Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

They must be getting sick of those Mullens in the Ballyhale club last year it was the U21s sent off yesterday, Tj did a lot of scoring for them up to now he had an off day yesterday see somebody putting it down to his age the man never let his club or county down . The Bridge beat them all ready this year don't think they will have to much nerves playing them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

As an aside I was only in for the second half of the Junior and it was desperate.

Well done to Dunamaggin all the same.

I have said here before there is an issue that Kilkenny junior hurling and it is getting poorer standard wise. I think the days when our junior teams would beat senior teams in other counties is on the wane. The coaches at many of these clubs are poor and many of them are paying huge money to physical trainers with zero payback. If it continues it will not be long before the junior will be dominated by the second teams from the top clubs in Senior who have the better coaches.

This year was particularly poor and it wasn't helped by all the "stronger" teams being in the one group which provided the two finalists. Piltown played three teams from the "weaker" group to qualify for the final. Graignamangh should have beaten them. Galmoy were without some top players including their free taker and Slieverue... The biggest mystery of the junior this year is how Emeralds could possibly have been beaten by 14 man Slieverue. Although Piltown forwards got lots of plaudits from their performance against Slieverue, They were never going to score goals as easy against anyone else and a very poor Slieverue still managed to score more points than Piltown. This showed yesterday when Piltown failed to score a point from play after the 15th minute. So much for the all the talk about the strong forwards they have. Dunnamaggin were way ahead of anyone in the junior but as someone said they should not have been there as they really threw it away against Lachatains last year. They will be a good team in Intermediate if they can survive their first year. Lots of talent coming on and an inhouse management team.

TJ Reid missed three very scorable frees against the Rower in Inistioge. Is he concentrating too much on the physical at the expense of the accuracy? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 swengall

At the end of the day, Shamrocks got the job done with Joey Holden, Darren Mullen and Ronan Corcoran being their outstanding players (there seems to be more of a focus on who didn't go well as opposed to the lads who did!).

Comer were unlucky, there could have been a free out for play that led to winning goal. They had a huge crowd behind them and the players and mgt didn't let them down.

The final now is very much 50:50 with Adrian Mullen suspended (it could be appealed). Shamrocks may have gotten the fright that wakes them up, then again you would expect the Bridge forwards to score more than Comer.

It should be a bumper crowd next Sunday with the intermediate final highly anticipated.

Tullaroan and Shamrocks will be the respective favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That game will bring Shamrocks on a tonne. Comer were razor sharp playing their 5th week in a row whereas Ballyhale were coming off a 3 week break. The game was very stop start as well particularly in the second half which suited Comer as Shamrocks could never get any momentum going.

While TJ wasn't great from frees yesterday he was still decent from play while not looking unbeatable. People saying is he suffering from a long year or is he focusing on the physical side too much after one game when he scored 1-15 in the quarter final and put on an exhibition 3 weeks ago have serious expectations. Not as if he was marking a nobody either, Delaney has been excellent the last few weeks. The frees were poor and the last one he hit was weird as he pulled it and sent it high compared to his normal technique - just an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

swengall wrote: »
    At the end of the day, Shamrocks got the job done with Joey Holden, Darren Mullen and Ronan Corcoran being their outstanding players (there seems to be more of a focus on who didn't go well as opposed to the lads who did!).

Comer were unlucky, there could have been a free out for play that led to winning goal. They had a huge crowd behind them and the players and mgt didn't let them down.

The final now is very much 50:50 with Adrian Mullen suspended (it could be appealed). Shamrocks may have gotten the fright that wakes them up, then again you would expect the Bridge forwards to score more than Comer.

It should be a bumper crowd next Sunday with the intermediate final highly anticipated.

Tullaroan and Shamrocks will be the respective favourites

Darren Mullen and Joey Holden were very poor yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

larrya wrote: »
    Eoin Cody is 18 and may have started one senior game, so I fail to see how he could have been poor starting previously.

I'm a big fan of Eoin Cody, very talented player, I just think he was much better coming on as a sub and he was excellent against Dicksboro and Erin's Own. He should get his chanCe (to start) against Bennettsbridge now.

How did the Shamrocks win yesterday, every one of them seems to be rated (on here) as playing poorly....down to 14 players.......?

Thought Joey was excellent in the last 10 minutes myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    The biggest mystery of the junior this year is how Emeralds could possibly have been beaten by 14 man Slieverue.

No mystery, they just out hurled them during the second half with a man less and got a late goal to push them over the line. No mystery when Slieverue bet Emeralds last year either, again they were the better team. They also took out Conahy last year and Windgap this year who finished 2nd in the "stronger" group.

Very little between Slieverue in Piltown over the past nr of years, Piltown got off to an incredible start in the semi which Slieverue never recovered from. Agreed that Dunnamaggin were the best team in the grade this year, steady all the way without having any major peaks or valleys.

Mooncoin will be the team to beat next year in junior bar one of the senior clubs enter a very strong side. Some rumours going around that suggest all is not well in the Mooncoin camp so junior could be very open again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

What a battle that senior game was yesterday. You have to admire Comer and the way they have played over the last couple of weeks. Really should have been awarded a free out in the build up to Ballyhale goal and can rightfully feel hard done by. Best possible game in the end for Ballyhale. Getting a real test, playing below their best and still coming out on the right side with 14 men. That game should stand to them but the week turnaround may be an issue and there seemed to be a good few knocks sustained by some key men. Hard to see them all being 100% next weekend. Mullen going to be a loss too.

It is going to be an interesting final. Ballyhale surely won't be as wasteful and can't see Bennettsbridge being as physical in the tackle or breaks as Comer were. Bennettsbridge have better forwards and will be a sterner test for Ballyhale defence. 2 teams who like to play a good brand of hurling. If the weather stays someway fine over the next week should lead to a cracking encounter.

Best of luck to both teams!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭big_drive

Lads, i presume a sell out on Sunday? What time is first game?

I'm in Cork but thinking of heading up as i said for years i'd love to see Tommy Walsh play with his club. Next weekend is a good chance to take in what i presume will be a decent double header

big_drive wrote: »

I'm in Cork but thinking of heading up as i said for years i'd love to see Tommy Walsh play with his club. Next weekend is a good chance to take in what i presume will be a decent double header

1st game is 1pm with Senior on at 3pm. It won't be a sell out but suspect it will be the largest crowd in a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭big_drive

Neewollah wrote: »
    1st game is 1pm with Senior on at 3pm. It won't be a sell out but suspect it will be the largest crowd in a good few years.
    Thanks. could be a nice little road trip for a bank holiday weekend.

big_drive wrote: »

Nowlan Park holds 22,500 capacity, if there is 10,000-11,000 next Sunday, it will be a great crowd but you never know, both games now are viewed as 50:50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

The best performance by any club that I have seen this year was that of Ballyhale against Dicksboro and the best individual performance was that of TJ in that match. Of Ballyhale's 16 wides yesterday, you would normally expect them to score at least half of them and I would expect normal service to be resumed next Sunday. Adrian Mullen is a big loss but Eoin Cody and Mark Aylward would be starting for most clubs. I think the first 20 minutes will be important as Bennettsbridge are lacking experience at this level and will need a good start to settle their nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

There are a few match ups that I am looking forward to next Sunday. Liam Blanchfield will probably be marked by Joey Holden and Mick Fennelly at different times, TJ will probably be marked by Jason Cleere while Colin Fennelly will be marked by Robert Lennon. If the Bridge can limit the damage from TJ and Colin, they might have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

willie phelan has had a very good year for his club and looks to be in good shape.Do any of ye think he has anything to offer at county level again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Erins Own not getting much credit on this forum for their performances in this championship...
    Posters saying Carrickshock had them beaten twice ( not true)… they only drew with and subsequently beat the village because the game was in Ballyragget (shock of the decade?)

They had the Shamrocks beaten yesterday but for the ref missing the foul on Aidan Moran in the lead up to the Shamrocks goal... again most posters putting it down to the Shamrocks having an off day.

Comer were excellent yesterday with Conor Fogarty outstanding ( another man that ships a lot of criticism from some posters on here)… Conor Delaney stuck to his task of marking TJ very well too.

I know TJ hadn't his best day on the frees but there was a swirling wind in the park yesterday that made free taking difficult... Murphy missed a couple of close ones too but had a very good game, clipped over some lovely scores and won his battle with Mick Fennelly hands down.

I thought Ciaran Wallace (I think?) had a hell of a game at full back on Colin also. I was gutted for them at the final whistle to be honest. Horrible way to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Willie phelan to me always looked a little unfit.but has alot of talent and I wouldnt write anyone off at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Erins Own not getting much credit on this forum for their performances in this championship...
    Posters saying Carrickshock had them beaten twice ( not true)… they only drew with and subsequently beat the village because the game was in Ballyragget (shock of the decade?)

They had the Shamrocks beaten yesterday but for the ref missing the foul on Aidan Moran in the lead up to the Shamrocks goal... again most posters putting it down to the Shamrocks having an off day.

Comer were excellent yesterday with Conor Fogarty outstanding ( another man that ships a lot of criticism from some posters on here)… Conor Delaney stuck to his task of marking TJ very well too.

I know TJ hadn't his best day on the frees but there was a swirling wind in the park yesterday that made free taking difficult... Murphy missed a couple of close ones too but had a very good game, clipped over some lovely scores and won his battle with Mick Fennelly hands down.

I thought Ciaran Wallace (I think?) had a hell of a game at full back on Colin also. I was gutted for them at the final whistle to be honest. Horrible way to lose.

Have to agree would have been a famous win for Erins own and provided for a novel final only for the ref to miss an obvious foul in the build up to the goal. It was said in a previous post about the players deserving better the two refs in the semi finals were well below the standard required( at least the guy yesterday used his cards). Dont know if I have seen one game since the club scene got going where the ref was up with play . Would be interested to know what these guys do in terms of fitness tests / training.

With that rant over I really felt for erins own we all had them wrote off yesterday. The village was a shock last week. Yesterday would really have been. That said I can't see joey tj darren Mullen ect been as poor again next week. To me shamrocks still favorites but the bridge will take massive encouragement from yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Fitness seems to be a big thing with refs alright, aside from yesterday, I've seen Maurice Flynn and Richard Dowling reffing matches recently without being anywhere near keeping up with the flow of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

we all thought the village wouldnt be beaten the 2nd day and couldnt be as poor theres no guarantees the shamrocks will win sunday and especially with a few injuries and a suspension hanging over them although i suspect they'll appeal mullens red card.
    intresting to see the wexford champions were junior 6 year ago could be a good omen for the bridge.It shoukd be a good match both teams will go out and hurl

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Fitness seems to be a big thing with refs alright, aside from yesterday, I've seen Maurice Flynn and Richard Dowling reffing matches recently without being anywhere near keeping up with the flow of the game.

Agree completely with you. I just feel its not good enough this time of the year. Players training ten months to be given someone who looks like they haven't trained just something I have picked up on the last while. I know its easy to be critical from a keyboard. But to much at stake for players to be given a referee who is either unfit or lacking a knowledge of the rules

Has anyone a report on the intermediate match.tullaroan cost me a good bet.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Has anyone a report on the intermediate match.tullaroan cost me a good bet.

What do you mean they cost you they werent playing this weekend. There was no intermediate this weekend

Interesting to note that our Inter county ref hasn't got any county final this year and didn't get either semi final of the senior. I find that very hard to understand. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but is extremely fit and well able to keep up with the play. As our only ref on the elite panel surely he should be getting the biggest game of the club season.

That's a fair point. Don't think I know the Cahill lad who's got the county final (will probably recognise him when I see him) but Burke as standby is the best ref in the county in my opinion.

What do you mean they cost you they werent playing this weekend. There was no intermediate this weekend
    Sorry saw somewhere on twitter it was a draw.will have to go to boyles as the game was down on the coupon for yesterday.

Just checked tullaroan minors drew(I didnt read the bloody thing right)thanks for letting me know.feel like a bloody fool.

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Sorry saw somewhere on twitter it was a draw.will have to go to boyles as the game was down on the coupon for yesterday.

Their minors drew yesterday. Intermediate final is next Sunday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement