third year in a row

They will really have to improve, as it was a scrappy game with a lot of fumbling of ball and very little skill on show to be honest.
    Cork were way too strong for Tipp, and KK will really have to improve to stop Cork on the 9th September.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Village87 wrote: »
    Great post

One time club rugby with the garryowns .Shannon and the other big clubs were on tv and
    Well supported.then came sky money and academy rugby
    And the provenance became the main focus
    We are heading down the same road inter county hurling is a product and is now being mass produced for commercial gain.
    It will become a game for kids where the elite progress to intercounty set ups and the adult club hurler will turn away as they are only a second class citizen .summer soccer from next year will become a very attractive option for any lad in his 20s with a uncertain hurling fixture calender.
    I hope I'm wrong but 10years will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's a serious worry alright, the fact that this was one of the greatest championships ever will make it very difficult to go backwards with it, so if they want hurling to be a sport for players rather than spectators, they'll have to figure out a way to make room for a proper club season with clearly defined dates. Easier said than done. On the negative side midsummer hurling might be out of the question in the current circumstances. On the positive, ending the championship this early should make it easier to run a sustained club season in Autumn when there's still bright enough evenings and hopefully decent weather. For me I was never a fan of running an odd round or two in between championship matches when they could, it left the club player very uncertain and unable to book holidays or do anything, and encouraged crazy long seasons of training where it's impossible to know when to peak for. I'd sacrifice the chance of club matches in June if it meant there was a clearly defined season that wouldn't be interfered with and wasn't going on in the middle of winter.

But that's a very optimistic spin to put on it, my overall impression is the gaa are happy enough to let the club game rot from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It's a serious worry alright, the fact that this was one of the greatest championships ever will make it very difficult to go backwards with it, so if they want hurling to be a sport for players rather than spectators, they'll have to figure out a way to make room for a proper club season with clearly defined dates. Easier said than done. On the negative side midsummer hurling might be out of the question in the current circumstances. On the positive, ending the championship this early should make it easier to run a sustained club season in Autumn when there's still bright enough evenings and hopefully decent weather. For me I was never a fan of running an odd round or two in between championship matches when they could, it left the club player very uncertain and unable to book holidays or do anything, and encouraged crazy long seasons of training where it's impossible to know when to peak for. I'd sacrifice the chance of club matches in June if it meant there was a clearly defined season that wouldn't be interfered with and wasn't going on in the middle of winter.

But that's a very optimistic spin to put on it, my overall impression is the gaa are happy enough to let the club game rot from within.

I'd say next year they'll tweak the group stages in the Leinster and Munster championships. A lot of people saying teams need another week or two of a break in this league section; hard for, and unfair for teams to play 4 straight week-ends in a row. The authorities see, after this year, they are onto a winner and will spread it out a bit....therefore adding more time to the county scene I reckon.

Some good points raised in previous posts - will be hard to change it now after best summer of hurling ever. It's the cash cow - to the detriment of the 95% of club hurlers.

For club lads, it's really 2 seasons - a few games early in year and then it starts again now. They are looking, for all intent and purposes, at 2 pre-seasons in terms of their training.

No structure, no games. It's worse in the 'weaker' (I know, I hate that word) counties, as teams have to contend with football also. So hard on the dual players.

I see in my county that reserve football used to be a big thing - lads who had just finished playing senior and lads who were 18 and 19 who had intentions of making the senior team. Huge interest in it. This year, from the results on the website, the amount of games that are conceded is unreal.

League games in March etc., then a big gap. Now they have 2 games a week this past month and the authorities talk about burnout!! This doesn't take in hurling games even - so some lads could play 3 senior games in a week.

Lads just want regular games, preferably on a weekly basis.

The GAA has being going like rugby this past 5 years anyway, Sky television and development squads etc. It's all about the money but until the public say stop, it won't.

Fair play to Tommy for raising the point.

I'd say next year they'll tweak the group stages in the Leinster and Munster championships. A lot of people saying teams need another week or two of a break in this league section; hard for, and unfair for teams to play 4 straight week-ends in a row. The authorities see, after this year, they are onto a winner and will spread it out a bit....therefore adding more time to the county scene I reckon.

Some good points raised in previous posts - will be hard to change it now after best summer of hurling ever. It's the cash cow - to the detriment of the 95% of club hurlers.

For club lads, it's really 2 seasons - a few games early in year and then it starts again now. They are looking, for all intent and purposes, at 2 pre-seasons in terms of their training.

No structure, no games. It's worse in the 'weaker' (I know, I hate that word) counties, as teams have to contend with football also. So hard on the dual players.

I see in my county that reserve football used to be a big thing - lads who had just finished playing senior and lads who were 18 and 19 who had intentions of making the senior team. Huge interest in it. This year, from the results on the website, the amount of games that are conceded is unreal.

League games in March etc., then a big gap. Now they have 2 games a week this past month and the authorities talk about burnout!! This doesn't take in hurling games even - so some lads could play 3 senior games in a week.

The GAA has being going like rugby this past 5 years anyway, Sky television and development squads etc. It's all about the money but until the public say stop, it won't.

GAA Should condense the early season. Start the league in the 2nd week of Jan. Get rid of league Quarter finals. Id imagine the league is going to take a step back next year. Will be all about getting finding new players and get current players up to the pace for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Village87 wrote: »

GAA Should condense the early season. Start the league in the 2nd week of Jan. Get rid of league Quarter finals. Id imagine the league is going to take a step back next year. Will be all about getting finding new players and get current players up to the pace for May.

Yeah, should go straight into semi-finals. Big thing with Limerick this year, not so with Galway, is they had a really good panel. Lads who came in strengthened the team; Dowling and Ryan etc. Other teams will see this and make sure the give everyone loads of game time in the league for preparation for the group stsges of championship. It's a 30 man panel now and each one is needed.

Quality of bench is marker for how strong your team is.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

It all over now. The team that Kilkenny brought to a replay in the Leinster Final and the team that Kilkenny lost narrowly to, subject to a foul on John Donnelly, met in the final. When the hype of a 45 year gap and a close finish is gone, it will be clear that the quality of hurling was poor and mistake laden, a sure sign of a season that was too long. Limerick were the deserved winners but there is no doubt Kilkenny are close again. A Walsh Cup final lost on a silly free taking competition, League Champions, Leinster finalists and All-Ireland quarter finalists. Obviously Kilkenny expects more and wants more but progress is visible with yet another new squad.

What did we learn? Even with a new system a good league is important. Last year Galway won the League, this year Limerick won promotion. For the second year running the All-Ireland champions came from Division 1B. Surely begs the question yet again about the league format. However, the league is still hugely important both financially for the counties and from a team development point of view. Nobody in teams or counties will want to see it eroded despite what some supporters might think. Finding “good” players in a challenge match scenario is not possible. It has to be competitive like the league has been. Waterford being a clear example of what can happen if you don’t go for it.

No surprise but there is not enough weekends to play the matches. Options, continue as is and the draw of three consecutive weeks decides your fate or stretch out into September again or take back April. The latter two options face the wrath of the clubs, but who cares? Tommy Walsh does, but unless Tommy takes on an active role that wrath is only token. The CPA has been non-existent over the past few months from what can be seen. Most will know I have no faith in the CPA as it stands and Liam Griffin as the choice of main ambassador is not a good one. Someone like Tommy would be a better choice. The clubs are getting on with their business now and when the games finish for the winter and people want something to moan about, then the fixtures for clubs will come to the fore again. However, as pointed out by others the main stakeholders all benefit from more inter county action. I don’t fully agree with Tommy, but I do think we are on the road to a bi-level games organisation, the elite and the clubs. Not sure how it will pan out, but hurling and football will continue despite Tommy’s concerns. There is growing thoughts that the new club calendar is actually great for the young player allowing him to go travelling for the summer without missing games. It will be the third level that will struggle as the club season extends into December.

With the new system winning two in a row is going to be very difficult and nearly impossible to do any more than two. It will take pretty much 12 consecutive wins to win the All-Ireland two years running. There was a time when that would be a much coveted 3 in a row, if not 4 and it was rare counties achieved that. It’s another reason why the system will never go away now as the GAA will be delighted to see different winners on a regular basis, all spreading the word and promoting the game nationwide. People can complain all they like about limited club action, but I’m sure in Limerick, there will be a massive boom in GAA participation after this win.

With the clubs back in action, a lot of people are wondering about new candidates for the senior squad. I don’t believe there are any or will be any. With the current development squad system, every possible player has been involved in squads between 14 and 16. All the potential players are known. The main ones progress to minor and Under-21. If they aren’t found by 16, they aren’t suddenly going to become hugely talented hurlers. Some lads may have been forgotten though after 16. Most of these are usually with Junior adult clubs. Even if you look at posts here, nobody cares much about the junior club player or junior matches. I don’t see too many posting they were at such and such a junior match. There is a separate Junior board which replaced the old North and South boards but are still the same old personnel. It’s a case of ye look after them lads in your retirement and we’ll deal with the better teams. Surely junior first teams should be treated the same as any other first team. Anyway, the bottom line is that there is no new Derek Lyng or Martin Comerford going to appear out of nowhere in my opinion.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    It all over now. The team that Kilkenny brought to a replay in the Leinster Final and the team that Kilkenny lost narrowly to, subject to a foul on John Donnelly, met in the final. When the hype of a 45 year gap and a close finish is gone, it will be clear that the quality of hurling was poor and mistake laden, a sure sign of a season that was too long. Limerick were the deserved winners but there is no doubt Kilkenny are close again. A Walsh Cup final lost on a silly free taking competition, League Champions, Leinster finalists and All-Ireland quarter finalists. Obviously Kilkenny expects more and wants more but progress is visible with yet another new squad.

What did we learn? Even with a new system a good league is important. Last year Galway won the League, this year Limerick won promotion. For the second year running the All-Ireland champions came from Division 1B. Surely begs the question yet again about the league format. However, the league is still hugely important both financially for the counties and from a team development point of view. Nobody in teams or counties will want to see it eroded despite what some supporters might think. Finding “good” players in a challenge match scenario is not possible. It has to be competitive like the league has been. Waterford being a clear example of what can happen if you don’t go for it.

No surprise but there is not enough weekends to play the matches. Options, continue as is and the draw of three consecutive weeks decides your fate or stretch out into September again or take back April. The latter two options face the wrath of the clubs, but who cares? Tommy Walsh does, but unless Tommy takes on an active role that wrath is only token. The CPA has been non-existent over the past few months from what can be seen. Most will know I have no faith in the CPA as it stands and Liam Griffin as the choice of main ambassador is not a good one. Someone like Tommy would be a better choice. The clubs are getting on with their business now and when the games finish for the winter and people want something to moan about, then the fixtures for clubs will come to the fore again. However, as pointed out by others the main stakeholders all benefit from more inter county action. I don’t fully agree with Tommy, but I do think we are on the road to a bi-level games organisation, the elite and the clubs. Not sure how it will pan out, but hurling and football will continue despite Tommy’s concerns. There is growing thoughts that the new club calendar is actually great for the young player allowing him to go travelling for the summer without missing games. It will be the third level that will struggle as the club season extends into December.

With the new system winning two in a row is going to be very difficult and nearly impossible to do any more than two. It will take pretty much 12 consecutive wins to win the All-Ireland two years running. There was a time when that would be a much coveted 3 in a row, if not 4 and it was rare counties achieved that. It’s another reason why the system will never go away now as the GAA will be delighted to see different winners on a regular basis, all spreading the word and promoting the game nationwide. People can complain all they like about limited club action, but I’m sure in Limerick, there will be a massive boom in GAA participation after this win.

With the clubs back in action, a lot of people are wondering about new candidates for the senior squad. I don’t believe there are any or will be any. With the current development squad system, every possible player has been involved in squads between 14 and 16. All the potential players are known. The main ones progress to minor and Under-21. If they aren’t found by 16, they aren’t suddenly going to become hugely talented hurlers. Some lads may have been forgotten though after 16. Most of these are usually with Junior adult clubs. Even if you look at posts here, nobody cares much about the junior club player or junior matches. I don’t see too many posting they were at such and such a junior match. There is a separate Junior board which replaced the old North and South boards but are still the same old personnel. It’s a case of ye look after them lads in your retirement and we’ll deal with the better teams. Surely junior first teams should be treated the same as any other first team. Anyway, the bottom line is that there is no new Derek Lyng or Martin Comerford going to appear out of nowhere in my opinion.

Gone are the days when Kilkenny had to peak for an All Ireland Semi Final because they were all but guaranteed to be there in the first place.
    It is very hard to win an All Ireland in this new format. The format is like the Senior club Championship now

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Hawkeye, while I understand you saying that no one is going to appear out of nowhere, there are still guys who might have been involved underage who have gone away for a year or two and could now emerge as serious players.

For example I watched the Village Boro last week and was really impressed with Mullins and Brasil, both guys are known of course but I thought they both had come on leaps and bounds since I saw them in the KK jersey underage.

I also saw Ballyragget games and was impressed with Mick Brennan who I think has improved a lot, I know he was in training with KK this year and some people might not think he will get into the 15 or 26 in the future but at least he is showing some form.

Again even Kevin Farrell showed well against M'Vat and is a guy that some people might say ' ah he's been in and around before he mustn't have it'.

In other group you've the likes of young Bolger showing up well for O'Loughlins and Ballyhale giving a lot of good young hurlers game time.

On a side note i'd be interested to hear what people think of the Shocks being the first KK senior team I can remember who seem to be really committed to playing a sweeper system? I think they might suffer in the league but if the weather changes and pitches slow down, they'd be a very very difficult team to play in a relegation semi final.. big worry for them in my opinion is that some of the old guard can't go on forever, I just don't know how they will replace Tennyson and Dalton in the next few years and stay up in senior.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Hawkeye, while I understand you saying that no one is going to appear out of nowhere, there are still guys who might have been involved underage who have gone away for a year or two and could now emerge as serious players.

For example I watched the Village Boro last week and was really impressed with Mullins and Brasil, both guys are known of course but I thought they both had come on leaps and bounds since I saw them in the KK jersey underage.

I also saw Ballyragget games and was impressed with Mick Brennan who I think has improved a lot, I know he was in training with KK this year and some people might not think he will get into the 15 or 26 in the future but at least he is showing some form.

None of the players you mention are unknowns. They are lads who been in the setup or due to come in when the time comes but have been involved in at least minor.

The one possible place I referred to where the unknown might come from is Junior and like most, you haven't mentioned any junior matches you've been to. The problem is any of these who did show some promise underage but did not quiet make it have gone back to clubs where the standard of coaching and quality of play is poor. There needs to be some thought in how to get those guys with potential in that might mature after development squads. There are guys playing in junior who could be huge additions if they get a chance with the big names for a while. A bit like picking up Jamie Vardy from anon league club in soccer terms, if you know what I mean. But the first step has to be to recognize the junior first teams on the same footing albeit a class below as the other first teams

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    None of the players you mention are unknowns. They are lads who been in the setup or due to come in when the time comes but have been involved in at least minor.

The one possible place I referred to where the unknown might come from is Junior and like most, you haven't mentioned any junior matches you've been to. The problem is any of these who did show some promise underage but did not quiet make it have gone back to clubs where the standard of coaching and quality of play is poor. There needs to be some thought in how to get those guys with potential in that might mature after development squads. There are guys playing in junior who could be huge additions if they get a chance with the big names for a while. A bit like picking up Jamie Vardy from anon league club in soccer terms, if you know what I mean. But the first step has to be to recognize the junior first teams on the same footing albeit a class below as the other first teams

Just curious to know who some of these players might be in your opinion??

• Advertisement

Just curious to know who some of these players might be in your opinion??

A lot of teenagers or 20/21 year olds are sometimes overwhelmed, nervous, intimidated by older players etc to get the very best potential out of them in county squads. Sometimes a player needs to be 23 r 24 before they are ready mentally. Too many players are written off or deemed not good enough before they are even ready mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I have seen Paulstown, Conahy, Emeralds, Windgap and Dunnamaggin this year, been some very poor fare in a few of the games ive seen albeit some were in Secondary competitions.

By your criteria Hawkeye the guys standing out aren't unknown, Delaney with Conahy, Cody and Costello in Dunna are all former minors/21s or squads players

The simple fact is their will never be a Jamie Vardy in KK hurling because in all reality the playing pool from Senior to Junior is not massive and pretty much every player is known at county level.

Gorta and Lyng are often cited but in reality neither was plucked from nowhere, both had shown form at club albeit were extremely raw, im not sure who in Junior hurling today compares to that

Of course there are late developers in terms of inter county but even those guys have usually been well regarded on the club scene before they step up.

The last few 'shock' call ups to KK seniors from nowhere like Rockett a few years ago havent produced any results

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Congrats to Limerick great for the game. A few things to note from this years championship.
    1. The game has totally changed with puck outs and precision passes etc and any team that fails to change will be blown out.
    2. Wide counts are not as important as in previous years with the way tackles etc. have gone. The 'D' is so well protected now outfield points are essential.
    3. The full forward will get a few chances to convert and must make maximum use of possession.
    4. Free takers are very important now and it is desirable to have at least two.
    5. Age profile of the inter county hurler is getting younger.
    6. Wining the Provincial championship is of less relevance and even less rewarding going forward.
    7. It is virtually impossible to win both league and all Ireland in the one year.
    8. It will be very hard to retain the All Ireland Title.
    9. A two man full forward line is desirable.
    10. The sweeper system alone wont win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Galways bench the winning of the minor game. Goes to show the strength in depth in Galway at the moment. Minors did well in first half but not good enough to beat this Galway team.
    Who won the u14 and u16 comps this year?

Development Squads competitions are on this Weekend. Tony Forristal still an under 14 competition in which we should be serious contenders. The Arrabawn is now run as an under 15 competition and the Michael Foley(Leinster teams only) is now run at under 16 though there is an under 16 B team going to compete in a B team competition down in Cork which could be car crash territory!:eek:

There's some special hurlers on that U14 team but obviously that's just from seeing them in Kilkenny so interesting to see how they match up at inter county level.

Did the U15s qualify for the Arrabawn proper? You had to qualify this year and they lost to Cork at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 killer kelly

Kilkenny failed to qualify for the Tier one cup of the Arrabawn they are playing in the shield section starting with a semi final against Waterford

Thought that. Disappointing.

Again even Kevin Farrell showed well against M'Vat and is a guy that some people might say ' ah he's been in and around before he mustn't have it'.

In other group you've the likes of young Bolger showing up well for O'Loughlins and Ballyhale giving a lot of good young hurlers game time.

On a side note i'd be interested to hear what people think of the Shocks being the first KK senior team I can remember who seem to be really committed to playing a sweeper system? I think they might suffer in the league but if the weather changes and pitches slow down, they'd be a very very difficult team to play in a relegation semi final.. big worry for them in my opinion is that some of the old guard can't go on forever, I just don't know how they will replace Tennyson and Dalton in the next few years and stay up in senior.
    i also try to get to a as much club matches as i can and i thought huw lawlor and conor browne are two id like to see get league time next year both were either on the panel or extended panel this year.
    brian knows nearly every club player on the county and he had neary 50 lads up the end of the league.
    I know injuries are part and parcel of hurling but no doubt we were a bit unlucky not to have kelly and wally at the business end of the season.
    im delighted we have bloodied lads like scanlon,mossy,donnelly and leahy(donnelly has great potential brillant vision and touch)
    i dont think his going to shift buckley or padraig but i hope he at least tries lads during the league maybe joe lyng or cleere at 6 and huw lawlor or delaney at 3.we'd be far better with the two lads out on the wings.Id also like the two mullens brought in and walsh and bolger given another go.
    I was at a few matches last weekend and comer played very deep when high scoring was never their game.Clara had langton as their sweeper with a gale behind them and john tennyson was their sweeper and niall tennyson who is a back up in the forwards.Maybe when rice and john power come back they might revert back but i believe johnstown only play with 4 fowards aswell so maybe this is the way teams are setting up

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Just on the topic of the new hurling format,I think the Walsh cup will die out and the National league will take over the mantel of the lesser competition for interested counties. This would be a real pity but there has to be room made somewhere. On the local scene I think there should be an extraordinary general meeting of the Kilkenny county board before Christmas,preferably November to discuss our local issues as regards a proper hurling timetable and also have an imput by the county management team to see what there requirements are so that conflict can be avoided afterwards and maybe put forward solutions on a national level.RANT OVER.Huw Lawlor seems to be coming to the fore for a real contender for county full back ,if this is the case then there will be great competition for this position with Conor Delaney,what do ye think of that.

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    i also try to get to a as much club matches as i can and i thought huw lawlor and conor browne are two id like to see get league time next year both were either on the panel or extended panel this year.
    brian knows nearly every club player on the county and he had neary 50 lads up the end of the league.
    I know injuries are part and parcel of hurling but no doubt we were a bit unlucky not to have kelly and wally at the business end of the season.
    im delighted we have bloodied lads like scanlon,mossy,donnelly and leahy(donnelly has great potential brillant vision and touch)
    i dont think his going to shift buckley or padraig but i hope he at least tries lads during the league maybe joe lyng or cleere at 6 and huw lawlor or delaney at 3.we'd be far better with the two lads out on the wings.Id also like the two mullens brought in and walsh and bolger given another go.
    I was at a few matches last weekend and comer played very deep when high scoring was never their game.Clara had langton as their sweeper with a gale behind them and john tennyson was their sweeper and niall tennyson who is a back up in the forwards.Maybe when rice and john power come back they might revert back but i believe johnstown only play with 4 fowards aswell so maybe this is the way teams are setting up

Yeah the use of the sweeper in Kilkenny club is a big thing this year. Iv seen it with Carrickshock against ourselves, i heard PJ Ryan brought it into Fenians. Thomastown also played with a sweeper in front of the full back line and a midfielder just in front of the half back line, was awful to watch last week and really neglected there scoring threat, they have scored 23 points in 2 matches.
    Fenians have scored 4 goals in 2 matches if they played with 6 forwards that could double :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement