Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would also get rid of replays in the Leinster final. I think if it ends in a draw, there should be 20 minutes extra time, followed by 10 minutes extra time if required and then a penalty shootout if required. That would be preferable to this year where you had a replay the following week with the loser of that match out again the following week.

larrya wrote: »
    Something has to change with club fixtures.u21 final on Saturday.Surely the year is long enough to have it played by now.
    There are a lot of problems. Kilkenny played 10 minor championship matches this year which affected the club minor matches and also the U19 matches. If care is not taken, a lot of young players are going to be lost to the game.
    U21 players having their first (and maybe only) match of the year in November is not going to keep players interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

larrya wrote: »
    Something has to change with club fixtures.u21 final on Saturday.Surely the year is long enough to have it played by now.
    i know it was postponed due to a bereavement but it was always late in the year due to young lads traveling during the summer etc but i do take your point the u21 has being a very good championship its a pity it cant be fitted in during the summer at some stage in good conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

blackcard wrote: »
    There are a lot of problems. Kilkenny played 10 minor championship matches this year which affected the club minor matches and also the U19 matches. If care is not taken, a lot of young players are going to be lost to the game.
    U21 players having their first (and maybe only) match of the year in November is not going to keep players interested

I think clubs will lose a lot of players from u17 up to u21 as the u19 seems a bit of a waste of time.If lads aren’t on an adult team they will get very little hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

How does this Ballyhale U21 team compare with their great U21 team of the early naughties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

How does this Ballyhale U21 team compare with their great U21 team of the early naughties?

Very favourably. As far as I aware only three of the starting team today would be overage for under 21 next year if the grades were staying the same, so they would be favourites to do 3 in a row!

I know it's hard to get accurate information but does anyone know if Darren Mullen is in with the County Seniors? Gave an absolute exhibition today at centre back!

Very favourably. As far as I aware only three of the starting team today would be overage for under 21 next year if the grades were staying the same, so they would be favourites to do 3 in a row!

I know it's hard to get accurate information but does anyone know if Darren Mullen is in with the County Seniors? Gave an absolute exhibition today at centre back!
    agreed as far as i know his not in but i think he is definitely good enough can be very smart on the ball and definitely has enough to be called in.He is ahead of a few lads.Like chris bolger and john walsh these 3 have great potential im suprised he gasnt got these 3 in.
    on the match itself great entertainment olg had great chances but madon made some great saves and eoin cody reslly came alive in extra time.minor star conor kelly very good for olg.
    some very good hurlers on view i think the future looks bright but as i said i think its a pity darren mullen and a few more arent in with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Any half decent hurler with a pulse is in with a shout at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Daren Mullen is well ahead of a good few ppl on that county team, at senior or u-21 he always looks for the pass outta defence that builds the attack, also I saw him man mark Richie leahy outta it and quietened down Cathal Dunbar a good bit, find it hard to believe he's not with the seniors. Also I think Adrian silenced a few of his critics today with 0-4 from midfeild and setting up many more, wish ppl would get behind him instead of getting onto the young lad for no reason. He's a very good hurler who knows how to play many positions. There not everybody's favourite ppl but my god can the two of em hurl, wish Walsh and Bolger were given another chance.

i was talking to a lad in the know this morning and told me adrian and darren have being given the call up but wont join up until the shamrocks exit the club championship.I think the two of them can definitely make the step up if they put the head down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What do ye want us to get out of the league this year? A couple of years ago the league had become ultra competitive with the reduction in games and the increased relegation risk. But with the expanded provincial championship, the quarter finals for teams from 1b, and the fact that the past two all Ireland champions came from the lower division, I wonder is staying in 1a as urgent as it used to be? There's a bit of a revenue issue alright but in terms of readiness for championship I think it's possible back to it's old role as a proving ground for young talent. Personally would much rather find one or two lads and get relegated than stay up with the old reliables anyway.

We will be missing the Ballyhale lads plus Billy Ryan for some, if not all, of the League. We also have only 2 home matches so we might struggle. Definitely, I would like to see Conor Delaney given a shot at full back with Padraig Walsh at wing back. I would like to see Tommy Walsh and Jason Cleere given starts in the backs. Extended runs for James Maher, Richie Leahy, Conor Fogarty, John Donnelly, Kevin Kelly and Liam Blanchfield. I would like to be proved wrong but I don't see a future for Ger Aylward or Paul Murphy, the latter in particular has given great service.

we have blooded alot of lads this year so the league has being a great stepping stone for these young lads.
    james maher was a great find while leahy,mossy,donnelly,scanlon and morrisey have had their monents.Hopefully these lads can add consistency to their game.
    tj and walter carried us through the league so its no harm tj will have hopefully the league off.Hopefully richie can stay injury free and kevin kelly gets a good run at things we could build the attack around these 2 and walter.Id also like to see blanchfield tried further out the field.
    in defence hopefully huw lawlor gets a run to see how he goes.id also like to see delaney and morrisey getting league time.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    we have blooded alot of lads this year so the league has being a great stepping stone for these young lads.
    james maher was a great find while leahy,mossy,donnelly,scanlon and morrisey have had their monents.Hopefully these lads can add consistency to their game.
    tj and walter carried us through the league so its no harm tj will have hopefully the league off.Hopefully richie can stay injury free and kevin kelly gets a good run at things we could build the attack around these 2 and walter.Id also like to see blanchfield tried further out the field.
    in defence hopefully huw lawlor gets a run to see how he goes.id also like to see delaney and morrisey getting league time.

If T.J. is off with the Shamrocks forthe start of the league - who'll be on free taking duties?

Kevin Kelly - but will he start every game? Free takers theses days need to be at 90%+ at inter-county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

We will be missing the Ballyhale lads plus Billy Ryan for some, if not all, of the League. We also have only 2 home matches so we might struggle. Definitely, I would like to see Conor Delaney given a shot at full back with Padraig Walsh at wing back. I would like to see Tommy Walsh and Jason Cleere given starts in the backs. Extended runs for James Maher, Richie Leahy, Conor Fogarty, John Donnelly, Kevin Kelly and Liam Blanchfield. I would like to be proved wrong but I don't see a future for Ger Aylward or Paul Murphy, the latter in particular has given great service.

Ridiculous statement about Paul Murphy. The lad is only 29 years old and while the average age of the inter county is dropping significantly.......he still has a huge amount of hurling left in him. While he will be the first to admit he wasnt at his sharpest last year but remember he had a late start to the season due to army duties abroad which meant his touch and hurling was probably lacking what was required for all of champo time. I have seen him in the gym this year doing his pre season training a good few times and he is in incredible shape and I would think he up there with TJ as probably physically the strongest of the squad. He still one the best corner backs in the business and doesnt fear any inter county forward. He has been unbelievably consistent the last few years and just think its wrong to right him off. Hopefully kilkenny can find a settled backline set up next year as the players need to gel together. One the main reason Murphy was so good over the years was because he had a great understanding with Jackie in the other corner and then obviously JJ minding the square. I hope im right but I expect Murphy to be a key player for us next year

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement about Paul Murphy. The lad is only 29 years old and while the average age of the inter county is dropping significantly.......he still has a huge amount of hurling left in him. While he will be the first to admit he wasnt at his sharpest last year but remember he had a late start to the season due to army duties abroad which meant his touch and hurling was probably lacking what was required for all of champo time. I have seen him in the gym this year doing his pre season training a good few times and he is in incredible shape and I would think he up there with TJ as probably physically the strongest of the squad. He still one the best corner backs in the business and doesnt fear any inter county forward. He has been unbelievably consistent the last few years and just think its wrong to right him off. Hopefully kilkenny can find a settled backline set up next year as the players need to gel together. One the main reason Murphy was so good over the years was because he had a great understanding with Jackie in the other corner and then obviously JJ minding the square. I hope im right but I expect Murphy to be a key player for us next year

True, himself and Colin came back late enough and had little proper game time. Break over winter will have done him no harm. Experienced operator at corner back and will be hard to displace from the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Nothing like being in the gym at the same time as Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty to make you feel weak as a kitten

i agree bout murphy i wouldnt write him off yet.As said above having jj beside him and buckley on his wing helped him.when he came bsck yhis year he was moved around a bit but his best position is corner back.
    we obvously have holes to plug in our team and hopefully cody has a spine in mind.it could be a big risk trying lawlor at 3 and delaney at 6 but its worth trying during the early stages.
    on the free taker issue he could use alan murphy,hogan or kelly if fit.

Noddy33 wrote: »

I hope that you are right too but I am entitled to my view that I don't see a future for him and that he has given great service. In the 2016 final he dropped his hurl and allowed Bubbles to score the decisive goal while he bent down to pick up his hurl. I think his confidence and judgement has been affected since. I don't doubt his commitment for a second and he was the best corner back in the country between 2011 up to 2016. I would love to see him back to his best, it would be a major boost to Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

If T.J. is off with the Shamrocks forthe start of the league - who'll be on free taking duties?

Kevin Kelly - but will he start every game? Free takers theses days need to be at 90%+ at inter-county level.
    Tj isn't operating at 90%+ on the frees by the way. He had a shocking semi final If I remember . Shamrocks even took him off the frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Happy Christmas folks, hopefully this time next year we'll all be settling down with a glass of our favourite poison to rewatch the all Ireland final 2019 and Colin (is he the captain?) lifting Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

kk1970 wrote: »
    Tj isn't operating at 90%+ on the frees by the way. He had a shocking semi final If I remember . Shamrocks even took him off the frees.

I would hazard a guess that he's at 90%+ at inter-county though

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Firstly I wouldnt write paul murphy off but he hasnt been as good the last 2 years.secondly we like most counties need to find players for next season.
    E murphy
    P deegan
    C buckley
    P walsh
    J maher
    Tj
    Walter
    Richie / fit
    are all main players for me.
    Joey could be added to that list IMO.
    Richie leahy john donnellt kevin kelly and a host of others have to push forward and claim their place..

i still think conor fogarty has something to offer he was immense for comer.Id also hope ciarian wallace was called in i think he could be a tidy corner back ive always had good time for him since the time he was under 21.Maybe someone from comer will know if his in.
    james maher had brillant year and fair play to him he has huge appetite for work and his hurling improved.
    we have blooded alot of good talent leahy,donnelly,billy ryan,scanlon,delaney and morrisey hopefully these can go from strenght to strenght and they can bulk out.I also think adrian mullen can be a big addition to our attack if he puts the head down he is a very good finisher while darren definitley has something to offer.
    the whole things kicks off in a few weeks and despite losing a lot of brillant players we are still dogged and competitive and hard to beat.even this year pushing limerick and galwsy to the pin of their collar even despite missing wally and kevin kelly who i think are big players.
    the biggest job cody has is trying lads at 3 and 6 personally id try lawlor and delaney and see how it goes during the league.

Watching wexford game and galway game earlier and its obvious certain players need to bulk up and be stronger in.order for their skills to flourish.scanlin and sheehan in game v wexford were blown away physically.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Watching wexford game and galway game earlier and its obvious certain players need to bulk up and be stronger in.order for their skills to flourish.scanlin and sheehan in game v wexford were blown away physically.
    exactly this should come with time.looking at paddy deegan up close against clara his a serious athlete now hopefully the younger lads can bulk up over the winter

Agree brookville hopefully kelly tommy walsh cleere morrisey etc can vome on physically over the coming months.also richie ger and orhers need a injury free run up to the championship.

I'd say he's not far off it - especially in the better weather and harder ground of March onwards. If he misses one, there's an audible gasp from the crowd. That shows the high standards he's set for himself.

Couldn't judge free takers in heavy rain and heavy pitch in Nov/Dec.

We'd want a regular free taker in league I think.

Regardless, Happy Christmas to everyone on this board. Hope it's been a good day so far and enjoy the festivities tomorrow and the following days.

I'd say he's not far off it - especially in the better weather and harder ground of March onwards. If he misses one, there's an audible gasp from the crowd. That shows the high standards he's set for himself.

Couldn't judge free takers in heavy rain and heavy pitch in Nov/Dec.

We'd want a regular free taker in league I think.

Regardless, Happy Christmas to everyone on this board. Hope it's been a good day so far and enjoy the festivities tomorrow and the following days.
    you would expect cody has someone earmarked for the frees.hopefully kevin kelly can get a good pre season into him.A very good player on his day.If he could get a good league into himself it would be great for his confidence.He is a player i really like.

• Advertisement

Am I correct in saying kebin kelly has not played for kk since the 2016 final?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement