Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Well that's not necessarily true now is it. Bar Chin and Rory O Connor how many other of their main men were they missing? Liam Ryan, Paudie Foley, Murphy, O Keeffe, Dunbar, McDonald all played.

This is the team that played us last June
    Wexford
    1. Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown)

2. Damien Reck (Oylegate-Glenbrien)
    3. Liam Ryan (Rapparees)
    17. Conor Firman (St Martin’s)

5. Paudie Foley (Crossabeg-Ballymurn)
    6. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James)
    7. Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Anne’s)

8. Kevin Foley (Rapparees)
    9. Shaun Murphy (Oulart-the-Ballagh)

10. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers – captain)
    11. Aidan Nolan (HWH Bunclody)
    24. David Dunne (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy)

13. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidan’s)
    14. Rory O’Connor (St Martin’s)
    15. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna)

Subs

23. Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn) for Kevin Foley (54)
    12. Jack O’Connor (St Martin’s) for Dunne (54)
    4. Simon Donohoe (Shelmaliers) for O’Keeffe (62)
    26. Shane Tomkins (Askamore) for Morris (70)

Chin, Hanlon and Rory O Connor the only big names missing

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob2015

Was at the game today poor standard in the first half. Improved in the second half.

I thought Deegan was excellent at centre back and scored a terrific point in the second half. Our best player by a mile today. Tommy Walsh also impressive Huw lawlor not tested but did what he had to do. Fowards had no link up play and balls kept being played into Foley at sweeper. Wouldn't panic yet but we can't seem to win any aerial ball in our half forward line. Still only January onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Marrooned wrote: »
    I was down in Enniscorthy today. First of all I knew it was going to be a bad day when I saw Keenan chatting and shaking hands with all the Wexford lads before the throw in . People on this site are still slating our players, they scored 8 pts. From play in comparison to Wexfords 4 pts from play. We struggled to get frees off of that excuse for a ref. Our forwards in particular were seriously harassed and constantly fouled , this is a regular occurrence with some Wexford players who must be thinking this is within the law when they are getting away with it for so long .anyway I thought Tommy Walsh, Conor Delaney, Enda Morrissey and Mossy were the pick of our bunch . This was a very inexperienced team who went into the lions den and didn't do that bad .Wexford 4 pts from play?
    Agreed fully, we need backs and the three mentioned had a good day. Ref played according to the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

jimbob2015 wrote: »
    Was at the game today poor standard in the first half. Improved in the second half.

I thought Deegan was excellent at centre back and scored a terrific point in the second half. Our best player by a mile today. Tommy Walsh also impressive Huw lawlor not tested but did what he had to do. Fowards had no link up play and balls kept being played into Foley at sweeper. Wouldn't panic yet but we can't seem to win any aerial ball in our half forward line. Still only January onwards and upwards
    i agree with this i thought tommy and delaney were good but in general the backs were good it was our fowards who didnt click with the exception of mossy who tried fierce hard.Missed a few handier ones and got the hard ones.Hopefully wally,leahy aylward,hogan,kelly and maher can be ready for the league to add a bit to our attack.I wouldnt get to excited lads here would think we lost an all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Watching the match today it seems that our delivery of the ball and our movement to receive it is certainly not good. I know it's our 1st day out but we were horsed out of it in the forwards so what do you do as a forward? I think we don't play to our strengths. Luke Scanlon and Kevin Kelly should be sitting deep in the full forward line and coming our fast to a low ball but neither happens. No low ball and no proper positioning of our fast forwards to come on to these low deliveries. When you don't have the strongest forwards you have to play to your strengths.
    As couple of other things apart from a terrible ref who was at fault for the sending offs as he didn't even deal with the strike to a kilkenny face which is what led to the kilkenny lads tearing deservedly into the wexford lads and resulting in 2 reds. Huw Lawlor definitely has promise. Rob Lennon won't do at all. We can't keep looking at this. Surely some other lads deserve a chance there. Tommy in the corner not bad but was responsible for at least 2 wexford points with stray passes. Half backline ok. Did well enough. Midfield in and out of the game. Forwards too light and not looking for or getting the low crossfield ball. This has to change and hopefully will. All in all it was a decent run out but missing so many regulars it was always going to be tough. No need to be too disheartened when you think of the following to come in that didn't start....

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Darren Mullen
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    James Maher
    Walter Walsh
    TJ Reid
    Billy Ryan
    Adrian Mullen
    Richie Hogan
    Colin Fennelly
    Bill Sheehan

All will be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Watching the match today it seems that our delivery of the ball and our movement to receive it is certainly not good. I know it's our 1st day out but we were horsed out of it in the forwards so what do you do as a forward? I think we don't play to our strengths. Luke Scanlon and Kevin Kelly should be sitting deep in the full forward line and coming our fast to a low ball but neither happens. No low ball and no proper positioning of our fast forwards to come on to these low deliveries. When you don't have the strongest forwards you have to play to your strengths.
    As couple of other things apart from a terrible ref who was at fault for the sending offs as he didn't even deal with the strike to a kilkenny face which is what led to the kilkenny lads tearing deservedly into the wexford lads and resulting in 2 reds. Huw Lawlor definitely has promise. Rob Lennon won't do at all. We can't keep looking at this. Surely some other lads deserve a chance there. Tommy in the corner not bad but was responsible for at least 2 wexford points with stray passes. Half backline ok. Did well enough. Midfield in and out of the game. Forwards too light and not looking for or getting the low crossfield ball. This has to change and hopefully will. All in all it was a decent run out but missing so many regulars it was always going to be tough. No need to be too disheartened when you think of the following to come in that didn't start....

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Darren Mullen
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    James Maher
    Walter Walsh
    TJ Reid
    Billy Ryan
    Adrian Mullen
    Richie Hogan
    Colin Fennelly
    Bill Sheehan

All will be good

Is Darren Mullen on the panel? Great hurler but I understand he was released from the senior panel last year fairly early on.

Topcat32 wrote: »

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Darren Mullen
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    James Maher
    Walter Walsh
    TJ Reid
    Billy Ryan
    Adrian Mullen
    Richie Hogan
    Colin Fennelly
    Bill Sheehan

All will be good

Is Darren Mullen on the panel? Great hurler but I understand he was released from the senior panel last year fairly early on.
    darren mullen is back in im told 7 bhale lads in and ive being watching him a few years and think he could definitely do a job for us.I also wouldnt be afraid to throw adrian in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    darren mullen is back in im told 7 bhale lads in and ive being watching him a few years and think he could definitely do a job for us.I also wouldnt be afraid to throw adrian in either.

I’d have Mullen starting corner back. Quick tight fast and lovely wrists. Can work the ball out and hurl. Murphy and Deegan are lacking the hurling st the highest standard. Lennon just too slow I’m afraid. Hopefully lawlor makes a no.3. Hard to judge on today with so much protection and sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Village87 wrote: »
    I’d have Mullen starting corner back. Quick tight fast and lovely wrists. Can work the ball out and hurl. Murphy and Deegan are lacking the hurling st the highest standard. Lennon just too slow I’m afraid. Hopefully lawlor makes a no.3. Hard to judge on today with so much protection and sweeper.

Paul Murphy has 4 well deserved all stars and has been brilliant for Kilkenny so the comment that he lacks the hurling is wrong in my opinion, whether he still has the legs to cope in a full back line that seems to end up with acres of space in front of it over the last few years is another story. Mullen is a very good hurler and I'd love to see him start, just have a concern that he hasn't really seemed to develop physically that much since he was 16.

thlnk i heard the local draws are on monday week.

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy has given his all for the county over the years and I think he still has it in him to keep it going. Darren Mullen has a big career ahead of him. The difference he makes at corner back for the shamrocks is evident. Tightened things up no end from the naomh eanna match when he started there v ballyboden. Still learing though.

This is the time of year to try new faces in different positions and the likes of huw Lawlor hopefully learns from the other guys. Might not make it this year but he will make it.

Big year ahead for the likes of Jason cleere, Conor Delaney, enda Morrissey and Kevin Kelly. Kelly has all the hurling and was unlucky with injuries last year.

Deegan is improving all the time and hopefully the likes of mossy, Scanlon and lyng can bulk up somewhat as at the minute it seems they are a little light. That being said they certainly have the ability and skill.

Paul Murphy has given his all for the county over the years and I think he still has it in him to keep it going. Darren Mullen has a big career ahead of him. The difference he makes at corner back for the shamrocks is evident. Tightened things up no end from the naomh eanna match when he started there v ballyboden. Still learing though.

This is the time of year to try new faces in different positions and the likes of huw Lawlor hopefully learns from the other guys. Might not make it this year but he will make it.

Big year ahead for the likes of Jason cleere, Conor Delaney, enda Morrissey and Kevin Kelly. Kelly has all the hurling and was unlucky with injuries last year.

Deegan is improving all the time and hopefully the likes of mossy, Scanlon and lyng can bulk up somewhat as at the minute it seems they are a little light. That being said they certainly have the ability and skill.

Ends Morrissey had an excellent year last year and is there or there abouts.
    Jadon Cleere & Rob Lennon really need to hit the ground running this year, same with lads like Luke too, although a better midfielder.There getting plenty chances but don’t seem to be taking them.

I can name 4/5 forwards not on the panel better than some of the forwards there at the moment .

Chris Bolger
    John Walsh
    Brian Cody
    Conor Hennessey
    Robbie Buckley

All excellent for club last year and forwards and deemed not good enough for a panel of 50 players

I can name 4/5 forwards not on the panel better than some of the forwards there at the moment .

Chris Bolger
    John Walsh
    Brian Cody
    Conor Hennessey
    Robbie Buckley

All excellent for club last year and forwards and deemed not good enough for a panel of 50 players

As far as I know none of the above were brought in. Cody has looked at these guys alright and some are definitely worth a look at in training with the rest if the panel. I would think for sure Conor Hennessey is as good or better than some of the forwards listed yesterday but you only find that out by having these guys in there training.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I was at a camogie county final yesterday.
    Pretty poor skillwise (ground conditions were very soft and a strong wind).
    The thing that struck me was the amount of people on the sideline .
    There was 5 on the 'management' team for 1 side + 'medic' + bottle carrier.
    There was 2 on the management team for the other + medic + 2/3 bottle carriers.

That's 13 people on the sideline for a Minor match, and at almost every break in play there was anywhere between 5-8 of these out on the pitch doling out water/advice/instruction.
    It looks terrible ! There must be laws regarding how many can be on the sideline? It just looked like Aussie rules at times where all these people just walked out onto the pitch with bottles and shopping bags.
    It also happened in the All Ireland semi final in Thurles, where there was 'maor foirne' on the pitch constantly! One girl with the water bottle may as well have being playing in the half forward line she was on the pitch so much.

There must be laws /regulations to who, and how many can be on the pitch?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's easy for you to say

That's easy for you to say

Apologies.
    Phone went bananas

Back to the 1st round of the league v Cork sunday week who do we have back for this?
    Club tied players unavailable and im assuming colleges are starting now aswell.

Eoin and Paul Murphy to start including Richie Hogan?
    Dont know re Walter Walsh, Padraig Walsh, Richie Leahy or James Maher but im assuming Cillian Buckley is unavailable.
    Does anyone know the true extent of his injury? Different stories going around.

Back to the 1st round of the league v Cork sunday week who do we have back for this?
    Club tied players unavailable and im assuming colleges are starting now aswell.

Eoin and Paul Murphy to start including Richie Hogan?
    Dont know re Walter Walsh, Padraig Walsh, Richie Leahy or James Maher but im assuming Cillian Buckley is unavailable.
    Does anyone know the true extent of his injury? Different stories going around.
    the fitzgibbon is starting this weekend i think so its going to be tough going on the younger lads.
    dont know with maher he wasnt togged yesterday.Cody said alyward and walsh should be back soon but id imagine no one will be rushed back.id say walter and and the 2 murphys should be back although it was intresting to see paul come on mid field yesterday.
    it was hard to read much into the match yesterday only we struggled with the sweeper again but we had some new lads in defence yesterday who done there chances no harm and restricted the opposition to only a handfull of points from play.
    that game should bring on kevin kelly hopefully he'll have a good league.Wally and hogan will probably start as will mossy and kelly
    the talk re buckley is he had surgery and is rehabbing at the moment but they wont really know for a few months what the result will be and if he requires more could miss the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Wasn’t at that game but heard it was a fiery low enough quality afffair. Wouldn’t worry about the result too much especially with the fitzgibbon starting. Last year was our rebuilding year so we should be much better this year. One of the worries I have is that the younger lads coming through arnt nailing down a starting a place. Hopefully Buckley isn’t out for the year. If lawor can nail down a position and look solid at FB and Delaney at CB it could really help our attacking play with Walsh and bucko on the wings. Would have liked to see deegan kept in the corner considering that’s where he will proberly play for the year but you have to try things out I spose. Leahy Donnelly Cleere really need to drive on this year and step up as they’ve been involved long enough, Kevin kelly and alyward need to regain form. If hogan can return to his best it will be a big help with wally and tj, there 3/6 forwards who have good understanding of the game and good in the air. Going to be tough but looking forward to the league, hopefully lads are given a fair chance although I think I’ve seen enough of Lennon, o shea and Conor Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Grats wrote: »
    Precisely.

Had that point made to me in Kilmacow recently.

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Wasn’t at that game but heard it was a fiery low enough quality afffair. Wouldn’t worry about the result too much especially with the fitzgibbon starting. Last year was our rebuilding year so we should be much better this year. One of the worries I have is that the younger lads coming through arnt nailing down a starting a place. Hopefully Buckley isn’t out for the year. If lawor can nail down a position and look solid at FB and Delaney at CB it could really help our attacking play with Walsh and bucko on the wings. Would have liked to see deegan kept in the corner considering that’s where he will proberly play for the year but you have to try things out I spose. Leahy Donnelly Cleere really need to drive on this year and step up as they’ve been involved long enough, Kevin kelly and alyward need to regain form. If hogan can return to his best it will be a big help with wally and tj, there 3/6 forwards who have good understanding of the game and good in the air. Going to be tough but looking forward to the league, hopefully lads are given a fair chance although I think I’ve seen enough of Lennon, o shea and Conor Martin.

Is o Shea still there ? I thought he was gone after the championship match against Wexford last year . Agree with your post

The_Ghost wrote: »

Is o Shea still there ? I thought he was gone after the championship match against Wexford last year . Agree with your post
    he was a sub last sunday.players like him have being panel members 4 or 5 years and still not making the 15 it nost be hard to keep coming back.At least tommy walsh is being tried he looked good the other day apart from one or two mistakes but i think we're better off going down that road.

Where can i get the Fitzgibbon fixtures ?

only see 2018 on thr gaa site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

he was a sub last sunday.players like him have being panel members 4 or 5 years and still not making the 15 it nost be hard to keep coming back.At least tommy walsh is being tried he looked good the other day apart from one or two mistakes but i think we're better off going down that road.

He has to make mistakes to learn from them.

Joe Daly wrote: »

He has to make mistakes to learn from them.
    i agree i thought he hurled well and id like to see him start against cork corner back with murphy.id like to see maher come back into mf with fogarty but the few changes that will come will most likely come in attck. Mossy was good the other day and can never be faultèd for effort.Wally and hogan should hopefully start.blanchfield wont miss any league and hopefully kevin kelly had no affects from the other day and cody was only easing him back into things cause i know he holds him in high regard.
    i know we've 11 or 12 lads with fitzgibbon and im sure most counties are the same so these lads will probably be used sparingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

i agree i thought he hurled well and id like to see him start against cork corner back with murphy.id like to see maher come back into mf with fogarty but the few changes that will come will most likely come in attck. Mossy was good the other day and can never be faultèd for effort.Wally and hogan should hopefully start.blanchfield wont miss any league and hopefully kevin kelly had no affects from the other day and cody was only easing him back into things cause i know he holds him in high regard.
    i know we've 11 or 12 lads with fitzgibbon and im sure most counties are the same so these lads will probably be used sparingly.

Cody was talking about that to day the Irish independent had an interview he gave to kilkenny community radio on sunday, the amount of games is scandalous on heavy pitches as he said himself all counties have the same problems but burnout is a serious issue. The gaa have seem to have lost respect for the club I don't know about other people but that is the way I think. Hopefully we wont have a bad spring weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Cody was talking about that to day the Irish independent had an interview he gave to kilkenny community radio on sunday, the amount of games is scandalous on heavy pitches as he said himself all counties have the same problems but burnout is a serious issue. The gaa have seem to have lost respect for the club I don't know about other people but that is the way I think. Hopefully we wont have a bad spring weather wise.

I think most people would agree with that. And then you have an army of players on the other hand doing nothing in the height of summer. There's no easy solutions, but it's hard to imagine a worse set up than the current calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I personally don't think the GAA have lost respect for the club, they've just created a monster with the intercounty game that they can't control. The whole thing just needs a major overhaul.

Scrap the preseason competitions and the league, make the provincial championships the preseason comps and turn the championship into an open draw league/championship of 12 teams and work it like the Kilkenny club league/championship.

Job done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement