Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Noddy33 wrote: »
    What a load of bullsh!T and that kind of personal talk and digs at any player on a public forum really annoys me. Anyone who knows hurling will know that TJ's preparation and commitment to the sport is second to none. At the end of the day it an amateur sport with a professional training approach but players are entitled to a life outside of GAA so any other interests or 'distractions' that you refer to are completely irrelevant.

Jealous remark.

TJ is an outstanding individual and hurler, fair play to him for making money out of the GAA and his profile, TJ does the business and the field so more power to him.

In some instances i do agree that some players are not doing the business on the field and are using there profile and other players who got them that far as a marketing tool rather than getting back to basics and back to the hurlers they can be. Nearly always to late tho

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

TJ is an outstanding hurler who takes pride in the jersey and the mindset of a professional in an amateur game.

The training / life balance can be tough enough on our county stars without running their own business and guiding a club to an all ireland semi final. Like anyone - it can be a lot to burden but I have every confidence in TJ doing the business when required.

The distractions I mentioned are of rushing TJ back for the latter stages of the league when he should be afforded the time to ensure he is 100% ready for hopefully a long summer campaign in the black and amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

So Stephens, OLG, Ballyhale, Clara, Bridge and Vegas in one group. Boro, Danesfort, Ballyragget, Ballycallan, Rower and Comer in second group

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

blackcard wrote: »
    So Stephens, OLG, Ballyhale, Clara, Bridge and Vegas in one group. Boro, Danesfort, Ballyragget, Ballycallan, Rower and Comer in second group

Christ first group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Glenmore, Shocks, Tullogher, Tullaroan, Fenians and Freshford in intermediate group. Gowran Martin's, Lisdowney, Callan, Dunnamaggan and Thomastown in second group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

blackcard wrote: »
    Group two teams will all be pretty happy with that draw you'd have to say. As a boro fan I know I am. Group one will be great craic for neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

greenspurs wrote: »
    A good win for our Senior camogie team yesterday Vs Clare in Callan.
    Very cold day, with a long grass made for a poor enough game, but also considering those two factors and the fact that it was the first game of the League, 1-09 to 0-07 , its a case of "job done'
    did camogie play with a swerper?who stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

dubcat51 wrote: »
    did camogie play with a swerper?who stood out.

They were 15 on 15. Played very deep though in the second half as Clare got on top , and were using the wind . Katie Power was very isolated when she came on, as the other 2 forwards dropped deep to cover the half forwards, who were also dropping back.

Davinia Tobin was outstanding - covered every inch of the pitch, great interceptions and delivered great ball into the half forward line.
    Denise Gaule drove on the team, she really is the heartbeat of the team on the pitch. Tireless!
    Danielle Morrissey was very lively, and gave the Clare defence a tough time - Scored 3 (?) points I think.

For Clare , Eimear Kelly really stood out, fine hurler.!

Next fixture - Sat 26th Vs Dublin in Callan @2.00

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

They were 15 on 15. Played very deep though in the second half as Clare got on top , and were using the wind . Katie Power was very isolated when she came on, as the other 2 forwards dropped deep to cover the half forwards, who were also dropping back.

Davinia Tobin was outstanding - covered every inch of the pitch, great interceptions and delivered great ball into the half forward line.
    Denise Gaule drove on the team, she really is the heartbeat of the team on the pitch. Tireless!
    Danielle Morrissey was very lively, and gave the Clare defence a tough time - Scored 3 (?) points I think.

For Clare , Eimear Kelly really stood out, fine hurler.!

Next fixture - Sat 26th Vs Dublin in Callan @2.00
    saw anne dalton named at 15 cant belueve she played there.good to see mortissey score 3 from play just out of minor.is shelley farrell injured?

saw anne dalton named at 15 cant belueve she played there.good to see mortissey score 3 from play just out of minor.is shelley farrell injured?
    Anne Dalton played in the half forwards, played ok.

Shelley is gone to Australia.

• Advertisement

Christ first group.

Dicksboro will be happy with the draw. Our group is a nightmare.

Intermediate has Tullaroan, Carrickshock, Tullogher, Freshford and Glenmore in one group. 5 of the strongest intermediate teams imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Village87 wrote: »
    Dicksboro will be happy with the draw. Our group is a nightmare.

Intermediate has Tullaroan, Carrickshock, Tullogher, Freshford and Glenmore in one group. 5 of the strongest intermediate teams imo

Heard John Dalton was retiring for the Shocks not a lot of optimism talking to people from there, say they have no young lads coming through, be very interesting to see how Tullaroan react this year, they have been the hot favs to win intermediate for a few years & failed & the bitterest of pills to swallow last year

robwen wrote: »
    Heard John Dalton was retiring for the Shocks not a lot of optimism talking to people from there, say they have no young lads coming through, be very interesting to see how Tullaroan react this year, they have been the hot favs to win intermediate for a few years & failed & the bitterest of pills to swallow last year

Was John Dalton not training the team after the manager was forced out early last year? Carrickshck will still have a strong spine and be hard to beat

Anne Dalton played in the half forwards, played ok.

Shelley is gone to Australia.
    is shelley gone for rhe year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Village87 wrote: »
    Was John Dalton not training the team after the manager was forced out early last year? Carrickshck will still have a strong spine and be hard to beat

I don't think so, he was the main man in the ousting of the guy I believe, they got a lad in from tipp to train them after. Brian Greene former Waterford hurler training them this yr

is shelley gone for rhe year

I'm not sure, but I would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

These were our Fitzgibbon players the weekend gone.

UCD
    Huw Lawlor FB
    Robert Lennon CB
    Sean Carey LCF
    Subs
    James Bergin
    Bill Cuddihy
    UCD 3-12 NUIG 1-18

IT Carlow
    Jason Cleere RWB
    Richie Leahy MF
    Kevin Murphy RCF (Rower)
    Subs
    Padraig Mullen (Danesfort)
    Damien Aylward (Mullinavat)
    IT Carlow 1-13 Lim IT 1-14

DCU
    Conor Delaney CB
    John Donnelly RCF
    James Bergin FF (Conahy)
    Sean Morrissey LCF
    Sub
    Edmond Delaney (Conahy)
    Billy Ryan (GBC)

WIT
    Owen McGrath FB (John Lockes)
    Tommy Walsh RWB
    Shane Ryan CB (Rower)
    Ollie Walsh RWF
    Shane Murphy CF
    Conor Hennessey FF(Tullogher)
    Subs
    Stephen Haberlin (Kilmacow)
    Darragh Walsh (Piltown)
    Robbie Buckley (OLG)
    John Campion (St Lachtains)
    Anthony McNamara (Kilmacow)

DCU 0-16 WIT 0-14

UL
    Evan Cody FB
    Michael Carey RWB
    Alan Murphy RCF
    Subs
    Brian Coady
    Martin Keoghan

UCC
    Conor Browne MF

UL 0-20 UCC 0-26

DIT
    Niall Walsh RWF (Windgap)
    Liam Blanchfield CF
    David Herity Manager
    JJ Delaney selector

Mary I
    Sub
    Stephen Farrell

Trinty beat Garda can't find a team for either.

Theres a lot of lads who will be expected to play the league for Kilkenny in those teams it'll be an interesting few weeks ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Professional players wouldn't be asked give as much to there code rugby, soccer,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Who is James Bergin for UCD? Clara? Thought it was the Conahy one but I see he's in DCU

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Professional players wouldn't be asked give as much to there code rugby, soccer,

Rugby players are protected and only play x amount of provincial games to maximise their game time for the national team.

Training / work / life balance is becoming increasingly difficult to manage and that's before factoring in those who are lucky enough to have sponsorship agreements and brand ambassador commitments too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Who is James Bergin for UCD? Clara? Thought it was the Conahy one but I see he's in DCU
    its the only one i can think of?are darren and adrian mullen in college or both excused because of club commitments?

brookville wrote: »
    its the only one i can think of?are darren and adrian mullen in college or both excused because of club commitments?

Surely they are focusing on the second weekend in February and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

what are our thoughts for sunday?should be a decent crowd despite the increase in prices.Just looking at the fitzgibbon fixtures cody wasnt wrong when highlighting this a few weeks ago.While its great to be represtented at this grade its very hard for county teams to prepare for a league or maybe dj is right when he said they should be excluded till after the fitzgibbon although some counties will rely on these lads.I know we in kk would like to have lawlor and delaney getting game time.
    we probably dont know where we are on the injury situation regarding padraig,wally,maher,aylward but hopefully we'll give a good account of ourselves sunday and we get a good return out of our fowards.

brookville wrote: »
    what are our thoughts for sunday?should be a decent crowd despite the increase in prices.Just looking at the fitzgibbon fixtures cody wasnt wrong when highlighting this a few weeks ago.While its great to be represtented at this grade its very hard for county teams to prepare for a league or maybe dj is right when he said they should be excluded till after the fitzgibbon although some counties will rely on these lads.I know we in kk would like to have lawlor and delaney getting game time.
    we probably dont know where we are on the injury situation regarding padraig,wally,maher,aylward but hopefully we'll give a good account of ourselves sunday and we get a good return out of our fowards.

Look it’s the same for every county. That’s why KK have the 50 on the panel. No player should be asked to do much with a panel that size. Brian Cody has said numerous times he believes in the panel. We will know where we stand after this league panel wise.
    Looking forward to Sunday, Cork have similar if not more players in the Fitzgibbon than Kk so it will be interesting to see line ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Rugby players are protected and only play x amount of provincial games to maximise their game time for the national team.

Training / work / life balance is becoming increasingly difficult to manage and that's before factoring in those who are lucky enough to have sponsorship agreements and brand ambassador commitments too.

Player welfare

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Player welfare

Thanks Joe.

From what I've heard this is who's on the panel, I'm missing at least 9 if there's 50 in there

Eoin Murphy
    Darren Brennan

Paul Murphy
    Huw Lawlor Fitzgibbon
    Conor Delaney Fitzgibbon
    Tommy Walsh Fitzgibbon
    Paddy Deegan
    Joey Holden club
    Cillian Buckley injured indefinite
    Conor O'Shea
    Robert Lennon Fitzgibbon
    Jason Cleere Fitzgibbon
    Padraig Walsh injured 2-3 weeks
    Tom Kenny
    Conor Browne Fitzgibbon
    Aidan Nolan
    Michael Carey Fitzgibbon
    Michael Cody club
    Robbie Fitzpatrick
    Tom Aylward coming back from injury
    Darren Mullen club
    Evan Shefflin club

James Maher
    Conor Fogarty
    Richie Leahy Fitzgibbon
    Richie Reid club

Tj Reid club
    Richie Hogan
    Walter Walsh
    Martin Keoghan Fitzgibbon
    Liam Blanchfield Fitzgibbon
    Billy Ryan Fitzgibbon
    Kevin Kelly
    Colin Fennelly club
    Ger Aylward Injured finger
    John Donnelly Fitzgibbon
    Adrian Mullen club
    Bill Sheehan injured 3 months
    Pat Lyng
    Shane Murphy Fitzgibbon
    Niall Brassill

So lads we have to pick from this weekend are:

Eoin Murphy
    Darren Brennan

Paul Murphy
    Huw Lawlor Fitzgibbon
    Conor Delaney Fitzgibbon
    Tommy Walsh Fitzgibbon
    Paddy Deegan
    Conor O'Shea
    Robert Lennon Fitzgibbon
    Jason Cleere Fitzgibbon
    Tom Kenny
    Conor Browne
    Aidan Nolan
    Michael Carey Fitzgibbon
    Robbie Fitzpatrick

James Maher
    Conor Fogarty
    Richie Leahy Fitzgibbon

Richie Hogan
    Walter Walsh
    Martin Keoghan Fitzgibbon
    Liam Blanchfield Fitzgibbon
    Billy Ryan Fitzgibbon
    Kevin Kelly
    Ger Aylward Injured finger should play hopefully
    John Donnelly Fitzgibbon
    Pat Lyng
    Shane Murphy Fitzgibbon
    Niall Brassill

I can't see Cody not picking lads who have played Fitzgibbon but will obviously only try and pick a few If I was picking a team v Cork I would pick this

Eoin Murphy

Paul Murphy
    Conor Delaney
    Tommy Walsh

Conor O'Shea
    Paddy Deegan
    Conor Browne

James Maher
    Conor Fogarty

Mossy Keoghan
    Richie Hogan
    Kevin Kelly
    Billy Ryan
    Walter Walsh
    Ger Aylward

I can't see Cody not picking lads who have played Fitzgibbon but will obviously only try and pick a few If I was picking a team v Cork I would pick this

Eoin Murphy

Paul Murphy
    Conor Delaney
    Tommy Walsh

Conor O'Shea
    Paddy Deegan
    Conor Browne

James Maher
    Conor Fogarty

Mossy Keoghan
    Richie Hogan
    Kevin Kelly
    Billy Ryan
    Walter Walsh
    Ger Aylward

I would put Huw Lawlor in at Full back... just to give him a taste., leave him have a run of games at the position.
    I don't know/doubt it if Cody will use him for the Championship though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I normally like your posts TBTC but that half back line is cat and would get murdered by Cork

Delaney will definitely be on the half back line

• Advertisement

I would put Huw Lawlor in at Full back... just to give him a taste., leave him have a run of games at the position.
    I don't know/doubt it if Cody will use him for the Championship though ?

Personally I've yet to be impressed by Huw Lawlor at Full back and for me Conor Delaney is our answer to that problem so lets stop messing around and get him in there from the start let him settle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement