Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

kk1970 wrote: »
    Good match but what a complete waste of time and money for the lads that didn't play. They are giving up there own free time to go and watch an exhibition match from the bench. Everyone toggled out should have got a run out

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

It's a holiday to Australia paid for by the GAA. I doubt they're too bothered.

What they get out of it wouldn't pay for 2 nights in the newpark! I just think seeing as it was an exhibition match everyone deserved a run out. Some of these lads are taking unpaid leave from work to go there.. Leaving family etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

kk1970 wrote: »
    Good match but what a complete waste of time and money for the lads that didn't play. They are giving up there own free time to go and watch an exhibition match from the bench. Everyone toggled out should have got a run out

Heard a man giving out last week about R Hogan going he said he should be at home getting his back sorted for next summer . A sister of mine went up to the match from Melbourne enjoyed it she said after the terroist attack last week they decided to pack up for the weekend head up to Sydney to see the game . She is out there since 1989 she said to me on the phone this morning days seen your county playing is a great thrill makes you proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

They really threw that one away. As John Tennyson once said, if there was a mickey mouse competition Brian Cody would want to win it. So he would be disappointed with that

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

I was at the game. Pretty good standard for what it was. Very open game for the most part. Kilkenny dominated in the first half when the intensity was minimal enough. Start of the second half a bit of handbags started and Galway upped it from there. Galway were the better team in the second half, but I think the ref did a bottle job. Level game and a ball was hit into Wally at the last minute. Right as he caught the ball ref blew the whistle for a draw. Wally has side stepped Daithi Burke and hit a point. He wasn’t very happy about it and neither was Cody. Despite it being an exhibition, it was obvious enough both teams wanted to win. Players at this level make it to this level because they’re competitive. They’d hate to lose a game of rock, paper, scissors never mind a hurling match.

Richie was probably the best player on the pitch. For Kilkenny I thought James Maher was very good, with Conor Browne, Liam Blanchfield and Wally having good games. Ger scored 2 goals but offered little else and didn’t play great as stupid as that sounds. Daithi Burke and Cohen played well for Galway. Niall Burke got a few nice scores and Concannon made a difference when he came in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Junior D wrote: »
    I was at the game. Pretty good standard for what it was. Very open game for the most part. Kilkenny dominated in the first half when the intensity was minimal enough. Start of the second half a bit of handbags started and Galway upped it from there. Galway were the better team in the second half, but I think the ref did a bottle job. Level game and a ball was hit into Wally at the last minute. Right as he caught the ball ref blew the whistle for a draw. Wally has side stepped Daithi Burke and hit a point. He wasn’t very happy about it and neither was Cody.

Richie was probably the best player on the pitch. For Kilkenny I thought James Maher was very good, with Conor Browne, Liam Blanchfield and Wally having good games. Ger scored 2 goals but offered little else and didn’t play great as stupid as that sounds. Daithi Burke and Cohen played well for Galway. Niall Burke got a few nice scores and Concannon made a difference when he came in

He blew it up 30 seconds early too.
    Good run out for the team anyway and hopefully a good bonding session to kick start the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Was there any need for Joe Canning to lift his elbow into Enda Morrissey face and try to break his nose?

Was really hoping we would beat Galway after that stunt by Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Yes. During the 70 minutes everyone involved will try to win but if you think anyone involved is reading anything into it then I don't know what to say to you.

My question was, do you think the match meant nothing to Cody? Judging by his interview afterwards it did. If you don't know him at this stage then I don't know what to say to you.

conor05 wrote: »
    Was there any need for Joe Canning to lift his elbow into Enda Morrissey face and try to break his nose?

Was really hoping we would beat Galway after that stunt by Joe.

Marty, Duignan making excuses for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Marty, Duignan making excuses for him.

Canning is a dirty player, has history, and his skill makes up for a lot of it to be excused. There’s a difference between hard hurling and dirty strokes and that was as dirty as they come. He went to do him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Lets not forget the real story here....Kilkenny lost a fourteen point lead and bottled the free taking in the end! Congrats Galway,a well deserved win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It would of being nice to win it and im sure the lads will be dissapointed leaving a big lead slip and concede a goal at the death and wally in possession at full time but we have to be happy the way some of the younger lads are progressing and learning fast.
    Hopefully this will give huw lawlor the opportunity to start a few league matches next spring and be also good to see delaney tried at 6.James maher is continuing to go from strenght to strenght and id agree with blanchfield being further out the field.
    its dissapointing a few more didnt get a run out.
    pre season will probably start soon and hopefully a few more fresh faces added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Canning is a dirty player, has history, and his skill makes up for a lot of it to be excused. There’s a difference between hard hurling and dirty strokes and that was as dirty as they come. He went to do him imo.

Canning able to look after himself, just like Tommy Walsh.
    Phony war over again I think! :D

MfMan wrote: »
    Canning able to look after himself, just like Tommy Walsh.
    Phony war over again I think! :D

[/B]
    Don't recall Tommy Walsh doing what canning did to day what made it worse Marty, Duignan making excuses for him he could have broken his neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

He's been sailing close to wind for a good few seasons now, but when a ref finally has the balls to send him off, of course it's in a mickey mouse game where it doesn't matter a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone else finding this thread a bit buggy today? Keep getting notifications of posts that aren't showing up when I click into the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

mullinr2 wrote: »
    They really threw that one away. As John Tennyson once said, if there was a mickey mouse competition Brian Cody would want to win it. So he would be disappointed with that

Brian Cody took the match very seriously, he wanted to win that match as the winners defend the cup again in Sydney next year. Great holiday for the lads with some players and other members of the party staying on for extended time after they were due to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

[/B]
    Don't recall Tommy Walsh doing what canning did to day what made it worse Marty, Duignan making excuses for him he could have broken his neck.

Tommy a smaller man than Canning - Canning used his bulk for a dirty tackle.

Duignan said something like, "ah shure, by the letter of the law, a red card, but then the spectators are deprived of seeing him play". What a load of B
    s.
    Richie was the best hurler on view and worked his socks off.
    Canning is basically a skillful but lazy hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The comments by Marty and Duignan are embarrassing. God forbid they'd say a word against "Joe". Awful pair of brown noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Anyone else finding this thread a bit buggy today? Keep getting notifications of posts that aren't showing up when I click into the thread.

yeah for some reason it wouldn't show page 130 for me either this morning. Seems fine again now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    The comments by Marty and Duignan are embarrassing. God forbid they'd say a word against "Joe". Awful pair of brown noses.

Sure Duignan managed Portumna, so basically loves Canning. Marty just a brown nose of any media darling hurler.
    Canning comes across as a bit of a hard man recently on the pitch.
    Funnily enough I never saw Canning trying to elbow Jackie Tyrell or Mick Fennelly like that, because he would be boxed around the pitch after it. He picked on a new young Kilkenny panel member to show his hardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Sure Duignan managed Portumna, so basically loves Canning. Marty just a brown nose of any media darling hurler.
    Funnily enough I never saw Canning trying to elbow Jackie Tyrell or Mick Fennelly like that, because he would be boxed around the pitch after it. He picked on a new young Kilkenny panel member to show his hardness.

Canning has has added that mental strength and cutting to his game over the last 3/4 years. Mick Fennelly and Jackie added that to their game around the same age of 25/26

Canning was always able to look after himself, coming from Portumna does that to you.

It was a mistimed challenge mostly, culpable certainly, but hardly a war-crime. KK people should be made of thicker skin that that surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Canning was always able to look after himself, coming from Portumna does that to you.

It was a mistimed challenge mostly, culpable certainly, but hardly a war-crime. KK people should be made of thicker skin that that surely.

I think its more the fact he did it to a young member of the panel, in a meaningless game , is whats the major problem I feel.

Don't worry, that will be remembered when it comes to Championship hurling.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

He tried it in the 2015 all Ireland Mick Fennelly let him have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Think it’s being exaggerated to be honest. It was a only just a red IMO. He did it intentionally I’d say, but I’ve often seen yellows given for them.
    Canning has a small bit of dirt in him, but very little compared to the treatment (I imagine) he gets most days (prob more so club hurling).
    Fine hurler and any county would love to have him togging for them. He’d prob have 3 HOTY’s if he was from here.

He tried it in the 2015 all Ireland Mick Fennelly let him have it.

Illegally, in the back.

Illegally, in the back.

So it was okay for Canning to try take Fennelly out of it, he was not going to be taken out of a game likeTj Reid with the cowardly belt that broke his knee cap in the 2012 all Ireland final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

So it was okay for Canning to try take Fennelly out of it, he was not going to be taken out of a game likeTj Reid with the cowardly belt that broke his knee cap in the 2012 all Ireland final.

Think it was Iarla Tannion that clashed with Reid could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Define irony- a kilkenny a hurling fan giving out about dirty play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement