Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Two great finishes from Mullen. I've been critical of him in the past after all the hype as I didn't think he stepped up for Kierans or the minors in the big games but surrounded by better players in the Shamrocks forwards he's been pretty good any time I've seen him. He'd want to be with those boots mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Well done to Ballyhale. It's great to see a Kilkenny senior club doing well again.
    Although it's great to see, if Ballyhale go all the way to St Patrick's day, we will sorely miss TJ for the league. He has nearly single handedly kept us up in the last few years.
    Hopefully Richie Hogan can stay injury free and lads like Richie Leahy and Liam Blanchfield can step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Well done to Ballyhale. It's great to see a Kilkenny senior club doing well again.
    Although it's great to see, if Ballyhale go all the way to St Patrick's day, we will sorely miss TJ for the league. He has nearly single handedly kept us up in the last few years.
    Hopefully Richie Hogan can stay injury free and lads like Richie Leahy and Liam Blanchfield can step up.

TJ would be very much missed in the League but I think it would be good too. Might mean a few of the younger lads step up and Cody can find a back up free taker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

mullinr2 wrote: »
    it could be no harm giving tj a rest.Hopefully hogan can stay injury free as you said and kevin kelly will be back.
    well done to all teams at the weekend.Great achievement from henry differant gravy today at times.
    eoin cody and adrian mullen both look great prospects.evan shefflin also improving.Its a credit to the shamrocks producing these players.
    I heard a good few of last year u21 called in tommy walsh,michael carey,aidan nolan,adrian mullen.i think darren mullen is good enough and eoin cody and evan shefflin arent far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

My early first 15 and panel. Sure I have left some players out.
    Eoin Murphy
    Tommy Og Walsh
    Joey Holden
    Jason Cleere
    Padraig Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian Buckley
    James Maher
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid
    Adrian Mullen
    Walter Walsh
    Liam Blanchfield

Darren Brennan, Enda Morrissey, Paddy Deegan, Huw Lawlor, Conor Browne, Paul Murphy, Robert Lennon, Darren Mullen, Michael Cody, Evan Shefflin, Michael Carey,Tom Aylward, Richie Reid, John Walsh Conor Fogarty, Kevin Kelly, John Donnelly, Chris Bolger, Colin Fennelly ,Ger Aylward, Ronan Coffey, Martin Keoghan, Bill Sheehan, Alan Murphy, Niall Brassil, Michael Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

No harm tj missing league.enough young talent to try out.on a seperate note is joey the best bet for full back?

The options for full back are Padraig Walsh, Joey Holden, Huw Lawlor, Conor Delaney, Tom Aylward and Robert Lennon. I would like to see Conor Delaney and Huw Lawlor tried out in the League. For me, Joey is the best full backs in in the county. I would like to see Padraig Walsh and Cillian Buckley play in their best positions at wing back

Personally I have always gone with the johnny giles saying.(play your best players in their best position)so padraig would go to half back for me. Delaney and lawlor should be given a run in the walsh cup and league.but for me joey is the best we have at the moment.

blackcard wrote: »
    My early first 15 and panel. Sure I have left some players out.
    Eoin Murphy
    Tommy Og Walsh
    Joey Holden
    Jason Cleere
    Padraig Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian Buckley
    James Maher
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid
    Adrian Mullen
    Walter Walsh
    Liam Blanchfield

Darren Brennan, Enda Morrissey, Paddy Deegan, Huw Lawlor, Conor Browne, Paul Murphy, Robert Lennon, Darren Mullen, Michael Cody, Evan Shefflin, Michael Carey,Tom Aylward, Richie Reid, John Walsh Conor Fogarty, Kevin Kelly, John Donnelly, Chris Bolger, Colin Fennelly ,Ger Aylward, Ronan Coffey, Martin Keoghan, Bill Sheehan, Alan Murphy, Niall Brassil, Michael Murphy

as far as i know darren mullen or evan shefflin,michael murphy probably gone past county but he had a great year.Chris bolger and john walsh also arent in but maybe that could change.Im suprised walsh,bolger or darren mullen arent in i think there all well worth a look.
    joey has being very steady at club level and done well apart from basquell looking to have the legs on him a few times.
    henrys stamp on the shamrocks with high workrate was noticeable granted maybe boden were tired but the shamrocks suffocated them at times and it sets up a cracking local derby against ballygunner.ballycallan now plat charlesvill of cork it should also be a good match.

Would like to see john walsh given a run think he is a talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Good win by Dunnamaggan by 3-17 to 1-11. Ronan Coffey scored 2-5, John Fitzpatrick 1-3. Noel Hickey still playing well. I would like to see Coffey in training with the KK seniors, he has great pace, probably needs to improve his striking off his right

Ronan Coffey no where near good enough currently for county senior. As you mentioned his striking is poor off his right. I agree he does have great pace and an eye for goal but you also need to consider the level he currently playing. I have seen Dunna numerous times this year and was at the match on Saturday. Yes he played well but the Na Fianna crowd were very poor and the conditioning of the full back he was marking.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    it could be no harm giving tj a rest.Hopefully hogan can stay injury free as you said and kevin kelly will be back.
    well done to all teams at the weekend.Great achievement from henry differant gravy today at times.
    eoin cody and adrian mullen both look great prospects.evan shefflin also improving.Its a credit to the shamrocks producing these players.
    I heard a good few of last year u21 called in tommy walsh,michael carey,aidan nolan,adrian mullen.i think darren mullen is good enough and eoin cody and evan shefflin arent far off.

A lot of better players out there than Michael Carey at the moment, very poor year for the club. Didn't stick out when brought on by the u21s v Galway.

Forgot Luke Scanlon

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Good win by Dunnamaggan by 3-17 to 1-11. Ronan Coffey scored 2-5, John Fitzpatrick 1-3. Noel Hickey still playing well. I would like to see Coffey in training with the KK seniors, he has great pace, probably needs to improve his striking off his right

Ronan Coffey no where near good enough currently for county senior. As you mentioned his striking is poor off his right. I agree he does have great pace and an eye for goal but you also need to consider the level he currently playing. I have seen Dunna numerous times this year and was at the match on Saturday. Yes he played well but the Na Fianna crowd were very poor and the conditioning of the full back he was marking.............
    I don't think that he is good enough currently but I think he has potential and a couple of years training with the panel will show if he has what it takes. I forgot about Luke Scanlon when doing my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

I don't think that he is good enough currently but I think he has potential and a couple of years training with the panel will show if he has what it takes. I forgot about Luke Scanlon when doing my list.

I Understand that you werent implying that he should brought in and thrown in straight away but I still think he far off what is required and a bit of perspective of the standard he currently playing needs be taken into consideration before ppl get carried away. He actually struggled to make Dunna team last year and was only a sub even too for some of the early Junior League champ games this year. I agree he a nice hurler but alot of improving required and other better hurlers than him currently that would be well ahead.

I just think ppl get carried away at times with club hurler going well and think they automatically deserve shot at inter county. The standard difference between the two is immense with the physicality quite simply the main difference. I got slated last year for saying Bill Sheehan wasnt up to the required inter county standard on the grounds in my opinion he far too small and doesnt have the necessary skill set to make up for his lack of size and bulk and I still stand by that opinion!! I am not for one second saying that there no place in inter county for the small nippy corner forward or small tigerish corner back but they need certain other attributes to make up for their shortcomings......(excuse the pun!)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

It’s the new crop of Ballyhale hurlers who are driving them on this year. I know TJ, Fennellys and Joey have been great at diferent stages.

Evan Shefflin, Eoin Cody, Adrian and Darren Mullen and Ritchie Reid gave all been consistently very good.

Ballyhale just keep producing these phenomenal hurlers over the past 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Village87 wrote: »
    A lot of better players out there than Michael Carey at the moment, very poor year for the club. Didn't stick out when brought on by the u21s v Galway.

That's what I call a harsh statement give the chap a chance he wasn't going to wave a magic wond like his father did .

i agree he has to be given a chance he might make it on the half back line.Forgot to mention niall brassill called in aswell.If nothing else this might bring them on for the u20s next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Not casting aspirations at any one in particular but I have to say I got the distinct impression from this tread over the past six months that the standard of club hurling had declined some what drastically in Kilkenny. This does not appear to be the case at all after Dunnamggin's, Graigue Ballycallan' and the Shamrock's wins over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Junior and intermediate Leinster competition is fairly poor .test will come from the two cork teams they are meeting next.darragh Fitzgibbon
    And charleville in the intermediate think ballyragett beat them by a point a few years ago look good.
    And cloughduv are in the junior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Junior and intermediate Leinster competition is fairly poor .test will come from the two cork teams they are meeting next.darragh Fitzgibbon
    And charleville in the intermediate think ballyragett beat them by a point a few years ago look good.
    And cloughduv are in the junior

The Leinster Junior is especially poor. Dunamaggin hammered a Louth club by over 20pts but sure Dunna would beat the Louth hurling county team. Bet the Dublin junior and Meath intermediate champs by good scores too.

Leinster Intermediate is a bit stronger.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    That's what I call a harsh statement give the chap a chance he wasn't going to wave a magic wond like his father did .

Ok i agree the lad has to be given a chance but why is he chosen over the number of players who were on the Kilkenny u21 team and numerous good club hurlers over the last few years.
    Gowran have been in 3 relegation finals in the last few year,s Michael Carey was well below average for his club this and last year. I don't understand what basis he is called into the Kilkenny panel. Needs to be seen on an Kilkenny underage team or another year of club championship hurling. Brian Cody did the same with his own sons, called in well before they were proven good enough.

Joe Daly wrote: »

Ok i agree the lad has to be given a chance but why is he chosen over the number of players who were on the Kilkenny u21 team and numerous good club hurlers over the last few years.
    Gowran have been in 3 relegation finals in the last few year,s Michael Carey was well below average for his club this and last year. I don't understand what basis he is called into the Kilkenny panel. Needs to be seen on an Kilkenny underage team or another year of club championship hurling. Brian Cody did the same with his own sons, called in well before they were proven good enough.
    i seen him a few times and thought he was solid maybe he lacks a bit of pace for the full back line maybe he could be tried on the half back line.Paul holden was gowrans most consistent performer thought he would of being given a chance.I was told the net was thrown fairly wide again but probably not going to call in lads who didnt work last year like walsh or bolger.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Any word on proposals from the club forum last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Neewollah wrote: »
    Any word on proposals from the club forum last night?

I was at it last night and to be honest was very disappointed with it, we came out no closer to a solution than when we went in!! The preferred (by county board) proposal was for 2 rounds of league/champ in April, a midweek round in May after the kk v Carlow game and the remainder when kk out of the champ. The county board were asked repeatedly if Brian Cody had ok’d the midweek round but couldn’t give a guarantee that he had and most people there felt that there was a good chance that round would be pulled. Various different formats were discussed and opinions given but it was very difficult to get a consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Unsatisfactory meeting. No final decision made and clubs left in the dark as to the next stage in the process. The various proposals should have been distributed to clubs beforehand as there was not enough time to explain them properly in order for those present to gauge which if any was best.

The county board were pushing for the existing system with 2 games in April and another possibly in May (very difficult to see a match in May in the middle of the Leinster championship, 3rd level exams and the British football championship)

There were various similar proposals along these lines with 3 games in April for example being pushed.

There were 3 proposals that were different from the current system.
    1. Byrne/Alylward Cup during the earlier part of year with the existing two groups of 6 league then kicking in after the inter county season. Some argued that this would be too many matches after the inter county season for clubs.

2. League from April to June with teams playing all other 11 teams in their division without county players bar 2 games in April. League positions 1-12 to dictate seeding for a Round Robin style championship draw. Championship draw to decide 3 groups of 4. Top 3 into Quarter Final along with next best qualifier. Remaining 8 into first round knockout to decide 4 quarter finalists and 4 relegation semi finalists.

3. League along existing lines with 3 games in April/May and balance in August with these games with county players worth 4 points. Teams also play the other teams in their division without county players with these teams worth 2 points. Championship along existing lines based on finishing position in this league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

suirway wrote: »
    Unsatisfactory meeting. No final decision made and clubs left in the dark as to the next stage in the process. The various proposals should have been distributed to clubs beforehand as there was not enough time to explain them properly in order for those present to gauge which if any was best.

The county board were pushing for the existing system with 2 games in April and another possibly in May (very difficult to see a match in May in the middle of the Leinster championship, 3rd level exams and the British football championship)

There were various similar proposals along these lines with 3 games in April for example being pushed.

1. Byrne/Alylward Cup during the earlier part of year with the existing two groups of 6 league then kicking in after the inter county season. Some argued that this would be too many matches after the inter county season for clubs.

2. League from April to June with teams playing all other 11 teams in their division without county players bar 2 games in April. League positions 1-12 to dictate seeding for a Round Robin style championship draw. Championship draw to decide 3 groups of 4. Top 3 into Quarter Final along with next best qualifier. Remaining 8 into first round knockout to decide 4 quarter finalists and 4 relegation semi finalists.

3. League along existing lines with 3 games in April/May and balance in August with these games with county players worth 4 points. Teams also play the other teams in their division without county players with these teams worth 2 points. Championship along existing lines based on finishing position in this league.
    Jaysus.

suirway wrote: »

How does one determine a county Player, 80 players involved between senior and u 21 last year up until April.

Brian Cody should be at a forum like this to answer the numerous question that has genuine clubs concerned. It will also be interesting will he change his philosophy on not calling in Leinster club champions players until they are finished with there clubs.

What club in there right mind would agree to play a league championship without there county players ? Clubs are the ones who developed these players and provided the facilities for them to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

How does one determine a county Player, 80 players involved between senior and u 21 last year up until April.

Brian Cody should be at a forum like this to answer the numerous question that has genuine clubs concerned. It will also be interesting will he change his philosophy on not calling in Leinster club champions players until they are finished with there clubs.

What club in there right mind would agree to play a league championship without there county players ? Clubs are the ones who developed these players and provided the facilities for them to thrive.

Precisely, Clubs with a number of county players, particularly the rural clubs are going to be at a massive disadvantage with any of those systems. What they are trying to propose of having 2 in April and 1 in May is the "best" worst option.

Until the GAA at national level start to think about the clubs more seriously there is never going to be a perfect solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The present set up in kilkenny is not going to work with these extra leinster matches you seem to like to blame Brian Cody, DJ, or somebody is an easy target the situation is getting out of hand players welfare is at risk. Its somebody from croke park should be down at the forum to answer questions not your county manager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement