Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

You can also throw Bill Sheehan on that injured list he has a broken bone in his hand. It happened in the Boro's Mullinavat game. It was suspected to be broken at the time but all the scans showed up clear. Unfortunately the injury has persisted and they eventually concluded that it is broken. Apparently it's one of the hardest bones to diagnose whether or not it's broken but it also can need up to 3 months recovery so hopefully that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd be interested to know the numbers of players who've made a minor panel over the last few years who weren't previously involved in a development squad setup. I'd imagine the number is tiny. To my eye it looks very hard for a young lad to get into the development squads if he's not involved from the start at U14. That's just from cursory glances the the squads posted on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

I'd be interested to know the numbers of players who've made a minor panel over the last few years who weren't previously involved in a development squad setup. I'd imagine the number is tiny. To my eye it looks very hard for a young lad to get into the development squads if he's not involved from the start at U14. That's just from cursory glances the the squads posted on the website.

IMO opinion i never really rated Development squads, most coaches in it are not of the highest standard.
    When the minor was u18 the best way to see a good minor was in schools matches and club level, a really good u17 would be pushing hard for a club place on the clubs first team. The following year most county minors could showcase there talent in the first 3 matches for adult clubs in April & May.

Very different now that it has moved to u17, most lads are to young to make the schools u19 team and no minors are allowed play adult hurling so nobody really as an idea of the minor team unless involved with underage club hurling. So the development squads have now become very important for that age group.
    There are so many u17's in the county that will grow,develop, improve etc that not having a south member on management really is ridiculous at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Regarding the minor dublin look to be very strong with 6 of last years panel involved.think the whole full forward line is under age again.couldnt hold swan at full fwd last year.hope we have a full back to do the job this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

i wonder will the team be announced tonight?i remember last year the teams werent announced for the walsh cup and not knowing the team till we went into the match.
    Injury to buckley is a concern im told its being at him since last year and they kinda hoped it would of being rectified by now but i suppose now is the time to try get the injuries sorted.Teams mightnt be as intrested in the league this year with teams anxious to find players for the hectic summer months and the league format is changing next year i think.
    we'll hopefully see plenty of new faces sunday and i think alot of lads want to see lawlor at 3 and maybe delaney at 6.It'd also be good to see jason cleere and kevin kelly get game time because both have missed alot of hurling and both are very good players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

brookville wrote: »
    i wonder will the team be announced tonight?i remember last year the teams werent announced for the walsh cup and not knowing the team till we went into the match.
    Injury to buckley is a concern im told its being at him since last year and they kinda hoped it would of being rectified by now but i suppose now is the time to try get the injuries sorted.Teams mightnt be as intrested in the league this year with teams anxious to find players for the hectic summer months and the league format is changing next year i think.
    we'll hopefully see plenty of new faces sunday and i think alot of lads want to see lawlor at 3 and maybe delaney at 6.It'd also be good to see jason cleere and kevin kelly get game time because both have missed alot of hurling and both are very good players.

1 Darren Brennan
    2 Rob Lennon
    3 Hugh Lawlor
    4 Tommy Walsh
    5 Conor Delaney
    6 Paddy Deegan
    7 Enda Morrissey
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Jason Cleere
    10 Liam Blanchfield
    11 Mossy Keoghan
    12 Ger Malone
    13 Kevin Kelly
    14 John Donnelly
    15 Luke Scanlon

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    1 Darren Brennan
    2 Rob Lennon
    3 Hugh Lawlor
    4 Tommy Walsh
    5 Conor Delaney
    6 Paddy Deegan
    7 Enda Morrissey
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Jason Cleere
    10 Liam Blanchfield
    11 Mossy Keoghan
    12 Ger Malone
    13 Kevin Kelly
    14 John Donnelly
    15 Luke Scanlon

is that the team?dont see it published anywhere

Paddy Deegan will have to improve drastically if he is he to be center back. Finds it hard to clear the ball at corner back, could be exposed at center back, seems one sided. Maybe I could be wrong but imo he lacks the hurling to date. Hope he proves me wrong

Village87 wrote: »

Paddy Deegan will have to improve drastically if he is he to be center back. Finds it hard to clear the ball at corner back, could be exposed at center back, seems one sided. Maybe I could be wrong but imo he lacks the hurling to date. Hope he proves me wrong
    not the most stylish hurler for sure but his very honest and he is improving.Thought he was very good for his club a few times i seen him at 6 although i would of liked to have seen delaney tried at 6.is this the team?

not the most stylish hurler for sure but his very honest and he is improving.Thought he was very good for his club a few times i seen him at 6 although i would of liked to have seen delaney tried at 6.is this the team?

Had a very tough time on Gillane v Limerick. Got cleaned in the air. A center back needs to be dominating the high ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The selectors don't have your blessing putting Paddy Deegan centre back for a Walsh cup match 13-1-19.

Had a very tough time on Gillane v Limerick. Got cleaned in the air. A center back needs to be dominating the high ball.
    i agree it was his worst game of the year but i thought he had a good year and his young so hopefully he can keep improving and learn from it.

It's the Walsh Cup. There's usually changes. As Bucks is our number 1 centre back there's an argument that it would be a waste playing Delaney at 6 when he won't play there late in the year and he is named in his most likely position. It's our first competitive game of the year let's not go assuming that Deegan is now our second choice centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Deegan is good in the air and clears the ball well IMO. I can see him play centre back if necessary but needs must and taking him away from corner back means having to find a new corner back and we are not flush with candidates.

We have a few lads that could hurl centre back - namely Delaney. He reminds me a bit of Brian Hogan in that he does the basics well and is good in the air. He would hold the centre better than Buckley does and besides we need Buckley elsewhere. I'd like to see himself and Padraig Walsh stationed on the wings to bring some pace and athleticism back to those areas of the field. I think Cody picked "stoppers" in those positions after being burned in 2016 & 2017.

Buckley could be an option for midfield too as Enda Morrissey had a good debut year and could make that position his own if he continues that rate of development. Can someone confirm if the team listed is the actual team or not? Seeing as the poster has not responded to the question I'm assuming it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

From kilkennygaa.ie.....

Team Vs Wexford 

Darren BrennanSt LachtainsRobert LennonBennettsbridgeHuw LawlorO'Loughlin GaelsTommy WalshTullaroanConor DelaneyErin's OwnPaddy DeeganO'Loughlin GaelsEnda MorrisseyBennettsbridgeJason CleereBennettsbridgeConor FogartyErin's OwnGer MaloneMullinavatMartin KeoghanTullaroanLiam BlanchfieldBennettsbridgeKevin KellySt PatricksJohn DonnellyThomastownLuke ScanlonJames Stephens

Subs

Eoin Murphy

Glenmore

Paul MurphyDanesfortConor O'SheaClaraRobbie FitzpatrickDicksboroTom KennyDicksboroRichie HoganDanesfortPat LyngRower InistiogeConor Martin EmeraldsNiall BrassilJames Stephens

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

I propose that Village87 be made chairman of the county board along with being added to Brian Cody's management team. In fact we have a ready made replacement for Mr. Cody!! The constant expertise has really become laughable at this stage. In the last day or two alone the development squads have been dismissed along with every coach who gives of their own free time in those squads. Paddy Deegan being tried at 6 a waste of time according to this seeming resident expert, Derek Lyng is only looking after his own, the list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

From kilkennygaa.ie.....

Team Vs Wexford 

Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge
    Huw Lawlor O'Loughlin Gaels
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Conor Delaney Erin's Own
    Paddy Deegan O'Loughlin Gaels
    Enda Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    Conor Fogarty Erin's Own
    Ger Malone Mullinavat
    Martin Keoghan Tullaroan
    Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    Kevin Kelly St Patricks
    John Donnelly Thomastown
    Luke Scanlon James Stephens

Subs
    Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    Paul Murphy Danesfort
    Conor O'Shea Clara
    Robbie Fitzpatrick Dicksboro
    Tom Kenny Dicksboro
    Richie Hogan Danesfort
    Pat Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Conor Martin Emeralds
    Niall Brassil James Stephens
    Spaced that out a bit

Deegan is good in the air and clears the ball well IMO. I can see him play centre back if necessary but needs must and taking him away from corner back means having to find a new corner back and we are not flush with candidates.

We have a few lads that could hurl centre back - namely Delaney. He reminds me a bit of Brian Hogan in that he does the basics well and is good in the air. He would hold the centre better than Buckley does and besides we need Buckley elsewhere. I'd like to see himself and Padraig Walsh stationed on the wings to bring some pace and athleticism back to those areas of the field. I think Cody picked "stoppers" in those positions after being burned in 2016 & 2017.

Buckley could be an option for midfield too as Enda Morrissey had a good debut year and could make that position his own if he continues that rate of development. Can someone confirm if the team listed is the actual team or not? Seeing as the poster has not responded to the question I'm assuming it's not.
    http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2452
    its the team alright fair play to him he had it before it was published.
    its good to see tommy walsh getting a run.Hopefully kelly goes well he could be a big addition.

suirway wrote: »
    I propose that Village87 be made chairman of the county board along with being added to Brian Cody's management team. In fact we have a ready made replacement for Mr. Cody!! The constant expertise has really become laughable at this stage. In the last day or two alone the development squads have been dismissed along with every coach who gives of their own free time in those squads. Paddy Deegan being tried at 6 a waste of time according to this seeming resident expert, Derek Lyng is only looking after his own, the list goes on...

Don't insult the position of chairman to propose him, we would be playing in the nicky rackard cup if he got Brian Codys job its sad to see somebody so negative. The best of luck to the kilkenny team in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Its walsh cuo and this is the time to give things ago.with cillian injured and no return date as of now ,then we shoukd try out different options.I felt paddy deegan had a great year last year
    and hopefully ha can improve further.hopefully tommy walsh delaney kelly etc can step forward and make the squad deeper.

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Its walsh cuo and this is the time to give things ago.with cillian injured and no return date as of now ,then we shoukd try out different options.I felt paddy deegan had a great year last year
    and hopefully ha can improve further.hopefully tommy walsh delaney kelly etc can step forward and make the squad deeper.
    agreed its the first game of the year this is the time to try lads.Not many will remember this game in 6 months time.Its a good stepping stone for the league and a great opportunity for lads to try nail down a spot because we'll be down numbers for the league.Alot of these lads have panel experience and its great for ger malone to get a run after putting in a few years on the panel.wexford also have a experimental team out but their dunbar and dunne in attack are very fast and will probably cause us trouble.Our half back looks solid and our half foward line looks hard working but wont trouble the scoreboard but our full foward line looks dangerous if we can get quailty ball in.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Don't insult the position of chairman to propose him, we would be playing in the nicky rackard cup if he got Brian Codys job its sad to see somebody so negative. The best of luck to the kilkenny team in Wexford.

Village87 is entitled to his opinion on any forum but it seems ye two seem adament that only opinions that agree with ye’re own will go without ridicule. How arrogant ye are. A lot of what he says I agree with see he’s not on his own. Fact remains, that his opinion is closer to the standards that KK players had when KK were winning all around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Joe Daly wrote: »

From what I can see he knows more about hurling that you ever will...there are way too many cheerleaders here as it is, good to have a few voices that don't just bow at the feet of Cody & the county board.

Rochelle wrote: »
    From what I can see he knows more about hurling that you ever will...there are way too many cheerleaders here as it is, good to have a few voices that don't just bow at the feet of Cody & the county board.

May be he does know more about hurling than I do but where do I show that I think I know a lot about hurling. Players need encouragement any player is tried needs time instead of this constant put down in his eyes no body is any good we all know where we are at the moment ,ten years ago we were going for four in a row we are at a total different level in 2019. Its going to take a couple of years to get back to wining ways but everybody needs to be behind players I have seen it before it took us from 1983 to 1992 to win all Ireland. I know a player from a club in kilkenny that won eight all Ireland senior medals that was verbally abused so much after a minor all Ireland 1995 he never wanted to hurl again because of people that thought they knew there hurling gave them there mind.Here is to a good 2019 minor, U20s, Intermediate, senior, camogie, handball I am proud of any body that puts on the blackamber gives 100percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Heading down to the game today in Enniscorthy and just wondering if anyone knows if you can use your season ticket to get into the match?

laneykin wrote: »
    Heading down to the game today in Enniscorthy and just wondering if anyone knows if you can use your season ticket to get into the match?
    going down myself but u cant use the season ticket you never can because its for injured players fund

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

going down myself but u cant use the season ticket you never can because its for injured players fund

Ah right, was thinking that you couldn't alright but said I better make sure before I head off without it! Hopefully it'll be a good day out with the right result :)

mercury16 wrote: »
    Village87 is entitled to his opinion on any forum but it seems ye two seem adament that only opinions that agree with ye’re own will go without ridicule. How arrogant ye are. A lot of what he says I agree with see he’s not on his own. Fact remains, that his opinion is closer to the standards that KK players had when KK were winning all around them.

Talking about players like C Fogarty which suffered from a debleating illness which I find disgusting ignorant the player is trying to get back to where he was a couple of years ago .The person below says he knows a lot more about hurling than I do the day you go out think you know everything judge players, officals with negativity like he does is a sad day for you . I am sure the officals on the sidelines to day will learn something new that's what happens in life in general.

Interested to hear what conditions were like for the game. 13 points and only 5 in the second half a poor return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lads we are really going to struggle in the league this year. 13 points. It just won't cut it against high scoring teams like Tipp, Clare and Cork. This could be the year that we are relegated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement