Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

That's a fair point. Don't think I know the Cahill lad who's got the county final (will probably recognise him when I see him) but Burke as standby is the best ref in the county in my opinion.

Paul cahill is the guy who hurled with dunnamagin had a run with the county for a little bit from what I remember . Was always liable to pull a stroke or two.refs totally different very strict on the rules . Could see it been a shoot out between tj and nicky Cleere on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

chg1980 wrote: »
    Charlie69 wrote: »
    Erins Own not getting much credit on this forum for their performances in this championship...
    Posters saying Carrickshock had them beaten twice ( not true)… they only drew with and subsequently beat the village because the game was in Ballyragget (shock of the decade?)

They had the Shamrocks beaten yesterday but for the ref missing the foul on Aidan Moran in the lead up to the Shamrocks goal... again most posters putting it down to the Shamrocks having an off day.

Comer were excellent yesterday with Conor Fogarty outstanding ( another man that ships a lot of criticism from some posters on here)… Conor Delaney stuck to his task of marking TJ very well too.

I know TJ hadn't his best day on the frees but there was a swirling wind in the park yesterday that made free taking difficult... Murphy missed a couple of close ones too but had a very good game, clipped over some lovely scores and won his battle with Mick Fennelly hands down.

I thought Ciaran Wallace (I think?) had a hell of a game at full back on Colin also. I was gutted for them at the final whistle to be honest. Horrible way to lose.

Have to agree would have been a famous win for Erins own and provided for a novel final only for the ref to miss an obvious foul in the build up to the goal. It was said in a previous post about the players deserving better the two refs in the semi finals were well below the standard required( at least the guy yesterday used his cards). Dont know if I have seen one game since the club scene got going where the ref was up with play . Would be interested to know what these guys do in terms of fitness tests / training.

With that rant over I really felt for erins own we all had them wrote off yesterday. The village was a shock last week. Yesterday would really have been. That said I can't see joey tj darren Mullen ect been as poor again next week. To me shamrocks still favorites but the bridge will take massive encouragement from yesterday
    You would definitely feel for Castlecomer as, if the referee had awarded that blatant free in the lead up to the Ballyhale goal, they would have got into their first final since 1979 with at least a 50:50 chance of their first ever title. Heartbreaking for them and their supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1054456851360870400?s=19

https://twitter.com/pasaint/status/1054452727131095043?s=19

The jerseys for the Amanda Stapleton fundraising game between Kilkenny and Tipp are nicer than our actual jerseys in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Cody has his say, something a lot on here and around the county have been saying for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

they only drew with and subsequently beat the village because the game was in Ballyragget (shock of the decade?)

I was the one who made that comment "biggest shock in a decade", nobody has come up with a bigger one...maybe you can?

I praised Erin's Own on here (after Shamrocks match), they should have won but didn't, the Shamrocks were there for the taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I was the one who made that comment "biggest shock in a decade", nobody has come up with a bigger one...maybe you can?

I praised Erin's Own on here (after Shamrocks match), they should have won but didn't, the Shamrocks were there for the taking.

There aren't really many match results in Kilkenny Senior Hurling that would be considered major shocks regardless of the outcome. All teams are relatively close in standard.
    Carrickshock should probably have beaten Comer in tbe first round, they didn't and have since been relegated. And Comer should then have beaten Shamrocks to qualify for a county final appearance. It is a fine line between the top and bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Wasn't at the game but by all accounts it seems the shamrocks were lucky, any chance the Mullen red card will be overturned?. Very unlike TJ to miss frees but he did the same vs the rower.

The shamrocks and tullaron will be favourites going in but both coming off below par perfromances. This will either help or hinder their performances Sunday, I personally feel it will help them and think the two favourites will win. Although bennetsbridge are well ust to winning and won't fear the shamrocks. As someone eariler mentioned gorey beat the martins in the Wexford championship final a big upset. They won because their county stars hurled well and the martins lads didn't I think it will be similar in the the senior final Sunday. If Lennon cleere morresisy blanch hurl well they'll have a right chance. I picked ballyhale from the start but i hope we see two high quality close games. Best of luck to all 4 clubs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Cody has his say, something a lot on here and around the county have been saying for a while now.

When are the CPA expected back from their holidays.

Seriously, its good Brian spoke out.

Came across a minor team manager who was delighted there were no minor club games over the summer. He has a small pick and with holidays, Irish college etc. would have struggled to field a team over the summer. Now they are back at school, all the players are around. Interesting opposing viewpoint.

There aren't really many match results in Kilkenny Senior Hurling that would be considered major shocks regardless of the outcome. All teams are relatively close in standard.
    Carrickshock should probably have beaten Comer in tbe first round, they didn't and have since been relegated. And Comer should then have beaten Shamrocks to qualify for a county final appearance. It is a fine line between the top and bottom.

To me, a major shock is the current League Champions and who were in last year's Co. Final, being defeated (after a replay) by a team that were one of the favourites for relegation, that's not an insult to Erin's Own, there the facts. I cannot think of a situation in the last ten years where there has been a result that is close to that situation.

Dunnamaggin nearly beat Shamrocks in Hugginstown in 2007, that would have been a shock (if it had happened)....

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

Came across a minor team manager who was delighted there were no minor club games over the summer. He has a small pick and with holidays, Irish college etc. would have struggled to field a team over the summer. Now they are back at school, all the players are around. Interesting opposing viewpoint.

It's all well and good talking about summer hurling for clubs etc....the realistic situation is that during the summer months adult teams have the leaving cert, holidays and J1's to America to deal with. No club is going to play serious games minus any of their star players who may be affected by these. Same goes for underage teams. Rural clubs are decimated with holidays during the summer months. No way they will want to play any serious championship matches in that period and would do well to even field teams in some circumstances.

Currently we have Byrne cup etc being run during the summer. Talks of trying to make these competitions more meaningful but at the end of the day players know that they are only minor tournaments and it just doesn't live up to the league/championship games.

As a whole I felt KK had a good system going with the 2 games in April, 1 in July (would be missing J1s for this game) and 1 or 2 in August depending on how KK were going. This new intercounty set up has ruined that. Hard to see where improvements can be made to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

they only drew with and subsequently beat the village because the game was in Ballyragget (shock of the decade?)

That is complete utter crap!! As i already explained a depleted clara team over turning a 7 point  half deficit to a hotly fancied OLG team was a far greater shock and thats only taking this years championship into consideration. The village struggled to be 13men Ballyragget, beat a very poor Carickshock team and beat a Boro team that were minus numerous of their strongest players. When you take that all into consideration and look in dept at their team.......Comers win over them not that major of a suprise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

and to further muddy the waters, Next year , the Kilkenny District league changes to summer football soccer .
    Just as an example, next summer in our parish the same pool of U12 + U14 + U16 girls will have Camogie + Gaelic Football + Soccer to try fit into the summer months !
    Theres a small amount of girls that play , with U12s having to play with the U14 to make a squad, and t he U14s doing the same to help the U16s !
    Something will have to give, and it will end up with teams being pulled even a few of the girls (quite reasonably) decide to stop playing 1 or 2 of the sports , thereby creating a situation where the team haven't enough players to continue ! Madness !!!!! How is that going to help keep the girls interested in sports???? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Word on the Street in that Adrian Mullen will be cleared to play on Sunday. Big boost for the Shamrocks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Notabot

Neewollah wrote: »
    Word on the Street in that Adrian Mullen will be cleared to play on Sunday. Big boost for the Shamrocks
    On what grounds.

Notabot wrote: »
    On what grounds.

Apparently video evidence shows there was no strike. What I've been told. Could all just be rumours. It's crazy season!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

On what grounds.

Apparently video evidence shows there was no strike. What I've been told. Could all just be rumours. It's crazy season!!
    i had heard it was appealed but I seen today the player from the laois county final that injured ross king got cleared to play the wexford champs after getting a ban also cathal dunbar from wexford was allowed play the county final last sunday.More often than not there cleared to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Yep heard today Adrian Mullen has been cleared to play against Bennettsbridge. He will be a big addition if he can hit the sort of form he is capable of reaching.

I love the brand of hurling Bennettsbridge play, be good to see them win and have a right cut off of Leinster.

conor05 wrote: »
    Yep heard today Adrian Mullen has been cleared to play against Bennettsbridge. He will be a big addition if he can hit the sort of form he is capable of reaching.

Considering the disciplinary meeting is this evening in Nowlan Park, you must be psychic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Via whatsapp surely...

The red card has been overturned, Adrian Mullen is cleared to play in the Senior Co. Final on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Ah! It wasn't caught on video so it didn't happen defence.
    I wonder why the player in question was simulating striking to the ref so much when it wasn't on video in the first place, any of it.

All that aside, it wouldn't surprise me if it is rescinded.

"Violence" in the GAA is probably no worse now than it was in the past. The issue now is once it goes on for more than a couple of seconds, the phones come out to record it and make it viral.

there are a lot of complaints about referees here and I won't disagree that the standard of refereeing in the county is sub standard (yet some are the first to have a go at refs from other counties), but it is hard to get quality refs involved when they know they will get huge abuse from the sideline, let alone the supporters and who when they make a disciplinary call, it is almost inevitably overturned on technicalities of some sort, especially to make lads available for Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

The video showed there was no strike.The question should be asked how a referee a linesman and two of his umpires saw something that didn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

On what grounds.
    On the grounds that Well Fed Ned & co want to be Henry's best friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

This is how Kilkenny camogie are going to pay for a new grounds.bit like the tithe war brewing.

This is how Kilkenny camogie are going to pay for a new grounds.bit like the tithe war brewing.

Source of that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Sent to all clubs from the county board this week. Thank God for ned

Sent to all clubs from the county board this week. Thank God for ned

wow !!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Notabot

On what grounds.

Poor Ned as the 3rd leg on the stool of almost 2 decades of unprecedented success he gets more unfair grief than deserved praise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

it must be said €15 to get in sunday for potentially two very good matches is great value.Well done to the organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

brookville wrote: »
    it must be said €15 to get in sunday for potentially two very good matches is great value.Well done to the organisers.

Absolutely, terrific value. Hopefully we will get two good games. I know the Cork county final was €25 which had an attendance of circa 10k. Some took to twitter to complain about ticket prices and vent their frustration which led to the county board chairperson saying that they were given a directive from Croke Park to charge at least €20 for all county finals and that their price of €25 represented fantastic value.
    I think the Tipperary county final had an entry fee of €20 which had an attendance of 7k. While I have been critical of the co. board before, I have to say well done for making it a very fair price for supporters. I reckon there'll be a massive crowd in Nowlan Park on Sunday. There is a huge interest in both finals, I think there could be 13/14k in for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement