Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

He started in the championship game we lost to Waterford in thurlas last year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

Nothing like being in the gym at the same time as Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty to make you feel weak as a kitten

They have been very poor last 2/3 years for kk. Can't see them figuring much this year

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

castlecat wrote: »
    He started in the championship game we lost to Waterford in thurlas last year ,

Thanks forgot that 1.so only 1 appearance since 16 final.alot like ger awlyard.needs to stay fit and hit the ground running early to establush himself on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Village87 wrote: »
    They have been very poor last 2/3 years for kk. Can't see them figuring much this year
    Alright lad. We'll revisit this post next summer and see how it stands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jesus lads. Can someone not give a negative opinion about a KK player without people throwing the toys out of the pram. Otherwise this place just becomes an echo chamber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Nothing like being in the gym at the same time as Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty to make you feel weak as a kitten

I could certainly see Conor Fogarty playing in the championship, he had a very good club campaign after suffering from glandular fever which affected his inter-county season. Paul Murphy would have to improve on his performances in the last two years.

The 2 lads have been very poor last 2/3 years since the core of the team left. They have not stepped up at all. Murphy is there for the taking and his hurling is suspect, makes to many mistakes.
    Fogarty is just to slow, ok in a ruck during the winter,just gets over run during the summer and has a big swing which he finds hard to clear the ball. Everybody was praising him for his work rate 4/5 years ago and I did too but he had great players around him, clearing exposed since then. I think his days are numbered he not getting any faster imo. I hope I'm wrong about these 2 but that my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

The 2 lads have been very poor last 2/3 years since the core of the team left. They have not stepped up at all. Murphy is there for the taking and his hurling is suspect, makes to many mistakes.
    Fogarty is just to slow, ok in a ruck during the winter,just gets over run during the summer and has a big swing which he finds hard to clear the ball. Everybody was praising him for his work rate 4/5 years ago and I did too but he had great players around him, clearing exposed since then. I think his days are numbered he not getting any faster imo. I hope I'm wrong about these 2 but that my opinion

In fairness lad with the lads these 2 were playing with they only had to do their own work. The last 2 yrs they have to do their own and quite a bit of the others around them also. From what I have seen Fogarty really stepped up in the club championship. Murphy was getting back up to speed. Just so you know you dont need 15 superstars someone has to the dirty work.
    Last point only for Michael Fennelly's injury I dont think the defenders would have got the roasting they did in 16.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ChrisPBaconMan

@Village87 - your constant berating of players on this forum is tiring at this stage.

It is laughable the knife you have in Conor Fogarty, every second post is about him. Collectively and somewhat amazingly, you have also torn strips off Paul Murphy, Michael Carey, Ger Alyward, Darren Mullen, Joey Holden, The Freshford Management team, The Tullaroan Management team, Richie Reid, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Mossy Keoghan, Ryan Bergin and leave it to what you have to say abour Conor Fogarty and Murphy "Fogarty non existant last 2/3 years. Paul Murphy very limited hurling" is your go-to.

You are a real keyboard warrior, a real hero.

Shock me, say something intelligent for once or get off this forum for good..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't agree with village 87 about much and he probably is too negative for me but he's entitled to his opinions. Who are you to be telling lads to get off the forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

There is lads like him in every gaa club they always think of the negative, but as was said he is entitled to his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

True enough Joe.

Has anybody heard who will be Kilkenny Captain this year?
    talk here is colin fennelly i also was told theres 7 shamrocks lads called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    True enough Joe.

Joey Holden, Darren Mullen, Richie Reid, Evan Shefflin, TJ, Adrian Mullen, Colin Fennelly?

blackcard wrote: »
    brookville wrote: »
    True enough Joe.

Joey Holden, Darren Mullen, Richie Reid, Evan Shefflin, TJ, Adrian Mullen, Colin Fennelly?
    yea id imagine so

so with the year over what was our highlights?i thought progress has being made with the seniors winning the league,pushing galway and limerick was a sign theres not much between the top 6 teams on any given day.i think we all agree if we could find a 3 and 6 and release the 2 lads it could transform the team hopefully delaney,lawlor and morrissey etc are given a chance.we seen what a fit richie done against limerick if we can get him right it would be some addition.We also need a few more scoring fowards hopefully kevin kelly or adrian mullen could be the men.
    locally the shamrocks v boro match was of the highest quality and my senior match of the year.id give michael murphy or tj senior club hurler of the year.
    the intermediate final was great entertainment with gbc snatching it at the death.Billy ryan really grew into a leader for them while Aaron brennan looks a great prospect.
    in junior while i wasnt at it i heard the emearlds slieverue match was a great match and i thought willie phelan or michael cody were excellent in their quest for glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Happy new year to all on the thread, hears to a good 2019 of hurling

The best of luck to all our teams for 2019 that will represent our county, club, camogie, handball, etc, we know when ye go out put the jersey on ye give it the best some days it doesn't but as Van the man sings there will be days like this. Supporters give players a chance a player like C Fogarty had a serious illness it takes time here is to 2019 for the year of the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Well said Joe, there seems to be only one poster here with an extreme dislike of fogerty but as another said, everyone is entitled to their opinion

Good 18 overall.qinning the league and should have win leinster final the first day.as many have said filling 3 and 6 is key allowing padraig and cillian to launch attacks.2/3 of adrian mullen kevin kelly luke scanlon billy ryan or bill sheehan mossy etc to really nail down a spot and with tj walter richie we should have enough firepower to take any team down.

Has anyone any word of camogie set up for this year.I know ann downey stayed on but some back room team are gone.could easily have been a 3 in a row team except for some bad refereeing decisions.but like waterford hurlers will they be let off the leash this year as minors and 16s very poor last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Best wishes in 2019...wherever you are.

Really looking forward to league starting again. Such a year for hurling last year - a high standard. Won league and should have won Leinster first day out. 3 clubs winning Leinster and great chance in All Ireland series.
    Hurling at county level in a good place but club fixtures need sorted for everyones benefit.

@Village87 - your constant berating of players on this forum is tiring at this stage.

It is laughable the knife you have in Conor Fogarty, every second post is about him. Collectively and somewhat amazingly, you have also torn strips off Paul Murphy, Michael Carey, Ger Alyward, Darren Mullen, Joey Holden, The Freshford Management team, The Tullaroan Management team, Richie Reid, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Mossy Keoghan, Ryan Bergin and leave it to what you have to say abour Conor Fogarty and Murphy "Fogarty non existant last 2/3 years. Paul Murphy very limited hurling" is your go-to.

You are a real keyboard warrior, a real hero.

Shock me, say something intelligent for once or get off this forum for good..

I have no agenda against these 2 lads. Kilkenny have not made a semi final in the past 2 years, I have great admiration for lads like TJ, Walter Walsh and Padraig Walsh, these lads produce all year round and have big influences on the big days. I hope I'm proved wrong about Fogarty and Murphy but I feel they are just surviving at present in these big games. I want to see kk progress not decline

As for other topics, not all posts are negative. Just a fair analysis I feel. A lot of the topics and players mentioned have been controversial. Everything can't be rosy and everyone is not great.

Happy new year to all and hopefully a successful year for KK

Kilkenny are in transition the last couple of years no team lost as many players as the senior team did, watching the limerick v kilkenny match last night if a few things had to go our way we would have getting to a semi final even though limerick were better they found it to put us away. Two big calls by James Mcgrath were major the leaving of a young player that was getting roasted on the half forward line there was a an error made by our management team it was not good for his confidence.

Watching limerick game alit of ifs burs and maybes.withoyt murphy in goal game could have been over at half time.lyng and lennon never should have been picked.if we had walter and shocking not giving free in to donnelly.bur we were close and all to play for this year if we get it right.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Watching limerick game alit of ifs burs and maybes.withoyt murphy in goal game could have been over at half time.lyng and lennon never should have been picked.if we had walter and shocking not giving free in to donnelly.bur we were close and all to play for this year if we get it right.

The one with R Hogan was worse when we were straight in on goal.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Kilkenny are in transition the last couple of years no team lost as many players as the senior team did, watching the limerick v kilkenny match last night if a few things had to go our way we would have getting to a semi final even though limerick were better they found it to put us away. Two big calls by James Mcgrath were major the leaving of a young player that was getting roasted on the half forward line there was a an error made by our management team it was not good for his confidence.
    to be honest i thought it was terrible desicision.it was going to be hard get enough on the scoreboard but its credit to the lads and especially scruff in the goal.The subs worked that day and hopefully leahy and donnelly improve and nail down a spot.The change at the back didnt work either.Hopefully they can learn from this and we blood a few lads during the league.Im hoping with the blooding of lads last year it will stand to us going foward and im hopefull adrian mullen and kevin kelly can add scoring threat up front.
    its going to be intresting to see will he try address the spine of the team in the next few weeks

I have no agenda against these 2 lads. Kilkenny have not made a semi final in the past 2 years, I have great admiration for lads like TJ, Walter Walsh and Padraig Walsh, these lads produce all year round and have big influences on the big days. I hope I'm proved wrong about Fogarty and Murphy but I feel they are just surviving at present in these big games. I want to see kk progress not decline

As for other topics, not all posts are negative. Just a fair analysis I feel. A lot of the topics and players mentioned have been controversial. Everything can't be rosy and everyone is not great.

Happy new year to all and hopefully a successful year for KK

Would you be able to explain that players mentioned were controversial in what way.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

dubcat51 wrote: »

One decision I only noticed now having watched the game back was in 69th minute with teams level, TJ is in possession in centre of the pitch, theres a grab of his jersey which twists him back to facing his own goal, only now i see in the background james mcgrath with his arm in the air giving the advantage. The play goes on and morrissey gets the wonder point about 30 seconds later. How anyone can see an advantage where you're facing your own goal with 3 opponents right on top of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

minty81 wrote: »
    One decision I only noticed now having watched the game back was in 69th minute with teams level, TJ is in possession in centre of the pitch, theres a grab of his jersey which twists him back to facing his own goal, only now i see in the background james mcgrath with his arm in the air giving the advantage. The play goes on and morrissey gets the wonder point about 30 seconds later. How anyone can see an advantage where you're facing your own goal with 3 opponents right on top of you!

Whats your point ?
    That is was great refereeing that he gave the advantage, and it resulted in a score?
    Or , that you only noticed it now ?
    Or that it was a bad decision cos, TJ couldn't see him (we don't know if he could or not?)
    Could you see/hear James McGrath shouting/telling Tj that there is an advantage being played?
    The ref only has to indicate that there is an advantage being played, and if he wants to tell/shout to the player involved , it is up to the ref.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Would you be able to explain that players mentioned were controversial in what way.

Management team from Freshford were giving the boot earlier in the year. Tullaroan have made some errors on the line which I feel is why they are still Intermediate. The mullens were mentioned, we can see what they they do when they out here mind to it, this time last year it was questioned would they hurl for the Shamrocks again.
    Richie Reid has played in the goal, half back line , centre field, had forward line and full forward line for kk, hasn't done much in either, players like Bolger and Walsh were released which is a big call for inside men we badly need.

Michael Carey has been called into the panel on what basis, reputation ? Unfair on a lot of lads not called who hurled excellently all year.

Ger Aylward is a topic of conversation for his off the field antics when players over the last 15 years were ignored or dropped if they did similar.
    Only for Eoin Murphy and Padriag Walsh the backs could concede 3+ goals a game, that's where Joey Holden probably was mentioned. Critical analysis lads sorry don't throw the prams out.

As mentioned before KK 5/6 excellent players as good as any team over last 20 years but carrying an awful lot. Lads like Leahy could be real stars this year, here is to hoping a few more materialise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement