Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

The fact is that with the increased number of county championship games, there are not enough weeks in the calendar to accommodate clubs. I think the inter county league should have no semi-finals or quarter finals with the top two in the League going straight to a final. This would free up 2 weeks in the calendar and allow 2-3 matches to be played in April . I also think that all knockout stages of the championship should go to 20 minutes extra time if required and then to 10 minutes extra time if required followed by penalties if necessary. Kilkenny would have been better off with this situation this year even if they lost out in extra time in the Leinster final.
    I think minor inter county also needs to be looked at, Kilkenny played 10 matches this year but this was at the expense of the club minor matches.
    Finally clubs playing league/championship matches without their inter county players would be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I made a suggestion before that you run a league of 2 groups of 6 without county players and depending on where you finish in that it determines your seeding into the proper league made up of 4 groups of 3 which leads into the championship as we now know it. It gives club players games of consequence during the inter county season before and after college exams and as there's a second stage of groups clubs who are missing county players have sufficient games when they get them back to ensure that the best teams progress. Potentially you could have the groups of 3 play home and away to make it 4 group games before knockout.

Cody would have to name a panel of 30 with additional players just called in for training allowed play in the non inter county league

It's by no means perfect but **** it, its better than what happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's the thing though, there's no perfect solution, only imperfect solutions. It's very easy poke holes in any suggestion but not so easy to come up with something more satisfactory. Do fair play for the suggestions. Personally I don't like the idea of splitting the club season up, it just means teams have to train all year and peak in April, then back to training all summer again and not getting real games until August or September. Even a club championship entirely from August on would be better because it would give certainty though I don't see how it could be done with Leinster club championship schedules. The only one I would really be dead set against is the idea of less points for matches without county players. Recipe for total disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Village87 wrote: »
    How does one determine a county Player, 80 players involved between senior and u 21 last year up until April.

Brian Cody should be at a forum like this to answer the numerous question that has genuine clubs concerned. It will also be interesting will he change his philosophy on not calling in Leinster club champions players until they are finished with there clubs.

What club in there right mind would agree to play a league championship without there county players ? Clubs are the ones who developed these players and provided the facilities for them to thrive.

Dead right, club comes first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

We all know the club comes first but the hierarchy in croke park seems to think differently , to me they seem to want it to go like the way the rugby went . Mr Ryan from Carlow was on saying last weekend that the gaa are not ignoring the grass roots i wonder is he in the real world. Extra matches in minor ten in all kilkenny played last year blaming our county manager is a laugh its croke park is where the problem is i know if there is not a solution a lot of people will be giving there two fingers to the gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What do you mean by your Mr. Ryan "from Carlow" comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tom Ryan, the new head muckety muck of the GAA is from Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

I didn't think he stepped up for Kierans or the minors in the big games

Adrian Mullen was excellent in the Colleges Final this year, at midfield, scored 0.04....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I didn't think he stepped up for Kierans or the minors in the big games

Adrian Mullen was excellent in the Colleges Final this year, at midfield, scored 0.04....
    im delighted to see him in with the seniors.Hopefully a few years in with the seniors will do him the world of good.He definitely has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    im delighted to see him in with the seniors.Hopefully a few years in with the seniors will do him the world of good.He definitely has potential.

Many other young players called in. Mullen deserves it, lads like Michael Carey called in on what basis makes the system unfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Village87 wrote: »
    Many other young players called in. Mullen deserves it, lads like Michael Carey called in on what basis makes the system unfair

I guess he was called in on the basis that Brian Cody thinks he's worth having a look at! What "system " do you deem to be "unfair "?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Is there a list of lads called into the seniors? Seen a few names mentioned in the last post, but not sure where the info is coming from and if there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

v3ttel wrote: »
    Is there a list of lads called into the seniors? Seen a few names mentioned in the last post, but not sure where the info is coming from and if there are others.

Surely you must know by now it's easier to get information out of North Korea than it's out of the Kilkenny senior set up.

Personally I haven't heard anything but anyone with a passing interest in Kilkenny hurling could've guessed Adrian Mullen would be added to the panel, Mikey Carey (if true) would be a bit more leftfield. He's a talented young hurler and if he is going to make it at senior level it'll probably be a few years down the line but I guess the thinking would be that the full back position has been a problem position over the last few seasons so no harm in getting him in to have a look at and gain experience training with and playing against Inter County players.

Personally I would like to see Huw Lawlor given a shot at it in the early rounds of the league. Saw him a few times with the club this year and he showed up well and as much as you can judge from a highlights packet he seemed to do quite well against Galway out in Australia.

v3ttel wrote: »
    i had heard a few from last years u21 were called in.Michael cody,adrian mullen,tommy walsh,niall brasssil and aidan nolan and mikey carey theres probably more but thats all i heard.It will be intresting to see will he cut a few players that have being there a few years and not making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Let cody look at anyone he likes.dont see a problem with anyone he might call in.we have alot of good young promising players.those that turn promise into consistent performances at senior will make it.find 2/3 and we will challenge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

I guess he was called in on the basis that Brian Cody thinks he's worth having a look at! What "system " do you deem to be "unfair "?

LOL, as the youngsters say...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I heard from a very good source that Derek Mc Grath hasn't taken over Mooncoin - and he is going to St Martins in Wexford .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Orders for sweeping brushes cancelled in mooncoin so.

Michael o Neill RIP gentleman, never left anything out of place in Nowlan park.

do we know yet who our captain will be next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    do we know yet who our captain will be next year?

Colin Fennelly is rumoured

A great year for Ballycallan they have some good young hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Was there draws held last night?

Joe Daly wrote: »
    A great year for Ballycallan they have some good young hurlers.
    yea its being a brillant year for them alright.They went back to grassroots and look have good crops coming along.They probably were good enough to compete in A.dunnamaggin also doing some very good things underage and pushed a star studded shamrocks team all the way in the u21.Both teams heading in the right direction.

dodgysub wrote: »
    Was there draws held last night?
    http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2443

So 3 rounds of the League/Championship in April/May. I presume that the remaining rounds will be deferred until Kilkenny are out of the AI series or are tentative dates set?

blackcard wrote: »
    So 3 rounds of the League/Championship in April/May. I presume that the remaining rounds will be deferred until Kilkenny are out of the AI series or are tentative dates set?
    Will they actually play those three rounds though? I wouldn't be betting my last few quid on it.

blackcard wrote: »
    Will they actually play those three rounds though? I wouldn't be betting my last few quid on it.
    I think that April was set aside for clubs in 2018 but because KK got to the League final and a week was lost due to bad weather only one round of club hurling was played. Another round could have been played 3 weeks before KK's first match in the Leinster round robin series but this was deemed to give insufficient time for KK to prepare for their match. Personally I would do away with the inter county League quarter-finals and semi-finals to make sure that clubs had sufficient time to play the proposed fixtures.

I definitely agree there, and there's lots of other things I'd change about the inter county structure to facilitate the clubs as well (no more replays for league matches, or any inter county matches, would be another) but I suppose the county board have to work with the schedule they get in the meantime. Three rounds of club in April and May would be great if it got played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Something has to change with club fixtures.u21 final on Saturday.Surely the year is long enough to have it played by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement