Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I normally like your posts TBTC but that half back line is cat and would get murdered by Cork

Delaney will definitely be on the half back line

As I said I think he's our answer to the FB position and the sooner we stop messing around and get him in there the better we'll be. Do I think that's the best half back line we'll have all year? No.

It's close to what I think they might pick given the players available and having played Fitzgibbon for UCD, UCC and UL tomorrow and Friday. They might play Jason Cleere in there either. What half back line would you pick from whats available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

As I said I think he's our answer to the FB position and the sooner we stop messing around and get him in there the better we'll be. Do I think that's the best half back line we'll have all year? No.

It's close to what I think they might pick given the players available and having played Fitzgibbon for UCD, UCC and UL tomorrow and Friday. They might play Jason Cleere in there either. What half back line would you pick from whats available?

Conor O'Shea does not deserve an other go, he has been dreadful every time i have seen him play, he has no pace and when turned game over, he got crucified against Wexford in the championship against 5 forwards last year and was whipped off at half time, Rob Lennon is going down a similar route at the moment.

Was Billy Ryan carrying an injury into the club semi final, i heard he is out for a few weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Delaney at 5 and Lawlor at 3. I'd even throw Fogarty back there and leave Leahy at midfield.

Delaney Deegan Fogarty

Although I can understand the logic of giving Conor Browne game time

Delaney at 5 and Lawlor at 3. I'd even throw Fogarty back there and leave Leahy at midfield.

Delaney Deegan Fogarty

Although I can understand the logic of giving Conor Browne game time
    Yep I'd be happy with that, I just realised I totally forgot Enda Morrissey, he'll definitely be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I'd like to see a bit of youth and some pace added to the backs one thing we lacked last year. Also some scoring forwards that have had good seasons like bolger but that won't happen even though he would improve the panel. Would it be a disaster if relegation happened? Given the amount of hurling played over a year with the late club finish, the teams involved still now and the colleges would we be better equipped less hurling with the league and better prepped for the championship. I'd rather see young lads learning there trade against your carlows and laois rather than get destroyed by the experience of tipp and Cork. Its just a matter of opinion and thought before people have a go. The last 2 all Ireland winners have come from 1B and I'm sure Waterford will fare well and be ready for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

as far as i know there will be no relegation this year but teams will be seeded so it wouldnt be the end of the world.
    I agree with tbtc that i would like to see delaney tried at 3 but id be happy if lawlor is given a run and just going on the wexford match the last day the backs done ok id like to see murphy back corner back.We seemed to struggle badly in that game in attack granted we were down numbers but what id be looking to trying to find during this league is some scoring fowards.Id be hopefull kevin kelly and adrian mullen can be a threat during the summer but for now hopefully a few lads will be able put there hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

UCD got a good beating from UCC today. Two Kilkenny players at 3 and 6 Huw Lawlor and Rob Lennon. Doesn't inspire confidence. Rob Lennon is just not inter county standard. Far to slow to turn

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

hopefully richie and walter will start

mullinr2 wrote: »
    UCD got a good beating from UCC today. Two Kilkenny players at 3 and 6 Huw Lawlor and Rob Lennon. Doesn't inspire confidence. Rob Lennon is just not inter county standard. Far to slow to turn
    i see that according to the team selection and it mightnt be correct lennon was at 3 and the ff from tipp got 1-5 from play i think and lawlor was listed at 4.Intresting to see browne selected at 11 he got two points.i like browne i think theres something in him to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Without much prompting it was inevitable that Tommy Walsh would single out Tommy Walsh.

When asked about the future of Kilkenny hurling, or this their 21st season under Brian Cody, Walsh pointed firstly towards his Tullaroan club mate, relation and namesake, now primed to take one of the corner back positions in the upcoming Allianz Hurling League.

No pressure, naturally, at least not when trying to match Walsh’s nine All-Ireland titles, nine All Stars, seven National Leagues, 10 Leinster titles, and status as one of the finest ever wing backs in the game. Still there is an encouraging word of endorsement.

“Our grandfathers would have been brothers, lived inside in Tullaroan, so what are we, second cousins?” says Walsh, who retired from Kilkenny at the end of 2014, but still plays alongside his namesake with Tullaroan.

“He was on the panel early last year, then got a groin injury, but was a three-year county minor a well, and we always said he’d get to the top. I’ve been watching him since very young, and we always knew . . . we thought he would have made an impact last year until he got the injury.

“But I see him in training with the club and he’s able to do things that the ordinary lads can’t do. He has it.

“He plays anywhere in defence, he’s fast so he can do a man-marking job if he has to. To make it an inter-county level you need a lot of luck, sometimes it could be the most important factor in it all, so hopefully he gets the rub of the green, gets a bit of luck. If he does he will definitely have an impact.”

The new Tommy Walsh also still has another year at under-21: “He’s a quiet guy, we’d be different in our characters, he’d be unassuming, but when he gets out on the field he’d be no different.”

Along with Walsh’s brother, Pádraig, plus Martin Keoghan, it means three Tullaroan players will likely feature this season, starting with the Allianz Hurling League, when Kilkenny welcome Cork to Nowlan Park on Sunday.

Any more Tommy Walshs coming?

“That’s it for now. There was a guy from Ballyhale, we’d go down there after the All-Irelands, because the captain would usually be there. There’s a lad down there, Tommy Walsh as well, and every time he used to meet me he’d just say, ‘well me?’. There is only the two of us in Tullaroan at the moment.”

Since retiring, Walsh’s insight into the game has been winning him much praise and he’ll serve as co-commentator on eir sport’s upcoming live league coverage.

“The last thing I ever thought I’d be involved in,” he says. “The number one thing is that I love it and if I didn’t like it I probably wouldn’t be doing it. On match day itself, you are going to a match and you are buzzing. I treat it like a match day as if I am playing myself.

“The hardest thing I found in my last year with Kilkenny when I was a sub, I missed the buzz in the lead up to the games because you don’t go through the same emotions and while on one side you don’t have the big game nerves, on the other side you don’t get anything back out of it so I found that very tough. Now on a Sunday going to a match, I’m not just as a supporter but with a job to do.”

Whatever about the outcome of 2019, Walsh also reckons his former team -mate Henry Shefflin, currently managing Ballyhale Shamrocks as they prepare for an All-Ireland club semi-final, is grooming himself to some day take over from Cody.

“I’d say Henry would probably be your most obvious choice. He’s brilliant with people. Like, even when he was hurling that time, he was the star of the team for so long, but there was never any jealousy, there was never any envy towards him, because he is a man of the people as well.

“But I thought the supporters and general public in Kilkenny were very good to Brian Cody last year as regards they gave him space. I think youngsters need space. It was different when we were hurling because a youngster coming in was coming on to a seasoned team.

“I’d be more interested in seeing is there anyone putting their hand up saying ‘Brian pick me come championship’ as opposed to the result because I think when you have so many young lads coming at the one time, it’s much more difficult because you are trying to prove yourself first of all and then you are trying to prove yourself as a team.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/another-tommy-walsh-set-to-step-into-limelight-with-kilkenny-1.3767194

• Advertisement

Yeah couldn't agree with Tommy more. I've been waiting for young Tommy Walsh to come of age and hopefully this is the year we'll get to see him in League and Championship for Kilkenny. I've been impressed with him for St Kierans and Tullaroan and the minors. I think he has great talent and reads the game very well. I thought he was very good in Wexford 2 weeks ago until he started to tire in the second half and hit a few poor clearances directly to Wexford men, at least one was returned for a point. His first half display was very good however and he will be a real addition to the defence this year. Unfortunately he was injured last year and missed his shot at intercounty but seems to be in good form if Enniscorthy was anything to go by. He's young yet and will make mistakes but in a few years he has everything needed to be one of the best in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Walter won't be involved this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

brookville wrote: »
    i see that according to the team selection and it mightnt be correct lennon was at 3 and the ff from tipp got 1-5 from play i think and lawlor was listed at 4.Intresting to see browne selected at 11 he got two points.i like browne i think theres something in him to work with.

Lennon was centreback and easily UCDs best player. Browne played mid field and looked v mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hes heading off for a spin in his new sponsored jeep :p :pac: ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Lennon was centreback and easily UCDs best player. Browne played mid field and looked v mobile.

Lennon also had an excellent club campaign last year at full back for bennettsbridge. Himself and Joey were definitely the stand out full backs in the club championship last year.

Neewollah wrote: »
    Lennon also had an excellent club campaign last year at full back for bennettsbridge. Himself and Joey were definitely the stand out full backs in the club championship last year.

Both way off inter county full backs. Look id like to have either at my club but both are way off top quality full backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Full back is one of the toughest position on the pitch and the standard of inter county forwards nowadays is phenomenal hence why I'd say Cody is persisting with Padraig Walsh at full back as being a spoiler at full back isn't going to cut it anymore. Bar Daithi Burke for Galway I don't think any team is blessed with a superstar full back. You'd want to be fairly strong mentally to go out every week and have to mark one of Canning, Callinan, Conlon, Flanagan, McDonald, Harnedy and co. Nowadays I think if a full back was able to restrict these forwards to 2 points max per game it would be a good days work.

Whats up with Walter Walsh that he is out ?

Neewollah wrote: »
    Full back is one of the toughest position on the pitch and the standard of inter county forwards nowadays is phenomenal hence why I'd say Cody is persisting with Padraig Walsh at full back as being a spoiler at full back isn't going to cut it anymore. Bar Daithi Burke for Galway I don't think any team is blessed with a superstar full back. You'd want to be fairly strong mentally to go out every week and have to mark one of Canning, Callinan, Conlon, Flanagan, McDonald, Harnedy and co. Nowadays I think if a full back was able to restrict these forwards to 2 points max per game it would be a good days work.

Liam Ryan, Eoghan O'Donnell, Mikey Casey, David Mcnerney, Daithi Burke, Conor Gleeson all are excellent full backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

McInerney is a terrible full back. Completely incapable of tackling a forward without fouling him.
    Are you talking about Gleeson of Waterford? I hope not.
    Casey and Burke are excellent.
    Liam Ryan is fine but he's no world beater either.

Don't know enough about O' Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Village87 wrote: »
    Both way off inter county full backs. Look id like to have either at my club but both are way off top quality full backs.
    I disagree about joey.unfairly scape goated for 16 IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

We have a good full back in C Delany he has shown up through the grades what he is well capable of hopefully he will be tried in that position he went out of favour last year due to a disapllinary matter correct me if I am wrong. Hugh Lawlor to is shown signs of a good player he was one of the few players that tried hard in that second half against limerick u21s 2017 and club last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

dubcat51 wrote: »

You are always remembered for what went wrong, that day the players outside our full back line some hadn't a great day. The ball was been pucked out on top of our half forward line made heroes out of the tipp half back line.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    dubcat51 wrote: »

You are always remembered for what went wrong, that day the players outside our full back line some hadn't a great day. The ball was been pucked out on top of our half forward line made heroes out of the tipp half back line.
    granted we were exposed that day and tipp were excellent but our full back line didnt even lay a finger on them.Way to nice that day in my opinion.
    i agree with the above id like to see delney tried he has experience now and this should be the league to try him.

Joe Daly wrote: »

Kilkenny made a hero out of Ronan Maher that day. Maher has been very poor since. Lovely hurler but just no pace and gets exposed in the backs during the summer. Tipp have been trying him midfield and even centre forward lately

Heard from one of our ex players today, Wally is struggling with a calf strain. He heard he was unlikely to make it.

Heard from one of our ex players today, Wally is struggling with a calf strain. He heard he was unlikely to make it.
    our attack could look a little light hopefully kelly and hogan can go well and maybe leahy could be pushed into the fowards.Id say cody would like convert leahy into a half foward because he can score and win primary possesion although his best position is probably mf.Hopefully this league will throw up a james maher or paddy deegan both had good year last year for us.

brookville wrote: »
    our attack could look a little light hopefully kelly and hogan can go well and maybe leahy could be pushed into the fowards.Id say cody would like convert leahy into a half foward because he can score and win primary possesion although his best position is probably mf.Hopefully this league will throw up a james maher or paddy deegan both had good year last year for us.

James Maher excellent. There is an awful lot of praise and promotion of Deegan here. I still have to be convinced. He survived corner back last year with a few tough days. He has a long way to go before he is established imo.

• Advertisement

v Cork
    E Murphy
    P Murphy, H Lawlor, T Walsh
    C Delaney, P Deegan, E Morrissey
    J Maher, C Fogarty
    J Donnelly, G Aylward, G Malone
    B Ryan, K Kelly, L Scanlon
    Subs
    D Brennan
    R Lennon