Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

phkk wrote: »
    That's interesting as I had words with one of the men on the gate, going into the league final weeks ago. I had my wife and 3 young kids with me (all under 5) and only wanted to watch the first game. The entrance fee was €10 and I certainly wasn't going to be staying for both matches( doing well to stay for 1!) So when I enquired about it, talking about a power trip!! The most obnoxious, condescending so and so I've met in a long time. He obviously was questioned by alot of people on the way in and I'd say he was venting his annoyance but unfortunately, I was the one who got it! Saying things like "if you're too hard up to pay €10 into a match, then you'd be better off going home" and that "how come nobody else asked about being charged €10?". At that point I lost it, and gave him a piece of my mind as I actually heard the previous person question the fee before me, I work with her and we were chatting all the way up to the turnstiles so for him to say that to me was a bit rich!
    Look, I know it was tongue in cheek asking him but after the first game, there must have been at least 50 heading off home. I can't have been the only one not in a position to stay for 2 matches. After all, it was only the league ffs. I did mention before that I tipped my hat to county board for admission fee of €15 for senior/intermediate county finals.
    I just thought that his attitude was very poor. Look, I'm involved coaching various grades in the club and was merely going into enjoy the local team's match but I have to say, it left a bitter taste.

The county board could do with a little review on whose manning the gates me thinks!

And you had a little honesty badge on you saying "I'm just here for the first match"??? What way did you dress that showed you were different to the lad staying for the second game??

I have done gates many times and people are unbelievable. I can understand gatemen getting ratty. I remember one guy saying he was bursting to go to the toilet and he'd pay me when he came out. Never happened. Should have left him wet his pants! The amount of people who throw a few brown coins in and say "thats all I have!". hard to credit, pardon the pun.

And an attitude of its "only the league". The Camogie and Ladies Football people will tell you its incredible that amount of people who say "sure it is only the women or the girls" as if they don't have to run their organisation, pay refs, pay for fields, pay for insurance, pay trophies and medals, equipment, facility maintenance etc. Maybe there are no refs or medals for the leagues in your world??

Why do so called GAA people feel they have to negotiate the admission fee?? When you go to the cinema, do you negotiate the fee because you don't want to watch the ads? Or when you buy your "cheap" Bon Jovi tickets, do you negotiate the ticket price because you are not interested in the support group??

It is my experience, that ordinary clubs do very much look after their own whom they know put in the work at their home venue. It is my experience too that many 18/19/20 years get in as under-16's on many occasions, especially girls.

There is a price on the gate for a set meal. If you don't like it, go home. don't be hassling the guy at the gate. You are probably the lad holding up the queue arguing and annoying everyone else behind you who know the price, just want to pay and get it before the game starts. In comparison to cinema tickets, theatre tickets, concert tickets the price is very reasonable for an hour or in the case of a double header two hours entertainment. Think about it and have a review yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Well said Hawkeye, 100% agree. phkk you'd want to cop yourself on a bit. The guy on the gate is volunteering his time freely and he does not set the price. If you have a beef with the price on the gate take it up with those who set the price, not the guy who is giving up his free time to collect the money on behalf of the county board. Your whole argument about it "only being the league" and your "only wanting to see the first match" is ridiculous and as Hawkeye said, you'd really want to look at yourself, not the guy on the gates. The price is the price, it is not a starting point for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyway ... That had no real comparison to my question. And I agree with Hawkeye6 + Ceist Beag , ridiculous point of view, and I wouldn't embaress myself by stating that in public or online !

Is it Under 16s are Free ? or Under 16s are free when accompanied by an adult?

Ive tried looking it up but cant find anything about it.

*I have emailed the PRO for clarification :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

What are our chances of having the clean sweep in Leinster this year . Shamrocks, GBC & Dunnamaggin must all fancy there chances.
    Who are the Leinster senior champions playing in the All Ireland Semi final. Is it Leinster v Munster this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I wouldn’t imagine any team in Junior around Ireland would stop Dunnamaggin. Look strong.

Intermediate can be tough, some strong intermediate teams in the Cork PIHC.

Senior would definitely be the toughest to win out this year. I don’t see Ballyhale been at Na Piarsaighs level just yet or any other club team in Ireland and they meet NAP in the semi final is both teams come out of their provinces.

St Thomas from Galway look strong too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just in case anyone cares -

I emailed the PRO of Kilkenny gaa, and he replied to my questions, kind of.

He asked for details, which I gave, then he said he would let the relevant person know, so he came back and said :
    "
    Most of the main offices for the County Board are overseas with the trip to Australia so it will be 2/3 weeks before they can deal with it. "

Nice :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnconnors

A word of appreciation to the Kilkenny hurlers- and also the hundreds of supporters who traveled to Borrisoleigh last Saturday night for the "Amanda Stapleton" benefit event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

A word of appreciation to the Kilkenny hurlers- and also the hundreds of supporters who traveled to Borrisoleigh last Saturday night for the "Amanda Stapleton" benefit event.

A wonderful night for a great cause, its events like this that highlight everything that is wonderful about the GAA and what sets it apart. I seem to spend half my life defending the GAA and quite often for the indefensible, but something like this really brings it back what the GAA is all about, rivalries etc are great and add to the attraction but at the end of the day we are all one big family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

sport/gaa/2018/1107/1009264-aylward-cats-must-raise-game-to-match-galway/

honest interview from ger aylward who had an awful run of injuries and looks like a lad low on confidence.It'd be great to see him injury free and get a good start to next year and get him playing with confidence but his being average at club level recently.If he could get a good start it could restart his career he would be a big addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

brookville wrote: »
    sport/gaa/2018/1107/1009264-aylward-cats-must-raise-game-to-match-galway/

honest interview from ger aylward who had an awful run of injuries and looks like a lad low on confidence.It'd be great to see him injury free and get a good start to next year and get him playing with confidence but his being average at club level recently.If he could get a good start it could restart his career he would be a big addition.

What he needs is a good pre season so he's not miles behind everyone, given the injuries he's had I didnt think he did too bad when particularly none of our forwards really stood out bar wally, he seamed to fade quite bad if he gets his strength and fitness up the confidence and form will come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Garyp88 wrote: »
    What he needs is a good pre season so he's not miles behind everyone, given the injuries he's had I didnt think he did too bad when particularly none of our forwards really stood out bar wally, he seamed to fade quite bad if he gets his strength and fitness up the confidence and form will come back

Ger had a poor club campaign too this year too. Be interesting to see if he is in Codys plans come the new year

Village87 wrote: »
    Garyp88 wrote: »

Ger had a poor club campaign too this year too. Be interesting to see if he is in Codys plans come the new year
    i agree bit he showed glimpses during the year but couldnt get a good run at things.bill sheehan and billy ryan could pass him out.I wouldnt give up on him yet but i would like us to produce dangerous corner fowards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

i agree bit he showed glimpses during the year but couldnt get a good run at things.bill sheehan and billy ryan could pass him out.I wouldnt give up on him yet but i would like us to produce dangerous corner fowards

You would hope things would come right for him like James Maher looking at him a few times you wondered who long Cody was going to keep giving him a chance after his injury. Hopefully things can come right for Ger he seems confident that things have turned the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

greenspurs wrote: »
    Just a side note on this.
    My 15 year old nephews were entering Nowlan pk on Sunday, the man on the gate said "that will be a tenner each lads" .. Nephew says " no, I'm only 15"...
    "right so, give me a fiver each then"... Nephew says " No, I have no money on me"... lets the two of them in.
    My Nephew was playing, and his 16yr old girlfriend and her two mates were also charged €10 each to get in.

Are U16s supposed to be free ? Or were they supposed to be accompanied by an adult?
    Either way, dodgy carry on!

I was talking to a man he is a generous contributer to kilkenny gaa he was at a league match last spring the man does not live local he meet Ned Quinn at half time he took him in for a cup of tea. When he was finished leaving to go back watch the match a person shouted at him when you have no voucher it costs 5euro each the gentleman he is handed out fifty euro the person said we will get you again when Ned Quinn came in to talk to him.

just on the match over in austrilia i know its only a bit of fun and nothing serious and i hope everyone has a great time and they deserve it but with the league starting in 2 months wouldnt it be great to see new things tried like delaney or huw lawlor at 3 and the two lads back out to the wings maybe morrisey at 6 or something along those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is the game being broadcast anywhere today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can we all just acknowledge that this game means absolutely nothing and regardless of performance good or bad there is nothing to be read into it. Nothing. This is a holiday with a game thrown into the middle of it. Please don't come in here afterwards saying such and such should be given a chance or this lad shouldn't be near the panel.

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Can we all just acknowledge that this game means absolutely nothing and regardless of performance good or bad there is nothing to be read into it. Nothing. This is a holiday with a game thrown into the middle of it. Please don't come in here afterwards saying such and such should be given a chance or this lad shouldn't be near the panel.

Please.

Do you really think this game "means absolutely nothing" to the manager..?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mankbag wrote: »

Definitely.

Mankbag wrote: »

Yes. During the 70 minutes everyone involved will try to win but if you think anyone involved is reading anything into it then I don't know what to say to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Anyone know where we can watch and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Yes. During the 70 minutes everyone involved will try to win but if you think anyone involved is reading anything into it then I don't know what to say to you.
    Hopefully every hurler that travelled over gets some game time. Its a long way to travel just to sit on the bench for an exhibition game

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Anyone know where we can watch and when.

It’s on fox sports Australia at 4.30am Sunday morning but RTE are showing an hour of highlights from 8-9pm Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kilkenny team named in the program:
    E Murphy
    C Delaney, P Walsh, J Cleere
    J Holden, C Buckley, E Morrissey
    C Fogarty, J Maher
    M Keoghan, TJ Reid, R Leahy
    B Ryan, C Fennelly, G Aylward
    Subs:
    D Brennan
    C O'Shea
    S Staunton
    H Lawlor
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan
    P Lyng
    T Aylward
    K Kelly
    J Lyng
    G Malone
    C Martin
    A Murphy
    R Reid
    W Walsh

I've heard though, there will be a few changes like Buckley, Padraig, Billy Ryan, TJ and Colin won't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Galway 4-23 KK 3-26 full time. Galway win 4-3 in shootout

none of the ballyhale lads played or billy ryan or padraig while galway also down a few regulars.sounded like a great match that we let slip.Great to hear hogan hurling well he has being a huge loss and good to hear lawlor impressing full back.Well done to both teams must of being hard going in the heat.

none of the ballyhale lads played or billy ryan or padraig while galway also down a few regulars.sounded like a great match that we let slip.Great to hear hogan hurling well he has being a huge loss and good to hear lawlor impressing full back.Well done to both teams must of being hard going in the heat.
    Good match but what a complete waste of time and money for the lads that didn't play. They are giving up there own free time to go and watch an exhibition match from the bench. Everyone toggled out should have got a run out

It's a holiday to Australia paid for by the GAA. I doubt they're too bothered.

• Advertisement

It's a holiday to Australia paid for by the GAA. I doubt they're too bothered.

What they get out of it wouldn't pay for 2 nights in the newpark! Just saying as it was an exhibition match and they had to mind themselves for the first few days everyone should have got a run out. And some had to take unpaid leave from work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement