Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Thought ref made a really good job of the game. Hadn't heard of him before. Allowed for a good physical flowing game of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Any truth in the rumour the bridge objected to the appointment of that ref last week.but were turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

The referee missed the foul on Jason Cleere in the build-up to the first goal (headlock and wrestled to the ground) but did a very good job overall

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

robbiezero wrote: »
    Thought ref made a really good job of the game. Hadn't heard of him before. Allowed for a good physical flowing game of hurling.

It is obvious with Kilkenny ref's which of them have actually played hurling at adult level and those that have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

blackcard wrote: »
    The referee missed the foul on Jason Cleere in the build-up to the first goal (headlock and wrestled to the ground) but did a very good job overall

Jason Cleere should been in control of that situation, got bullied by Eoin Cody who is only 18 and Eoin Reid picked up the break and handpassed to TJ for the goal.
    Next puck out Jason Cleere left TJ go up uncontested, caught and over the bar. Not so sure about Jason Cleere, poor club campaign,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Village87 wrote: »
    Jason Cleere should been in control of that situation, got bullied by Eoin Cody who is only 18 and Eoin Reid picked up the break and handpassed to TJ for the goal.
    Next puck out Jason Cleere left TJ go up uncontested, caught and over the bar. Not so sure about Jason Cleere, poor club campaign,

How do you think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Delighted for Eoin Murphy getting his very well deserved all star tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

At the end of the county season in the senior divisions did we unearth any real potential talent. While we were beaten by the the two teams who eventually contested the final, it is a bit misleading. If Eoin Murphy did not have a blinder Limerick would have beaten us by a lot more and we never really looked like beating Galway. We need a new full- back, center-back and center forward at the very least.The big find of 2018 was James Maher we now need a few more to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Based on what I saw this year:

Conor Delaney will be in our first 6 backs next year, either at wing back or full back. His teammates Ciaran Wallace and Niall McMahon probably will get a chance in early pre season.

Adrian and Darren Mullen are two more whom I’d expect to get a call, Adrian has the potential to be playing next year.

Young Tommy Walsh is very very close to making the step onto the panel and team. I could also see Shane Walsh getting called in.

From Ballycallan Conor Flynn is a strong Cody like hurler.

If Cody casts the net as wide as he has done in the last few years I’d not be surprised to see names like Kevin Blanchfield, Niall Brassil, Conor Doheny, Shane Mahoney, Aidan Nolan, Ryan Bergin, Michael Cody and a few more I’m sure come in

I don’t think we will have any retirements but wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two names from last few years dropped off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Based on what I saw this year:

Conor Delaney will be in our first 6 backs next year, either at wing back or full back. His teammates Ciaran Wallace and Niall McMahon probably will get a chance in early pre season.

Adrian and Darren Mullen are two more whom I’d expect to get a call, Adrian has the potential to be playing next year.

Young Tommy Walsh is very very close to making the step onto the panel and team. I could also see Shane Walsh getting called in.

From Ballycallan Conor Flynn is a strong Cody like hurler.

If Cody casts the net as wide as he has done in the last few years I’d not be surprised to see names like Kevin Blanchfield, Niall Brassil, Conor Doheny, Shane Mahoney, Aidan Nolan, Ryan Bergin, Michael Cody and a few more I’m sure come in

I don’t think we will have any retirements but wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two names from last few years dropped off
    i have to agree with everything you said.Id also like to think john walsh and bolger will be called back in.
    id like to see ciarian wallace getting a run i was always a fan of his.id also hope cody tries huw lawlor or delaney at 3 it would be great to get buckley and walsh back to the wings although we dont seem to have a 6 ready although deegan was solid at 6 but his learning his trade corner back.
    Lads like conor o shea and conor martin could come under pressure.Rob lennon had a very good club campaign at 3 but isnt up to it at county level.
    we'd be hoping this season will stand to leahy and donnelly and billy ryan has also had a very good club season.kevin kelly will be a big help.
    ger alyward also needs a big season or else he could fade away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Dunnamaggin are away to Louth champions Knockbridge in Leinster JHC Q-Final today at 1.30pm in Dundalk.

GBC are playing Meath champions Kiltale in Leinster Intermediate Q-Final today at 1.30pm in Callan.

I would imagine big victories for both Kilkenny teams.

conor05 wrote: »
    Dunnamaggin are away to Louth champions Knockbridge in Leinster JHC Q-Final today at 1.30pm in Dundalk.

GBC are playing Meath champions Kiltale in Leinster Intermediate Q-Final today at 1.30pm in Callan.

thrre pkaying celbridge and i wouldn't be so sure bout gbc if i remember correctly they have caused previous winners trouble and i wouldnt be a suprise to see an upset here.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

brookville wrote: »

thrre pkaying celbridge and i wouldn't be so sure bout gbc if i remember correctly they have caused previous winners trouble and i wouldnt be a suprise to see an upset here.

You were spot on, celbridge good team. Only 3pts in it

You were spot on, celbridge good team. Only 3pts in it
    yea i think intermediate club is very hard to win as often your playing senior clubs granted from weaker counties but i remember recent winners very lucky to overcome wicklow and meath champions so that was a very good win for gbc well done to them.
    Anyone know whats the story with the galway match next week in oz?i think i read somewhere its being broadcasted anyone know if it is or times and channels thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

yea i think intermediate club is very hard to win as often your playing senior clubs granted from weaker counties but i remember recent winners very lucky to overcome wicklow and meath champions so that was a very good win for gbc well done to them.
    Anyone know whats the story with the galway match next week in oz?i think i read somewhere its being broadcasted anyone know if it is or times and channels thanks.

Kilkenny Name Strong Squad For Trip Down Under

Brian Cody has assembled an impressive Kilkenny squad for the trip Down Under to take on Galway in the inaugural hurling clash in Sydney next month for the Wild Geese Trophy.

The match in the Sydney Showground on November 11 will see The Cats renew their keen rivalry with the Tribesmen. It is the first meeting since it took a replay to separate them last July before Galway retained the Leinster title.

The Kilkenny manager has no shortage of talent to pick from for the rematch.

All-Ireland winners such as Cillian Buckley, TJ Reid, Eoin Murphy and Richie Hogan backbone the 34 man panel that landed this year’s Allianz League crown – one of the rewards for which was this trip to Australia.

The hurling clash is the highlight of the three-day Sydney Irish Festival and an event which organisers hope could potentially become a regular fixture.

It will be the first major inter-county hurling match to be played in Australia and the game will be broadcast live worldwide on Fox Sports and will also be carried in Ireland by RTÉ TV.

The Kilkenny squad is:

Ger Aylward

Liam Blanchfield

Conor Browne

Jason Cleere

Conor Delaney

John Donnelly

Colin Fennelly

Joey Holden

Kevin Kelly

Martin Keoghan

Haw Lawler

Richie Leahy

Pat Lyng

Conor Martin

Enda Morrissey

Richie Reid

Billy Ryan

Luke Scanlon

Bill Sheehan

Padraig Walsh

Walter Walsh

Cillian Buckley

Darren Brennan

Conor Fogarty

Joe Lyng

James Maher

Alan Murphy

Eoin Murphy

Conor Oshea

Richie Hogan

Tom Aylward

Stephen Staunton

Ger Malone

TJ Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Who will Ballyhale play in the Leinster Club championship? Kilkenny clubs have not being doing well at this level in recent years. I suppose it coincides with the drop in standard in our club championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Who will Ballyhale play in the Leinster Club championship? Kilkenny clubs have not being doing well at this level in recent years. I suppose it coincides with the drop in standard in our club championship

Naomh Eanna in Wexford park 18 November

https://twitter.com/NaomhEannaGAA/status/1059109877145051136?s=19

Will Ballyhale shamrocks County players be back in time from Australia for that match.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Will Ballyhale shamrocks County players be back in time from Australia for that match.
    yes.There coming back the tuesday after the match i think.

laneykin wrote: »
    Delighted for Eoin Murphy getting his very well deserved all star tonight.

Also all the camogie players that got there awards last night Anna Dalton who got the player of the year well done to all players in both grades that serve our county well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brillant player ann dalton well.deserved player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

2 great Minor finals in Nowlan Park yesterday.
    The Minor A turning into a humdinger ! Dicksboro were ahead by 2 goals at Half time (2-7 to 0-7)
    with Mooncoin struggling to contain the flying forwards of Dicksboro, and a couple of glaring errors in the back line to gift the Boro their 2 goals.
    The second half was different though with Mooncoin scoring 4 unanswered points before Boro raised a white flag. Mooncoin had the lead back to 2 points and then Boro kicked on again and brought the lead back to 5 points with 10mins to go. Game over ?

No way ! , Mooncoin really dug deep, and scored 2 goals within a couple of minutes, Boro looked beaten, and Mooncoin surged ahead and claimed their first Minor A Championship since 1979 !
    A really great game of hurling.
    Final score - Mooncoin 3-14 Dicksboro 2-12

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

greenspurs wrote: »
    The Minor A turning into a humdinger ! Dicksboro were ahead by 2 goals at Half time (2-7 to 0-7)
    with Mooncoin struggling to contain the flying forwards of Dicksboro, and a couple of glaring errors in the back line to gift the Boro their 2 goals.
    The second half was different though with Mooncoin scoring 4 unanswered points before Boro raised a white flag. Mooncoin had the lead back to 2 points and then Boro kicked on again and brought the lead back to 5 points with 10mins to go. Game over ?

No way ! , Mooncoin really dug deep, and scored 2 goals within a couple of minutes, Boro looked beaten, and Mooncoin surged ahead and claimed their first Minor A Championship since 1979 !

There was massive Mooncoin support there yesterday.

I had to leave at half time in Roinn A match and I didn't fancy Mooncoin to come through and win but congrats to them, by all accounts it was very exciting at the end.

I would love to have heard Michael Walsh spluttering on KCLR as he watched it unfold....he would have been beside himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Nothing against Dicksboro who are doing great work at underage level but it is great to see a club like Mooncoin win a minor title. This victory will be remembered for a long time and will inspire a lot of youngsters down there to play the game. In truth, Mooncoin has underachieved given its population but this is a sign of hope. Well done to all.

blackcard wrote: »
    Nothing against Dicksboro who are doing great work at underage level but it is great to see a club like Mooncoin win a minor title. This victory will be remembered for a long time and will inspire a lot of youngsters down there to play the game. In truth, Mooncoin has underachieved given its population but this is a sign of hope. Well done to all.
    i agree its great for a country club.i dont think the boro will begrudge them this one.Despite going down junior i think mooncoin have won two cups at junior level the future looks bright if they stay at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Highlights of the Galway game are on RTE 2 Sunday night at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Brian017 wrote: »
    Highlights of the Galway game are on RTE 2 Sunday night at 8

Can it be watched live anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

kk1970 wrote: »
    Can it be watched live anywhere?

Not in Ireland I don't think. It's live on Fox Sports in Australia. I guess the Irish channels figured it wouldn't be viable showing a live match at 4:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just a side note on this.
    My 15 year old nephews were entering Nowlan pk on Sunday, the man on the gate said "that will be a tenner each lads" .. Nephew says " no, I'm only 15"...
    "right so, give me a fiver each then"... Nephew says " No, I have no money on me"... lets the two of them in.
    My Nephew was playing, and his 16yr old girlfriend and her two mates were also charged €10 each to get in.

Are U16s supposed to be free ? Or were they supposed to be accompanied by an adult?
    Either way, dodgy carry on!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Just a side note on this.
    My 15 year old nephews were entering Nowlan pk on Sunday, the man on the gate said "that will be a tenner each lads" .. Nephew says " no, I'm only 15"...
    "right so, give me a fiver each then"... Nephew says " No, I have no money on me"... lets the two of them in.
    My Nephew was playing, and his 16yr old girlfriend and her two mates were also charged €10 each to get in.

Are U16s supposed to be free ? Or were they supposed to be accompanied by an adult?
    Either way, dodgy carry on!

That's interesting as I had words with one of the men on the gate, going into the league final weeks ago. I had my wife and 3 young kids with me (all under 5) and only wanted to watch the first game. The entrance fee was €10 and I certainly wasn't going to be staying for both matches( doing well to stay for 1!) So when I enquired about it, talking about a power trip!! The most obnoxious, condescending so and so I've met in a long time. He obviously was questioned by alot of people on the way in and I'd say he was venting his annoyance but unfortunately, I was the one who got it! Saying things like "if you're too hard up to pay €10 into a match, then you'd be better off going home" and that "how come nobody else asked about being charged €10?". At that point I lost it, and gave him a piece of my mind as I actually heard the previous person question the fee before me, I work with her and we were chatting all the way up to the turnstiles so for him to say that to me was a bit rich!
    Look, I know it was tongue in cheek asking him but after the first game, there must have been at least 50 heading off home. I can't have been the only one not in a position to stay for 2 matches. After all, it was only the league ffs. I did mention before that I tipped my hat to county board for admission fee of €15 for senior/intermediate county finals.
    I just thought that his attitude was very poor. Look, I'm involved coaching various grades in the club and was merely going into enjoy the local team's match but I have to say, it left a bitter taste.

The county board could do with a little review on whose manning the gates me thinks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement